Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

Re: [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Again, I totally get that <> as a cost makes sense, but producing <> makes no sense at all since producing <> is no different than producing (1).
    Since that doesn't make sense, it makes sense that <> only pays for <> while 1 pays for 1 or <>.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Please give us a new moon that removes subtypes from non-basic lands.
    This makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering Prairie Stream just happened a month ago.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    But how do you represent "two of this mana must be colorless" in a mana cost?
    Again. . . . I totally get <> as a cost. But producing <> makes no sense unless <> is treated differently than producing generic mana.

Again, I totally get that <> as a cost makes sense, but producing <> makes no sense at all since producing <> is no different than producing (1).
    I agree 100% as a cost modification it makes sense, on a land it doesn't, unless it's a new varriant of snow. I think I've made my position on this clear so I'll stop harping on it.

Basic Lands with no type is a pretty big change to how the rules currenly work.

Are we going to get creatures with no creature types next?

This makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering Prairie Stream just happened a month ago.
    I don't get what you mean. Prairie Stream would tap for <>, it would be super OP, and wasn't meant to be taken too seriously since I don't think Wizards is nearly sadistic enough to print such a non-basic hoser. I would love to play with it, though.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Since that doesn't make sense, it makes sense that <> only pays for <> while 1 pays for 1 or <>.
    If that's the case then Wastes are SUPER PARASITIC, in that they are only useful and playable within this one set (not even a block)!

If that's the case then Wastes are SUPER PARASITIC, in that they are only useful and playable within this one set (not even a block)!
    Correct.

Would that totally shock you?

Hope for the best, fear the worst....

The worst in this case being a new varriant of snow in which <> is a more exclusive version of much like Snow Islands can pay for both U and Snow, <> can pay for both <> or

I promise I'm done.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Correct.
    I guess my argument is that wizards wouldn't make a whole new basic land for such a parasitic mechanic. However, my best guess to solve the whole <> as produced mana, is that: <> as a cost means generic or colorless can pay it, but <> produced can ONLY pay for colorless sort of like shrine of the foresaken gods, because without some difference producing <> and (1) is exactly the same. Thus wastes would be able to be used for artifact and eldrazi decks. Again this is just a guess, but I don't think it would be parasitic, and I think their needs to be some distinction between producing <> and (1)

Part of the issue - I think - is the desire to have basic lands for colorless commander decks.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Part of the issue - I think - is the desire to have basic lands for colorless commander decks.
    Which is fine, which is why I don't think it will be parasitic to the extent proposed by Octopusman. However, as I stated, I personally believe there must be a distinction between producing <> or (1). My proposed distinction is that <> may only be used to pay for colorless spells and abilities (so in my proposal, you won't be able to use <> for a card that costs 4G and that doesn't have devoid). This would force wastes to only be used for eldrazi decks or artifact decks in EDH.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

And then a cycle of waste-duals that can also produce mana of a particular color ...
    There are 20 more Expedition's in Oath. I was wondering what they would be. This seems like a likely answer.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy View Post
    I agree 100% as a cost modification it makes sense, on a land it doesn't, unless it's a new varriant of snow. I think I've made my position on this clear so I'll stop harping on it.

Well, <> can be while is not <>, that's not really too complex. Maybe it's just me.

This shit is parasitic, but who cares, because 90% of new cards are parasitic in the sense that they suck and you barely even want to play them in Standard.

Are we going to get creatures with no creature types next?
    That already happened a long, long time ago.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

... may only be used to pay for colorless spells and abilities (so in my proposal, you won't be able to use <> for a card that costs 4G and that doesn't have devoid). This would force wastes to only be used for eldrazi decks or artifact decks in EDH.
    Abilities, to date, generally don't have a color characteristic. Distinguishing between "abilities" and "special actions" (like morph) on the mana side isn't going to be easy for people to understand either, and runs contrary to the "cards work the way you think they should" stuff WotC's been doing lately.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Abilities, to date, generally don't have a color characteristic. Distinguishing between "abilities" and "special actions" (like morph) on the mana side isn't going to be easy for people to understand either, and runs contrary to the "cards work the way you think they should" stuff WotC's been doing lately.
    Then maybe my theory only applies to mana costs then, or producing <> is exactly the same as producing 1 and it was made so for only aesthetic reasons, or its just a super parasitic mechanic, I give up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Again. . . . I totally get <> as a cost. But producing <> makes no sense unless <> is treated differently than producing generic mana.
    I think <> = . Just a simple label applied to an old mechanic. Nothing different than making Menace = This creature cannot be blocked except by two or more creatures.

