Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck/Primer] Countersliver (MeatHooks)

Re: [Deck/Primer] Countersliver (MeatHooks)

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Is Misty an availability thing? I'm wondering if running some number of Polluted Delta will help spread risk and increase chances of being able to fetch the duals you need. Back in the day we ran Strand/Delta, and were then able to grab our Scrubland when needed.
    Nah its not availability I've got like 20 of each fetch.... I personally am not going to play scrubland ever. I would run Savannah. I understand that scrubland casts everything but if your stuck on scrubland island times sound bad. I want to be able to fetch for island fetch for Savannah and cast everything besides hibernation. Savanaah also casts harmonic with tundra and scrubland does not. Polluted delta seems fine if your playing scrubland still but scrubland is the last land I'm trying to add. I'd probably play horizon canopy before scrubland.

Anyone at Columbus?

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDopestXander View Post
    Anyone at Columbus?
    Which 75 will you bring at Columbus?

Hey guys! Sorry for no posts lately. I was in a legacy grind. Managed to do well at a few. I got 11th at eternal extravaganza and had two feature matches there. If you look up tales of adventure history you could find my match against akash naidu on UB omni tell. But yeah the decks still killin it and I love it. I managed to earn 2 scg invites using only slivers decks (few modern opens with slivers.) so hopefully that can give the deck some credit, even when I'm not getting 4th I'm doing well enough to get scg points and advance! I updated my list. As I do every week. But if anyone interested I posted it to reddit. I'll add it here tomorrow or something. But yeah I remember promising you all some math to defenitivly prove that 3 brainstorms is correct. So here it is

Brainstorm math....
    Actualy first one statement. This deck cannot productively cast a brainstorm until turn three, and that requires you making aal you land drops. If you have to cast brainstorm on turn one or two for any reason you made an incorrect Milligan decision and shouldn't have kept. With that being said. I don't want extra brainstorms I'm not casting cluttering up my hand while I'm trying to set up a turn 4. After I've set up I'll brain storm to find what I need to close the game. But I don't want to brainstorm to find what I need to open the game. Make sense? Anyways heres the math and I'll walk thru it

With 3 brainstorms

I worked thru this in reverse. you see how many cards are "failures" ( aka not brainstorm). if you have three copies before you draw your first card you have* 57/60 failures. After each draw the odds go 56/59, 55/58, 54/57... Etc. You then multiply each side and then divide those numbers and you get 68.4% chance that out of your first seven cards that all are failures. Or you have a 31.6% chance to have at least one copy of brainstorm in your opening hand. You can do the same equation for a card with four copies, you just begin at 56/60 and go down from there. That will result in a 42.8% chance to have a brainstorm in your opening hand. Or* 10%~ less likely chance to have a brainstorm in your opening hand with 3 copies than you are with four. Aka 1 game out of 10 that you have brainstorm in your opening hand I won't. I like those odds and heres the second part... Remember I don't want it until turn three? Let me show u my odds of having it on turn 3 vs a player with a 4 of seeing that card in their opening hand simply I am trying to illustrate the different probabilities of having a specific card in your opening hand as a 3 of and a 4 of as well as a 3 of on your third draw step vs a 4 of in your opener.. So I layed out the fractions for each card you draw like so

3 of brainstorm

57/60
    56/59
    55/58
    54/57
    53/56
    52/55
    51/54

4 of brainstorm

56/60
    55/59
    54/58
    53/57
    52/56
    51/55
    50/54
    Those each represent the odds of each card you draw being a brainstorm so these fractions represent your opening hand as a 3 of and as a 4 of ...

Then I multiplied the left side and the right side and divided the sums like this

(57*56*55*54*53*52*51)/(60*59*58*57*56*55*54)

And I got 68.4% chance to not have brainstorm and then subtracted from 100% to get the percentage to have it (31.6%) as a 3 of.

