Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Denver Legacy

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Re: Denver Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by shocked439 View Post

I'm all for not supporting GH as much as I used to. Their new policies are not as inviting as they used to be and my loyalty lies in a few other stores that GH has not been a friendly competitor with.
    What do they do? Having a policy against free-rolling isn't bad, a store has to have cash coming in to keep the lights on.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    What do they do? Having a policy against free-rolling isn't bad, a store has to have cash coming in to keep the lights on.
    There was a lot of drama between them and I Want More Comics. IWMC basically accused them of running tournaments at a loss and purposefully scheduling events to overlap those of nearby stores to steal business. Apparently the owner outright admitted this to the owner of IWMC.

Shitty I guess, but that's just business I suppose. I haven't actually been to GH yet, but I haven't heard anything negative from people that play there fairly regularly.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I actually like GH a lot, and they have good prices on singles usually too. The crowd that plays there are generally pretty good people - both in skill as well as in not assholes. I just have a hard time with the half hour or so drive there to not be able to spend my credit on entry. I don't need singles... I just want to play.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

What about "Ancient"? No power, old-bordered sets only. I've been talking about something like this since they announced Modern!

http://ancientmtg.blogspot.ca/
    I would likely play this if there was ever any kind of support for it. Looks interesting at least.

EDIT: Looked at a bunch of those decklists, this format looks super sick.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Well yesterday's event got 11 which is pretty good for down here. I will be creating a facebook group for this event, will update once it's up.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Well yesterday's event got 11 which is pretty good for down here. I will be creating a facebook group for this event, will update once it's up.
    Yeah that was pretty good, we had some people new to legacy too which is cool. If I remember correctly we had:

Miracles
    2x Shardless
    Dredge
    RUG Delver
    BUG Delver
    UR Delver
    Storm
    MUD
    Reanimator
    Elves

Pretty diverse decks, I know my deck improved within 10 minutes of getting home, looking forward to next week.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

If it keep snowing like this I won't be able to drive out to Parker this week.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

If it keep snowing like this I won't be able to drive out to Parker this week.
    Yeah it's not looking good for tonight. Conditions aren't too bad now but they will likely be awful by the time the event ends.
    Lord of the Chalice

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

Yeah it's not looking good for tonight. Conditions aren't too bad now but they will likely be awful by the time the event ends.
    Snow isn't too bad on the north end of town. Gamers Guild is still having their event according to the posts in the boulder legacy facebook page.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Got 8 last night, metagame breakdown was 2x Storm, 1x Reanimator, 1x Dredge, 1x RUG Delver, 1x BUG Delver, 1x Merfolk, 1x LOLDRAZI Stompy. Storm took it down.
    Lord of the Chalice

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Got 8 last night, metagame breakdown was 2x Storm, 1x Reanimator, 1x Dredge, 1x RUG Delver, 1x BUG Delver, 1x Merfolk, 1x LOLDRAZI Stompy. Storm took it down.
    We didn't think it was going to fire and then boom 5 people show up at 7. I think as long as we consistently fire it will get people to come. I thought there was an elves deck last night?

Also is there the monthly legacy FNM at I want more comics this week? second friday right?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

We didn't think it was going to fire and then boom 5 people show up at 7. I think as long as we consistently fire it will get people to come. I thought there was an elves deck last night?

Also is there the monthly legacy FNM at I want more comics this week? second friday right?
    I think the Elves deck was involved in playtesting not the actual event, but I could be wrong. Yeah, I think the IWMC event is this Friday, although I haven't been able to make one of those events in many months so I'm not 100% sure.
    Lord of the Chalice

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

I think the Elves deck was involved in playtesting not the actual event, but I could be wrong. Yeah, I think the IWMC event is this Friday, although I haven't been able to make one of those events in many months so I'm not 100% sure.
    It is this Friday, fires around 6:30 if you're close to on time give them a call and they can usually stall for a couple minutes, great thing about the legacy crowd is they just want to play legacy they're pretty chill.

We had a great showing of 20 people at last Friday's FNM at I want more Comics. This was a great number, and it was with several regulars not in attendance. I think we are seeing another uptick in Legacy right now since people are leaving Modern, and I expect we'll see even more interest with the upcoming Eternal Masters. I'd like to propose that we harness this growth and attempt to get Sundays at IWMC going again! I'm sure there are many like me, who work weekdays, who have a family, and don't feel like schlepping around town after a workday to play cards until late in the evening. The weekends are a solution to this problem, especially with football season over. IWMC is a somewhat centralized location (Northglenn), and it's close to I-25. I'll talk with the owners, and maybe after lots of arm pulling I can get him to post something on the goddamn facebook page.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by hobart View Post
    We had a great showing of 20 people at last Friday's FNM at I want more Comics. This was a great number, and it was with several regulars not in attendance. I think we are seeing another uptick in Legacy right now since people are leaving Modern, and I expect we'll see even more interest with the upcoming Eternal Masters. I'd like to propose that we harness this growth and attempt to get Sundays at IWMC going again! I'm sure there are many like me, who work weekdays, who have a family, and don't feel like schlepping around town after a workday to play cards until late in the evening. The weekends are a solution to this problem, especially with football season over. IWMC is a somewhat centralized location (Northglenn), and it's close to I-25. I'll talk with the owners, and maybe after lots of arm pulling I can get him to post something on the goddamn facebook page.
    Save yourself the trouble and just post it for them if you want to see anything more than 4 hours before the event.

Also FWIW Black Gold is still sanctioning Legacy every Sunday. Now that football season is over there's a good chance we could put together enough folks to make that fire. It's quite a bit further south and not really close to an interstate though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jun 2015
    Broomfield, CO

Gamer's Guild tonight and every Monday. Come and get your legacy on in boulder!

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by hobart View Post
    I'm pretty much out for weekend days for weekly legacy events these days. maybe every once in a while... but my weekends are too valuable.

personally, i'd rather see them see if they could try to run the larger legacy events like an IQ or something like they did a couple years ago. The first one of those we had almost 70 people.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    I'm pretty much out for weekend days for weekly legacy events these days. maybe every once in a while... but my weekends are too valuable.

personally, i'd rather see them see if they could try to run the larger legacy events like an IQ or something like they did a couple years ago. The first one of those we had almost 70 people.
    +1 for regular big events. I'm not even sure they need to be associated with SCG or any other big body to be successful, although Keith seemed to think it was important. It also meant that they had to get over 50 players to break even, and the last couple were either under that or just barely over. I would be down for just a quarterly event for store credit at $20+ entry. I thought the guy at Mirage games said he was going to do exactly that, but I'm not sure what happened there.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

+1 for regular big events. I'm not even sure they need to be associated with SCG or any other big body to be successful, although Keith seemed to think it was important. It also meant that they had to get over 50 players to break even, and the last couple were either under that or just barely over. I would be down for just a quarterly event for store credit at $20+ entry. I thought the guy at Mirage games said he was going to do exactly that, but I'm not sure what happened there.
    A big event would do wonders. We just now have had a consistent weekly (4 or 5 in a row) which is great, with the EMA announcement and everyone getting sick of Eldrazi in Modern (although I think Eldrazi is good in Legacy, it will never be even 20% of the field) there is a lot of buzz around Legacy, now might be the time to run such an event.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Facebook group is up - East Denver Legacy. I will be sending out invites for the weeklies and will update on any potential big events in the future (will have to talk to the store).
    Lord of the Chalice

Thread Information