Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Red / Chalice Stompy

Big Red / Chalice Stompy

So i've been thinking about doing some Modern monthly at the local shop, and for this I'de like to make it mono-red for both budget and suprize reasons.

So, burn ain't reliable going mono-red or having non-damaging spells in the main deck like Blood Moon. So the next best thing is mono-red control or Dragon Stompy look-a-likes. I've seen the Skred Red deck lists, but they are different from the one I have in mind both in card choice and ways to control the board.

So, the primary decklist I'm currently testing:

Spells: 25
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    2 Fiery Temper
    4 Tormenting Voice
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Blood Moon

Creatures: 14
    2 Magus of the Moon
    2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    3 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    3 Razormane Masticore
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Lands: 21
    17 Mountain
    4 Gemstone Caverns

sideboard: 15
    3 Tormod’s Crypt
    3 Ricochet Trap
    3 Shattering Spree
    3 Rending Volley
    3 Apostle’s Blessing

So why are there several card choices?

Burn is the main source of removal and reach for red decks, so let's use it.
    4 Lightning Bolt You play red, come on...
    4 Rift Bolt Dodges the Chalice.
    4 Magma Jet Card selection is important for control decks.
    2 Fiery Temper Dodges Chalice and can be combined with the Jaya, Voice and Masticore to have more value while discarting for any of them.

The control cards, or the main reason to play this deck over other Red Deck Wins versions:
    4 Chalice of the Void Protects your guys from bolts and hindering the tempo of the opponent. Solid strategy for legacy, not sure how it works out in Modern.
    3 Blood Moon Duals and Fetches are everywhere, so why not use this powerhouse.
    2 Magus of the Moon More Moons, these can also go in the red zone.
    2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage Control card for red. Shooting blue creatures (Delver, Exarch, Merfolk) and transforming less usefull cards into Incinerate.

Ramping up the mana for quick Moons and Chalice:
    4 Gemstone Caverns If you don't start, this could get you ahead.
    4 Simian Spirit Guide Always a solid +1 manaramp.

Card "advantage" machines. Since you lose some cards ramping up or throwing away for control, you can use something to generate card advantage:
    3 Tormenting Voice Closest thing to draw cards in red. Let's you get rid of Bolts you can't play trough Chalice or exceeding lands.
    3 Squee, Goblin Nabob The real machine in combination with Voice, Jaya and Masticore. Also let's you block those big hitters for ever.

Big hitters, becouse all decks need them:
    3 Razormane Masticore Running Squee gives you acces to proberly the highest value creature for being actually castable. First stike for the red zone and shooting chump blockers at the upkeep.

Sideboard calls:
    3 Tormod’s Crypt Killing graveyard decks (is this even an issue in Modern?).
    3 Ricochet Trap Anti counter and annoy Snapcaster/Boggle/Twin.
    3 Shattering Spree Killing one or more artifacts trough counters/Chalice.
    3 Rending Volley Ignores Chalice and counters and hits things like Exarch.
    3 Apostle’s Blessing Protects Chalice and your creatures.

So what are your ideas on this deck or this type of deck in general (Chalice stompy)?

Bonus; Same deck without Chalice and added burn cards:
    I've played almost the same deck as this list casually for a while, and Lootings + Phoenix/Squee + Pyromancer is actally pritty good.
    Spells
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Fiery Temper
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Blood Moon

Creatures
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Razormane Masticore
    2 Magus of the Moon
    4 Young Pyromancer
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    2 Chandra's Phoenix

Lands
    16 Mountain
    4 Gemstone Caverns

Sideboard
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    4 Leyline of Punishment
    3 Shattering Spree
    3 Rending Volley
    2 Dead // Gone

*Edit*
    After some testing instead of goldfishing I've made some consistancy changes.
    Removed 4 Young Pyromancer, added extra 1 Jaya, 1 Magma Jet, 1 Tormenting Voice, 1 Fiery Temper
    Last edited by Draggo; 12-27-2015 at 02:17 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Big Red / Chalice Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
    So what are your ideas on this deck or this type of deck in general (Chalice stompy)?
    Have you seen the list Octopusman took to a 15th place finish at SCG Vegas?
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post922589

Thanks Ace, I did not see that one. It has some good info with his report on the matches.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

In the wake of PT Atlanta and introduction of the Eldrazi decks to the format, I revisited Red Stompy as a potentially solid metagame call. In testing, it has been fairly good against at least the Colorless Eldrazi list (played by Channel Fireball at the PT).