I went over this already in the Barry's Land article. A Basic land with a type is a ridiculously huge change to how the rules work. A Basic land with no type is an easy workaround.

I don't get what you mean. Prairie Stream would tap for <>, it would be super OP, and wasn't meant to be taken too seriously since I don't think Wizards is nearly sadistic enough to print such a non-basic hoser. I would love to play with it, though.
    I read your post and thought of something completely different. My bad.

Which is fine, which is why I don't think it will be parasitic to the extent proposed by Octopusman. However, as I stated, I personally believe there must be a distinction between producing <> or (1). My proposed distinction is that <> may only be used to pay for colorless spells and abilities (so in my proposal, you won't be able to use <> for a card that costs 4G and that doesn't have devoid). This would force wastes to only be used for eldrazi decks or artifact decks in EDH.
    That's a lot of rules baggage for a card that's already "strictly inferior" to Plains. Unless I'm playing a format where the rules dictate what lands I can run (EDH), then by no means will I ever run Wastes unless there is a draw for me to do so. If it is because the mechanic is so parasitic that <> in a cost can only be paid by <>, effectively creating a sixth color only in OGW, then fine. Or, it could just be that Wastes is another card in the line of Darksteel Citadel, Radiant Fountain, or Reliquary Tower: a land that taps for with no color benefit, but a fringe benefit that makes giving up a color worth it. In this case, it's being Basic.

There are 20 more Expedition's in Oath. I was wondering what they would be. This seems like a likely answer.
    Doubtful. Since Wastes doesn't have a land type, this would be very odd.

I think <> = . Just a simple label applied to an old mechanic. Nothing different than making Menace = This creature cannot be blocked except by two or more creatures.
    If that is the case, then <> on a Land means something different then <> in the Casting Cost of a Spell or avactivation cost of an ability. That might be right, but that seems questionable.

I went over this already in the Barry's Land article. A Basic land with a type is a ridiculously huge change to how the rules work. A Basic land with no type is an easy workaround.
    This is my bad, i said type when I meant subtype. A Basic Land without a subtype is a pretty big change to how the rules of Lands work. You say this is an easy work around, but it's actually a bit tricker then that, becuase it'll require reworking how the Land Types Work (Rule 305.6) and how land subtypes work in general.

Land - (no subtype): Has no inherent mana abilities
    Land - Locus: Has no inherent mana abilities
    Land - Island Forest: would produce U or G due to inherent subtype abilities
    Basic Land - (No subtype): Would produce <>
    Basic Land - Island: would produce U

So a land with no subtype doesn't inherently tap for <>, but a Basic Land with no Subtype does... even though a land with subtype Island taps for U regardless of if it's basic or not.

IMO the idea that we are going to define the lack of a subtype as a specific rules case that only applies to lands with the supertype basic is pretty weird.

Consider this weird (and maybe not yet or maybe even ever possible rules senario)

You have a Land - Island Mountain in play, you play a card that gives it type Swamp in addition to it's other types. It now taps for U or B or R.
    You have a Basic Land - Island in play, you play a card that gives it type Swamp in addition to it's other types. It now taps for U or B.
    You have a Land - Island Mountain in play, you play a card that removes all of it's subtypes (don't think this currently exists) this land produces no mana (assuming no other abilities)
    You have a Basic Land - Island in play, you play a card that removes all of it's subtypes this land taps for <>.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

My bet:

<> pays for <> or 1
    1 generic mana does not pay for <>

Snow mana all over
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

So we would have 5 special foily lands that could tap for either <> OR their color. That seems...really lame.

If that is the case, then <> on a Land means something different then <> in the Casting Cost of a Spell or avactivation cost of an ability. That might be right, but that seems questionable.
    It's worth noting that on the effect side already means something different than on the cost side.

This is my bad, i said type when I meant subtype. A Basic Land without a subtype is a pretty big change to how the rules of Lands work. You say this is an easy work around, but it's actually a bit tricker then that, becuase it'll require reworking how the Land Types Work (Rule 305.6) and how land subtypes work in general.
    Although it's a bit ugly, you could have a basic land with a land type that's not a "basic land type," and attach rules similar to 305.6 to that land type.

Thread Information