Thread: Looking for advice on making my legacy deck foreign

Looking for advice on making my legacy deck foreign

Hey all,

I've finally decided to make my legacy TES/ANT decks foreign, but am looking for some advice since not all cards are available in my desired language, traditional Chinese (T-Chinese). Since there was a period of time when this language wasn't printed, there are a few cards that are only available in simplified Chinese (S-Chinese) and I don't know what to do about these.

(If you don't know anything about Chinese, the differences are sort of minimal. At a glance, they'll look the same, but you can see the differences when you take a closer look. It's similar to comparing Spanish to French or German or Italian.)

I'm primarily focused on the overall look of the deck and not really concerned with rarity or value. Where I'm looking for advice is what to do about the few cards that are only available in S-Chinese (1x Ad Nauseam, 2x Empty The Warrens, 4x Infernal Tutor, 4x Rite of Flame). I'm debating just getting them in S-Chinese since that's what they're available in or getting them in Japanese to go with the LEDs (since LED isn't available in Chinese). If I just get them in S-Chinese will that be a mixture of too many languages?

If you've run into this with other languages, what did you end up doing? Thanks in advance for your time.

-Donny

Re: Looking for advice on making my legacy deck foreign

The only correct thing to do is copy that one elves player and commission traditional chinese alters.

Well that was easy, I didn't even think about doing alters. LEDs are going to look super pimp, too. Thanks!

Haha, no problem. I was mostly joking since it's a big endeavor but the finished deck will look amazing if you commit to it. I think the user who commissioned the others was AznSeal if you want to get in touch with an artist who has done it before.

Awesome, thanks for the reference. Altering looks like a very real option. I might end up doing the LEDs, too, if I go down this route.

I tend to go with a hierarchy of languages, depending on the deck. But I like an eclectic look over a consistent look, so whatever.

If I was doing TES/ANT I would probably do Korean > S-Chinese > German (which I think is full coverage).

With Chinese it depends on the era as well. The "middle" T-Chinese (Urza's through something I can't remember) is awesome and bold and blocky. On either side of that one I'm not as big a fan. Similar issue with S-Chinese (although the flavor text nowadays tends to have the same boldness as the "good" S-Chinese font). Unless you read Chinese, its probably going to look like 2-3 different languages/fonts regardless being my point here.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by NLTizzle View Post
    (If you don't know anything about Chinese, the differences are sort of minimal. At a glance, they'll look the same, but you can see the differences when you take a closer look. It's similar to comparing Spanish to French or German or Italian.)
    I don't know why German is there... german has more ressemblances with English than French spanish or italian....

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

As someone who has foreigned-out his entire Legacy collection, it all comes down to your preference with language. 90% or more of my stuff is in Japanese because that's my favorite-looking language, I've just filled in gaps with whatever was available that also looked cool. I would advise Japanese simply because of LED, but that could also be my personal bias talking.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Jan 2015
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    As someone who has foreigned-out his entire Legacy collection, it all comes down to your preference with language. 90% or more of my stuff is in Japanese because that's my favorite-looking language, I've just filled in gaps with whatever was available that also looked cool. I would advise Japanese simply because of LED, but that could also be my personal bias talking.
    I agree with this, I have all of my collection in Japanese because it looks the best IMO and it was printed all the way back in mirage. If there are cards that aren't in japanese then I go for the original art in a foreign language which is usually French or Italian.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by skyout View Post
    I agree with this, I have all of my collection in Japanese because it looks the best IMO and it was printed all the way back in mirage. If there are cards that aren't in japanese then I go for the original art in a foreign language which is usually French or Italian.
    Yeah, I do basically the same thing except with German for stuff pre-Mirage. The exception for me is Legends where I prefer English as it just looks far better than Italian IMO.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by bwah? View Post
    I tend to go with a hierarchy of languages, depending on the deck. But I like an eclectic look over a consistent look, so whatever.

If I was doing TES/ANT I would probably do Korean > S-Chinese > German (which I think is full coverage).

With Chinese it depends on the era as well. The "middle" T-Chinese (Urza's through something I can't remember) is awesome and bold and blocky. On either side of that one I'm not as big a fan. Similar issue with S-Chinese (although the flavor text nowadays tends to have the same boldness as the "good" S-Chinese font). Unless you read Chinese, its probably going to look like 2-3 different languages/fonts regardless being my point here.
    I love both of the Chinese fonts that they used on the older cards. Have to admit that despite wanting to go the T-Chinese route, my favorite font is one they used on the older S-Chinese cards.

Beta > All
    OP AN/AQ/Dark/Legend English > All
    FE Miscut > All
    IA - Mirage German > All
    Visions - Saga Korean > All
    Urza's Legacy - Saviors German > All
    Ravnica - Now Russian > All
    Coldsnap German > All

Exceptions:

French Vindicate
    French Choke
    Português Entomb

I also have tons of Chinese cards and use them in special communist themed decks like Goblins.

/thread

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Beta > All
    OP AN/AQ/Dark/Legend English > All
    FE Miscut > All
    IA - Mirage German > All
    Visions - Saga Korean > All
    Urza's Legacy - Saviors German > All
    Ravnica - Now Russian > All
    Coldsnap German > All

Exceptions:

French Vindicate
    French Choke
    Português Entomb

I also have tons of Chinese cards and use them in special communist themed decks like Goblins.

/thread
    I find your lack of Japan disturbing.
    Lord of the Chalice

Nedleeds is firmly on the record for hating those cards with the "moon runes" that everyone else loves so much.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    French Choke
    SUFFOCATION! NO BREATHING!

Also, French Delay?

Retard is amusing but I was pointing out cards I consider playable (which is a fairly wide berth).

Also, you may override on German if the name contains at least 8 consonants.

Thread Information