I got 39.5% to have it if it's a 4 of using the same method... I'll even illustrate this too

(56*55*54*53*52*51*50)/(60*59*58*57*56*55*54)

The second part is just to illustrate the probability of having it in my hand After 3 draws, to show that with 3 copies, by the 3rd draw your just as likely to have it as someone with a 4 of is to have it in their opener. I basically just added 3 more succesion of the pattern like this

57/60
    56/59
    55/58
    54/57
    53/56
    52/55
    51/54
    50/53
    49/52
    48/51

See what I did there. You make a fraction of the probability to draw a success (brainstorm in this case.) you can use this equation for any subsequent turn. You can accomadate for drawing extra cards or to figure out odd to see the second copy of a 3 of or a 4 of or a 1 of Whatever you want... in conclusion using that method, by my third DRAW STEP (not turn) I'll have a 42.8% chance to have at least one brainstorm in hand. In other words. I have a slightly higer chance to have it I. Hand by turn three than so one with 4 copies is to have it in their opener. Hopefully this isn't convoluted and makes enough sense. Ask any questions if needed!
    Last edited by ThaDopestXander; 07-27-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Hope not to take too much wind out of your sails, but this is not a new thing in magic theorycrafting.

You can use my spreadsheet for more of the same:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=892927662

HTH
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Hope not to take too much wind out of your sails, but this is not a new thing in magic theorycrafting.

You can use my spreadsheet for more of the same:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=892927662

HTH
    I'm aware, but apparently even on the gp circuit people don't understand this so I assume the average player doesn't so I just wanted to explain it for people who didn't understand this method. Maybe thats not anyone on this forum but a lot of people read this thread it seems. I've had a lot of people talk to me about what I've said on here and reddit, so I figured this would be a fine place to put some concrete my.here that I can point too when people want to argue with me about my deck. Haha thanks for bearing with this if you already understand all of this. Also if anyone thinks that brainstorm should be a 4 of in spite of this I'd be really curious to know why. Also sorry for the super manly typing I'm using a tablet and the combination of thumb typing and auto correct kinda makes it difficult at times.

Heres an updated list

4 galerider sliver
    4 crystalline sliver
    4 sinew sliver
    4 predatory sliver
    3 muscle sliver
    3 hibernation sliver
    2 phantasmal image

4 aether vial
    4 force of will
    3 brainstorm
    3 daze
    2 Sylvan library
    1 Chrome mox

4 mutavault
    4 flooded strand
    3 Misty rainforest
    2 cavern of souls
    1 tundra
    1 tropical island
    1 underground sea
    1 Savannah
    1 island
    1 plains

Sideboard
    3 pithing needle
    3 harmonic sliver
    3 thalia, guardian of thraben
    2 flusterstorm
    4 surgical extraction

The 4th surgical could be almost whatever u want, it's Necrotic for me if I'm not playing the set of surgicals. I'm going to run 4 no matter what tho from now on. The card has made lands not only winable but it seems in my favor. I won my last four sanctioned matches against lands. Every match since Jarvis yu.... Ugh don't even get me started on that. But yeah its also really good in other match ups too, like pithing needle. I won a mulligan to 2 as scg Worcester with the hand of surgical surgical vs. Reanimatior... So that was pretty tight. Actually that match is a crazy story if u guys are interested in that lol. Alright one rambling... There's the list

Mar 2015
    Paris

Hi Xander,

How do you deal with burn with no lifegain and no chalice?

Often even with Syphon they are too quick (and can easily deal with Thalia).

I was thinking of switching 2 Syphon of the SB for two Darkheart.

What are your records vs Eldrazi? The Striking + Venom strategy in the full sliver version is quite effective.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrab77 View Post
    Hi Xander,

How do you deal with burn with no lifegain and no chalice?

Often even with Syphon they are too quick (and can easily deal with Thalia).

I was thinking of switching 2 Syphon of the SB for two Darkheart.

What are your records vs Eldrazi? The Striking + Venom strategy in the full sliver version is quite effective.