Bloody Humans
    CREATURES
    2 Kargan Dragonlord
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Priest of Urabrask
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Wild Cantor
    SPELLS
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Desperate Ritual
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    3 Pyretic Ritual
    3 Pyroclasm
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    LANDS
    13 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Gemstone Caverns

Sideboard
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Damping Matrix
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Shattering Spree
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Trinispher

The 8 Moon effects put a hurt on almost every deck in the format. The Chalices were moved to the board, since the Eldrazi deck is playing them main, which I anticipate will push many of the decks vulnerable to Chalice out of the format. Pyroclasm in the main, which can potentially be cast on your first turn, is good against most of the aggro decks in the format and can save you from the Eldrazi deck's nut draw of multiple turn one Eldrazi Mimics.

I'm considering playing around with a build that runs Painter's Servant, to further hose the Eldrazi, along with Jaya Ballard, Task Mage. At the moment though, I think the Servant may be overkill, unless there's another card that could be run to synergize with it. I guess it ultimately depends on how dominant the Eldrazi end up being.
    Last edited by CaptainTwiddle; 02-14-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Ive been testing some lists/components of my original idea (abusing the phoenix + looting in mono red) and came up with this:

Lands/Mana
    16 Mountain
    4 Gemstone Caverns
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Control/Moons
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Magus of the Moon

Draw
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Tormenting Voice

Burn
    4 Fiery Temper
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lava Spike

Creatures
    4 Chandra’s Phoenix
    4 Demigod of Revenge

Sideboard
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    3 Dead // Gone
    2 Searing Blood
    4 Relic of Progenitus
    4 Shattering Spree

I'm not sure on the sideboard yet. Feels like I need some sweepers there (Chain Reaction perhaps).

The basic idea is to ramp out the Moons. You can get card advantage using the Phoenix or set up Demigods to hit fast.
    The "backup" plan is to cast 5-7 burn spells depending on the life lost by lands on the other side.

So I took the deck to the Modern GP in Bologna and did pritty well for a first big Modern event ever. Ended up 5-4-0, nog being matched with any Eldrazi decks all day... Shame, since it's one of (if not the) best match-ups and the one I tested multiple times.

Lands:
    18 Mountain
    3 Gemstone Caverns

Spells:
    4 Fiery Temper
    2 Desperate Ritual
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    1 Tormenting Voice
    4 Blood Moon

Creatures:
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Demigod of Revenge
    2 Magus of the Moon

Planeswalkers:
    3 Koth of the Hammer

Sideboard
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    2 Chain Reaction
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lightning Axe
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Shattering Spree

Round 1 vs Affinity 1-2. Really close match.
    0-1-0
    Round 2 vs Green Ramp/Tooh&Nail 0-2. Got crushed becouse they don't care about the Blood Moons and I did not expect the T&N to Emrakul and Xenagos, God of Revels.
    0-2-0
    Round 3 vs UB Mill 2-1. Got game-loss becouse I was half a second late to the table. Pritty much crushed him both games.
    1-2-0
    Round 4 vs Green Tron 0-2. I drew really bad both games, not having any kind of clock for about 10 turns both games.
    1-3-0
    Round 5 vs Kiki-Chord 2-1. Game 2 I messed up a bit so he could combo. Other then that pritty good match-up.
    2-3-0
    Round 6 vs Infect 1-2. Both games I didn't drew any bolt to kill his guy so I got poisoned without any problem. After that we played a few more games for fun. Those were heavely in favor for me.
    2-4-0
    Round 7 vs Merfolk 2-0. This guy dropped when i arrived... Waste of time.
    3-4-0
    Round 8 vs Mono White 2-1. Lost the first game. Totall control the next two games.
    4-4-0
    Round 9 vs Infect 2-1. Game 1 I got infected to death when he was at 3 life. Had Chalice@1 at turn one in game 2 and the same at turn 2 in game 3. Sealed the deal pritty easy.
    5-4-0

All in all a fun deck to play. Feeled a bit bad after losing from Green Ramp and Tron and not fighting any Eldrazi. Learned some new things of the format so that was nice.

