Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

Soulless Eldrazi Player
    Aug 2015
    Special place in Hell

Re: [DECK] Eldrazi Stompy

I saw this deck last night, and it seems really sweet. It's like MUD but a little lower to the ground, a little more aggressive, a little more disruptive.

One thing though, the guy I saw playing it just scooped to Blood Moon. Considering how weak this deck is to that card in particular, is it possible some maindeck or sideboard slots should be dedicated to something like Oblivion Stone or Ratchet Bomb?

Edit: I saw some people thinking Talismans might be the answer. If you want 2cc mana rocks and you don't need the colored mana, why not Mind Stone or Grim Monolith?
    Roses are colorless.
    Violets are colorless.
    Everything is nothing.

Idk why you would scoop to blood moon. You can still cast all but twelve cards (seer, smasher, wail). Casting a Blight Herder and/or Grim Monolith gives access to colorless. Sower will also properly ramp mana since fetches become Mountains.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Besides the W-Build with Stoneforge and (more important) Eldrazi Displacer, i still test the "colorless" Stompy Shell.

Currently i run with:

Land (24)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    3x Cavern of Souls
    4x Cloudpost
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    2x Eye of Ugin
    4x Glimmerpost
    2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Vesuva

Sorcery (3)
    3x All Is Dust

Creature (21)
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    3x Endless One
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Endbringer

Instant (4)
    4x Warping Wail

Artifact (9)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Trinisphere
    2x Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard (15)
    3x Ratchet Bomb
    3x Faerie Macabre
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Duplicant
    2x Maze of Ith
    2x Wastes

It covers most meta choices/decks around and stuff like "GG vs Moon". Finally moved away from Mimic, because i liked Revokers at Main (it is also a fast Creature for turn 1-2), togther with Jitte, Endless One and Reshaper you have enough stuff if the mana matters (Wastelands etc.).
    Last edited by MD.Ghost; 01-29-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Hei Guys

I updated my list:

Now i cut the urborg because eye+ urborb don't work most of time.
    Also important i cut a Eye. 3 eyes are to much i think.
    I added 1 elvish spirit guide for more speed.

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Endbringer
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Eye of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Wasteland
    3 Lodestone Golem
    1 Wastes
    1 Elvish Spirit Guide

SB: 2 All Is Dust
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Mind Stone
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Warping Wail

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Pdingo View Post
    Now i cut the urborg because eye+ urborb don't work most of time.
    @Pdingo: Seems you build a really "All in" deck - sure speed matters a lot, but you will also get a lot of worst topdecks.

Your number of Eye of Ugin feels right, 2 is enough, because you only want 1 in play and it is still not so good as Eldrazi Temple, because you can't spam dudes under a trinisphere and Eye will not produce any mana...this is the reason i still think Urborg is right as additional support. Urborg + Eye = 4 Mana and the other good news are, that Ancient Tomb can be used as a swamp to reduce the huge amount of life lose over a game.

--------

After a lot of test runs yesterday i also made a couple of changes (see build above).

+1 All is Dust Main, as i mentioned before, Spell is bonkers with all the Eldrazi Lands, 3 is the right number to draw it often enough if needed
    -1 Kozilek, liked the idea to tutor a huge titan with Eye of Ugin, but in reality every big eldrazi will decline our starting hands and will be a worst topdeck most of the time, especially if your opponent uses manadenial. If you can cast him it feels like win more, if i can tutor (which means a lot of mana) with Eye of Ugin i can simply play very big Endless Ones, hasty Smashers or Endbringers etc.

Side:
    +3 Ratchet Bomb
    -3 Portal, both can be slow and Portals-Draw might be better vs Control, but afterall the bomb feels faster and more flexible. Together with 2 Wastes from Side, the Bomb should also cover the "Moon case".
    +2 Maze of Ith
    -3 Tsabos Web (don't see enough land.decs currently and Maze will help a lot vs aggressive decks (Delver, Infect, etc.) and it will profit from Urborg too!
    -1 Kozilek (see above, simply win more OR uncastble most of the time)
    +2 Duplicant (this one is under observation, the reason behind him is, that you have a usefull - and sometimes uncounterable - option vs Show&Tell, 12Post, Eldrazi, MUD etc - which means all the decks that also want to go over the top - and can/will outclass our "midrange" Creatures). If he doesn't find enough targets/matchups, i can see a pair of Dismember here with access to Urborg.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

So, a friend of mine played a version of this deck last night at our LGS legacy weekly and crushed face going 5-0. He faced nothing but real decks (shardless, miracles, storm, lands, grixis control).

