Thread: [EDH] Daxos, the Returned

May 2011
    Albany, NY

[EDH] Daxos, the Returned

I was pretty disappointed with a lot of the C15 stuff, but Daxos caught my eye as something new and different...so I figured I'd give him a go. Here's the list:

Commander:
    Daxos, the Returned

Enchantments:
    Aura of Silence
    Black Market
    Blind Obedience
    Cage of Hands
    Daxos's Torment
    Debtors' Knell
    Ghostly Prison
    Gift of Immortality
    Grasp of Fate
    Greater Auramancy
    Karmic Justice
    Land Tax
    Luminarch Ascension
    Myth Realized
    Opalescence
    Parallax Wave
    Phyrexian Arena
    Seal of Cleansing
    Seal of Doom
    Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Soul Snare
    Sphere of Safety
    Spirit Bonds
    Underworld Connections
    Vow of Duty
    Vow of Malice

Creatures:
    Academy Rector
    Ajani's Chosen
    Ashen Rider
    Celestial Ancient
    Doomwake Giant
    Erebos, God of the Dead
    Grim Guardian
    Mesa Enchantress
    Monk Idealist
    Oreskos Explorer
    Silent Sentinel
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Sun Titan
    Underworld Coinsmith

Instant:
    Argivian Find
    Mortify
    Path to Exile
    Return to Dust
    Swords to Plowshares
    Utter End

Sorcery:
    Damnation
    Death Grasp
    Merciless Eviction
    Obzedat's Aid
    Open the Vaults
    Replenish
    Toxic Deluge
    Unburial Rites

Artifacts:
    Commander's Sphere
    Crystal Chimes
    Lightning Greaves
    Mind Stone
    Orzhov Signet
    Sol Ring
    Wayfarer's Bauble

Lands:
    Bojuka Bog
    Caves of Koilos
    Command Tower
    Fetid Heath
    Ghost Quarter
    Godless Shrine
    Isolated Chapel
    Marsh Flats
    Orzhov Basilica
    11 Plains
    11 Swamp
    Tainted Field
    Temple of Silence
    Temple of the False God
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Vault of the Archangel
    Volrath's Stronghold

The general plan here is to cast enchantments and rack up experience counters. Plan B is to use Constellation triggers to do various things, and otherwise beat down with tokens.

Re: [EDH] Daxos, the Returned

Skybind is criminally underplayed and is effective even with only a few enchantments in the deck. I imagine it would be quite good here. If you pair it with Heliod, God of the Sun you can do some silly things as the tokens he creates are all enchantments. If those cards are not dealt with, you can essentially control the ebb and flow of the game.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    Skybind is criminally underplayed and is effective even with only a few enchantments in the deck. I imagine it would be quite good here. If you pair it with Heliod, God of the Sun you can do some silly things as the tokens he creates are all enchantments. If those cards are not dealt with, you can essentially control the ebb and flow of the game.
    Huh. I didn't even know that Skybind existed. It does seem quite good here, especially since Daxos also makes enchantment tokens for one less mana than Heliod. I'll have to track a copy down and give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

I didn't really read Daxos' text very well - he is quite solid! All of the new cards from the Commander set seemed mediocre, but I like that the BW deck has tracked in a slightly different direction. He would be really awesome if he cost BGW as that would push you into some excellent draw engines.

I have more suggestions, but I'm not sure how competitive you are looking to make this list. You seem to be running a grindy control shell and could benefit with a lot of format staples. White tends to benefit a lot from reusing its spells for value.

Serra's Sanctum
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Buried Ruin

Knight of the White Orchid
    Kor Cartographer
    Burnished Hart - excellent with Gift of Immortality

Weathered Wayfarer
    Enlightened Tutor
    Idyllic Tutor

Wall of Omens
    Mind's Eye

Cloudshift
    Martyr's Cause

Emeria Shepherd
    Crucible of Worlds

Oblivion Ring - solid removal and good with Sun Titan and a sac outlet
    Martyr's Bond
    Austere Command

Nov 2015
    Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Pretty solid, like an Astral Slide effect.
    Duel-Commander. I play Mardu. A lot.

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Comprehensive 1v1 Primer]
    Zurgo Helmsmasher [Superfriends/Walkerhaups]
    Kaalia of the Vast [Comprehensive 1v1 Primer]
    Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black Aggro]
    Brimaz, King of Oreskos [White Weenie]
    Zurgo Bellstriker [All-in-Red]

Follow me on Twitter @THEmtg3drinks for regular, semi-random thoughts about Magic and and prowrestling!