If anyone got some tips, tricks or questions, let me know.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

The 2 Desperate Rituals look hopelessly out of place. I understand why you run them, but are you sure there aren't any other 2 mana cards you'd want to run instead to bridge turn 2? The Rituals on their own don't do shit.

You could also run a number of red fetches, helps you thin out the number of lands you have left in your deck. And swap a Mountain for a Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep. You have a couple of legendary creatures, so giving them first strike might come in handy. In the worst case scenario it's just another Mountain where it had already been one anyway, so there's no need to give a shit.

What MUs trouble you, on which points doesn't your deck work the way you'd want it?

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

How about Outpost Siege for card advantage and to suck up enchantment removal they would have fired at Blood Moon.

Dec 2013

Nice find. Wouldn't it be too slow?

The Outpost Siege aint bad, but since the curve of the deck can be a bit awkward with the use of madness, Demigods, Squee's and Lootings. You proberly won't want to cast the top card of your deck most of the time so it'll end up exiled.
    I also don't get the "Bloody Humans" list at all. I've seen it before, but dropping a ton of small creatures with Priest and Magus combined with the multiple Pyroclasm seems counterproductive.

Anywho, I think I found a solotion to the problem I ran in to.
    The lack of blockers to protect Koth before I board in the Bridges.
    The lack of pressure mana rituals give, even combined with possible turn 1 Moon effect.
    I actually played no Voice and 1 more Ritual on the tournement I see now.
    Just the moon simply won't win games as much as I thought it would. I won more games on Demigods or a Koth that got ignored a turn too long.

Solution seems simple: add cheap critters on the field: Mogg War Marshal
    Adds a few blockers and curves in nice with 2 manacost.
    Moved Pia to the main to add on the aggro plan. Also it's just a great card overal.
    Moved Jaya to the side to be able to swap over to the Bridge plan and fix the Merfolk matchup.

Lands:
    18 Mountain
    3 Gemstone Caverns

Spells:
    4 Fiery Temper
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    1 Tormenting Voice
    4 Blood Moon

Creatures:
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Demigod of Revenge
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

Planeswalkers:
    3 Koth of the Hammer

Sideboard
    2 Chain Reaction
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lightning Axe
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Shattering Spree

Dec 2013

Seems legit.

I don't know if my build falls into this.

But I'm doing a super hard lock list.

Red Lock -

Instant (10)
    2x Desperate Ritual
    4x Magma Jet
    4x Pyretic Ritual

Sorcery (6)
    4x Molten Rain
    2x Stone Rain

Creature (7)
    3x Magus of the Moon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

Enchantment (4)
    4x Blood Moon

Planeswalker (6)
    2x Chandra, Flamecaller
    2x Chandra, Pyromaster
    2x Koth of the Hammer

Artifact (7)
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Trinisphere

Land (20)
    18x Mountain
    2x Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Sideboard (15)
    2x Chalice of the Void
    2x Dragon's Claw
    2x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
    2x Goblin Rabblemaster
    2x Leyline of Punishment
    2x Scab-Clan Berserker
    3x Shattering Spree

It is grindy as hell, but it can establish the lock quite quickly.

I found that the hardest match up for this deck of the Tier 1 decks were Abzan Company and Burn.

Looking for suggestions!
    "Gobble Gobble"

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

How has trinisphere been for you? With the land destruction I could see it being decent but I tried pretty hard to break it in Modern and found that it was just too fair of a card. Most things cost 3+ anyway and we don't have to contend with Force of Will + Daze or a myriad of cantrips. When I was running a big red list I had 4 chalice of the void maindeck and liked it a lot, as getting one for 1 and then a second one out for 2 shuts out a ton of decks. It's also a lot more probable to hit it on turn 1 in opposed to finding double Simian Spirit Guide.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

With all of the Chord decks, dredge decks, and affinity running around I feel like anger of the gods is a really solid card in the format right now. Can this deck play it and go bigger on the dudes? Or is that more for like Skred?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I've updated my "Blood Humans" list in the wake of Kaladesh spoilers. Chandra, Torch of Defiance is quite possibly the card that the red prison deck wanted the most. She provides a robust win condition, draws additional cards, adds removal to the deck, plays well with Chalice and Ensnaring Bridge, and generates mana to cast cards exiled with Prophetic Flamespeaker.