Thanks
    i havn't been faced with burn much lately, but ive played against it once and UR price delver twice witch is a glorified burn deck. i took a devastating loss to the UR deck on camera at eternal extravaganza in round 6 to fall to 5-1. end of my turn price, untap price of the top was worth over hald my life. i followed that match with my loss to akash naidu witch ultimately knocked me out of top 8. the following round i got the UR delver deck again, that game with fetching my island and plains first i was able to race them almost effortlessly. having the two phantasmal image in the deck are great in this match up. maybe it seems counter intuitive but your already leaning hard on crystalline (sometimes its right to hold it and give you opponent the option to bolt some guys to save you some life, depending on your hand) in the matchup most of the time, and if you dont have the crystal you play the phantasmal as the final lord for the kill and hope they dont have a bolt at the ready that turn. the critical mass of lords is obviously key so even if you dont draw phantasmal image it helps just by creating that higher density of lords in your deck. i wil say that darkheart sliver is possibly, in my opinion, the third most powerful two many sliver behind crystalline and hibernation. so its absolutely fine to play that card in your sb (even a one of in the main if you feel inclined) to combat the burn decks. i dont think syphon is the better life gain option but its probably fine.

my record against eldrazi is pretty good, its hard to say exactly 6 - 3 ish is my best answer. in the classic i was able to point my swords at some relevant drazi. usually though i use flying to race and phantasmal to finish. phantasmal image coming down as a reality smasher to tip the clock is a huge boon. dont add striking sliver or venom sliver to your deck. please dont. the deck that uses those cards is a completely different deck known as all in slivers. they play closer to 12 5 color lands while i play 2. the mana base doesnt allow adding a red 1 drop, and your also asking for a 2 card combo out of the sideboard to beat one deck. like there isnt another deck i want that against. like i guess d n t but you shouldnt be losing that match up often anyways. how many of each would you play? i just dont think thats a realistic option. if you really want to beat eldrazi play 4 path and 3 necrotic. maybe even add the 3d image. you could try wasteland or something if you want but thats gonna be rough on your mana base. yeah i think just play the one mana white removal, i think path is better here for a slivers deck, and the necrotic. good luck fighting the other tribe! if i find something better for eldrazi ill bring it here, but i am focusing on preparation for the couple of invitationals ive got coming up so probably not going to be a lot of work on legacy for a bit, but there will be some.

also as a PSA DONT PLAY 1 GREEN SOURCE i had left my second trop in Colorado along with some images and surgicals and other cards. i currently prefer Savannah Savannah plus Island and plains plus trop turn your deck on hard. and those two also help against boil and choke witch are cards that people are playing lately a lot more it seems. DONT PLAY 1 GREEN SOURCE!!! it is incorrect. i honestly appologize that i didnt have my second trop ( i didnt own Savannah at the time) and that the list that got posted is not an optimal list but i had to make do and hopeful some of the people who have been playing the deck can see this and know to make that tweak. alright everyone have a good one

Mar 2015
    Paris

Here is the list I intend to bring to Bazaar of Moxen Paris on Saturday.

4 galerider sliver
    4 crystalline sliver
    4 sinew sliver
    4 predatory sliver
    3 muscle sliver
    3 hibernation sliver
    2 phantasmal image
    1 winged sliver

4 aether vial
    4 force of will
    3 brainstorm
    2 Sylvan library
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Chrome mox

4 mutavault
    4 flooded strand
    2 Misty rainforest
    3 cavern of souls
    1 tundra
    1 tropical island
    1 underground sea
    1 Savannah
    1 island
    1 plains

Sideboard
    3 pithing needle
    3 harmonic sliver
    1 Ethersworn canonist
    2 darkheart sliver
    2 surgical extraction
    1 karakas

As you can see I integrated Xander mox, library and savannah for its outstanding results but I removed Daze for I prefer removal in that spot.

Main changes since my last tournament:
    MB
    -4 Chalice -1 Cavern -1 Image -1 Warping Wail - 1 Land
    +1 Mox +3 BS +2 SL + 2 StP

SB was also changed with DH instead of Syphon and Karakas.

