Thread: [Deck] Junk Midrange - nic fit / deathblade brewing

[Deck] Junk Midrange - nic fit / deathblade brewing

Hey all, thanks for looking. I'm trying to brew an Abzan/Junk midrange deck. As it stands at the moment, it's kind of like a mashup between nic fit and deathblade - but I'm not sure it's a good combination.

Code:
    // Deck: legacy Junk (60)

// Lands
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

// Creatures
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Eternal Witness
    2 Kitchen Finks
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Veteran Explorer

// Spells
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Batterskull
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Recurring Nightmare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Harmonic Sliver
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Thoughtseize
    Card choices:

So, like I mentioned, it's sort of a collaboration between Nic Fit and Stone/deathblade. Although the "nic fit" portion is mainly including veteran explorer. I don't necessarily need the ramp, but with the 4 maindeck cabal therapy, I needed something to sacrifice for the flashback, and Veteran exlorer was the only thing I found. Also, there's a recurring Nightmare, also from nic fit. I don't think I like that too much though, so it might end up getting cut.

There's a green sun's package with dryad Arbor, scavenging Ooze, qasali pridemage, and to some degree kitchen finks and eternal witness. I believe the creature package needs a lot of work though.

Then of course there's Stoneforge Mystic, and the jitte and Batterskull to go with it. I like the cards themselves, but I'm not sure it fits in the deck plan. With knight of the Reliquary, most of the time I would want to be dropping that on turn 3. Meaning I wouldn't be dropping my equipment from SFM until the following turn, and only equipping if I've hit my mana on curve. That being said, connecting with a 3/3 or 4/4 knight equipped with a jitte, even on turn 4, would be pretty powerful.

Discard/removal:
    4x swords, pretty easy choice.
    2x abrupt decay main, 2 side. These numbers might not be right, but I wouldn't know what else to cut to get more in the main.
    4x cabal therapy
    3x Thoughtseize (sideboard). Would also like to be main, but not sure what to cut.

Knight package:
    3x knight of the Reliquary. Would I want to go up to 4?
    3x Wasteland
    1x bojuka Bog - for storm, dredge, reanimator. Possibly others.
    1x Karakas - another easy choice for problem legends.

Of course, Deathrite is just a good card. I want 4 of them in almost any deck.

That about ends it for my introduction explanation. This is a very rough first draft, so I'd be more than happy to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions!

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Re: [Deck] Junk Midrange - nic fit / deathblade brewing

It's more Nic Fit meets Dark Maverick.

Could you expand on how this build would improve on any of the other decks weaknesses?

I don't mean to be a dick but as far as I can see this build has part of the ramping capabilities of Nic Fit and some of the beatsticks of Maverick so it's either Nic Fit without the creatures that overpower your opponents or Maverick without the hatebears.

Also, your manabase lacks the mandatory minimum 14/14/14 initial G/B/W mana required not to colourscrew yourself on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    It's more Nic Fit meets Dark Maverick.

Could you expand on how this build would improve on any of the other decks weaknesses?

I don't mean to be a dick but as far as I can see this build has part of the ramping capabilities of Nic Fit and some of the beatsticks of Maverick so it's either Nic Fit without the creatures that overpower your opponents or Maverick without the hatebears.

Also, your manabase lacks the mandatory minimum 14/14/14 initial G/B/W mana required not to colourscrew yourself on a regular basis.
    No worries, I don't think you're being a dick. It's a valid point - looking over it another time made me realize your point.

I'm just starting to get into legacy. I've been looking over primers and lists, trying to figure out what I want to build. My favorite cards that seem to be shared between the most appealing lists are Deathrite Shaman and SFM.

After looking over another Nic Fit primer on here, there's a list further down the page of an Abzan wish build that looks pretty close to what I'm trying to accomplish with this.
    Would something like this still be viable? It's a list from 2014.
    Code:
    Dudes (14)
    4 Veteran explorer
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Sigarda
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    non-dudes (25)
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Tops
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    4 Therapy
    3 GSZ
    1 Diabolic Intent
    3 Living Wish
    3 Deed
    1 Jitte
    1 StP
    2 Decay
    1 Batterskull
    Land (22)
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp
    2 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    Board
    1 Karakas
    1 Bog
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Fleshbag Marauder
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ashen Rider
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Tsumani
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Humility
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Innocent Blood

Jul 2013
    Texas

You should join The Rock thread, this is pretty much what we do in there.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-Rock/page349

Your deck looks fine, though I would consider getting Liliana of the Veil and/or Lingering Souls in the deck over some of your other 3-drops (the extra Witness + Finks, or Recurring Nightmare)

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    You should join The Rock thread, this is pretty much what we do in there.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-Rock/page349

Your deck looks fine, though I would consider getting Liliana of the Veil and/or Lingering Souls in the deck over some of your other 3-drops (the extra Witness + Finks, or Recurring Nightmare)
    Thanks, I posted over there!

Thread Information