Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Re: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

I like being disruptive much more than Ralf and so I would play something along the lines of:

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    4x Cavern of Souls
    3x City of Traitors
    3x Eye of Ugin
    4x Wasteland
    2x Sea Gate Wreckage

4x Mox Diamond
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Trinisphere
    3x Warping Wail

3x Endless One
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    4x Reality Smasher
    2x Endbringer

Sideboard:

1x All Is Dust
    1x Cursed Totem
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Sword of Feast and Famine
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Tsabo's Web
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Warping Wail

This deck should be well positioned against combo decks.
    I am quite unsure of what is good in a mirror or against a MUD deck outside of Equipment... maybe we should think about that too!
    Last edited by hofzge; 01-20-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    Chalice on 1

I have started testing this deck, and I can say that it seems very well positionned. Here is my list :
    My manabase is 30 land and i think it should be the right number, I don't like mox diamond here and mishra and maze are very good here with urborg.
    You have a good late game against miracle thanks to ugin. There is really no reason not to play 4 ugin even with the fact that is a legend, that's the best land of the deck.
    All is dust is good at resetting stuff while you stalled with maze or creatures. Ratchet bomb is better i think that the 1C new card. It can be casted turn one and can answer stuff with higher casting cost (blood moon, TNN Entreats tokens)

4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Maze of Ith
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Endbringer

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

3 Ratchet Bomb
    4 All Is Dust

SB: 2 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    SB: 4 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 4 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

It's been sometime since I've drafted a deck so I may be a bit rusty here...

What I've noticed about the manabases is that we are weak to Wasteland and Blood Moon, however there are decks that coexist with them that are fully non basic, so possibly we can be as well. Urborg and Eye is too good to pass up, especially with a deck that can support 12 (!!!) Sol lands between Temple, City, and Tomb. The Post base seems enticing, but that's 8 spots to fill and I'd rather use those 8 for Eye and Urborg because it is a consistent source of 3 mana...Cloudpost maybe a touch too slow here, but the upside is that we can go huge with them. We are not a ramp control deck like 12Post is, we are aggro control with Prison effects, so consistent fast mana is better, IMO. The tempo loss from the Posts could be big.

The other problem is finding an effective moon effect. We need our lands more so that Dragon Stompy, since they can opporate under Blood Moon--Red is out. White gives us Suppression field and access to things like Displacer, but Field automatically makes Eye and Displacer bad, despite being able to crush fetches and things like Wasteland, Top, etc. iI considered blue for Arcane Laboratory and perhaps In the Eye of Chaos, but that was quickly binned.

Revoker seems like a good fit to apply an early threat and stop nonsense like Wasteland.

Straight colorless is the way to go. We have on curve creatures that are big and hard to deal with, and all of them are able to come way early thanks for 12 sols and essentially Mishra's Workshop. We can safely play Chalice at 1, perhaps more, good card generation with Matter Reshaper, and all of our threats are Cavern of Souls-able.

My first draft:
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Cavern of Souls

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Though-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 Oblivion Sower
    1 ? (Maybe a Titan)

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Trinisphere

4 Warping Wail
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    Revoker seems like a good fit to apply an early threat and stop nonsense like Wasteland.
    Revoker can only name nonland cards ;_;
    That said we could always not run a full playset of urborg and run like 2 wastes or something

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Oh yes...I can read cards. Make sure you do as well, kiddies...

Playing more basics to dodge Moon and Wasteland, could be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

How about a anti Moon Sideboard?

[Land (24)]
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    3x Eye of Ugin
    2x Sea Gate Wreckage
    4x Wasteland

[Instant (3)]
    3x Warping Wail

[Creature (21)]
    2x Endbringer
    3x Endless One
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

[Artifacts(12)]
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Trinisphere

[Sideboard (15)]
    1x All Is Dust
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    3x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Sword of Feast and Famine
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Warping Wail

As Blood Moon is one of the most problematic cards I would dedicate at least 3 slots to it and even All is Dust can be sideboarded (as a very suboptimal card).

