Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The colorless mana symbol is GOOD for Legacy

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: The colorless mana symbol is GOOD for Legacy

The filter lands are what I'd be more interested in over the pain lands honestly. They're quite powerful in a lot of situations (but obviously don't work with other colorless sources!)
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Re: The colorless mana symbol is GOOD for Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    He might not see it that way today, but take the long view.

"Urborg Volcano" is thematically linked to Dominara.
    "Hallowed Fountain" is not thematically linked to Ravnica.

Does it mean they print <> without it being on Eldrazi? Nope; see the shocklands, above. But it does mean they certainly can when it makes sense to do so. Remember, they have to think of 1/3 again as many gimmicks each year now, with the new set rotation.
    I'm just with Cire on this. I think it's a wonderful think if it gets used. I'm just skeptical that we'll see it used in any meaningful way because of the way Maro has been answering questions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It isn't so much that :c: is special mana, but it's special to be a :c: spell or permanent imho.

It's never about the mana with :c:, getting hung about generating colorless mana is a total side issue. The deal with colorless objects is that they can't also be colored, they can only be one or the other.

I know that :c: is harder to generate than but when it comes to establishing the identity of :c: castables - not even Eldrazi ones, just colorless objects - including colored mana in its cost makes that object cease to be colorless. We already have ways of making colored spells harder to cast - we add more colored mana symbols.

It is, in my opinion, less about the fact that :c: is harder to cast as a fact, than it is as a practice and as a means of establishing why a card is what it is. Any other multicolored combination of mana symbols typically means that the card has qualities from all involved colors and is more aggressively costed because of it. Colorless mana is just overwritten when colors are introduced, and the card loses its "colorless" status entirely, so the only thing it can do is make the card arbitrarily hard to cast when the better option is probably always just going to be costing the card with double or triple mana symbols.
    I hear what you are saying... but then I think about Devoid, and cards like Pact of Negation... and i'm not sure that "establishing why a card is what it is" is that big of a problem for Wizards.

Thread Information