Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch spoilers thread

For that matter its as simple as the weird utility lands like Mistveil Plains - just print a land with one subtype and the requisite text.

Baseball Field
    Land - Plains

(T: add W to your mana pool.)
    T: add D to your mana pool.

The problem with this is it kind of fucks with the idea that spells with a D in the cost are uniquely costed. If you can fetch a UD dual because it's an Island, then it's no different than a regularly costed spell.

I mean they COULD do this and maybe you'd see decks crop up that have easy access to D, and they would have rad manabase names like BUD Combro or DRUG Prison or something. Wouldn't that be some shit.

If they don't do this though, it actually kind of makes the old painlands a little better because they would effectively tap for three distinct kinds of mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    BUD Combro or DRUG Prison.
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The lack of a 'wastes' land type on the spoiled card does make my speculation about fetchable 'wastes-duals' less plausible. <shrug>
    That's true, and that wouldn't actually shock me at all. Since we know there are 10 Expeditions that are really pretty open right now. (My guess is 10 will be the dual manlands, 10 will be?)

I just don't see it turning into a Locus like situation, even more so if we have cards with different names (I.E. 'wastes-duals') and no common subtype.

Add one D to your mana pool for each card named waste and each card with type 'wastes' you control seems pretty ackward. Or any ability that scales like that.

As to Fetching wastes... two guesses, if things hold with what we have now and they have no subtype to fetch for, perhaps we get more cards that find "basic Lands" Perhaps we finally get the (absurdly good, but not completely busted)

Wastes of Time : Tap pay 1 life, sacrifice ~: Search your Libary for a Basic Land card and put it into play.

The other guess is they actually do have a subtype but uh... ?

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy View Post
    That's true, and that wouldn't actually shock me at all. Since we know there are 10 Expeditions that are really pretty open right now. (My guess is 10 will be the dual manlands, 10 will be?)
    There are enemy tap duals, and they could make 5 wastes-duals that have a basic land type, but also tap for D (so they'd be 'half fetchable').

The problem with this is it kind of fucks with the idea that spells with a D in the cost are uniquely costed. If you can fetch a UD dual because it's an Island, then it's no different than a regularly costed spell.
    Can you clarify what you mean by 'uniquely costed'? After all, a Volcanic Island is also an island, and it can be fetched to pay for .

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

DRUG Prison
    Oh boy, I can't wait for Patrick Chapin showing with a prison deck called DRUG Staxx or a brew based around Wheel and Deal called DRUG Dealer.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Oh boy, I can't wait for Patrick Chapin showing with a prison deck called DRUG Staxx or a brew based around Wheel and Deal called DRUG Dealer.

Someone say...wheel?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Real life experience probably helps

I am onboard the "D" train.

Git GUD.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Again. . . . I totally get <> as a cost. But producing <> makes no sense unless <> is treated differently than producing generic mana.
    There's no such thing as producing generic mana. There are only six types of mana, read the rules, section 106.1b: "There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless."

Generic mana only exists in costs. <> in a cost means "one colorless mana." in a cost means "one mana."

It's not complex at all.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    There's no such thing as producing generic mana. There are only six types of mana, read the rules, section 106.1b: "There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless."

Generic mana only exists in costs. <> in a cost means "one colorless mana." in a cost means "one mana."

It's not complex at all.
    I get all that - but that also means that all producers of colorless mana in the past will be erratad to produce D or <> whatever we're calling it now (I'm going to call it D since I want DRUG Prison and BUD ComBRO to happen). I am fine with that, but a little annoyed that they printed lands that produce (1) in a set in a block in which they implement this errata.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I get all that - but that also means that all producers of colorless mana in the past will be erratad to produce D or <> whatever we're calling it now (I'm going to call it D since I want DRUG Prison and BUD ComBRO to happen). I am fine with that, but a little annoyed that they printed lands that produce (1) in a set in a block in which they implement this errata.
    This is legit. They do goofy stuff like this. I'm trying to remember what exactly it was but there was a recent set where they keyworded a thing, and then the very next set it was on a few cards but not as a keyword, and it was real dumb. I can't remember what exactly I'm thinking about here, but it's definitely happened before and (I think) in the middle of a set, and it's super weird when they do that.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This is legit. They do goofy stuff like this. I'm trying to remember what exactly it was but there was a recent set where they keyworded a thing, and then the very next set it was on a few cards but not as a keyword, and it was real dumb. I can't remember what exactly I'm thinking about here, but it's definitely happened before and (I think) in the middle of a set, and it's super weird when they do that.
    They're probably trying to get a free pass because "hurr durr, 2 set block change".

Do you mean kicker?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Do you mean kicker?
    Hahaha

I think it was some evasion ability, like Intimidate or Menace of something. They keyworded it, then had the functional equivalent in the next set over. Sonething like that.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

easy access to D
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy View Post
    Add one D
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I am onboard the "D" train.

Apr 2011
    Germany

I'm already disappointed with the upcoming set.
    New Kozilek seems bad. And that <>-thingy is horrible no matter how it may actually work.
    A colorless basic land would be fine, but the <> mana symbol seems just dumb IMO.

Unless this is like Phyrexian mana, in which you pay some price like life. Wastes might just be a non-basic to get that mana without the alternate cost.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    And that <>-thingy is horrible no matter how it may actually work.
    A colorless basic land would be fine, but the <> mana symbol seems just dumb IMO.
    To me the only way it could work, and not be stupid, is if the symbol means "colorless mana only", which could be an interesting idea for designing cards.

But using it on a basic land (as oposed to just ) indicates that is might not be the case...

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I now have a 50 dollar bet riding on this on the Mana Drain. He says snow land, I say colourless cost.

I am seriously putting my money where my mouth is.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information