Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article] The Top Five Legacy Decks — What the Experts think

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

[Article] The Top Five Legacy Decks — What the Experts think

Hi guys,

earlier this year I surveyed 19 selected Legacy experts about their choice of the 5 strongest decks in the format. Among them are several Legacy GP Top8'ers & Winners, SCG Open Champions and Bazaar of Moxen winners. And there's also Lemnear (). You can find their answers and what to make of them in my most recent article:

https://www.mindsportsacademy.com/Ar...Legacy%20Decks
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Re: [Article] The Top Five Legacy Decks — What the Experts think

Thanks for the article! Was looking forward to see everyone else's lists. I also like the idea of this article, they have similar tier-list articles in Hearthstone and I always enjoyed them there.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Does this article take into account the new Eldrazi stompy deck?

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Several, if not all the Eldrazis had been spoilered when I asked everyone about their picks, but I doubt anyone really considered it.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Very nicely put.

Yes, this do show up one of the weakness of the DTB section, that a deck needs to have a certain level of popularity to it to end up there. But it also shows that true knowledge of the format is in itself a skill and one that rewards the educated. Well done.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Thank you a lot. A really informative article.

No groundbreaking news, but it is interessting to read what some of the more legacy enthusiastic guys think.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

earlier this year I surveyed 19 selected Legacy experts about their choice of the 5 strongest decks in the format. Among them are several Legacy GP Top8'ers & Winners, SCG Open Champions and Bazaar of Moxen winners. And there's also Lemnear ().
    I laughed so hard. Felt like I am discrediting your article by my presence

edit: Dunno how I feel about the "achievements" of my introduction lol

Edit2: Would habe prefered a link to the TES homepage

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Does this article take into account the new Eldrazi stompy deck?
    Not yet, but I tried to credit the 12-Post manabase as a (potential) Legacy powerhouse when Julian asked me. Had to settle at a specific deck with the 12-post manabase and choose MUD as the representative of a colorless ramp-deck, which is basically what Eldrazi stompy is
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Really cool survey. Thanks for doing this, Julian!

It's interesting to see Reanimator, MUD, and RUG all getting a vote. I'd love to hear why those were picked, considering how many other contenders there are. Lemnear, it looks like you picked MUD; could you expand on that at all?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Really cool survey. Thanks for doing this, Julian!

It's interesting to see Reanimator, MUD, and RUG all getting a vote. I'd love to hear why those were picked, considering how many other contenders there are. Lemnear, it looks like you picked MUD; could you expand on that at all?
    See the previous post, Stu. I was free to edit my post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Not yet, but I tried to credit the 12-Post manabase as a (potential) Legacy powerhouse when Julian asked me. Had to settle at a specific deck with the 12-post manabase and choose MUD as the representative of a colorless ramp-deck, which is basically what Eldrazi stompy is
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

See the previous post, Stu. I was free to edit my post:
    Thanks Lemnear - I guess I snuck in before your edit. MUD seems like a good choice for your 12-Post deck, especially in a survey where Miracles and ANT dominated .

Again, I'm interested in the Reanimator choice. There's no denying it's a strong deck, but in a world where Deathrite is very regularly maindecked, I'm surprised someone voted for it.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Thanks Lemnear - I guess I snuck in before your edit. MUD seems like a good choice for your 12-Post deck, especially in a survey where Miracles and ANT dominated
    Thats intended. Chalice/Thorn/Trinisphere are good counters to Storm as well as to all the cheap cantrip decks in general and the manaramping paired with Eye of Ugin is incredible good against Miracles. If you use Lodestone/Wurmcoil/batterskull/ThoughtKnotSeer/Kozilek/etc. did not matter for me here. I had the concept in mind only, but had to pick a deck. We will see if I am wring on that idea

Join us at Facebook!

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I decided to "embrace" you not having any flashy results yet poking a bit of fun at it, yes I still wanted you in there because of your contributions to the scene as well as general format knowledge and awareness.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think my vote would've gone
    ANT, Miracles, Lands, Delver, Show and Tell. Which seems to be fairly average of an answer.

One thing that I do find interesting about legacy is something a commenter brought up about how this list also helps to tell you what to expect. I actually disagree with this claim. Yes you will see your fair share of miracles and such, but due to budgetary reasons over a large tournament I believe you have a very good chance of seeing a much larger swath of decks at any given event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

great article - I think it would be interesting to mention what deck those players actualy play (most of them seem to have strong affinity to one of the archetypes) compared to what's the best deck in their opinion

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I guess its a good thing that the experts agree with the data. Our DTB + Established decks probably captures 100% of the decks in your article. That probably just reinforces that this site is the best, or one of the best, resources for Legacy. There is always going to be some variance in decks played but it's clear that when developing a new deck it should perform well vs the top 8 (or 5) decks of the format.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I decided to "embrace" you not having any flashy results yet poking a bit of fun at it, yes I still wanted you in there because of your contributions to the scene as well as general format knowledge and awareness.
    You're welcome poking. A special thanks for the lovely appreciation. We will see how my "format awareness" in terms of "colorless ramp" pays out

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    great article - I think it would be interesting to mention what deck those players actualy play (most of them seem to have strong affinity to one of the archetypes) compared to what's the best deck in their opinion
    Funnily, I don't feel quite adressed :)

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I guess its a good thing that the experts agree with the data. Our DTB + Established decks probably captures 100% of the decks in your article. That probably just reinforces that this site is the best, or one of the best, resources for Legacy. There is always going to be some variance in decks played but it's clear that when developing a new deck it should perform well vs the top 8 (or 5) decks of the format.
    The interresting point of this article is that you got direct format feedback from accomplished players and/or deck designers based on impressions/experience through whole and several tournaments rather than just Top 8 lists most of the format meta data in the web ground on.

Join us at Facebook!

I wonder why so many people think Lands is great but not that many play it to success in tournaments. It seems like most people playing it locally have great results but maybe a few too many draws. The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale cost is the usually stated reason but it's still less than a playset of blue duals.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I think while most people are comfortable with buying ten 50 € cards, psychology it's harder to buy one 500 € card, even though the total cost of the deck is the same most blue decks will cost you.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Funnily, I don't feel quite adressed :)
    the difference is most striking in

Marius Hausmann - D&T not in his 5
    Niklas Kronberger - Loam 5th in the list

also roughly 50% of people who have Miracles on 1st do not really play it

I think while most people are comfortable with buying ten 50 € cards, psychology it's harder to buy one 500 € card, even though the total cost of the deck is the same most blue decks will cost you.
    you also do not usually pay 10x50 € to expand the U core you already have, the similar non-U way is close just from Aggro loam and a lot of the cards have little use outside of Lands, I think it also goes to that it's not a deck for everyone or it used to be so before Thespian Stage

I think it's interesting when competitive players think a deck is the best but then do not play the deck themselves. There are certainly many factors in why one would play a deck, but if you are trying to be competitive and top 8 a Legacy GP it seems that you would play what deck you think is the best. I am curious to know why so many players think Miracles is the best deck and don't even play it.

Thread Information