Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legacy Checklist

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: Legacy Checklist

How did you come up with your list?

The cards you've identified as staples are missing cards. For example, White, you have terminus in the staples, but not monastery mentor or entreat. You Cannot play terminus without them. Terminus is very narrow and only played in miracles where monastery mentor is played in other things.

I don't know if it makes much of a difference but its something to consider if you are using the "staples" at the top of the colors to prioritize.

Also, making the list would have been super easy if you just pulled the most played cards from tcdecks.net.

EDIT tcdecks.net changed their site.... i may have slightly older data you can use.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    How did you come up with your list?

The cards you've identified as staples are missing cards. For example, White, you have terminus in the staples, but not monastery mentor or entreat. You Cannot play terminus without them. Terminus is very narrow and only played in miracles where monastery mentor is played in other things.

I don't know if it makes much of a difference but its something to consider if you are using the "staples" at the top of the colors to prioritize.

Also, making the list would have been super easy if you just pulled the most played cards from tcdecks.net.

EDIT tcdecks.net changed their site.... i may have slightly older data you can use.
    I used http://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/legacy for some help. I don't know how updated it is either but I used it to pick out the staples. Terminus was right behind StP and one of three white non-creature spells. I see what you are saying though. Do you recommend I broaden the list or shorten it? I'm leaning towards broadening it. Terminus is still a staple card in a DTB so I feel it belongs.

Yeah I wish I had know about that and the website Bobmans used but it's already done haha.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Do you recommend I broaden the list or shorten it? I'm leaning towards broadening it. Terminus is still a staple card in a DTB so I feel it belongs.
    I wouldn't worry about i.e. Terminus being or not being a staple. It is as you say an important in a DTB, so not having such cards would be a miss.

If you really want to focus on Legacy only, then the question is how realistic would it be that there will be a deck featuring every unique card you have identified. Exalted Angel for example, since Baneslayer Angel/Entreat the Angels/Batterskull exist, or do you really want 4 copies of Volrath's Stronghold, which is borderline played as a 1-off in NicFit. On the other having every "optional" playable card is understandable. And who determines it is playable aside from the most played list?

EDIT: I was checking back on mtgtop8 to see how far i could fetch data. Appears it goes all the way back to 2011, but it was possible to collect data per year. Also i missed that lists for Maindeck and Sideboard are separate and i missed that in the first run. So what i did was collect all data from 2 month's ago, both MD as SB and did the same for the entire 2015. I merged the collected data and removed duplicates. Then i did the same check as with the previous file, but i sorted the list to make it easier to go thru. Turned out the list was still missing pretty much (mostly sideboard) cards. I.E. Crucible of Worlds.

LIST
    Last edited by Bobmans; 01-29-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Updated data
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    If you really want to focus on Legacy only, then the question is how realistic would it be that there will be a deck featuring every unique card you have identified.
    I think that's the main question to think about. I have a playet of Hickory Woodlot and Peat Bog proudly on display in my "goodstuff" binder, even though they are used in only a couple of fringe decks being tested, and not even as 4-ofs. They're just...neat

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I think that's the main question to think about. I have a playet of Hickory Woodlot and Peat Bog proudly on display in my "goodstuff" binder, even though they are used in only a couple of fringe decks being tested, and not even as 4-ofs. They're just...neat
    That's one of the eternal dilemmas in Legacy collection management.

Stuff like Peat Bog.

On the one hand, they'll probably never print another land that taps for BB. Nothing will replace it. Making 2 colored mana is powerful.

But on the other, how often do you actually register this in the 75? Have you ever even played it? Obviously you can't sell the card for more than $0.05 if you're lucky, so trying to sell it is a waste of time. Since it's so rare that you'll ever play it, is it worth it to even keep track of the card? I mean, every time you're looking for Scalding Tarn, you have to sift past those Peat Bogs. Would it be better if they were just gone forever? But what if you need them one day?!

#legacy_problems

Thread Information