I feel week to Storm, Burn, Elves especially but I should get a fight for the majority of the meta (Miracles, Delver, Lands, Stoneblade, D&T, etc.)
    Last edited by Ultrab77; 09-07-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Good luck! I'm interested to hear how Darkheart performs compared to Syphon, and I'd personally go for a 7th fetch over the Mox to help optimize Brainstorm and Library, but it seems like a tight list.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Good luck! I'm interested to hear how Darkheart performs compared to Syphon, and I'd personally go for a 7th fetch over the Mox to help optimize Brainstorm and Library, but it seems like a tight list.
    I went 4-4 and posted a report on our Facebook group.

I will definitely replace the Mox with a fetch because it's too narrow. It's a poor topdeck and I had it 3 times in my opener and twice I played a Vial on T1 and had no need of further acceleration on T2.

About the darkheart... When I sided them in it was for the sack option (vs Dredge and Lands for block-sack). I didn't play Storm or Burn.

I think the Syphon would have been a help vs Delver. I'll replace them for my next tournament and will also drop the Thalias.

SB could look like:
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Harmonic Sliver
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Syphon Sliver
    1 Karakas

The numbers (2 vs 3) have to be tested. The Karakas is also very situational.

hey guys, i wanted to apologize for losing my win and in yesterday :( super close though... i think a second top 8 within the same year would have given the deck more credence than its had in years... ended up 12th. if you guys wanna check my updated list its on scg.... for those of you who dont believe in the mox, this list isnt running it. it was a meta call last minute to try and fight through the ridiculous amount of chalice of the voids were running around (still love the little guy, even though it does do nothing sometimes). the mana base is not jacked up like the last list on scg so theres that... remember though if you play the savanna you can be punished because of daze, but i do believe it helps against the waste land match ups significantly... ( ive been doing absurd amounts of testing online and out of 50 games i had one opener that i was punished for playing the savanna) i believe the side board i am running is nearly perfect, you could trim a needle and a surgical for more slots, but good luck beating lands if you do. swords to plowshares is the only card i feel the 75 is missing but im not quite sure the correct way to fit it. but come December ill be doing another 100 match (50-50) testing session so hopefully i can finally figure it out. any ideas? also, please, please please dont play syphon sliver... please... i have played the card... a lot... just please dont play it, for me. it is strictly worse than darkheart sliver, for more than one reason. firstly, our sideboard slots are strained so you cant really afford to have a card in there thats only good against one deck. in my experience i only want it against burn (ur delver i guess but thats a glorified burn deck). secondly, it is too easy to gain no value off of syphon. if they kill it before you connect it did not do what its in your deck to do. ( i know crystalline protects it, but you cant build your deck assuming you have that card because often you do not) secondly, its not trivial to get into play. if you want to cheat it in, you have to deactivate your aether vial ( that my short hand for ticking the vial up too 3 in the deck) and black is not always easy to have access too. thirdly, darkheart sliver can be super clutch against dredge, being able to exile their bridges on command is powerful. it gets vialed in on two, so your not having to deactivate it for the rest of the game. darkheart sliver is always worth 6 life points against dredge minimum. their best case scenario is to bolt it immideatly, you sac in response and they fizzle a bolt. 3 life is worth a card against burn... thats an easy 2 for 1. and finally... RK POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amirighttt! also, slivers confirmed better tribe than eldrazi, their titans cant beat the hive... :) glad to be back guys, ill try and get more results for all you. i want yall to know, i play for you, and for the hivemind. ill get the deck the respect it deserves, whatever it takes! any whooo, hows it goin? any new tweaks on your guys end or sweet new ideas? always love the back and forth... p.s. i started streaming on twitch, user name is slivers_guy. im outta town for awhile for tourneys but once im back and with a regular schedual ill let yall know in case your interested. also gonna try and get some videos recorded for a primer and matches against some of the more popular decks on youtube. alrrright, thats it for now! catch u guys soon.