Skybind was actually pretty powerful in a certain Abzan Constellation deck before Theros rotated out. Repeatedly bouncing Siege Rhino was entertaining. Even the "gain 1 life" lands were nice in conjunction with Courser of Kruphix to gain life, or the scry lands for additional filtering.

Here, it increases the power of Ashen Rider, the land grabbers...basically any ETB effect. Bojuka Bog too. Emeria Shepherd and Karmic Guide could also do work. I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but I love the look of this deck and will hopefully get the Daxos deck among my xmas gifts this year.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I didn't really read Daxos' text very well - he is quite solid! All of the new cards from the Commander set seemed mediocre, but I like that the BW deck has tracked in a slightly different direction. He would be really awesome if he cost BGW as that would push you into some excellent draw engines.

I have more suggestions, but I'm not sure how competitive you are looking to make this list. You seem to be running a grindy control shell and could benefit with a lot of format staples. White tends to benefit a lot from reusing its spells for value.

Serra's Sanctum
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Buried Ruin

Knight of the White Orchid
    Kor Cartographer
    Burnished Hart - excellent with Gift of Immortality

Weathered Wayfarer
    Enlightened Tutor
    Idyllic Tutor

Wall of Omens
    Mind's Eye

Cloudshift
    Martyr's Cause

Emeria Shepherd
    Crucible of Worlds

Oblivion Ring - solid removal and good with Sun Titan and a sac outlet
    Martyr's Bond
    Austere Command
    All of these are great suggestions, and most of them were on my original "short list" for inclusion. I eventually made a conscious decision to exclude them (especially the tutors) in an effort to make the deck less "competitive". This is actually a big step for me, because most of my other decks run stuff like that pretty much without question. That said, I would really like to get a copy of Serra's Sanctum for the deck - I don't think it's too over the top, and I've never really had a chance to play around with it.

Wall of Omens should absolutely be in here - definitely an oversight on my part. I'll find some room somewhere. As for Oblivion Ring - I'm trying out Grasp of Fate in its place. It's still recurrable with Sun Titan, and it hits the same stuff, but it also hits every opponent, which I think is a big step up.

I don't particularly like Burnished Hart, just my personal opinion. It's pretty slow, and with most of the deck sitting at or below 3 CMC, I feel like I won't want to take 2 turns "off" to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    All of these are great suggestions, and most of them were on my original "short list" for inclusion. I eventually made a conscious decision to exclude them (especially the tutors) in an effort to make the deck less "competitive". This is actually a big step for me, because most of my other decks run stuff like that pretty much without question. That said, I would really like to get a copy of Serra's Sanctum for the deck - I don't think it's too over the top, and I've never really had a chance to play around with it.
    This is eminently understandable. I believe white still needs all the help it can get even in an underpowered meta, but I can't presume to know what kind of decks you are playing against.

As for Oblivion Ring - I'm trying out Grasp of Fate in its place. It's still recurrable with Sun Titan, and it hits the same stuff, but it also hits every opponent, which I think is a big step up.
    This is a good point. Oblivion Ring can go infinite with Sun Titan and a sac outlet, but something tells me you're not trying to do that.

I don't particularly like Burnished Hart, just my personal opinion. It's pretty slow, and with most of the deck sitting at or below 3 CMC, I feel like I won't want to take 2 turns "off" to make it worthwhile.
    I felt this away about this guy for a long time, but he is really good to push you into the late game especially when you can recur him repeatedly. I don't really know how to explain his benefits without direct play experience, but he's surprisingly solid.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

This is eminently understandable. I believe white still needs all the help it can get even in an underpowered meta, but I can't presume to know what kind of decks you are playing against.
    You're probably right. I haven't had an opportunity to actually play the deck yet, so I'll see how it goes. I've got a Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper deck I've been messing around with since he came out too, and that thing is hemorrhaging white cards every time I play it.

I felt this away about this guy for a long time, but he is really good to push you into the late game especially when you can recur him repeatedly. I don't really know how to explain his benefits without direct play experience, but he's surprisingly solid.
    I've used it before in a less-cohesive deck, and I was always fairly "meh" on it. There were times where I'm playing it Turn 3 and activating Turn 4 with nothing else going on, and yes, that's pretty great. The rest of the time I find it rotting in my hand, or sitting on top of my deck when I'd rather be drawing anything else. I've tried to keep my ramp to 1 and 2 mana where possible, and I tend to value cards that do other stuff too (see Mind Stone and Commander's Sphere) so that they're not completely and totally dead late. I think if I were going to add another ramp spell it would probably be Hedron Archive for exactly that reason.

Thread Information