Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...ernal_masters/

This has been going around the web for a day now. Obviously would have huge ramifications for Legacy. Discuss.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post

This has been going around the web for a day now. Obviously would have huge ramifications for Legacy. Discuss.
    Thanks for bringing this to the board. Would be amazing to see reprints of FoW, Daze and shit for Legacy Players
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I've been thinking something like this would be a no-brainer for Wizards as it would be tantamount to printing money.

The arguments I've heard against it, however, are:

1: if all chase-rares in Legacy, not on the reserved list, were reprinted it would drive the reserved list staple cards' prices through the roof. Think 1000$ Volcanics etc. this would make for an unsustainable format of haves and have nots.

2: they see Legacy as an unsustainable format in the long run due to the reserved list. So while printing something like Eternal Masters might generate huge profits in the short term, in the long run it will remove focus from Modern which is a more sustainable long term cash cow.

A set targeted at Eternal formats doesn't necessarily have to be entirely reprints and could include new cards (a la Planechase/Commander/Conspiracy) that could filter right into Legacy/Vintage.

More than anything else, this would probably be the most interesting aspect of a hypothetical "Eternal Masters" set, where any all valuable reprints will be Mythics in $10 MSRP packs (look at how much that changed Goyf's price).

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post

I'm incredibly skeptical about this. While I think it's entirely possible that WOTC might consider an Eternal Masters set, the rumor currently originates from one person who I consider to have no credibility whatsoever. In fact, even if an Eternal Masters fall set is announced during the Pro Tour, I would be more inclined to consider this person got lucky with a prediction than that he actually had some legitimate insider knowledge.

Consider the following:

1) He claims he has insider knowledge because he overheard some vendors at GP Oakland, and it's doubtful that these vendors would know anything about scheduled releases.
    2) His first post on this temporary account seems like a wild rumor he throws out there with nothing to back it up, because that's in fact what it is.
    3) He makes a post later in which he predicts that Amulet and Twin are getting banned. In that same post, he mentions the Eternal Masters fall set once again. It seems to me that he's very intent on promoting this rumor for some reason, but without any credibility, no one will take him seriously. Since he has no reputation to lose, he throws out two potential Modern bans in hopes that he's correct.

There are a few problems with this:
    - Modern cards are seemingly always banned, and even as someone who doesn't follow the format, it was absolutely clear that something from the Amulet Bloom deck was going to get banned. Plus he called the wrong card.
    - If his insider knowledge comes from overhearing a conversation between vendors (who somehow had information about the fall set), that would presumably be the same source of his information on the B&R update. But vendors wouldn't have that information. His claim would be much more believable if he stated that he were a WOTC insider, as Eldrazi Spy did when he brought attention to the Overextended format.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Information is poor on this, it could be anything from what he claims to something like Conspiracy take 2. Not that I would bitch about either but right now I am not holding my breath and I am not selling my cards.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

the most unsettling would be if the part II. of the video would become true - new format, which would result into my interest in Mtg dying away with Legacy, a sort of tragedy or a relief - I have no illusions about Wotc or Scg but this would be the end without return

other than that I only care for financial reasons I have Fows, Wastelans, Karakases, 10+spare fetches I still own partialy as a "what if" to play occasional Vintage if someone lends me P9 while being a sort of stable investment, so I have to find out whether to not risk and unload stuff I don't play anyway or not...

I don't mind people getting their new cards but I'm sick of how the game is poorly managed and manipulated
    Last edited by Sloshthedark; 01-20-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

My two cents on the matter:

This guy is clearly attention-whoring. I would take his info with a grain of salt. Especially his talk about a "fall set" is irritating since the MMA slot is in June.

However, the rumor about the summer set this year being Eternal Masters has been floating around in the internet for a while now, at least since the end of November/beginning of December, so I wouldn't completely dismiss it.

We'll probably know more around the middle of February (or beginning of February during the PT) when they announce this year's summer set.

As for a new format of "Legacy light" without RL cards: I would play that. D&T is 100% untouched by this and it's going to ruin people and their new, shittier shockland manabases like there's no tomorrow while Elves loses Cradle. Good times, good times!

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Also heard this rumour.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I'm not buying this story at all.

That being said, I've maintained that the failure of Standard is the only hope of for the possibility of something like this. We could be witnessing just such a failure, but that hardly proves any reprints are coming.

As someone who owns a lot of cards (40+ Revised duals, 10 FBB duals, 11 Force of Wills, Power 9, a couple Tabernacles, etc...), I could care less about the prospect of "losing money." I'd happily trade some of the equity in my collection for more reasonable prices and therefor more players in the format. Before anyone starts in about "hording," realize that I often lend out 2-3 Legacy decks per event so kids who want to play can (and not garbage budget decks), plus I have 6 kids, the oldest two which I have been teaching to play.

As for non-RL Legacy, I don't know how I feel about that. It's probably better than Modern though, so at least it would have that going for it. I don't see it happening though. What I could see, and have predicted before, is probably in the distant future is Modern shifting from 8th Edition to M15 and up (i.e. the "new" new border).