Heres an updated list

4 galerider sliver
    4 crystalline sliver
    4 sinew sliver
    4 predatory sliver
    3 muscle sliver
    3 hibernation sliver
    2 phantasmal image

4 aether vial
    4 force of will
    3 brainstorm
    3 daze
    2 Sylvan library
    1 Chrome mox

4 mutavault
    4 flooded strand
    3 Misty rainforest
    2 cavern of souls
    1 tundra
    1 tropical island
    1 underground sea
    1 Savannah
    1 island
    1 plains

Sideboard
    3 pithing needle
    3 harmonic sliver
    2 flusterstorm
    4 surgical extraction

The 4th surgical could be almost whatever u want, it's Necrotic for me if I'm not playing the set of surgicals. I'm going to run 4 no matter what tho from now on. The card has made lands not only winable but it seems in my favor. I won my last four sanctioned matches against lands. Every match since Jarvis yu.... Ugh don't even get me started on that. But yeah its also really good in other match ups too, like pithing needle. I won a mulligan to 2 as scg Worcester with the hand of surgical surgical vs. Reanimatior... So that was pretty tight. Actually that match is a crazy story if u guys are interested in that lol. Alright one rambling... There's the list

btw you dont need the 4th surgical i was absolutely wrong, i wouldnt play more than 3. 3 seems to be more than enough to beat lands, im 8-2 against lands since gp Columbus and one of those losses was to jarvis yu

Mar 2015
    Paris

Nice results Xander. What were your matchups?

Btw a dude made 27th out of 300 at the EW Paris.

List:

Creatures:33
    4 Galerider Sliver
    4 Striking Sliver
    4 Crystalline Sliver
    3 Hibernation Sliver
    4 Muscle Sliver
    4 Predatory Sliver
    4 Sinew Sliver
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Venom Sliver
    1 Winged Sliver

Spells:8
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 AEther Vial

Lands:19
    3 Ancient Ziggurat
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Mutavault
    4 Sliver Hive

Sideboard:15
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Darkheart Sliver
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Venom Sliver
    2 Harmonic Sliver
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Relic of Progenitus

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrab77 View Post
    Nice results Xander. What were your matchups?

Btw a dude made 27th out of 300 at the EW Paris.

List:

Creatures:33
    4 Galerider Sliver
    4 Striking Sliver
    4 Crystalline Sliver
    3 Hibernation Sliver
    4 Muscle Sliver
    4 Predatory Sliver
    4 Sinew Sliver
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Venom Sliver
    1 Winged Sliver

Spells:8
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 AEther Vial

Lands:19
    3 Ancient Ziggurat
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Mutavault
    4 Sliver Hive

Sideboard:15
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Darkheart Sliver
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Venom Sliver
    2 Harmonic Sliver
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Relic of Progenitus

Thoughts?
    nice! i hadnt seen the result for all-in! i think all in is a sweet version of the deck, the issue is its going to struggle against combo decks like omni tell. i consider this build of slivers a different deck (all-in slivers vs counter slivers) so i can easily be wrong... i have no experience with this list. but never the less awesome to see! gotta love the chrome mox's, they def have more upside with chalice. have you seen lists with chrome mox before? (besides mine obvi) i have not, i think its probably a more effective card in that deck than our build! im headed to eternal weekend this weekend, ill do my best to represent!

Nov 2016
    France

Hello everyone !

I have been testing xander's innovations, playing/thinking/building and reading things about the deck, mostly online, but also talked/played with/against players irl, for a few years now (started playing it when everybody was talking about putting wastelands and stifles in it haha )and here is what i have to say about the recent evolutions of the list

Chrome Mox is cool, it's a super land and we all agree that a turn one crystalline / library / chalice (!!) is great! Unhopefully, it's too random... and too often a super dead card that will make you lose an other one for it... We easily run out of gas... we don't need that...

I believe the mana base xander posted on SCG is the perfect one... It's also the one I use

4 Flooded strands
    3 Misty Rainforests
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    1 plains
    1 island
    4 Mutavaults
    3 Caverns of soul

I tried 19 lands... cutting a Misty... But we need shuffling effects, and we need easy access to basics to "deal" with wastelands! 20 seem comfortable... also tried cutting a cavern, but it's too good! we need to draw it!
    btw also played a lot without , without hibernation it's just not enough
    seem also to be enough drawers... (we can't afford more hahaha)
    3 brainstorms
    2 Sylvan libraries (lot of love for the card)

Speaking of creatures, here are the slots I consider not removable and those that can be slightly modified. Again I align with Xanders list.

