Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Re: Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I keep hearing this, but what is the legal theory behind this mythological lawsuit? I mean, I am going to assume that a percentage of legacy players on these boards are actual attorneys when I ask . . . how would you even argue this? The reserved list is an implied contract that the collectors relied on as investors? Would that even have a chance of holding up?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Yes re a contract.

Holding up in court? Sure, your lawyer against a corporation's lawyers on a matter of pure financial speculation (ie, no moral upper-ground as in tobacco law suits). It would remind me of the Simpson's lawyer.
    Disagree. The RL (I believe it even states as such on the RL page) is a company policy and as such WOTC can do what they like with it.

Even if we entertain the notion that the Reserved List is not a company policy and is somehow a contract (takes a bit of mental gymnastics, but just go with it), I have a hard time believing that any of the elements required for a contract to be made between WOTC and an individual are present when that person/business buys a Tropical Island, if the contract is 'we won't reprint these cards.' Nowhere on the "Official Reprint Policy" does it say anything about 'your money is safe.' It just says 'to maintain your confidence in the game as a collectible'
    It doesn't say anything about your money/secondary market, and blah blah blah, you get where I'm going with this. It's hard to write much more because I'm on my phone but I hope I've been clear enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    For those not in the know. Here's how you steal cards from innocent people:

(1) Look for cheap, preferably old cards on want lists
    (2) Identify which card is cheap and in low enough supply that you can temporarily buy out the major sites that are being crawled by mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites
    (3) Buy them up
    (4) Relist them for $1000,-
    (5) Let Pucatrade, mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites adjust its market-rate to your newly forged pump-n-dump
    (6) Start sending out the crap card on Pucatrade to people who have it on their want list and are probably unaware of wth just happened
    (7) Use your pucapoints to buy legit cards instead of MTG pennystocks.

---

When the dust settles, you f*ck a few people over, and the price starts plummeting. Magic being Magic, it never fully plummets so the price gain still sticks and you at least get a 400% gain on your leftovers.
    This sounds absolutely terrifying and bad for the game.

IIRC, is Pucatrade even sustainable in the long run? From what I hear, the system is going to crash sooner or later since it's a pyramid scheme relying on new people to buy into this bullshit.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The issues with the RL is this. Sadly I don't know where the shoe lands if this was to become an issue, maybe one day I will find out.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

IIRC, is Pucatrade even sustainable in the long run? From what I hear, the system is going to crash sooner or later since it's a pyramid scheme relying on new people to buy into this bullshit.
    I hope Pucatrade gets ddos'ed or something terrible happens so that it disappears. It's very unhealthy to the game. The problem is that the effects ripple through the rest of the market. Fear and greed drives markets and this is very true for magic. Prices on SCG, TCGplayer, MCM and all other notable sites copy each other even if the pump up penny stock has long been abandoned. The inflated prices left in the wake of the pump n dump remain forever like scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

The problem with pucatrade is that you can't 'get out'.

You get points by either buying them with real money or trading your cards to people for an amount of points that is set by the site(see above for how dodgy that is).

You can get cards by spending your points.

You can't convert your points back to cash.

In reality you end up with a ton of points and the only way to do anything is to trade for cards. Now you can only 'ask' for cards so even having 100 million points will not get you that black lotus if nobody is willing to trade it to you.

So there you sit with a 'wants' list that isn't going to be fulfilled and a balance of 'points' that mean nothing outside of pucatrade and can't be turned into what you want.

I know, I thought it was a good idea until I used it for a while.

Let's wait until we have more than some random person online with an MS-Paint manipulated picture of Modern Masters before we deplete brain cells thinking about what WotC is doing.

There's already a thread for reserve-list free Legacy, isn't there? That's where the discussion should happen.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul7926 View Post

You get points by either buying them with real money or trading your cards to people for an amount of points that is set by the site(see above for how dodgy that is).

In reality you end up with a ton of points and the only way to do anything is to trade for cards. Now you can only 'ask' for cards so even having 100 million points will not get you that black lotus if nobody is willing to trade it to you.

So there you sit with a 'wants' list that isn't going to be fulfilled and a balance of 'points' that mean nothing outside of pucatrade and can't be turned into what you want.

or you know, how the pucatrade team can simply generate a few extra puca points on their own accounts and pay their people with cards. (or steal cards themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    or you know, how the pucatrade team can simply generate a few extra puca points on their own accounts and pay their people with cards. (or steal cards themselves)
    This just in: every new currency that gets developed has to re-invent the wheel when it comes to stopping Ponzi schemes, pyramid schemes, and market manipulation.

Good speed, Pucapoints.