The MUD Stax decks run 4 Ratchet Bombs maindeck to handle fast permanents, so 3 sideboard bomb should be ok.
    I don't know if there are better/faster solutions to Blood Moon in the face of Painter's Servant and Pyroblasts.
    Last edited by hofzge; 01-20-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    Chalice on 1

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

On the face of it, the idea of not being able to cast colorless cards b/c there's a Bloodmoon on the field is hilarious.

Even though I like the idea of colorless mana as a "sixth color", given the history of colorless cards and generic mana, not being able to cast colorless cards on Mountains alone feels somewhat off.

bruizar

I wouldn't care about Blood Moon. It isn't represented in enough decks to care about it imo. If you want to deal with blood moon, just play some Grim Monoliths or something. Replace those Mox Diamonds since Mox Diamond can't add colorless mana and you don't want to be pitching lands in a deck with expensive beaters. Also, I don't see why you would play Endless One. You can get X/X for X mana + an ability. Just design the curve of the deck properly so you don't have to play vanilla beaters

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

We will just have to live with it and either play something like 6 Wastes main or sideboard some or have some colorless answer to Blood Moon like Ratchet Bomb, Powder Keg, Nevinnyrral's Disk, Oblivion Stone or All is Dust.
    Chalice on 1

bruizar

Solemn Simulacrum provides access to 1-2 Wastes.

That seems terrible. I rather run some talisman. Easy turn 1 acceleration + All the color/colorless fixing.
    撤h'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    That seems terrible. I rather run some talisman. Easy turn 1 acceleration + All the color/colorless fixing.
    I mentioned Solemn Simulacrum for the fact that it affects basic lands and we're not really used to fetching up colorless basic lands yet, so its not an obvious solution. Talismans looks a lot better, especially for colored sideboard cards.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

This is the other way of solving this problem:

[Land (24)]
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    3x Eye of Ugin
    1x Sea Gate Wreckage
    4x Wasteland
    1x Wastes

[Instant (3)]
    3x Warping Wail

[Creature (21)]
    2x Endbringer
    3x Endless One
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

[Artifact (12)]
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Trinisphere

[Sideboard (15)]
    1x All Is Dust
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Talisman of Dominance
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Warping Wail

Now with 100% more Wastes ;) Use at your own risk!
    Last edited by hofzge; 01-20-2016 at 06:58 AM.
    Chalice on 1

bruizar

This is my first draft. Very speculative since I don't know whether or not its good at all.

Lands [21]
    4 Bayou
    3 Llanowar Wastes
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Spells [21]
    4 Ancient Stirrings
    3 Warping Wail
    5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK
    3 Abrupt Decay

1 Roiling Spoil
    1 Toxic Deluge
    4 Trinisphere
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    [creature 15]
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 World Breaker
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    3 Flex slots

It has enough discard as well as lodestone/trinisphere to make combo a good matchup. It has bigger beaters than normal decks. It has access to spot removal and a few sweepers and gets to dig efficiently with stirrings.

I opt for World Breaker on the top end of the curve because it deals with problem permanents well (although not with Blood Moon in this particular build). With the amount of pressure on the hand, I think Reality Smasher really shines. It would be great if I could find place for Cavern of Souls without losing the colored spells.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    This is my first draft. Very speculative since I don't know whether or not its good at all.

Lands [21]
    4 Bayou
    3 Llanowar Wastes
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Spells [21]
    4 Ancient Stirrings
    3 Warping Wail
    5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK
    3 Abrupt Decay

1 Roiling Spoil
    1 Toxic Deluge
    4 Trinisphere
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    [creature 15]
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 World Breaker
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    3 Flex slots

It has enough discard as well as lodestone/trinisphere to make combo a good matchup. It has bigger beaters than normal decks. It has access to spot removal and a few sweepers and gets to dig efficiently with stirrings.

