Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Christopher Rush

Jul 2007
    The Frozen North

Re: RIP Christopher Rush

Super sad news... both passed way to soon.

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

To this day I still have the original All Hallow's Eve I picked up in 1994, with another four I accumulated over the years. It has and will always be my favorite card of all time - and I owe a big thank you to Mr. Rush for his contributions to the game I love.

His legacy will live on forever in the great art that he made.

Rest in peace.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Do we know what illness he succumbed to?

-Matt

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

I have not posted in a while. I was very sad to hear of his passing. For several years, my easy answer to the question of "What is my favorite MTG art?" was Blood of the Martyr. I always wanted to get one signed, but never found the time. The path we walk is always too short. Rest in Peace.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

RK Post put this up on his FB:

Quote Originally Posted by ramanujan View Post
    I have not posted in a while. I was very sad to hear of his passing. For several years, my easy answer to the question of "What is my favorite MTG art?" was Blood of the Martyr. I always wanted to get one signed, but never found the time. The path we walk is always too short. Rest in Peace.
    I used to collect Blood of the Martyr, and took my collection of them to Origins in 1997, and asked him to sign my global set (not a big deal then, since it was only in a few languages). I had around 500 total copies in the binder, and his eyes kind of opened wide when he saw that. He said I was dedicated, and I told him that it was my favorite art in the game; he said he was flattered, and was just very gracious. I did mention that my ultimate goal was to eventually have every copy signed, and he told me that he'd love to if we could work out the logistics; unfortunately, we were never able to do so, but his willingness to at least try really impressed me. That trip remains the best Magic-related event in my life, and that interaction was a big reason. It makes the loss of all of my copies of the card due to a large theft that much more heartbreaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Exactly the same, and now more than ever im glad to have done all i could to get this one signed in Seattle.

My god i even remember how i was being a 12 yo fangirl when i saw Christoper himself giving me a like on fb for this one..
    FYI if anyone hasn't checked the mothership yet, the front page is dedicated to both Rush and England, with several wallpapers from each as well as anecdotes from the WOTC staff.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I saw Christopher Rush not too long ago, at GP Sea-Tac, and chatted with him while getting some cards signed. I'm glad I stopped by his booth when I did, because I was one of the last ones in before they roped off his line. I think Bryant Cook was in front of me getting a Tormod's Crypt signed. I was trying to give Mr. Rush and his lady some recommendations on lunch, but we were in stupid Tacoma instead of Seattle, and he said they hadn't had a good dining experience the previous evening. I had a good recommendation, but they didn't seem keen on the prospects of a lengthy walk in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    FYI if anyone hasn't checked the mothership yet, the front page is dedicated to both Rush and England, with several wallpapers from each as well as anecdotes from the WOTC staff.
    That's a nice tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Do we know what illness he succumbed to?

-Matt
    Nope, but it was sudden.

Here's a statement from his daughter, Sierra, cross-posted from Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...is_daughter/):

Hello Reddit,

You may have noticed I have been trying to reply where I can to questions and to express our gratitude at the outpouring of support and love for my father, Christopher Rush. I was asked if I could clarify some things as they got lost in the depths of the internets. Hopefully this will help explain some things to those of you who might have missed them, or who may have concerns or questions and are too heartsick to ask.

It is quite impossible for us to respond to everything but we are deeply moved and know that Magic was his life, and what he gave his heart and soul to. I could not ask for anything better for someone I loved, than the outpouring of memories, tributes and adoration people are sharing with us.

His agent, Jeff Ferreira, will be handling any pending transactions and business that he has always handled. He’s flying out this weekend to be with us as well, so we are working together. I am not unreachable myself but inundated with messages and dealing with the grim task of legal matters as his adult heir.

Nothing is final but we will likely be having a very small private, moment to honor him in addition to a memorial at an event. I do not know yet if I am making it to Houston. I have a surgery on March 1st and am trying to see if I can move the date up so that so that I can make it to Houston as my little sister Madeline lives in Texas and I live in FL. This is dependent on my Dr’s schedule, so it’s up in the air right now.

If I can’t or even if I do, I will be trying to go to GP DC, possibly others. There is going to be a memorial table at Houston (DC too I think) regardless of whether or not I can make it. Jeff will be there, and he will have some of his work available. It won’t be the big service yet, as we just simply cannot make that happen in this time even if I can make it to Houston. Beyond the fact I am not sure if I can hold it together for more than two sentences, talking about him.

We want it known that we want everyone to honor his memory in the way they feel appropriate. I know there were concerns raised over Rk Post’s token being sold and I want people to understand that I gave my consent for him to do as he wishes. Rk post is a close friend and I could not have asked for a more touching piece of art to remember my father by. RK has also given a great deal to the fundraiser for my father’s expenses and for myself and my sister. This is just a man grieving the loss of a friend in the best way he knows, and really truly, touching us all with his generosity and ability to capture the spirit of my father.

There is also an auction of a piece that Amy Webber did to honor my father, the proceeds are going to the gofundme as well. Ultimately, we just want people to understand that -- this is what he would have wanted. People to honor him in art, memory, love and thought.

Legal Frippery: I hold the rights to his property, including his intellectual property/art, reproductive rights for his artwork. No one aside from myself should be reproducing anything he created without my permission. Bluntly, if you’re not sure I authorized it, please don’t hesitate to speak up. As mentioned, Jeff is handling a lot for me, so it’s safe to say you don’t need to string him up by his ankles at GP Houston and ask if I said he could ;)

Please continue to share with us. Reading all of your memories, tributes, and thoughts has made the shock of his loss easier to bear for all of us at home.

Sierra Rush

Thread Information