EDIT: Funny thing is, if you did link Pucapoints to cash and then used an auction system, the thing would work fine. Particularly as a way to seemlessly convert between MTGO and physical cards. But that's not how it works so LOL

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I don't take too much stock in rumors of an Eternal set on the internet.

I do take stock in what is happening at the dealer tables at Grand Prixes.

Has anyone noticed the lack of non-Reserve List Legacy staples being purchased?
    Wonder why that is?

(Rhetorically: why does SCG have fewer Legacy events in the first half of this year compared to prior years?)

EDIT: ruleslawyers (see below)
    Last edited by Koby; 01-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Has anyone noticed the lack of non-Reserve List Legacy staples not being purchased?
    Wonder why that is?
    What?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I don't believe that there is enough daylight between Modern and Legacy for another format. Nor do I see a need in the community for such an animal. Wizards are clearly having fun manipulating Modern. What purpose would this competing format serve?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I don't believe that there is enough daylight between Modern and Legacy for another format. Nor do I see a need in the community for such an animal. Wizards are clearly having fun manipulating Modern. What purpose would this competing format serve?
    I think the point is that Legacy would stop being a format... and Eternal (or whatever....) would start being an format... Think Extended -> Modern...

I also don't buy any of this...

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    A format with Pod, Twin and Bloom plus caveat that "eternal cards" from future sets can be included (Council's Judgement, True-Name) - that would be hilarious

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

The issues with the RL is this. Sadly I don't know where the shoe lands if this was to become an issue, maybe one day I will find out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a company wants to make money of their OWN product, you can just 'estoppel' them based on the fact they once said to never reprint certain cards?
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul7926 View Post

Oh gosh... I had no idea how awful PucaTrade actually is... it seems like a really bad idea wrapped up in a nice looking package.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a company wants to make money of their OWN product, you can just 'estoppel' them based on the fact they once said to never reprint certain cards?
    Pretty sure the argument will be implied contract. People may argue that when they purchased cards, they purchased on the reliance that the cards will go up in price given Wizards policy - and that wizards put up that policy with the expectation that people will purchase cards with that said reliance. Those expectations and actions create a contract even though that the contract wasn't written down. Implied contracts can be just as enforceable as ones written down. By getting rid of that policy wizards breaches the contract and the damages would be for those whose cards were devalued to seek money to recoup on their loss.

Not saying that I buy that argument - but that's the only one I can see that seems plausible.

Pretty sure the argument will be implied contract. People may argue that when they purchased cards, they purchased on the reliance that the cards will go up in price given Wizards policy - and that wizards put up that policy with the expectation that people will purchase cards with that said reliance. Those expectations and actions create a contract even though that the contract wasn't written down. Implied contracts can be just as enforceable as ones written down. By getting rid of that policy wizards breaches the contract and the damages would be for those whose cards were devalued to seek money to recoup on their loss.

Not saying that I buy that argument - but that's the only one I can see that seems plausible.
    Well, the term "implied contract" gets into that muddy quasi-contract quasi-tort area, but basically I think the claim is promissory or equitable estoppel. You made a promise, I relied to my detriment, and equity requires you to keep your word.

Dunno how that would go (reprints so far havn't done much to curb prices) but I guess they figure, "Why bother?"

Remember, they can always just print Snow Duals if they really wanted to. Reserve list is a red herring.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Although I would be excited to see this come out, and makes the most sense for wizards- my main argument against this is that there is no 'mystery' grand prix spot on the schedule.

If this set was going to happen I would assume they would have a grand prix draft thing like modern masters, because it would arguably bring in just as much volume for attendance if not more as a draft/limited set.
    I dont think the set would be aimed specifically for legacy, it would have staples from EDH and Vintage as well to make draft more interesting and feed all eternal formats card pool. Also eternal formats would see new cards as we did from conspiracy, which would be a win. Also Modern would get some reprints through this as well I would assume. I definitly do not see this idea ironing out to be some sort of legacy reprint set.

Maro has confirmed there will not be another conspiracy set this summer. I am just praying its not some stupid fucking unhinged carnival unset shit, which is actually what I believe we will probably be seeing this summer unfortunately. I hope I am wrong.
    Tusk Up

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

People may argue that when they purchased cards, they purchased on the reliance that the cards will go up in price given Wizards policy - and that wizards put up that policy with the expectation that people will purchase cards with that said reliance.
    IANAL, but I do not believe anyone can claim the cards were purchased "on the reliance the cards will go up in price", only that they were purchased because they will not lose value due to reprints. The market will do what it does (whether that is drive prices up or down) and a customer buying cards off the reserved list with the RL policy in mind would be incorrect to think they could recover money from Wizards if the value of their cards plummets for reasons other than reprints.

Thread Information