Thread: The Abyss + Strionic Resonator

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

The Abyss + Strionic Resonator

If I control the abyss and strionic resonator, and my opponent controls a veteran explorer and a primeval titan. During my opponent's upkeep, the abyss's ability is put on the stack targeting veteran explorer. I activate strionic resonator targeting the abyss's ability. For the copy, can I change the target to primeval titan?

It seems like the text on resonator means that I get to choose the target. However, on the abyss's ability, it says "target .. of his or her choice". Is that a targeting restriction similar to the nonartifact requirement? Is it that the abyss's ability can only ever target something of the opponent's choice, or can the target be theoretically changed after the opponent makes the initial choice?

Re: The Abyss + Strionic Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    It seems like the text on resonator means that I get to choose the target. However, on the abyss's ability, it says "target .. of his or her choice". Is that a targeting restriction similar to the nonartifact requirement? Is it that the abyss's ability can only ever target something of the opponent's choice, or can the target be theoretically changed after the opponent makes the initial choice?
    The target gets copied, and the you may change it to the other creature. The opponent doesn't get to chose a target again at all. The abyss is weird, but the 'choose a target' template is also on stuff like Chain of Plasma that can obviously get misdirected.

Re: The Abyss + Strionic Resonator

You can change the target. Who makes the choice on the ability is not a restriction.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information