4 galeriders
    4 crystallines
    4 Predatory
    4 sniews
    3/(4?) Hibernation
    2/(3?) Muscle
    2/(3?) phantasmal image (3 seem to be too much... it's a great element of the deck but multiple copies in hand and nothing relevant to copy on the BF is annoying)

Also, In a build packing sylvan libraries, fetch lands, hibernation slivers and surgical extractions in SB, we lose a lot of life...
    Thats one of the reason I cutted out surgical (even if it's a wonderful card to play )
    The other solution is to incorporate a life gain... and i think it's needed

also, please, please please dont play syphon sliver... please... i have played the card... a lot... just please dont play it, for me. it is strictly worse than darkheart sliver, for more than one reason. firstly, our sideboard slots are strained so you cant really afford to have a card in there thats only good against one deck. in my experience i only want it against burn (ur delver i guess but thats a glorified burn deck). secondly, it is too easy to gain no value off of syphon. if they kill it before you connect it did not do what its in your deck to do. ( i know crystalline protects it, but you cant build your deck assuming you have that card because often you do not) secondly, its not trivial to get into play. if you want to cheat it in, you have to deactivate your aether vial ( that my short hand for ticking the vial up too 3 in the deck) and black is not always easy to have access too. thirdly, darkheart sliver can be super clutch against dredge, being able to exile their bridges on command is powerful. it gets vialed in on two, so your not having to deactivate it for the rest of the game. darkheart sliver is always worth 6 life points against dredge minimum. their best case scenario is to bolt it immediately, you sac in response and they fizzle a bolt. 3 life is worth a card against burn... thats an easy 2 for 1. and finally... RK POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... being able to cast / vial Syphon in late game, swing for, let's say 5, will nearly always get you the turn you need to win ... even if it has to die right after it has attacked. Or, if you are forced to play in a defensive mode... will not trading creatures with lifelink work the same way (better?) as chump blocking and sacrifice them for 3...?
    + if sylvan library is in play, you can convert your attack/defense into massive card advantage in a relatively sustainable way...
    I see where Darkheart is good... I agree with what you are saying... it keeps it's promises... against dredge, against mass removal, if no crystalline are available etc... but still, sacrifice a sliver is almost never what you want to do... also, even in a built with 3 caverns of soul, in a deck that NEED sources, paying seem to be easier than paying
    Anyway, if we want to play a life gainer,I think we need it in the main deck... and there is hardly room for 1 (to trade with a phantasmal image, a muscle or an hibernation sliver) so you need to chose wisely!
    I'm still hesitating at this point but my thought is : Both are not really synergetic with Hibernation sliver... but Syphon turns life gain into a threat where Darkheart kinda makes it into a consolation prize ...
    btw, artwise: yes of course!! RK POST!! darkheart > syphon

For the counterspells I also agree on this
    4 force of will
    3 dazes (no need to play more than 3)

And last but not least: the 4 monololithic aether vials !

I'll discuss the sideboard alongside with my list later... spoiler alert! i'm a chalice of the void guy !

Congrats for your results xander, keep up spreading the hivemind !
    finally a question: how does your list goes against (punishing or not) Jund and shardless BUG? I have been struggling to beat those
    mass removals/ uncounterable and recursive spells/ discard/ liliana and big tarmos makes it a difficult mu... especially when we are running Surgical extractions...

Mar 2015
    Paris

Xander, how went your list at the EW?

I'm more willing to test the all-in version right now. With Striking (and Venom) could be interesting vs Delver and D&T that are everywhere in Paris.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by kude View Post
    Hello everyone !

I'll discuss the sideboard alongside with my list later... spoiler alert! i'm a chalice of the void guy !
    Hey Kude,

I'm interested in you SB choices.

We feel strong vs Miracles. We need to beat regularly D&T which is rising everywhere. We need to fight Delver (CoTV?) and Baleful Strix without first strike in the control version of the deck.