I opt for World Breaker on the top end of the curve because it deals with problem permanents well (although not with Blood Moon in this particular build). With the amount of pressure on the hand, I think Reality Smasher really shines. It would be great if I could find place for Cavern of Souls without losing the colored spells.
    You have quite a few nombos in your deck:

4 Lodestone Golem + 4 Ancient Stirrings, 3 Warping Wail, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK, 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Roiling Spoil, 1 Toxic Deluge, 4 Trinisphere, 4 Thought-Knot Seer, 4 Reality Smasher, 3 World Breaker
    => You hinder yourself from playing your spells / Leave out the Lodestone Golems

4 Trinisphere + 4 Ancient Stirrings, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK
    => Trinisphere is not so hot with your own 1 Mana spells / Agina you hinder yourself from casting your spells

3 Eye of Ugin + 4 Lodestone Golem, 4 Ancient Stirrings, 3 Warping Wail, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK, 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Roiling Spoil, 1 Toxic Deluge, 4 Trinisphere
    => You have many spells that Eye of Ugin provides no Mana for / It may be greedy to play 3 of them if they make neither nor nor

Same thing for 4 Ancient Tomb, 3 City of Traitors, 4 Eldrazi Temple + 4 Ancient Stirrings, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK, 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Roiling Spoil, 1 Toxic Deluge
    => I think you will have some problems casting your colored spells, especially the Roiling Spoils and Abrupt Decays
    Chalice on 1

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

I really want to give this a shot. Is there any way to make this deck and run blood moon in the main? I'm having a hard time figuring a list or. I definitely want to do a chalice build.
    Once you go Legacy...

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Blood Moon has 0 synergy with cards that need colorless mana, in fact it is one of the worst enemies of this deck (at least of you play all the Eldrazi with colorless requirements).
    Chalice on 1

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Just remember 3sphere and Eye do not a combo make.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by hofzge View Post
    You have quite a few nombos in your deck:

4 Lodestone Golem + 4 Ancient Stirrings, 3 Warping Wail, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK, 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Roiling Spoil, 1 Toxic Deluge, 4 Trinisphere, 4 Thought-Knot Seer, 4 Reality Smasher, 3 World Breaker
    => You hinder yourself from playing your spells / Leave out the Lodestone Golems

4 Trinisphere + 4 Ancient Stirrings, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK
    => Trinisphere is not so hot with your own 1 Mana spells / Agina you hinder yourself from casting your spells

3 Eye of Ugin + 4 Lodestone Golem, 4 Ancient Stirrings, 3 Warping Wail, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK, 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Roiling Spoil, 1 Toxic Deluge, 4 Trinisphere
    => You have many spells that Eye of Ugin provides no Mana for / It may be greedy to play 3 of them if they make neither nor nor

Same thing for 4 Ancient Tomb, 3 City of Traitors, 4 Eldrazi Temple + 4 Ancient Stirrings, 5 Thoughtseize / Duress / IoK, 3 Abrupt Decay, 1 Roiling Spoil, 1 Toxic Deluge
    => I think you will have some problems casting your colored spells, especially the Roiling Spoils and Abrupt Decays
    Hah my build is pretty bad in hindsight. I really like how they designed the Eldrazis. It seems you can't just throw them into existing artifact shells. I can't believe how bad my build was :-)

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Well I think you can throw them into artifact shells, but the thing you need to pay attention to is the colorless mana and the acceleration that the virtual 16 sol lands (Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple) give you - all spells more or less cost 1/2 of what is printed on them.

This makes all evenly costed Eldrazis even more appealing (Eldrazi Mimic, Thought-Knot Seer, Endbringer) and make the Endless One a very special case, as he is 2/2 for each land drop (2/2, 4/4, 6/6 etc.).

The thing the Eldrazi sorely lack is interaction (except Thought-Knot Seer which is just bonkers in any regard) and thus the Stompy shell, that works well with the 8 colorless Sols lands and Mox Diamond (and doesn't work so well with Chrome Mox and colorless/devoid Eldrazi).

You can also have this interaction with black discard and the Urborg/Eye of Ugin interaction, which is the what the black Eldrazi decks are based on.
    Chalice on 1

Thread Information