Bloody Humans
    CREATURES
    2 Kargan Dragonlord
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Priest of Urabrask
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Wild Cantor
    SPELLS
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Desperate Ritual
    1 Dismember
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Pyretic Ritual
    1 Roast
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    LANDS
    13 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Gemstone Caverns

Sideboard
    3 Anger of the Gods
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Dragon's Claw
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Shattering Spree

I have been doing some testing and this list has been the most consistent for me.

I have also put in new Chandra as she is bonkers and exactly what the deck needs.

Red Lobster

Instant (10)
    2x Desperate Ritual
    4x Magma Jet
    4x Pyretic Ritual

Planeswalker (6)
    3x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3x Koth of the Hammer

Sorcery (4)
    4x Molten Rain

Land (19)
    19x Mountain

Enchantment (7)
    4x Blood Moon
    3x Outpost Siege

Artifact (7)
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Trinisphere

Creature (7)
    3x Magus of the Moon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

Sideboard (15)
    2x Anger of the Gods
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Dragon's Claw
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    3x Shattering Spree

I have been toying with Trinisphere and Molten Rain. These two cards really get the job done and provide another turn 1 threat that some decks can't deal with (aka Delver, Burn, Affinity). It also provides us a longer game that we may not have had otherwise.

Looking for some feedback, but I have been finding this to be very consistent and will be bringing it to a tournament this weekend. (minus the new Chandra)
    "Gobble Gobble"

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinTurkey View Post
    I have been doing some testing and this list has been the most consistent for me.

I have also put in new Chandra as she is bonkers and exactly what the deck needs.

Red Lobster

...[deck list in post above]...

I have been toying with Trinisphere and Molten Rain. These two cards really get the job done and provide another turn 1 threat that some decks can't deal with (aka Delver, Burn, Affinity). It also provides us a longer game that we may not have had otherwise.

Looking for some feedback, but I have been finding this to be very consistent and will be bringing it to a tournament this weekend. (minus the new Chandra)
    I'm not sure how I feel about Molten Rain. It's a great cards, but I wouldn't want to ritual or use SSG to cast it early, as that just seems like such card disadvantage. That said, the referenced list does seem to pack a lot of producers of card advantage, but I feel like that many Chandras and Outpost Sieges is excessive; I'd be looking to trim/cut the Sieges.

Once I started testing with the new Chandra, I found Koth to be pretty underwhelming. Since this build is fully embracing Ensnaring Bridge, Koth's +1 is often going to be just that with the best upside being a little extra mana production. Chandra is just better. That said, I'd still probably run at least 1 Koth, just so you can have one of each planeswalker on board.

I've been a really big fan of Gemstone Cavern in this type of deck. It's much a like a mana ritual, which you're obviously on board with playing, that has some staying power. Maybe this build doesn't need a full 4, but I'd try running at least 2.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Is there any thought to running the red rare Defiance card from eldritch moon? Being able to turn 2 force your opponent to winds of change seems like it could randomly really screw them over
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Is there any thought to running the red rare Defiance card from eldritch moon? Being able to turn 2 force your opponent to winds of change seems like it could randomly really screw them over
    Collective Defiance is a tad high variance for my taste, but it could be good post-board, when your opponent may be siding specific answers for things like Chalice. If they mulligan to 5 to keep a hand with Ancient Grudge, Abrupt Decay, etc. and you make them ship their hand, that could be good. Discarding excess rituals or other chaff to escalate the spell seems fine, or just dumping useless cards to dig for something relevant seems OK as well, but if you have one of those hands where you power out a bunch of spells quick, the Tolarian Winds effect isn't very good for you. On the whole, I don't like it. The best case scenario is screwing over an opponent who mulliganed to an answer, but even if they've done that, they may just draw another answer.

Thread Information