Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: [Deck/Primer] Countersliver (MeatHooks)

Re: [Deck/Primer] Countersliver (MeatHooks)

Nobody saw this list?

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=17133&f=LE

Any comments on the Sliver Legion? Don't know if it's good. Funny that he replaced the brainstorms by 3 STP + Harmonic Sliver. I can understand it, more than once, the brainstorm didn't really help me or just locked me.

Sliver legion is a quite good 7/7 creature with coat of arms effect!!!! but I think it's just for fun, I wouldn't include it cause it's extremely difficult to be casted. Yeah, you have caverns and plenty of duals but I prefer keeping my lands untapped to be able to cast a fow to protect my slivers...

Nov 2016
    France

Legion looks like a spicy secret tech here, rarely castable and rarely useful. Long game? a vial to blow to 5? 1 open mana of each color? In need of a blue card to pitch to fow? well, go on and play legion...

The manabase of this list looks fine tho!
    Still not a fan of the 12 lord (+legion lol) package
    STP why not? but i would go for cantrips instead, even if sometimes it can indeed lock yourself
    I play slivers on untap.in as usrdiane . Hit me up!

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Sliver Legion is interesting, I suppose; it seems like you would never actually cast it, but pushing Aether Vial up to 5 counters to sneak one in to break a board stall might be good.

Seems a little win-more, though - I'm not really sure it's worth the room. Plus if I was going for one of the 5c sliver lords, I would go for Sliver Queen - pumping out additional dudes seems preferable to pumping existing ones. Legion requires you to have a board presence already, but Queen gives you one.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Speaking of Red, Hunter Sliver and Striking Sliver is a wonderful combo. You can easily kill utility creatures like SFM, DRS, Wirewood Symbiote, etc. I might slightly prefer Hunter over Venom, as you can then use your army as removal. Alternately, take out the single Winged and a Striking to run both Venom and Hunter, as any combination of Venom+Hunter+Striking removes much of the need for evasion.
    You can also play Quilled Sliver which combo's nicely with venom sliver as well and sentinel sliver if you want to get cute, but ultimately creatures aren't what this deck has problems with.

The main problems that this deck has is dealing with Combo, IE S&S, ANT/TES, Lands / Turbo Depths. To fight this, I think an "almost all-in-slivers" deck is required, which can streamline the manabase as spells aren't being used. I want to try out a new mana base that is more akin to goblins / D&T, something like:

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Unclaimed Territory
    4 Sliver Hive
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadon Port
    4 Aether Vial

4 force of will
    32 slivers (or 30 + 2 phantasmal images, which on hind site might be hard to cast with this mana base).

Unfortunately we have to cut mutavault to make this work, and even though i love that card (its won me many many many many games), I think the added disruption will prove to be helpful.

I think this will help to slow down the other decks while allowing ours to push through. Maybe some Thorn of amethyst in the side would be helpful as well against the other combo decks, With this mana base, thorn is preferred over Thalia although it won't work with vial (and will likely be hit G2 and G3 with incidental hate). Damping sphere might also just be the additional hate we needed to fight off combo but thorn might just be better (or run both). It also happens to shut slow down the lands from S&S if we can land it in time.

Quote Originally Posted by mambosong View Post
    You can also play Quilled Sliver which combo's nicely with venom sliver as well and sentinel sliver if you want to get cute, but ultimately creatures aren't what this deck has problems with.

The main problems that this deck has is dealing with Combo, IE S&S, ANT/TES, Lands / Turbo Depths. To fight this, I think an "almost all-in-slivers" deck is required, which can streamline the manabase as spells aren't being used. I want to try out a new mana base that is more akin to goblins / D&T, something like:

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Unclaimed Territory
    4 Sliver Hive
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadon Port
    4 Aether Vial

4 force of will
    32 slivers (or 30 + 2 phantasmal images, which on hind site might be hard to cast with this mana base).

