Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Wizards MAY be cracking down on unsanctioned proxy events

Feb 2014

Re: Wizards MAY be cracking down on unsanctioned proxy events

Quote Originally Posted by Steak View Post
    Not trying to be pedantic but part of the reason the whole situation was blown up was because "Proxy" meant a couple different things to everyone. A proxy is only given by a judge to replace a card in a sanctioned tournament that has become unplayable. Playtest cards (what most people assumed were proxies) are just basics with sharpie on them. They didn't specifically say it, but I assume everything else is considered counterfeit e.g. full art Tundra.

I don't necessarily agree with considering custom and alternate art cards as counterfeit but I'm glad we're getting definitions straight from the horses mouth. I don't personally like or want them but I know a lot of cube enthusiasts do.
    A Proxy is something that is used to replace the actual thing. A proxy is not something illegal by itself. A counterfeit is.
    A counterfeit can be used as a proxy (but it is illegal) so a proxy can be a counterfeit, but it doesn't have to be one.

You can use a beta tundra and use it casually as a proxy of a hallowed fountain in your modern deck, because you consider it looks better, if you warned your buddy before the game. It's the use that make the proxy, not the object itself.

a Full art tundra is not a proxy if you use them as a tundra, and can even be used in DCI-sanctionned events if the head judge agrees on it and if their actually made from an original tundra.
    Using a real magic card and changing the illustration, or even doing whatever you like on it like cutting it into pieces is not counterfeiting anything. It can make a card not tournament legal though.

I guess everybody can understand what a counterfeit is? you do not have the right to use the art (so do not print proxies), it is copyrighted. But once you have an original card, whatever you do on it which isn't using IP is fine (altering your tundra using the art of Stasis is violating IP, as Stasis art is copyrighted. Additionally most judge will not consider it tournament legal, as it can be misleading).

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    A Proxy is something that is used to replace the actual thing. A proxy is not something illegal by itself. A counterfeit is.
    A counterfeit can be used as a proxy (but it is illegal) so a proxy can be a counterfeit, but it doesn't have to be one.
    I understand the literal definition of a proxy, but I believe Wizards is trying to use different words to specify what is and isn't acceptable. Correct me if I'm wrong but going by the article wouldn't using a Tundra as a Hallowed Fountain in a casual match still be called a playtest card?

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    a Full art tundra is not a proxy if you use them as a tundra, and can even be used in DCI-sanctionned events if the head judge agrees on it and if their actually made from an original tundra.
    Using a real magic card and changing the illustration, or even doing whatever you like on it like cutting it into pieces is not counterfeiting anything. It can make a card not tournament legal though.
    Sorry, when I said full art Tundra I was referring to the foil alternate art, new frame ones you can buy on ebay. Didn't mean to confuse that with altered original cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak View Post
    I understand the literal definition of a proxy, but I believe Wizards is trying to use different words to specify what is and isn't acceptable. Correct me if I'm wrong but going by the article wouldn't using a Tundra as a Hallowed Fountain in a casual match still be called a playtest card?

Sorry, when I said full art Tundra I was referring to the foil alternate art, new frame ones you can buy on ebay. Didn't mean to confuse that with altered original cards.
    Yeah, we got three definitions from Wizards now. Two are official, one is kinda-sorta created in the newest article.

1. Counterfeit - A "copy or reproduction" of an actual magic card.
    2. Proxy - An official stand-in given by a judge in an event where a card is damaged.
    3. Playtest - "Playtest cards aren't trying to be reproductions of real Magic cards; they don't have official art and they wouldn't pass even [sic] as the real thing under the most cursory glance."

Thread Information