I'm curious to learn a bit more about this deck. I particular I'd like to know how this compares to MUD. Looking at the decklist it looks a lot like MUD but with Eldrazi midrange-value-aggro beaters instead of big robot bombs. But revolving around the turn-1 chalice or another disruptive peace.

First, is this a fair evalution? That this plays the early game a lot like MUD and fundamentally relies on the same kind of bomb-y early game disruption as MUD does? And secondly, if yes, is this deck then better at performing through the pitfalls of inconsistency that keep MUD from being tier 1?

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    So, a friend of mine played a version of this deck last night at our LGS legacy weekly and crushed face going 5-0. He faced nothing but real decks (shardless, miracles, storm, lands, grixis control).

I'm curious to learn a bit more about this deck. I particular I'd like to know how this compares to MUD. Looking at the decklist it looks a lot like MUD but with Eldrazi midrange-value-aggro beaters instead of big robot bombs. But revolving around the turn-1 chalice or another disruptive peace.

First, is this a fair evalution? That this plays the early game a lot like MUD and fundamentally relies on the same kind of bomb-y early game disruption as MUD does? And secondly, if yes, is this deck then better at performing through the pitfalls of inconsistency that keep MUD from being tier 1?
    I think the evaluation is fair, but i think the central point is: This deck gets 14-15 actual Sol Lands with Eye and Temple. This in my view is the main difference. playing MUD you have to play a lot of suboptimal cards like Grim Monolith, Metalworker, Postmanabase to just produce mana as explosively as possible and then to get profit you a lot of expensive threats. This leaves you with a deck that is 50% mana and 50% bombs and that is very fragile.

The Eldrazi deck mitigates this weakness by playing way more aggresively and having an all-untapped-lands manabase to disrupt and then play undercosted threats (if I told you there was a 4/4 creature with Thoughtseize stapled to it for 2 Mana you would call me crazy).
    Having less bad draws late game (with the exception of the lockpieces) makes the deck compete on eye level with MUD while avoiding some of MUDs inconsistencies.

MUD = more powerful / more disruptable
    Eldrazi Stompy = faster / less variance / less disruptible with the exception of Blood Moon
    Chalice on 1

bruizar

What's the optimum number of Eye of Ugins? I need to know how much I need to purchase and since I'm going to try out the expeditions I don't want to buy more than I'll use.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think 3. That is what I use in Modern and it is what I would use here too. Having more than one of them in a game where you are not getting Wasted is just dead cards. You can not tap it for mana, you can not do anything with the others you draw.

I am looking at a build with 4x Wasteland, 4x City, 4x Tomb, 4x Temple, 3x Eye, 4x Crystal Vein and a Wastes. Just push the Mana to the limits and see what I can make work. Should be a fun test.
    This gives me 19 Sol Lands. Granted a lot of them have limited life spans.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

I think about 2.5 - Buy 2 or 3 as you like. It has a lot of bad synergies with all artifacts in the deck, but also increases the chance of turn 2 Seer which is one of the best plays of the deck.

I personally would now probably play 2.
    Chalice on 1

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post

Yeah I was one of the ones receiving chrushing by eldrazi.
    Alot of Tier1s have a hard time with this deck. Its dirty, blazing fast and curves out very aggressively while still packing blowout lock pieces like chalice and sphere.
    With, decays , bolts as prime remonval, this deck feeds og midrangey decks like nothinf, and each threat are insane to deal with.
    Was thoroughly impressed with it!

Mar 2013

I am goldfishing this right now and I am finding it to my liking. It is mostly hofzge's list straight stolen and slightly modfied. I think I want to test Thorns in the place of the 3Sphere though as it does not conflict with Eye and is far easier with this mana setup to drop turn one. Will see what comes up.

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Crystal Vein
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    3x Eye of Ugin
    4x Wasteland
    1x Wastes

2x Warping Wail

3x Endbringer
    3x Lodestone Golem
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Grim Monolith
    4x Trinisphere
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

How are the matter reshapers? Are they just filler or do they actually serve the deck well? Same question for Endbringers.

