Thread: Parallax Nexus and Wasteland Strangler

Parallax Nexus and Wasteland Strangler

I play Parallax Nexus, remove 3 fade counters and exile all 3 cards in my opponent's hand, then when I play Wasteland Strangler, do I get to look at the 3 cards exiled from Nexus and decide which card I want to pull into the graveyard?

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Parallax Nexus and Wasteland Strangler

Any card in exile is fair game; in the last of the rulings, the only time you need to randomly choose an exiled card is if it is face down. (example: Gustha's Scepter)
    Parallax Nexus does not specify cards are exiled face down, ergo they are face-up.

Or to put it more simply, any card exiled is face-up unless the effect that exiled it specifies face-down. You can see the cards as soon as they're exiled by the Nexus.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

May 2015
    PDX

Ok so forget the Nexus, just eat suspended rift bolts and ancestrals.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Ok so forget the Nexus, just eat suspended rift bolts and ancestrals.
    Now that you say that, I wish there was a cheap card using cards from the exile zone with a cool effect.
    A cabal therapy with a flashback cost that uses cards from exile for example...

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Any card in exile is fair game; in the last of the rulings, the only time you need to randomly choose an exiled card is if it is face down. (example: Gustha's Scepter)
    To be clear, are you suggesting that the selection would actually be random or are you suggesting that you would make the selection with hidden information continuing to be hidden throughout the process?

May 2015
    PDX

From the rulings section on strangler:
    Face-down cards in exile are grouped using two criteria: what caused them to be exiled face down and when they were exiled face down. If you want to put a face-down card in exile into its owner’s graveyard, you must first choose one of these groups and then choose a card from within that group at random. For example, say an artifact causes your opponent to exile his or her hand of three cards face down. Then on a later turn, that artifact causes your opponent to exile another two cards face down. If you use Wasteland Strangler to put one of those cards into his or her graveyard, you would pick the first or second pile and put a card chosen at random from that pile into the graveyard.

So, I really don't know with Gustha's Scepter. It does create distinct instances of exiling, but I've never heard of being forced to record face-down exiling order. Thinking about the flavor of the card I don't think the opponent is ever supposed to know which card is coming back to your hand. For example:
    1-opponent casts gitaxian, in response you hide card X (but they see a card Y and Z).
    2-they cabal card Z.
    3-next turn they recast cabal and you hide card Y.
    I doubt the opponent is, at any point after this, ever supposed to know which of the 2 cards would be returned to hand since they know card Y (and that it was the second face-down exile). The intent of the scepter is that they never have any idea what you'd be putting back in hand, and so strangler attacking this should be random...but that's an answer based on the cards intent vs. authoritative mechanics ruling.

Thread Information