Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

Hybrid View

[DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

To find the current (under construction) Primer please follow the links here, here and here.
    Dice.

This is the thread for all discussion of the new Oath of the Gatewatch Eldrazi in a classic "Stompy" shell featuring Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, and Sol-Lands (Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors).

The idea of this deck is to use the "Sol lands" of Legacy (Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors) to power out lock pieces such as Chalice of the Void and Thorn of Amethyst, and then use additional "Sol lands" (Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin) that pay for Eldrazi creatures to power out disruptive and aggressive Eldrazi creatures printed in the Battle for Zendikar / Oath of the Gatewatch block. The basic structure of this deck features:

The Necessary Lands:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3-4 City of Traitors
    3-4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple

The Necessary Prison Element:
    4 Chalice of the Void

The Necessary Eldrazi Creatures:
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Endless One

Beyond that, some lists play additional disruption in Thorn of Amethyst or Trinisphere, additional Eldrazi beyond the core 16 such as Endbringer, or Eldrazi Displacer, or Oblivion Sower or even Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger, and additional utility lands such as Cavern of Souls, or Wasteland, or Mishra's Factory, or Karakas, or some combination thereof.

As a reference point, Caleb Durward's original article: http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...ght-knot-seer/

He proposes the following list:

Lands
    4 x Eldrazi Temple
    3 x Eye of Ugin
    4 x Ancient Tomb
    3 x City of Traitors
    4 x Wasteland
    4 x Cavern of Souls
    2 x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 x Bojuka Bog
    Creatures
    4 x Thought-Knot Seer
    4 x Reality Smasher
    4 x Oblivion Sower
    4 x Matter Reshaper

Spells
    4 x Mox Diamond
    4 x Chalice of the Void
    3 x Trinisphere
    2 x Batterskull
    2 x Umezawa's Jitte
    2 x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 x Dismember

Here is a list that Gerry Thompson piloted to the finals of the Starcitygames Legacy Open in Philadelphia on 2/28/16:

Creatures (21)

4 Eldrazi Mimic
    1 Endbringer
    4 Endless One
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thought-Knot Seer

Lands (25)

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Wasteland
    3 Eye of Ugin
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Spells (14)

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Mox Diamond
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Dismember
    1 Warping Wail

Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Dismember
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 All Is Dust

Remember, this thread is intended to consolidate discussion of Stompy Eldrazi into one place. This is not about an Eldrazi deck featuring Cabal Therapy and Deathrite Shaman, nor is it a thread about Eldrazi in a white shell with Stoneforge Mystic.

I personally believe that the excellent new Eldrazi creatures might finally make the Stompy shell with Chalice and Trinisphere a borderline Tier 1/Tier 1.5 deck if we come to a consensus on the best possible configuration. The potential of the new creatures such as Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher is simply through the roof and will provide exciting new opportunities for deckbuilders not only in Modern but Legacy as well.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 03-15-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Re: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

I like this direction.

I have a few ideas about this deck. But three solid SB suggestions: Chains of Mephistopheles, Toxic Deluge, and Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger. I think those will be vital cards for us going forward.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Perhaps one or two Diabolic Intent would fit nicely in this deck. They play incredibly well with Matter Reshaper and can find you exactly the card you need.

I like the idea, but doesn't like :
    2 x Blight Herder: Never trigger, it's just a 4/5 vanilla too weak for me
    1 x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger: Powerful in modern, but not in Legacy because too slow for me and I think Ulamog with Annihilator is better.

Anyway, you should play, at least x3, All Is Dust in order to clean the board.
    This spell can be easily played (Eldrazi type) and so will return many situations in your favor.

Jul 2011
    Germany

First: Why we need 3! Threads with an Eldrazi Topic.... it isn't clear if any build will be solid enough for an "Established" Deck, which means it also got some nice results and can keep up with the meta.

Second: As it was already mentioned by Ralf at the BW Eldrazi Thread, a mono/colorless "Stompy Shell" with Chalice+Trinisphere should be look like this more or less (i changed minor slots and added a random sideboard idea)

Land (24)
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Cloudpost
    4x Glimmerpost
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    2x Eye of Ugin
    2x Vesuva

Creature (21)
    4x Eldrazi Mimic
    3x Endbringer
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    2x Endless One

Rest (15)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Trinisphere
    4x Warping Wail
    3x All Is Dust

Sideboard (15)
    3x Faerie Macabre
    3x Mindbreak Trap
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Karn Liberated
    1x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1x Wastes

If you go this way you don't need a color, if you add a color you can't go big enough (no endbringer, all is dust etc.) and should work either on a port of the modern Bx version, or add the prison stuff like chalice&trinisphere and splash one or two colors, which lead to another playstyle (like my stoneforge midrange brew) with other benefits. The questions are: What is your playstyle and which build will be the best for the legacy tournament environment.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Hmm..

