Hello everyone,
and welcome back to my tournament reports. ;)

This time, let's talk about the 1k Legacy in Luzern. I always state that the day prior to the one of the tournament HAS to be included, but this time... nope... I was visiting a relative in a hospital so nothing intersting here. The deck I played did not change either. I played the exact same 75 I played this december in Geneva.

//Lands
1 Badlands
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Swamp
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island

//Creatures
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Young Pyromancer
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 True-Name Nemesis

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Painful Truths

//Other
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Sideboard
2 Blood Moon
1 Pithing Needle
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Flusterstorm
1 Pyroblast
1 Envelop
2 Submerge
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Diabolic Edict

The trip to Luzern wasn't that interesting either, no decklist to write (we were able to send the list by mail, facebook or any other means) no other player travling with me. And since the tournament started at 12:30 I was even able to catch enough sleep. Noothing to grumble at.

So I arrived at the location and spoke with some other players, traded some cards and then the tournament started. Overall there were 34 players and so we played 6 rounds of swiss + Top8.

1st Round VS 12-Post

Just don't even wreck your brain about any land based match ups if you want to play this deck. Yeah you got Blood Moon in your sideboard to attack their strategy, but they will board in Krosan Grips even if they don't know that you even play it, just to get your Needle or something alike. Lands, 12-Post and any deck trying the same degenerated strategy will just stomp you. Try to be as agressive as possible and if you win this matchup consider yourself lucky ;)

0-2 Loss

//In
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Submerge
2 Blood Moon
1 Pithing Needle

//Out
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Jace The Mindsculptor

2nd Round VS Miracles

I can not highlight it more often. The main advantage this list gains, in comparison to the old Grixis-Controll-lists I played, is the addition of Abrupt Decay in the mainboard. Especially against Miracles they are worth a ton. In the old list a resolved Counterbalance in game 1 just spelled L O S S. You had no way of attacking against a deck that counters nearly all of your spells and packs massremoval. Now you get the chance to play a slower approach and wait for the decay to free you from the soft lock. Miracles is also the deck against which Painfull Truths realy shines. You got to invest some cards to pressure them and then they just peel a terminus and set you back big. But with a draw 3 you can recover and start your offensive anew.

Another point my opponent stated against me was after I won the first game just by reducing his life totals with a single Deathrite Shaman.

„I don't even know what to board against you. You attack from so many different angles.“

Even if the main threats are creature based, they serve so many different purposes. You can outgrind your opponent by drawing cards with Tasigur, Painful Truths and Jace the Mindsculptor, Rush in with Pyromancer and True-Name Nemesis, Or chip away at your opponents lifetotal with Deathrite, Bolt and Snapcaster Mage.

2-0 Win

//In
2 Flusterstorm
1 Izzet Staticaaster
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Envelope
1 Pyroblast
1 Pithing Needle

//Out
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Cabal Therapy
2 Force of Will
1 Gitaxian Probe

3rd Round VS Mud???

I don't even know how to name this deck. Tangle Wire, Goblin Welder, Daretti, Chalice, Trinisphere and soooo oooooon. The first game I lost to him assembling welder + wire and me just having to tap out every turn.

The 2nd Game he was screwed big time. And to be honest he lost the 3rd game to his mana base as well. Two Ancient tomb reduced his life total pretty fast. And I just had to push him over the edge with some Lightning Bolts and a board full of tokens.

2-1 Win

Sideboarding:
//In
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Pithing Needle

//Out
1 Snapcaster Mage

1st Round VS UWR-Stoneblade

My opponent was pretty new to his deck and legacy I assume. He missed alot of triggers, especialy the „Delver“-ones and evaluated his position in the game wrong. He thought he lost in a situation where I was definetly behind on the board. Even though he was flooded Batterskull and Jitte are not cards I like to see across me on the board.

Anyway Game 1 I was able to overwhelm him with 3 Young Pyromancers. Game 2 I lost because i just didn't attack with a 1/1 Elemental token for 2 Turns and he killed me with a True-Name Nemesis. And Game 3 was a little more Grindy but I gained the upper hand and sealed the deal with Blood Moon.

2-1 Win

Sideboarding:
//In
2 Flusterstorm
1 Pyroblast
1 Pithing Needle
2 Bloodmoon
1 Toxic Deluge

//Out
4 Force of Will
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Tropical Island

1st Round VS Death'n Taxes

The first game was pretty close although he managed to get Mangara + Karakas on the board, but he managed to pull through and finish me with his cratures.
The following two games I won because he had to mulligan and keep lackluster hands. The 3rd Game he even mulled down to 4.

2-1 Win

Sideboarding:
//In
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Pithing Needle

//Out
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Force of Will

1st Round VS XXX

X-1-1 gets you in at tournaments with low player counts. Sooooo...

I.D.

Top8 VS Elves

Just watch it yourself. Maybe I add a little description to it later.

Youtube

2-1 Win

Sideboarding:
//In
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Envelop
2 Submerge
1 Grafdigger's Cage

//Out
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tropical Island
1 Gitaxian Probe

Top4 VS Miracles

Whenever I enter a tournament my only goal is Top8. You have to be honest with yourself... Even if you play at your best, you will loose games to variance. In the swiss portion of a tournament you can loose 1 match in the Tops your out. So this match I lost to variance. My opponent drew the better half of his deck, I didn't, but thats okay.

0-2 Loss

//In
2 Flusterstorm
1 Izzet Staticaaster
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Envelope
1 Pyroblast
1 Pithing Needle

//Out
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Cabal Therapy
2 Force of Will
1 Gitaxian Probe

Conclusion

Overall another respectable finish with the deck. Nothing to fancy, but no failure either. If I would be able to play the tournament again I would make some minor changes to the sideboard, but only according to the metagame. There was no card that I would say was useless and therefor nothing I would change right now, maybe with some more distance there is something that doesn't feel right, but right now I still like the deck.