Mar 2013

Reshapers help when they flip Lands most of all, helping you accelerate at a good clip. As for the Endbringers, well drawing 3 cards per "turn" is useful.

Just came across something. The speed that you can get Eye active with Monoliths is nuts. I think if you want to play Mana rocks, it is the best choice.

Reshapers help when they flip Lands most of all, helping you accelerate at a good clip. As for the Endbringers, well drawing 3 cards per "turn" is useful.

Just came across something. The speed that you can get Eye active with Monoliths is nuts. I think if you want to play Mana rocks, it is the best choice.
    But why bother with the vanilla 3/2 for 3 in the meantime? That's my problem with this card - it's translating 3 mana into maybe another card in hand or in play without doing much in between to justify the delay. Seems like Mind Stone might be even better than this.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I think you are plum nuts to not have at least one Urborg in your 60. Eye of Ugin and Ancient Tomb both want to masquerade as swamps from time to time. Has it really not earned a spot?
    I am goldfishing this right now and I am finding it to my liking. It is mostly hofzge's list straight stolen and slightly modfied. I think I want to test Thorns in the place of the 3Sphere though as it does not conflict with Eye and is far easier with this mana setup to drop turn one. Will see what comes up.

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Crystal Vein
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    3x Eye of Ugin
    4x Wasteland
    1x Wastes

2x Warping Wail

3x Endbringer
    3x Lodestone Golem
    4x Matter Reshaper
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Grim Monolith
    4x Trinisphere
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I think you are plum nuts to not have at least one Urborg in your 60. Eye of Ugin and Ancient Tomb both want to masquerade as swamps from time to time. Has it really not earned a spot?
    See my list above, you are right Urborg should be in the mix for Eye and Tombs (and in my case Sideboard Mazes)
    TEAM MtG Berlin

I'm still curious why people play with Mimic, Reshaper, and Endbringer. Those do not seem impressive at all. Herder, Seer, Smasher, Sower are the 16 best creatures. Sower always blocks goyf. Seer is the best card. Smasher is too hard to kill. And Herder is so impressive that I search for that card with Eye of Ugin more than any other creature. Yes I play Ulamogs, but herder is just so stupid good.

Mimic is gimmicky. I'd rather play real creatures. Each card in our 60 should be self-sufficient and hold it's own.
    Reshaper is a 3/2 that doesn't always work; it doesn't do anything spectacular. It does not present a fast clock, nor does it influence their board state. Herder is always a 4/5 and likely bigger.
    Endbringer is clunky as it does not have haste. Sower is much better as it provides value regardless of FoW, gives exile food, and sometimes helps us reach Eye of Ugin mana.

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Blight Herder
    4 Oblivion Sower
    2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Grim Monolith
    4 Warping Wail
    4 Trinisphere

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Sea Gate Wreckage
    2 Wasteland
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Eye of Ugin

//Sideboard
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Null Rod
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 All Is Dust
    1 Void Winnower
    1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion

My take on Eldrazi Stompy, a little more prison oriented than most of the versions I've seen posted already.

Lands (25)
    4x [ancient tomb]
    4x [city of traitors]
    4x [eldrazi temple]
    4x [wasteland]
    4x [ghost quarter]
    2x [eye of ugin]
    2x [urborg, tomb of yawgmoth]
    1x [seagate wreckage]

Creatures (20)
    4x [thought-knot seer]
    4x [reality smasher]
    4x [lodestone golem]
    4x [matter reshaper]
    4x [phyrexian revoker]

Hate (15)
    4x [chalice of the void]
    4x [trinisphere]
    4x [mox diamond]
    3x [crucible of worlds]

Sideboard (15)
    4x [thorn of amethyst]
    3x [winter orb]
    4x [leyline of the void]
    2x [warping wail]
    2x [wastes]

@Wild_Island_Appeared How much testing have you done with this list? I originally tried Lodestone Golem but quickly took him out. He hurts your ability to cast all of your eldrazi and warping wails. We have less prison elements than most prison decks. I would think casting the four prime creatures is not exactly a "prison strategy" as much as a stompy strat (with disruption).

Thread Information