There are also those GY decks: Reanimator (UB, BR) & Dredge.

I currently run:

2 Chalice of the Void
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Harmonic Sliver
    2 Syphon Sliver
    4 Leyline of the Void (those last ones because I was traumatized by Dredge and Rea)

Nov 2016
    France

here it goes:

4 Crystalline Sliver
    3 Hibernation Sliver
    4 Galerider Sliver
    2 Phantasmal Image
    4 Sinew Sliver
    4 Predatory Sliver
    2 Muscle Sliver
    1 Syphon Sliver? / 1 more Hibernation Sliver? / 1 Winged Sliver? / 1 more muscle Sliver? / 1 more Phantasmal Image?

4 Force of will
    3 Daze

3 Brainstorm
    2 Slyvan Libraries

4 Aether Vial

4 Mutavault
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Plains

SB:

3 Harmonic Sliver
    1 Meddling Mage
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Chalice of the void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Rest In peace

(it's heavy, right?)

We are already slower and/or less stable that other agro/control decks but we do have "card quality".
    Q: What slivers can do best? A: Adapt and survive to harsh conditions!

X 3 Harmonics seem reasonable, make sure you draw one to get rid of this nasty lock/combo/equipment/strix/Agent/foundry/Hulk/Sneak attack/vial/revoker / you name it... just be carefull with it...
    (Thought of playing 1 necrotic... but it's way to slow and again, you almost never want to sac a sliver. )

X 3 Chalices, (most of the time set to 1 Some matchups will hate to see it on 0 and you will very rarely go to more than that) Like crystalline or hibernation, it protects you and your creatures from bolts and swords to plowshares ; kills a lot of combos... + we can play around it with the caverns and the vials...

Still, The only real drawbacks are : it 's slow , it forces you to side out brainstorms and it can make you draw unplayable cards if the sequence isn't played in the right order
    Last but not least, it limits our sb options...
    Anyway, I think it fits better in the deck than other less radical cards (Even if many decks have answers to it) because it's static and dangerous for many different decks
    it does also helps with burn and many agro/control decks playing cmc cards... Delver is still a problem mainly because of cabal therapy... and no brainstorm left...

2 revokers instead of pithing needles ... I know we can't name lands with that + it's kind of weaker to removals... on the other hand, it's a colorless creature, we can vial It or play it via cavern of soul, it swing for 2 and can be kept relatively safe if chalice is in play (the important information here is : we can play it alongside chalice without additional fear of getting stuck)

Used to play 2 Meddling Mages , but compared to the rest of the sideboard it seem to be the only card to cut out.
    Still it can shut down a few key threats +it can be duplicated with phantasmal images!

and then the Bridges... i'm testing it and for the moment it work fine ! it helps against : reanimator,elves,eldrazi,Dredge, merfolk, show and tell <3 , lands.
    basicaly any deck with big creatures
    (It's not really good against D&T due to flickerwisp tho.)
    have no remorse siding out some lords for it When in play, you just have to be patient.. you have ways to modulate your hand size and the power/toughness of your dudes via hibernation and also ways to control your draws (BS / Sylvan library) so don't worry!
    It freezes the game! you just have to play carefully, counter whatever needs to be countered, eventually wait for a flyer and kill them slowly

we easily run out of gaz so it seemed to be a good idea to turn this counterpart into something useful !+ it's a lot of fun to play (some matchups can become really grindy)
    X3 because playing it and not drawing it sucks...

And finally X3 RIP
    To be honest, I prefer Surgical Extraction... it's such an elegant and powerful card to play, it does plenty and it cost no mana so it fits perfectly our game plan... but it doesn't work with chalice...
    I have not tested Leyline of the void yet but it seem a bit too much. if it's destroyed or if you can't find it turn 0 you will HARDLY be able to get to cast it afterward
    I'm not a fan of Rip either... it's sloppy and slow. but it's playable and static wich fit's the prison plan. If it resolves, it does the job.

Let me know if you have any questions about some specific matchups or interactions or just to tell me what you think of the list !
    Last edited by kude; 11-16-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Thread Information