Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Re: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

I asked this in the MUD thread, and would like to hear thoughts from people here, too. What are the benefits of this deck over traditional MUD? I've neither played nor seen this deck in action, but I'm hearing a lot of people speculate this will be a tier 1 deck while MUD won't.

The upsides and downsides I've thought of are:
    - Pro: possibly better mana base
    - Pro: not as vulnerable to artifact removal
    - Pro: Thought-Knot Seer lets you directly attack the opponent's hand
    - Con: you miss all the artifact synergies (Forgemaster, Lodestone, Metalworker)
    - Con: fewer Stax effects (assuming you don't run Lodestone)
    - Con: weaker bombs/toolbox cards (compared to Wurmcoil, Emperion, Blightsteel, and Ugin)(and assuming you don't run Emrakul, Ulamog, etc)
    - Con: loses to Blood Moon, unless you add Wastes

Admittedly, I'm biased and don't think this deck looks better than MUD. However, the new cards are cool and I'd love for someone to sell me on Eldrazi Stompy.

bruizar

I don't know man, I think turn 1 Urborg Thoughtseize into turn 2 Eye of Ugin Thought-Knot Seer is pretty darn good.

I don't know man, I think turn 1 Urborg Thoughtseize into turn 2 Eye of Ugin Thought-Knot Seer is pretty darn good.
    This is not possible

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    This is not possible
    Ugh you're right. I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around building decks with <>.

bruizar

Ok, yet another try.. Lets hope i wont fumble again :)

4 Urza's incubator
    4 Heartless summoning

4 Ancient tomb
    3 City of traitors
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Eldrazi temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    4 Wasteland

4 Conduit of Ruin
    4 oblivion sower
    4 thought-knot seer
    2 kozilek, the great distortion
    3 ulamog, the ceaseless hunger
    4 blight herder
    4 chalice of the void
    4 trinisphere
    2 All is Dust
    1 Void Winnower

-2 cards

This cost reduction version is borrowed from heartless eldrazi. Urzas incubator is an extra cost reducer we get to play.

You hope to play conduit of ruin for almost free and immediately chain him into something else thats good.
    Last edited by bruizar; 01-24-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Ok, yet another try.. Lets hope i wont fumble again :)

4 Urzas incubator
    4 Heartless summoning

4 Ancient tomb
    3 City of traitors
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Eldrazi temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    4 Wasteland

4 Conduit of Ruin
    4 oblivion sower
    4 thought knot seer
    2 kozilek the great distortion
    3 ulamog the ceaseless hunger
    4 blightherder
    4 chalice of the void
    4 trinisphere
    2 All is Dust
    1 Void Winnower

-2 cards

This cost reduction version is borrowed from heartless eldrazi. Urzas incubator is an extra cost reducer we get to play.

You hope to play conduit of ruin for almost free and immediately chain him into something else thats good.

Eye of ugin, 1 cost reducers -> 2 mana conduit inti 4 mana kozilek/ulamog.
    I'd go ahead and cut the blight herders here. consider the haste guy instead. he can at least win games out of nowhere, and blight herder tokens are dead to heartless. I would also just try running dismember over all is dust.
    -rob

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    I'd go ahead and cut the blight herders here. consider the haste guy instead. he can at least win games out of nowhere, and blight herder tokens are dead to heartless. I would also just try running dismember over all is dust.
    Good points. Reality Smasher might be better, but I am a bit hesitant to couple him with Heartless Summoning because the -1/-1 hurts when applied to smaller creatures. Perhaps I should just replace it with colorless spells (Wail / Spatial Contortion). Also I have to correct myself: Conduit of Ruin cost reduction only applies to the first creature cast.

Question: How does Trinisphere interact with the cost reducers?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Good points. Reality Smasher might be better, but I am a bit hesitant to couple him with Heartless Summoning because the -1/-1 hurts when applied to smaller creatures. Perhaps I should just replace it with colorless spells (Wail / Spatial Contortion). Also I have to correct myself: Conduit of Ruin cost reduction only applies to the first creature cast.

trinisphere will always check at the end, 3 minimum cost for each spell.
    -rob

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

To sum it up. The CMC of the card is checked. Then taxing effects like Thalia are added. Then effects are substracted. That amount is then checked and modified to 3 if < 3.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    To sum it up. The CMC of the card is checked. Then taxing effects like Thalia are added. Then effects are substracted. That amount is then checked and modified to 3 if < 3.
    The order is correct, but I don't think there's an initial check as you describe. When a spell is cast, taxing effects are added in, reducers are subtracted, then minimum cast modifiers like 3Sphere check and modify.

Trinisphere is easy to calculate, I'll teach you a simple rule: "You cannot avoid paying less than 3 mana for any spell you cast."

That's it. There's no way to cheat the system. Period. Play for free? Nope, you have to spend at least 3 mana. Cast from suspend? Doesn't matter spend 3 mana. Thalia + Wingmare + Heartless Summoning + all this other crap, are you spending at least 3 mana to cast it? No cheating, can't pay less sorry.

Trinisphere you only check or care about after everything else is said and done. It's the final word of "You must spend at least 3 mana on casting spells."

