Thread: [Level Up Legacy] 012 - Non-Blue Decks

[Level Up Legacy] 012 - Non-Blue Decks

This week Matt and Mike talk about why you might want to forgo playing Islands, and what non-blue decks are at the top of their game.

http://leveluplegacy.com/2016/01/22/...on-blue-decks/

0:28 Why to play Blue
    1:00 Why not to play Blue
    4:45 Non-Blue Combo Decks
    7:06 Prison Decks
    17:40 Non-Blue Midrange
    22:48 Burn
    26:36 Hybrid Archetypes
    36:03 Top Tier Non-Blue Decks
    Check out our weekly podcast, every Thursday at LevelUpLegacy.com

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Re: [Level Up Legacy] 012 - Non-Blue Decks

Thanks guys - this was a good overview of/ode to non-blue decks. I particularly appreciated the coverage of Burn, MUD, and Jund.

That said, I would have liked a deeper discussion of why you should play these decks. You explained the idea of redundancy and raw power > cantrips, but it would have been good to hear more about meta positioning, dealing with combo, lack of countermagic, etc.

On a different note, is there any way you guys can put your stuff on Podcasts? It'd be nice to subscribe and download these on my phone.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I think that despite sdematt being on here, there was definite lack of appreciate for why you'd be in Junk colors.

You *can't* replicate it without a 4-color blue deck because one of the best aspects is having DRS/Decay in white. Swords, Tutors, awesome hate-pieces etc, while still having the trump-cards Decay and DRS. Deathblade cheats this by being 4-color, but that's my point.

While Blue gets around that by having counter-spells for the pieces you're bringing White in for, I think it's unfair to paint Junk colors as offering nothing that Blue decks don't get. Having Plow + Decay is a nice combination.

I agree that Jace tends to be the biggest issue (aside from the consistency aspect); but I think REB is weaker against the only real Jace deck we deal with right now; purely because Counterbalance blocks it all the the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I am greatly enjoying your podcasts. Solid, relevent material. I think you're spot-on with the splinter twin analogy/false tempo reference from GT. I think many gx decks (for crop rotation) can threaten Marit Lage and create a tempo vaccum that can result in a big advantage, similar to many variations of twin in modern that did likewise.

Well done.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    On a different note, is there any way you guys can put your stuff on Podcasts? It'd be nice to subscribe and download these on my phone.
    You should find a link to download the cast right under the wordpress player. Neither Matt nor myself are that computer savvy but we are working on getting the cast onto itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin
    I think that despite sdematt being on here, there was definite lack of appreciate for why you'd be in Junk colors.
    Different Matt.

We didn't want to go in depth on every single deck (eg. junk) so we highlighted the ones that we thought were performing better in the current metagame.

-Michael
    Check out our weekly podcast, every Thursday at LevelUpLegacy.com

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LevelUpLegacy View Post
    Different Matt.
    I guess that makes sense given the deck choices he's been mentioning in other episodes lol. I know sde does some podcast and I felt the voices were somewhat similar. Apologies for the mixup :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Nice run down on Lands. You guys did a good job.

On MUD, that Eldrazi build is scary. 8 possible (conditional) Sol lands I think is the consistency the deck needed with something like Sea Gate Ruins to help. I think that will rise as a very strong deck in Legacy.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I have listened to all of your podcasts thus far and they continue to get better! Really enjoyed this one. Keep up the good work!

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Ya if it was sdematt the junk discussion would had us all playing siege rhinos by the time we were done.

Junk is a very strong combination. When meta'd correctly it very potent.

I haven't got into the cast yet but I hope painter wasn't left out in the cold. When I hear non-blue I say 8 red blast.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Thread Information