Is the Post manabase worth it? We can go super big, but we end up playing out like a bad version of 12-post or even some builds of MUD that play the post mana.

Is Endbringer okay? He (it?) seems too slow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    First
    If you go this way you don't need a color, if you add a color you can't go big enough (no endbringer, all is dust etc.) and should work either on a port of the modern Bx version, or add the prison stuff like chalice&trinisphere and splash one or two colors, which lead to another playstyle (like my stoneforge midrange brew) with other benefits. The questions are: What is your playstyle and which build will be the best for the legacy tournament environment.
    The list I gave in the other thread has been properly proxied and tested during several nights against:

- Miracle
    - Shardless
    - D&T
    - Canadian Thresh
    - S&T
    - ANT
    - Reanimator

Only preboard games.

All these matches are positive G1 or 50/50 (mostly vs combo).

Displacer is unfortunately much needed. It just flat out wins games on its own.

The problem is that the deck folds to "Blood moon / loam +wasteland".

Here is a new list (untested atm) to solve the aforementioned issue.
    You lose some velocity to get a better manabase.
    I'm not sure we need the post manabase. Vesuva are usually copying Temple anyway...

One would have to assess whether the velocity loss is > to the loss to blood moon.deck.

Here is the list:

Lands (23)

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Sea Gate Wreckage
    5 Wastes
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Vesuva
    2 Eye of Ugin

Creatures (24)

2 Endless one
    2 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Endbringer

Artifact (7)

4 Chalice of The Void
    3 Trinisphere

Instant (4)

4 Warping Wail

Sorcery (2)

2 All is Dust

Sideboard

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Tormod Crypt
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Umezawa's jitte
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 All is dust
    1 Kozilek, butcher of truth

Happy testing.

Edit: the side is just a rough idea.
    I think we would need 2 more cards against infect.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    First: Why we need 3! Threads with an Eldrazi Topic.... it isn't clear if any build will be solid enough for an "Established" Deck, which means it also got some nice results and can keep up with the meta.
    I am not sure if this was a question but so far the three threads are:

Eldrazi Stompy with a Color
    Eldrazi Stompy without a Color
    Eldrazi "Midrange" (no chalice)

As such lists with Displacer or Strangler seem to belong in the other thread, right?

I'm still not convinced that Endless One is better than Endbringer.
    I like the Sphere of Resistance instead of Trinisphere.
    Mother of Runes is powerless against us...but I still agree Spellskite has its place. Against most decks that Relic is good against, I'd rather have Chalice at 1. Therefore Tormod's Crypt is better.
    4 Eye of Ugin seems kind of excessive, but I cannot deny the reduction potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Trinisphere is too much. 4 Chalice have to be enough. And since I´m a big fan of warping wail, mindstone and eldrazi mimic, I don´t want to slow myself down. Even chalice would be more expensive. I dont like that idea.

2 days ago I didnt know what to think about endless one, but now I´m thinking that this could be a good one. The only thing is, you have to play at least 3 Eye of Ugin. Imagine a deck with 4 Eldrazi mimics and 4 endless one. First turn you could put as many as you got on the board. Nice thought. They´re good against early threats (e.g. death and taxes or goblins) and they probably eat some counters that dont counter our real stuff.

This is my today-list. I would appreciate feedback

creatures:
    4x eldrazi mimic
    4x thought knot seer
    4x reality smasher
    3x endless one
    2x endbringer
    1x Kozilek Great distortion
    1y Ulamog, ceaseless hunger

spells;
    4x chalice of the void
    4x warping wail
    2x grim monolith
    4x mind stone
    2x all is dust

land:
    4x glimmerpost
    4x cloudpost
    4x eldrazi temple
    3x eye of ugin
    4x ancient tomb
    3x cavern of souls
    2x vesuva
    1x thespians stage

Thoughts:
    I want to play a 4th endless one but dont know what to cut.
    I´m not sure about the 2 vesuva. Now that I´m playing 3 eye of ugin, vesuva is bit risky. Alternatives??? City of traitors in my opinion is not consistent enough. Maybe Crystal vein. I played that one at the tournament last week.
    What is the best graveyard-hate card: Faerie mcabre, surgical extraction or tormods crypt? crypt seems a little bit slow. surgical takes care of the remaining wastelands. thats great. faerie mccabre cant be countered and is at instant speed. It´s hard to make a decision.