Of course, all of this can be avoided if you just tap the sphere ;)

EDIT: Here is what I'm working with:

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Blight Herder
    4 Oblivion Sower
    2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Grim Monolith
    4 Warping Wail
    4 Trinisphere

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Wasteland
    2 Eye of Ugin
    3 Sea Gate Wreckage

//Sideboard
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Null Rod
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Void Winnower
    1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
    Last edited by shadowgripper; 01-24-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgripper View Post
    Trinisphere is easy to calculate, I'll teach you a simple rule: "You cannot avoid paying less than 3 mana for any spell you cast."

That's it. There's no way to cheat the system. Period. Play for free? Nope, you have to spend at least 3 mana. Cast from suspend? Doesn't matter spend 3 mana. Thalia + Wingmare + Heartless Summoning + all this other crap, are you spending at least 3 mana to cast it? No cheating, can't pay less sorry.

Trinisphere you only check or care about after everything else is said and done. It's the final word of "You must spend at least 3 mana on casting spells."
    Yet Tasigur still only costs one black mana and five cards from the graveyard.

Convoke gets around it too... In one case the cards in the graveyard "make" the mana and in the other the creatures do. It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    Yet Tasigur still only costs one black mana and five cards from the graveyard.

Convoke gets around it too... In one case the cards in the graveyard "make" the mana and in the other the creatures do. It's weird.
    That's because they're coded as an alternate way to pay mana, rather than actual mana reductions. Which is why casting a Tasigur for B under the 3Ball is possible.

I played a list in the classic event at StarCity Games Atlanta, I was 4-3, losing the last match cost me 9th place.

I think the eldrazi have a real chance in Legacy. I took a couple of bad lines early with the deck, becuase some of the interations are odd. My list was also not correct.

One card you should consider for the list is Deathrite Shaman. Even if you don't have fetches yourself, it still can use your opponents for ramp and then you have more things to process.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by gkraigher View Post
    One card you should consider for the list is Deathrite Shaman. Even if you don't have fetches yourself, it still can use your opponents for ramp and then you have more things to process.
    I think this is not the thread for this card, as the stompy list will probably not run any process cards, as there are just no synergies with the rest of the cards. Deathrite Shaman might fit into the black lists, but for a colorless list he is not very suitable.
    Chalice on 1

Quote Originally Posted by hofzge View Post
    ...as the stompy list will probably not run any process cards, as there are just no synergies with the rest of the cards.
    What? You can safely run maximum number of Blight Herders and be able to process with them without having to use cards like Relic of Progenitus. For example, in my list I have 4 Warping Wail, 4 Thought-Know Seer, and 4 Oblivion Sower. Yes, you can choose not to cast your herder before playing that sower in your hand, it does come up and it will make your herder that much stronger. That's 12 cards in my list that exile. Combine that with the chance of your opponent helping you out with their own DRS or FoW, and you're good to go. At the worst, you are playing a slightly overcosted Goyf (3 mana, 4/5), which still puts in work.

One thing to remember that is not intuitive -

you can use Delve to pay Trinisphere tax, which makes it "look" as if you are paying less than 3 mana for a spell just because most people don't automatically equate a Delve exiling to {1}.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

What? You can safely run maximum number of Blight Herders and be able to process with them without having to use cards like Relic of Progenitus. For example, in my list I have 4 Warping Wail, 4 Thought-Know Seer, and 4 Oblivion Sower. Yes, you can choose not to cast your herder before playing that sower in your hand, it does come up and it will make your herder that much stronger. That's 12 cards in my list that exile. Combine that with the chance of your opponent helping you out with their own DRS or FoW, and you're good to go. At the worst, you are playing a slightly overcosted Goyf (3 mana, 4/5), which still puts in work.
    That may be true, but this necessitates other things: as you exile lands and want to play them, you WILL play black, as fetchlands are worthless to a colorless build and you need lands you can fetch. Also you probably want Urborg, just in case.
    This makes a totally different deck - one that is close to the Modern base-black deck of Eldrazi that does in fact play all processors and now will get better exilers (albeit neither Seer nor Wail can exile land).

This discussion is not needed, as you talk about a different deck that plays at least 16-20 different cards from a colorless Stompy build.
    Chalice on 1

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Here is my List:

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Warping Wail (damn too good)
    2 Endbringer
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Simian Spirit Guide ( Better than Mox, you want always T1 Chalice or Trini)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Wasteland
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth ( Nice with eye)
    3 Lodestone Golem (I like the Golem still in this list because of his body:)

SB: 2 All Is Dust
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Mind Stone
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Warping Wail

Greets

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Pdingo and I have talked a lot about it and i really like his list with the exception of the Spirit Guides. I would play one less land if I were to play Spirit Guides instead of Mox Diamonds.

I would do this:

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    3x Eye of Ugin
    4x Wasteland
    1x Wastes

2x Warping Wail

3x Endbringer
    3x Lodestone Golem
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Trinisphere

Sideboard (15)

1x All Is Dust
    1x Cursed Totem
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Mind Stone
    1x Null Rod
    1x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Warping Wail

It's not even funny that over the years this many hateful artifacts have been printed. I think after Sideboard e.g. against most combo decks we should be setup up in an ok way (with the exception of Show and Tell - which is in a way naturally resistant to Trinisphere).
    Chalice on 1

Thread Information