Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Goblin Dark-Dweller

[SCD] Goblin Dark-Dweller

The spoiler thread is locked, and there's a potentially very powerful spoiled card:

Goblin Dark-Dwellers
    3RR
    Goblin

Meance

When Goblin Dark-Dwellers enters the battlefield you may cast target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.

4/4
    Are there any instants or sorceries that goblins really wants to play enough to justify him?

There's a silly combo possibility where you pile copy effects like Fated Infatuation,Twinflame, or even Rootborn Defenses into the graveyard, and then chain them by putting one of these guys into play.

Does this guy make any sense at all as a component in storm decks?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [SCD] Goblin Dark-Dweller

My only thought was Modern Grixis Control, but I think the new Vampire is better. In Legacy, 5 mana is a game winning cost. Against Dream Hall or Sneak Attack he just looks... Meh.

As for Goblins as a deck, another 5 drop ain't helping no one.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

5 mana is quite alot to invest, even for a 4/4 Menace body. I just don't see it for Eternal play, at Legacy. Vintage might be a different beast with its broken instants and sorceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    5 mana is quite alot to invest, even for a 4/4 Menace body. I just don't see it for Eternal play, at Legacy. Vintage might be a different beast with its broken instants and sorceries.
    Yeah, it's in the 'donut hole' - not good enough to cheat for, too expensive to play. Vintage also has faster mana to make hardcasting 4-6 cc stuff a lot more viable.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

The direction this card pulls the deck in is in direct contradiction to the way Ringleader wants that deck to be constructed.

It may be a good card - dunno, but not in any Goblins deck I have faced or played.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The direction this card pulls the deck in is in direct contradiction to the way Ringleader wants that deck to be constructed.

It may be a good card - dunno, but not in any Goblins deck I have faced or played.
    You can force it with stuff like Tarfire, Warren Weirding, and Nameless Inversion. But all that seems underwhelming.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

If there were some kind of Jund midrange-y thing that could capitalize on recasting stronk things, like... Abrupt Decay? That BR command from Dragons of Tarkir that everyone wanted to like but didn't? ... things like that on turn 4/5. Maybe that would be a way to get mileage out of such a card.

I mean given the effect is basically a 4/4 and a cheap spell, I kind of want to compare it negatively against, like, Eternal Witness or something. But that's not really right to do, so I won't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

A Jund Nic-Fit deck would be interested in both halves of this card: that is, it would be interested in a second Decay or Kolaghan's Command and it would be interested in a 4/4 with Menace. It would also be able to front five mana for the pleasure of getting both.

Now, whether a Jund Nic Fit deck is actually good is another question altogether.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

It's sort of comparable to a bloodbraid elf right? Can it go into RUGb Cascade to just continually cast the same group of spells over and over again?

4 Shardless Agent
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Blood Braid Elf
    2 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4 Ancestral Vision
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Izzet Charm

24 Lands

Wow. This card has the potential to be outrageously powerful.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Good call, it is probably most comparable to Bloodbraid Elf.

By itself it is obviously quite bad but I think if you had an entire deck setup to make nearly every spell have that Cascade-like effect, you might be able to just outvalue your opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I don't think you have to go whole hog on cascade - in fact, I think doing so is probably something of a trap. BBE doesn't see serious play now because it costs four mana and gives you a random card and a 3/2. This costs one more than that but gives you a body that survives Bolt and Punishing Fire plus a card that isn't really random. He's more like a proactive Snapcaster Mage.

Think of this guy in a Jund deck: you're likely flashing back Decay, Bolt, or Kolaghan's Command, or possibly Thoughtseize which means you're effectively using it as a Shriekmaw. Shriekmaw was borderline playable back when Legacy was more creature-heavy; the real thing holding it back was that getting the 3/2 Fear was mana inefficient relative to just casting a removal spell and another creature. The body on this guy is generally worth three to four mana, so you're probably breaking even on mana casting this relative to casting a 4/4 Menace and another removal spell. He gets even better in Naya colors because then you can flash back StP or Lightning Helix, making him Siege Rhino-ish.

Of course, I think he's fringe playable at best and realistically just unplayable, so most of this discussion is moot.

It gives Moggcatcher a bit of an extra element, but for most things you'd want to do with Moggcatcher, you can just fetch the goblin that'd do it directly.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There's a silly combo possibility where you pile copy effects like Fated Infatuation,Twinflame, or even Rootborn Defenses into the graveyard, and then chain them by putting one of these guys into play.
    It exiles the copy spell upon resolution, so there's no way to go infinite. Anything less than that isn't worth it, purely from a deck construction standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    It's sort of comparable to a bloodbraid elf right? Can it go into RUGb Cascade to just continually cast the same group of spells over and over again?

4 Shardless Agent
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Blood Braid Elf
    2 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4 Ancestral Vision
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Izzet Charm

24 Lands
    Hitting Ancestral Vision with this is back-breaking. Probably the best chance for him to see play.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I don't think you have to go whole hog on cascade - in fact, I think doing so is probably something of a trap. BBE doesn't see serious play now because it costs four mana and gives you a random card and a 3/2. This costs one more than that but gives you a body that survives Bolt and Punishing Fire plus a card that isn't really random. He's more like a proactive Snapcaster Mage.
    The other problem is that cascade gives you two spells to be countered, while you can just nip this guy in the bud right away.

Snapcaster comparison is spot on. Figures, they take a broken blue creature that probably should have been red the first time around, and fix it in the right color.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    You can force it with stuff like Tarfire, Warren Weirding, and Nameless Inversion. But all that seems underwhelming.
    Maybe Goblin War Strike? *shrug*

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

This is the worst Goblin card you would want in an Goblin-deck.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Saw something sad on Reddit: This thing in S&T. S&T => Goblin. Opponent puts in O-Ring or whatever, triggers go with O-Ring on top so it has to nuke the goblin, then goblin recasts S&T => Griseltard, spaghetti or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

even as show & tell #5, it's probably barely playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    even as show & tell #5, it's probably barely playable.
    The point is not it being S&T #5. The point is having it in hand automatically insuring every actual Show and Tell you cast against Oblivion Ring and making it not as horrid against Ashen Rider. If you don't think they have anything, it's #5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Saw something sad on Reddit: This thing in S&T. S&T => Goblin. Opponent puts in O-Ring or whatever, triggers go with O-Ring on top so it has to nuke the goblin, then goblin recasts S&T => Griseltard, spaghetti or whatever.
    I think the trigger goes on the stack before SnT finishes resolving, so you'd need a second one in the graveyard for that to work.

Thread Information