Thanks for your help

How about a 4th Cavern and just one Vesuva? I feel in so many MUs I want a Cavern no matter what.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

As I've been playing 25+ matches against different builds of Eldrazi in the last week I thought I could give a little bit of input. I've just been piloting Miracles and Esper so I can only offer some tips on these matches. But I've found that having at least one really big Eldrazi for the late game can be outstandingly important if the game doesn't go the way you'd like it to (read: Chalice gets countered, Swords + Snapcaster etc). As you have access to Eye of Ugin it's pretty much a no brainer but I still see lists not running any of the big creatures, which is exactly what UWx wants to happen. So I'd really do that.

Just wanted to let you know. Good luck brewing with this deck! :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

[DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

Lands is by far the worst matchup. Most other decks are inferior to our disruption and clock.
    I don't understand Surgical Extraction or Relic of Progenitus if you are banking on Chalice at 1. Tormod's Crypt seems just better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And kill Endless One.

Quote: "wasteland is a big Problem. "

Thats right. Try mind stone. I play 4 maindeck. And they are very very helpful against wasteland and bloodmoon.
    Also crystal vein is an Option. I play 2 aß you can see in my above.

Best regards

I had played 4 Mind Stone in my previous build. It was definitely good. I wanted to try something different tonight though, and went all-in on the aggro plan with Endless Ones and Revokers. Didn't want to cut any of the Chalice/Trinisphere/Warping Wail cards, so that meant Mind Stone, and I got punished.

This is really the main divide between the 2 or 3 different decks being discussed in this thread - sacrifice resiliency for speed, or no. More testing is required, and maybe it has to be a meta call of "are the tempo Wasteland decks out in force today? If so, play slower Mind Stone deck. If not, kill people faster but get pwnt by those are actually playing Wasteland."

I think an interesting thing to consider in this deck is Wasteland vs Cavern. Both can be incredibly strong, and I can see the arguments for both sides. Cavern is pretty amazing with Reality Smasher draws against Delver, and Wasteland is great with Thorn/3sphere.

[DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

Hofzge I have been running a very similar list concentrated on aggression (old list is a few pages back) and would love your input on a few things, mainly:
    - How much has Trinisphere had dissynergy with Eye? I'm somewhat afraid of 3Ball slowing us down considerably too.
    - How has Mox Diamond been? I tested it before and was very unimpressed with it. Discarding lands, despite it landing lock pieces early, feels awful in such a mana-hungry deck.

Anyway, my revised list looks like:

Creatures: (24)
    4 Endless One
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Non-Creature Spells: (12)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Warping Wail
    2 Dismember

Lands: (24)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    4 Wasteland
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard: (15)
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Endbringer
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Spellskite
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Warping Wail

Major change is SSG as acceleration piece, which can be hardcast at time too via Cavern, and introduction of Thorns. Though if 3Balls are still valid to everyone despite Eye dissynergy I'm happy to replace them with those. I'll be playing a weekly tomorrow with this nonetheless and will report results.

Also on Cockatrice I played the mirror so many times today... This deck is really gaining momentum. I can see that the aggressive lists are starting to boil down to an obvious core (it's just the best small Eldrazi + locks + some removal, so no surprises there), but it seems like the midrange variants are going in a variety of diverging directions which is cool too. I'm personally a big fan of finding a place for Worldbreaker. I might try find time to tune a list that runs in a similar way to how MUD functions, going a bit bigger though, however.

EDIT: Couldn't sleep if I didn't brew a list. Completely untested, but going along MD.Ghost's lines:

Creatures: (19)
    4 Endless One
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 World Breaker
    2 Endbringer
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Non-Creature Spells: (16)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 All Is Dust

Lands: (25)
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Karplusan Forest
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Eye of Ugin

Sideboard: (15)
    3 Kozilek's Return
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Dismember
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle

This is completely untested and just theorycraft. That being said, Grove is probably one of the best lands for this kind of list, as it casts World Breaker and our colourless spells easily and gives us access to a powerful creature control mechanism. Kozilek's Return is also sweet out of the sideboard and I guess Grudge is potentially castable? :/ Nonetheless I like the look of this list.

bruizar

To everyone using Brushland, I'd consider Horizon Canopy over it. I think it's well worth the fact that it doesn't tap for colorless.

Thread Information