Thread: Talk me off the ledge -- thinking of switching decks

Talk me off the ledge -- thinking of switching decks

Hey all -- I don't often have much to add on this board, but I do enjoy lurking and reading up on all the various topics of discussion.

One thing I often see written is "play what you know". I've been doing just this with miracles for the past 2 years or so. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm getting a whole lot better with the deck. Certain things have gotten easier, but I make WAY too many mistakes to be competitive. I often come away from matches thinking that my opponent is going to go back to his friends and describe me as the worst miracles player they have ever seen.

I'm registered to play at the SCG in Somerset on Saturday. I have my miracles deck all sleeved up and ready to go, but I'm only a couple of cards away from completing a Grixis Delver deck.

I have no time this week to play test (Thanksgiving and all that). Does it make more sense to take a deck that I "know" I suck playing to a tournament or to take one that I've never played at all. Understand that someone asking questions like this has no delusions that they're winning the tournament lol.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Talk me off the ledge -- thinking of switching decks

Quote Originally Posted by pnutbutr View Post
    Understand that someone asking questions like this has no delusions that they're winning the tournament lol.
    I think that answers your question. If you're not going to the tournament to win (though obviously that's sorta a goal), then I assume you're going because you want to have fun. So play whatever you think will give you the highest chance of having a lot of fun.

I've been feeling really off about MTG recently. Saturday, I borrowed Pox. I played 4 rounds and won 1 game. I had more fun in those four rounds than I've had playing Magic in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I think that answers your question. If you're not going to the tournament to win (though obviously that's sorta a goal), then I assume you're going because you want to have fun. So play whatever you think will give you the highest chance of having a lot of fun.

I've been feeling really off about MTG recently. Saturday, I borrowed Pox. I played 4 rounds and won 1 game. I had more fun in those four rounds than I've had playing Magic in a long time.
    I could not agree more with this. You have to decide for yourself if your #1 priority is winning or having fun. If it`s the latter (which I feel is more healthy), play the deck that appeals more to you at the moment and gives you a higher chance of having fun.

The only thing I`d like to add is that you shouldn`t make the mistake of scrapping your Miracles deck. When you`ve played a deck for that long, you`ve probably become attached to it, and even if you`re so burnt out on it right now that it`s hard to feel that attachment, you might fall in love with it all over again after a month or six with another deck.

There`s also a certain chance that you might find yourself kicking ass with Grixis Delver and you realize that you should have switched decks a long time ago. Sometimes decks and players just aren`t compatible - I`ve had decks like that, where a T1 deck is more than capable of achieving great things, just not in my hands, and then I switch to a different deck, maybe even a lower tier deck, and I feel more at home with it after just a short period of time and I just start winning.

Thanks for this... It may sound obvious, but I hadn't thought of it this way. I'll probably make a ton of mistakes with delver, but at least the games should be faster lol. Trying something new might be the most fun thing to do for me right now.

Don't worry... I'm not scrapping the miracles deck :) I just had a particularly rough week with it. Went to a 10 person tournament that had 2 copies of 12 post...

Thanks for this... It may sound obvious, but I hadn't thought of it this way. I'll probably make a ton of mistakes with delver, but at least the games should be faster lol. Trying something new might be the most fun thing to do for me right now.

Don't worry... I'm not scrapping the miracles deck :) I just had a particularly rough week with it. Went to a 10 person tournament that had 2 copies of 12 post...
    Trying hard to scrape together some sympathy for a Miracles deck facing bad match ups… nnnnope couldn`t do it, sorry.

:P

Haha I hear ya. Not looking for sympathy :)

Leaning towards just rolling the dice with the unknown deck. Like I said, I'm not winning anyway!

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Think of how many opportunities you'll have to grab lunch. That, and not playing the Miracles mirror every match.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Think of how many opportunities you'll have to grab lunch. That, and not playing the Miracles mirror every match.
    This is actually the genesis of the whole question lol

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    I switched from Miracles to Reanimator about a year ago primarily to get extra free time during tournaments. Naturally, I went to time my first two matches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

So after much internal debate, I ended up sticking with Miracles for the tournament. After playing to a draw against Shardless BUG in round 1, I thought it made the wrong decision. However being familiar with my sideboard proved to be so valuable throughout the day that I can't imagine trying to play a deck cold.

Went 2-2-2 and then dropped. Believe it or not, that is my best sanctioned tournament result in Legacy, so I'm pleased. The 2 draws may look like par for the course for a bad Miracles player, but I don't think they were my fault. I played against the slowest TES player of all time in round 6 to pick up my 2nd. I need to learn to be more assertive about asking opponents to pick up the pace.

Anyway thanks again for the advice. I actually picked up the last pieces I need for the Grixis Delver deck, so maybe I'll take that for a spin at the LGS.

I need to learn to be more assertive about asking opponents to pick up the pace.
    This is definitely important. I played miracles at Somerset and always ended before 5 minutes left in the round (including a mirror match) because my opponents played at a good pace. Now granted I went 3-5 drop after facing enchantress and 2 Cloudpost players, so perhaps I should take a little more time to make the correct decisions. I've thought about switching decks, but I feel like I have a better chance if I just keep practicing with Miracles. It's a tough decision.

Thread Information