Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Deck/Primer] Countersliver (MeatHooks)

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Re: [Deck/Primer] Countersliver (MeatHooks)

Practically speaking, what do you copy with Image? If they S&T Emrakul into play, you can Vial in copy EOT then swing for the win during your next turn. In a vacuum/goldfish, your only real copy target is the Muscle/etc. slivers because everything else doesn't stack.

Instead, for better coverage and digging, and to reset the topdeck for Library, consider Eladamri's Call in your flex slot and replacing one of the Images. You can tutor up the remaining Image if you really want to copy something on the other side. Otherwise, you have a tutor to find your missing sliver.

Just 2c. Might not work.

P.S. Also works with Revoker and some other sideboard options if you choose to run creatures.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Nov 2016
    France

I tried playing one eladamri's call as a sigleton MD but it seemed ( ) a little hard to cast... I 've had too many situations where I needed to cast it but couldn't reach the right color in time or the spell gets countered... An instant speed tutor is indeed a great idea here. It would free some slots in the SB and provide more regularity...
    Also tried to add Homing Sliver... but the tutor effect only affect slivers which is too narrow post board and/or too slow...

Images works as part time muscle/etc slivers and they are also used to chump block a big guy on the other side... or to ensure victory on the next turn... recurrent copies are : Marit Lage, emrakul, grizelbrand, baleful strix,reality smasher,thought knot seer and sometime tarmogoyfs to name a few... it's also 2 more blue cards to pitch for force of will
    Post board, being able to copy a revoker or a meddling mage is often a fine option too.

BTW Writing those long posts got me a bit tired of chalice
    testing a new SB list without chalice nor thalia atm:

3 Harmonic Sliver
    3 Flusterstorm
    3 Ensaring Bridge
    3 Pithing needle
    3 Surgical extraction

More control and less prison but i believe, still able to answer to most threats correctly.
    I'll let you know my thoughts...
    Also, i have interest in playing Divert in SB, maybe as a singleton, in order to deal with decays etc. saw it there: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13814&d=281534&f=LE what do you think?
    Last edited by kude; 11-16-2016 at 10:39 AM.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Bump Meathooks! I've been doing really well with this list. I cannot remember not going at least 3-1 with this deck for sometime, I play other decks as well but this has been a lot of fun and quite strong. I have fought off pretty much every archetype, look forward to taking meathooks to a large tournament in the future.

Fighting equipment is my biggest issue so far. I think hibernation sliver is pretty weak, I'd rather just not over extend. Needle is really strong in this deck. 2 libraries is great. Galerider wins so many games- I would consider slotting in winged sliver for more alpha strikes. I'd like to put karakas in the main but since I cant tutor and moon effects are around, I am using a plains but not sold on it, I wouldn't mind 3 caverns but so far 2 has worked well. Sideboard has been great- meddling mages could be flexible but they have put in work- I am expecting more massacre in the meta so might move it out.

4 Sinew
    4 Crystaline
    4 Muscle
    4 Predator
    4 Galerider
    1 Phantasmal Image

4 Vial
    2 Sylvan Lib
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Daze
    4 FOW
    1 Swords

2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Mutavault
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra
    2 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Plains
    1 Island

4 Faerie Mcabre
    3 Harmonic Sliver
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Thalia
    2 Meddling mage
    Tusk Up

Nov 2016
    France

faerie seem good... but i prefer surgical.

Not a big fan of the lone sword to plowshares. I do agree we lack of creature removal tho
    tried some vapor snags a while ago, and got me some games but meh
    Concerning mages I agree with you. for instance, against decks like shardelss bug that pack so many different ways to get rid of creatures... it never last long and thalia is already a target of choise... I think we should remove it ...
    I have been playing without hibernation sliver for years... just play it ! good vs miracle, mass removals , spot removals if no crystalline,can be pitched to fow (from play !!), transform harmonic into a nightmare for an artefact/ enchant player. also good against lifelink, jitte and any too big creatures... pay 2 life save a sliver is almost like drawing a card. But you are free to do whatever you like
    Last edited by kude; 11-18-2016 at 10:52 AM.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Quote Originally Posted by kude View Post
    faerie seem good... but i prefer surgical.

Not a big fan of the lone sword to plowshares. I do agree we lack of creature removal tho
    tried some vapor snags a while ago, and got me some games but meh
    Concerning mages I agree with you. for instance, against decks like shardelss bug that pack so many different ways to get rid of creatures... it never last long and thalia is already a target of choise... I think we should remove it ...
    I have been playing without hibernation sliver for years... just play it ! good vs miracle, mass removals , spot removals if no crystalline,can be pitched to fow (from play !!), transform harmonic into a nightmare for an artefact/ enchant player. also good against lifelink and any too big creatures... pay 2 life save a sliver is almost like drawing a card. But you are free to do whatever you like
    I prefer macabre in the current meta with B/R reanimator- chancellor locks out surgical and it still answers as much as I need it too. The single swords has been great, prob will up to two, swords is a MVP imo. Shardless is pretty much a bye, I haven't had any issue with that deck- swords actually provided alpha strike path last night by knocking out a strix. I 100% understand hibernation, I've just found it to be not as good and unnecessary, I wouldn't categorize it as a necessity for protecting the deck from its weaknesses. I think another needle and another swords would do more work than hibernation, if there was a ton of eldrazi in my meta I would consider. I feel like if you play tight and counter correctly he just doesn't offfer enough. I know the majority in this thread love the card but I'm not a fan.
    Tusk Up