All that, but still this rumor seems about bogus as possible. That doesn't prove it's not true, but it certainly doesn't make it believable. If this even has a grain of truth, my bet would be it's an FTV that maybe contains Force of Will and a few other things.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    As someone who owns a lot of cards (40+ Revised duals, 10 FBB duals, 11 Force of Wills, Power 9, a couple Tabernacles, etc...), I could care less about the prospect of "losing money." I'd happily trade some of the equity in my collection for more reasonable prices and therefor more players in the format.
    I think Modern Masters has proved that judicious reprinting doesn't impact original prices, I don't even think you'd lose money. Demand for rare cards so far outstrips the supply it would take a Chronicles level reprint to tank the value of Force of Will (and most 4 of's). The increased exposure and slight accessibility bump would more than make up for the squirt of supply. We're also in an age of the EDH Casual, these people soak up a way bigger amount of cards than you can imagine. Alpha / Beta Birds of Paradise, Swords to Plowshares and Wrath of God have done nothing but rocket skyward while they get reprinted yearly in one form or another. I own everything and I'm for judicious reprints of reserved list cards. The foil loop hole was actually fantastic for this purpose.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

I stopped the vid at "Is Eternal going to be a format that'll replace Legacy?".

As far as I'm concerned the guy can be considered a Muggle.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I think Modern Masters has proved that judicious reprinting doesn't impact original prices, I don't even think you'd lose money. Demand for rare cards so far outstrips the supply it would take a Chronicles level reprint to tank the value of Force of Will (and most 4 of's). The increased exposure and slight accessibility bump would more than make up for the squirt of supply. We're also in an age of the EDH Casual, these people soak up a way bigger amount of cards than you can imagine. Alpha / Beta Birds of Paradise, Swords to Plowshares and Wrath of God have done nothing but rocket skyward while they get reprinted yearly in one form or another. I own everything and I'm for judicious reprints of reserved list cards. The foil loop hole was actually fantastic for this purpose.
    Yeah, I'm with you. I didn't mean to imply that my card values would actually take much of a loss. Even if they did decease somewhat, the idea of "losing money" is kind of ridiculous, because I bought them to play a game, not an investment. I don't complain that the car I bought is worth less now, or the video game or anything else. I bought it to use it, I used it and got my value. If I didn't feel they were worth the price, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. The fact that they are worth anything used it kind of great, in and of itself.

The reserve list is a joke. There will come a day when it is just gone. That day is probably not coming so soon, but it will when Wizards really needs the money. What Wizards is really scared of is not being able to sell Standard, not some vague allusion to a collector's law-suit.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    What Wizards is really scared of is not being able to sell Standard, not some vague allusion to a collector's law-suit.
    I keep hearing this, but what is the legal theory behind this mythological lawsuit? I mean, I am going to assume that a percentage of legacy players on these boards are actual attorneys when I ask . . . how would you even argue this? The reserved list is an implied contract that the collectors relied on as investors? Would that even have a chance of holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    ... The reserved list is an implied contract that the collectors relied on as investors? Would that even have a chance of holding up?
    Yes re a contract.

Holding up in court? Sure, your lawyer against a corporation's lawyers on a matter of pure financial speculation (ie, no moral upper-ground as in tobacco law suits). It would remind me of the Simpson's lawyer.

Put me in the skeptical camp. I just don't see it happening.

bruizar

This guy is full of shit. He doesn't know what he's talking about. The price jump on Field of Dreams was because of the discussion on this forum. However, all the other price jumps were intentional manipulations to steal cards on pucatrade.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

From everything I hear about Pucatrade, it itself appears to be the biggest scam in the commnity right now. I wonder when that bubble's gonna burst.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

bruizar

Pucatrade has a ripple effect throughout every other magic site which is causing huge price spikes that does not completely decay. Mindslicer on MCM is now a €4/5 card, it was 20 cents two days ago before it shot up to $50. Also mtgstocks is such a shit website because its SO easy to influence. All these price crawlers look at the price of the offer, not the price of the last sale. That's the whole f***ing problem with Magic's prices these last years.

bruizar

For those not in the know. Here's how you steal cards from innocent people:

(1) Look for cheap, preferably old cards on want lists
    (2) Identify which card is cheap and in low enough supply that you can temporarily buy out the major sites that are being crawled by mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites
    (3) Buy them up
    (4) Relist them for $1000,-
    (5) Let Pucatrade, mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites adjust its market-rate to your newly forged pump-n-dump
    (6) Start sending out the crap card on Pucatrade to people who have it on their want list and are probably unaware of wth just happened
    (7) Use your pucapoints to buy legit cards instead of MTG pennystocks.

---

When the dust settles, you f*ck a few people over, and the price starts plummeting. Magic being Magic, it never fully plummets so the price gain still sticks and you at least get a 400% gain on your leftovers.

Thread Information