Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Denver Legacy

Re: Denver Legacy

I'm glad I saw this thread - I am also an Eternal player in Littleton looking for a fix!

I've chatted with the owner of the new Littleton location of Enchanted Grounds, and he'd be completely up for hosting tournaments if there is interest. That would mean us Southsiders would not have to haul all the way up to IWMC during rush hour to play. I was thinking Vintage -- no one seems to do weekly Vintage since Carl sold Black Gold -- but Legacy is fine, too.

If you guys want a supplementary south side location, let's exchange e-mail address and see if we can get something down here to fire on a regular basis. I miss my weekly eternal. :(

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I'm glad I saw this thread - I am also an Eternal player in Littleton looking for a fix!

I've chatted with the owner of the new Littleton location of Enchanted Grounds, and he'd be completely up for hosting tournaments if there is interest. That would mean us Southsiders would not have to haul all the way up to IWMC during rush hour to play. I was thinking Vintage -- no one seems to do weekly Vintage since Carl sold Black Gold -- but Legacy is fine, too.

If you guys want a supplementary south side location, let's exchange e-mail address and see if we can get something down here to fire on a regular basis. I miss my weekly eternal. :(
    The problem for me (and most of us on the East side of town) is it takes me nearly as long to get to Littleton in rush hour as it does to get to IWMC. E470 westbound is a parking lot from 3:00 onwards. As a result anything west of I-25 is going to be weekend only for me.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Travel along Belleview or Lincoln is usually faster if you're going Westbound at rush hour, but if you're coming from Aurora, I hear ya. You can always go to Four C's and play YuGiOh ;)

How many peeps who play eternal locally are in Lakewood/Littleton area?

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Travel along Belleview or Lincoln is usually faster if you're going Westbound at rush hour, but if you're coming from Aurora, I hear ya. You can always go to Four C's and play YuGiOh ;)

I work in downtown Littleton and make the trek to Parker on Mondays, Arapahoe Road isn't too bad.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I'm in Eastern Centennial which is arguably worse than Aurora due to lack of proximity to I-225. Nah, I play Legacy at Collectormania and Modern at DCG. Haven't been over to All C's in a while.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I'm in Eastern Centennial which is arguably worse than Aurora due to lack of proximity to I-225. Nah, I play Legacy at Collectormania and Modern at DCG. Haven't been over to All C's in a while.
    East Centennial? Like, halfway to Parker? That is really far out there.

I really miss Carl :(

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

East Centennial? Like, halfway to Parker? That is really far out there.

I really miss Carl :(
    North of Parker but farther east. You know where Southlands mall is? Out there. Basically the only stores that are reachable to me on weekdays are ones in Aurora (All C's, DCG) or Parker (Collectormania). There is no store in Centennial that I'm aware of.
    Lord of the Chalice

Ah, you got seduced by the promise of big, newly constructed townhomes or massive single family dwellings on the plains, eh?

It would be sweet if something consistent can be set up that's more middle of the week, I know myself and other players stuck in Fort Collins would love to come down and play some legacy against a more robust metagame (I swear our meta is a complete shit-show with 2 Death and Taxes, 2 Elves, Miracles, Slivers, Turbo-marit lage, and Tezz/Mud/Stompy variants), it gets really old and sideboards become hilariously awful.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    It would be sweet if something consistent can be set up that's more middle of the week, I know myself and other players stuck in Fort Collins would love to come down and play some legacy against a more robust metagame (I swear our meta is a complete shit-show with 2 Death and Taxes, 2 Elves, Miracles, Slivers, Turbo-marit lage, and Tezz/Mud/Stompy variants), it gets really old and sideboards become hilariously awful.
    By middle of the week do you mean weekend? Or is it actually convenient for you guys to drive up on a Wednesday/Thursday?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

It varies, I know Tuesday-Thursday nothing happens around here, Saturday people are always playing in some kind of GPT/IQ/PPTQ, but Sunday is usually pretty dry outside of the occasional Sunday IQ. I just know Mondays and Fridays people would rather just go to Gryphon's because we can fire Legacy pretty reliably, or be content with playing modern since only a couple of people decided to build the Eldrazi menace.

And as far as driving up in the middle of the week I know a lot of people have days off in the middle of the week or get off early enough to drive down to Denver and avoid the worst of I-25 traffic. Hell I know people are willing to go up to Larimie once or twice a month to play Legacy up there on Tuesdays.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

We should see if IKEA can register as a TO. They're right off the interstate, have plenty of seating, and I'm always down to snack on some pickled herring.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    We should see if IKEA can register as a TO. They're right off the interstate, have plenty of seating, and I'm always down to snack on some pickled herring.
    I would totally play magic at IKEA. Swedish meatballs = win.
    Lord of the Chalice

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

I do need to pick up some bedding, and maybe some kind of container.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    I do need to pick up some bedding, and maybe some kind of container.
    Oh god.

I'd play Magic at IKEA. Once, for the novelty. Remember, though, that playing there is almost like playing in a high school lunch room - lots of strangers coming by to drop meatballs on your dual lands.

Isn't there a store or bar or cigar room somewhere in that area that would be better suited? Tech center is a great location...

If we had Magic at Ikea my wife would want to come down just to shop and eat meatballs. That being said, isn't Black Gold like right around the corner from there? They occasionally do Legacy events.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    I'm pretty much out for weekend days for weekly legacy events these days. maybe every once in a while... but my weekends are too valuable.

personally, i'd rather see them see if they could try to run the larger legacy events like an IQ or something like they did a couple years ago. The first one of those we had almost 70 people.
    Yes, big events! $20 entry fee (or more). No need to be affiliated with SCG. Maybe throw in a bonus card with the prize pool to make it juicy. Have it on a Sunday. People will show up.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by hobart View Post
    If we had Magic at Ikea my wife would want to come down just to shop and eat meatballs. That being said, isn't Black Gold like right around the corner from there? They occasionally do Legacy events.
    Black Gold is a solid 20 minutes from there and that's assuming no traffic. Ikea is right on I25 so it's pretty centrally located whereas Black Gold is quite far west (Wadsworth).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by hobart View Post
    They do, but it's a far cry from what it used to be. Carl did sanctioned Vintage weekly, which was AWESOME. The new owner changed that to Legacy, and then to Modern. Legacy still fires there sometimes, from what I understand, but not weekly anymore.

I've been trying to get a weekly sanctioned Vintage revived for some time, now. Advantages include:

1. Sanctioning prevents people from netdecking because very few are fully powered;
    2. Vintage archetypes are fun as balls even without power; and
    3. Rogue decks are amazing and show up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Black Gold is a solid 20 minutes from there and that's assuming no traffic. Ikea is right on I25 so it's pretty centrally located whereas Black Gold is quite far west (Wadsworth).
    That too, but for us in Littleton Black Gold was awesome.

I'm having trouble keeping track; how many South side players versus Littleton players are on here?

Feb 2016
    Denver

Glad I found this thread! I'm just getting back into paper magic after a few years online and I'd been looking for some place to play legacy. I live in southeast Denver, so Collectormania looks like a bit of a hike, but at least it's pretty much straight down Parker road from me and closer than Gamer's Guild (I work downtown). Are events regularly firing on Monday nights?

Thread Information