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

-1 muscle
    +1 phantasmal image
    -3 thalia
    +2 retribution of the meek
    +1 Flusterstorm
    -2 meddling mage
    +1 needle
    +1 grip of phyresis
    Tusk Up

Nov 2016
    France

Retribution of the meek may be a very good sideboard add! me like that !
    grip of phyresis sound a bit too narrow...

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Quote Originally Posted by kude View Post
    Retribution of the meek may be a very good sideboard add! me like that !
    grip of phyresis sound a bit too narrow...
    Yea I think retribution of the meek might be solid, gonna give it some testing. Yea I think you're right about phyresis. Equipment has been the decks biggest weakness for me, and we have a lot in local meta.
    Tusk Up

Nov 2016
    France

Added a single Recruiter of the Guard in the MD.

- Tutor your missing: Crystaline / Galerider / Hibernation / Phantasmal Image / Lord
    OR POST SB :
    Harmonic / Faerie Maccabre / Phyrexian Revoker / Thalia / Aethersworn Canonist ... You name it.
    - More space in the sb
    - Having a 1/1 non-sliver to block or sacrifice is often a good thing.
    - 2W is very playable especially through a cavern or a vial.
    - Can be copied with Phantasmal Image.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Which version will be more adapted now that Miracle is gone?

With more Delver decks or Elves I would be tempted to go the full slivers way with anti-combo hate MD (Thalia, Chalice).

Could look like:

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Mutavault
    4 Sliver Hive
    2 Ancient Ziggurat
    2 Karakas
    3 Mana Confluence
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

4 AEther Vial
    2 Chrome Mox
    3 Chalice of the Void

4 Crystalline Sliver
    4 Predatory Sliver
    4 Sinew Sliver
    4 Galerider Sliver
    3 Hibernation Sliver
    2 Muscle Sliver
    1 Winged Sliver
    2 Venom Sliver
    4 Striking Sliver
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

SB: 3 Harmonic Sliver
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 3 Syphon Sliver
    SB: 2 Containment Priest

Thoughts?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I was thinking about playing slivers again, but before getting into the lists again I will wait until this tribal commander set comes out... Just in case.
    -rob

Nov 2016
    France

still very sceptical about 5c slivers in legacy... i'll give it a try...

About your list, I don't think the death of Miracle means you can get rid of fows!
    No Miracle = More Fast Combo

What changes are to be made between the traditional CounterSliver and the All-In Slivers now that Miracles and other Top decks are dead and gone. I play the Chrome Mox version of All-In Slivers.

Nov 2016
    France

not much If you are playing 4 hibernation sliver, you could eventually cut to 3

Whats a good list for someone getting started with the archetype?

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer26 View Post
    Whats a good list for someone getting started with the archetype?
    A fairly straightforward Countersliver build like this would be a good place to start:

//Creatures (20)
    4 Crystalline Sliver
    4 Predatory Sliver
    4 Sinew Sliver
    4 Galerider Sliver
    2 Muscle Sliver
    2 Phantasmal Image

//Spells (20)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares

//Lands (20)
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 Mutavault
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    1 Island
    1 Plains

That's a decent starting point, and you can tune your list according to your tastes/metagame from there.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

If you had to build this deck (Brainstorm/fetch/duals version) without any black duals, which option would you prefer, and why?

* Play straight Bant without Hibernation Sliver and any other black cards
    * Play with some number of Hibernation Sliver and rely on Cavern of Souls/Æther Vial/Sliver Hive to cast them

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

There is a list without black in the previous post. Please read a bit.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    There is a list without black in the previous post. Please read a bit.
    That would certainly be the correct reply if my question was «Is it possible to put together a Bant Slivers list according to one person?». I did see the list, it was even part of the reason I asked. But ok, I guess we don't want to have an actual dialogue in here. Thanks a lot for your staggeringly helpful answer.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I dunno, I think Terminus might still be a thing once the control players optimize topless builds, not to mention Toxic Deluge and the odd Engineered Explosives. If you absolutely can't get Black duals, I'd recommend trying the 5-color land thing and seeing how clunky it is.

P.S. You mention playing straight Bant without (Hibernation and) other black cards as an option, but neither route really works if you want to run things like Duress or Abrupt Decay. If you know someone that you can borrow a Sea or two from, that would be great, but I guess you know that already.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Thread Information