Unfortunately we have to cut mutavault to make this work, and even though i love that card (its won me many many many many games), I think the added disruption will prove to be helpful.

I think this will help to slow down the other decks while allowing ours to push through. Maybe some Thorn of amethyst in the side would be helpful as well against the other combo decks, With this mana base, thorn is preferred over Thalia although it won't work with vial (and will likely be hit G2 and G3 with incidental hate). Damping sphere might also just be the additional hate we needed to fight off combo but thorn might just be better (or run both). It also happens to shut slow down the lands from S&S if we can land it in time.
    I think the manabase might give you problems. They aren't unsurmountable problems, just some issues. I can see sacrificing mutavault for wastelands or rishadon port, but not both. You lose too much ability to cast crystalline or hibernation on turn 2 to gain advantage. In an all-in build, we are trying to race an opponent and don't have the luxury of waiting around like D&T does setting up an aggro clock with hatebears.

Here is Daniel Nunes latest All-In List. I have proxied it up (Karakas and FoW and a 3rd Ethersworn are all I need to finish it). It is part of the Legacy Meathooks Facebook group.

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Sliver Hive
    4 Unclaimed Territory
    4 Mutavault
    3 Ancient Ziggurat -- I use 2 Ancient Ziggurat and 1 Gemstone Caverns
    2 Karakas

4 Galerider Sliver
    4 Striking Sliver
    2 Sidewinder Sliver
    4 Predatory Sliver
    4 Sinew Sliver
    3 Muscle Sliver
    4 Crystalline Sliver
    4 Hibernation Sliver
    2 Winged Sliver

4 Aether Vial
    4 Force of Will

Sideboard
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Harmonic Sliver
    1 Darkheart Sliver
    2 Syphon Sliver
    2 Hunter Sliver

This provides a quick enough clock forcing people to have it or not. It isn't perfect, but we have tools that help us in these matchups. Wasteland might be useful as well in place of mutavault, but it helps our aggro hands so much.

Quote Originally Posted by worldsaverinc View Post
    I think the manabase might give you problems. They aren't unsurmountable problems, just some issues. I can see sacrificing mutavault for wastelands or rishadon port, but not both. You lose too much ability to cast crystalline or hibernation on turn 2 to gain advantage.
    Has anyone actually tested it though or is all of this just conjecture? I don't plan on sitting around like DnT but instead to play them similarly to how goblins use them for disruption while still out aggro-ing the opponent.

You are right in that it'll make the turn 2 crystalline/hibernation sliver play more difficult, but I planned on cutting 2 hibernation slivers for diffusion slivers anyways because I'm not super impressed with the card.

Quote Originally Posted by mambosong View Post
    Has anyone actually tested it though or is all of this just conjecture? I don't plan on sitting around like DnT but instead to play them similarly to how goblins use them for disruption while still out aggro-ing the opponent.

You are right in that it'll make the turn 2 crystalline/hibernation sliver play more difficult, but I planned on cutting 2 hibernation slivers for diffusion slivers anyways because I'm not super impressed with the card.
    David Nunes has extensively tested his manabase. I am not sure he has tested yours. He just 5-0ed a league with his.

I like Hibernation for things to do with Aether Vial. They are also 2/2 creatures which are relevant at times. I like being able to bounce a creature as a block and have it live or prevent lifelink or them gaining life. For example, you can block a thoughtknot seer and gain 2 life by bouncing the sliver until you get enough on board.

Quote Originally Posted by worldsaverinc View Post
    David Nunes has extensively tested his manabase. I am not sure he has tested yours. He just 5-0ed a league with his.
    Yeah, I saw that he did that which is great. I'm not questioning whether or not his manabase is solid. I'm just looking for some untapped innovation. I'm in the process of acquiring them in paper, which may take awhile but when i get around to testing it I'll post honest results of them. Unfortunately I don't have MTGO which would've helped speed up the testing progress since I only get to play paper legacy once a week at most.

Thread Information