Thread: First Place with Miracles at Magickeller Hannover

Jun 2007
    Berlin, Germany

First Place with Miracles at Magickeller Hannover

I made the First Place after Swiss (but second place if you ask me) in yesterday's tourney with this List:

Deck: Miracle Control

//Main
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterbalance
    2 Counterspell
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Entreat the Angels
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Force of Will
    4 Island
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Karakas
    2 Monastery Mentor
    2 Plains
    4 Ponder
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Terminus
    3 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Wasteland

//Sideboard
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Wear // Tear

Deck Stats

We were only 29 people, so we've played 5 rounds and I got the bye in the first round.
    1-0

Round 2: Andy with SneakShow (2-1)
    At first I play against a buddy of mine from Berlin, so I already knew from start what I was facing.

In the first round I Mull to 6 for FoW. I'm keeping FoW, CB, Top, and Stuff. He wins the roll and resolves a Probe. I slam Top and CB while he can't go of, knowing of my FoW. We doing some draw-land-go and then he tries a Show and Tell. I fetch, looking in the top, counter with entreat I found and make an angel at the end of his turn. The angel swings, he tries a sneak Attack which I counter with Jace on top and scooped after another attack and a countered S'n'T.

I board +3 blast, +2 fluster, +moon, +w/t, +2 clique, -4 swords, -4 terminus, -1 Jace

Second round starts pretty solid I have Top,CB, Blast, FoW+Pitch. But I decided to waste my Pyroblast on a cantrip and couldn't counter the jace in the following round. He brainstorms two times with jace and slams Boseiju. I know that I have to handle it this round so I decide to play fetch (because I know my top two are crap) before I ponder just to see a wasteland in it m) - the Flying Spaghetti Monster eats me.

I realize that moon restrict myself too much an priest helps a lot, so I switch those.

Third round I keep Flusterstorm, Snapy, FoW, CB, Fetch, Mentor, Tundra. I start with tundra go, he tries Tomb, Petal, Petal, SnT, meets my flusterstorm. I draw Pyroblast, slam CB. I didn't remember his third round. I draw something play a land and pass. In his next round he tries another show and tell, I respond with Snapy into flusterstorm. Snapy attacks, I drop a land and pass. He does something I don't remember. I play clique eot, seeing 2 Sneak, Emrakul, Grisel, Jace, Through the breach. I let him keep that. I attack for 5. He Wipe Away my CB. In his turn he finds a soul land and tries sneak or through the breach, I have a Counterspell for that. In my turn I had 2 FoW, 2 CB, blast, mentor on hand. I decide to swing him to 6 and slam the CB back in the table, because I still have FoW + blast, immediately cursing myself quietly after doing it. He fetches and tries another Sneak, but I blind flip Jace.
    2-0

Round 3: Frank with BRw Reanimator (2-0)
    He seems to know what I'm playing, I remembered that he's some sort of combo.

I loose the dice roll again and keep FoW, CB, Snapy, Fetch, Tundra, Waste. He starts with a Probe for mana and isn't very pleased about my hand. I top deck a top and immediately slam that on the board. He plays another probe and tries faithless looting but I have FoW for that. counterbalance joins its battle buddy sensei's diving top. After that I waste badlands before I play mentor with two tops in play. The mentor attacks for five, he draws, does the math and scoops.

I board +2 surgical, +priest, +2 fluster, +EE, +w/t, -2 StP, -3 Terminus, -1 Crucible, -1 jace

I open Top, CB, EE, Snapy, Ponder, tundra, fetch and announce "keep" without thinking, just to curse me quietly for throwing away the second round. He reveals a chancellor of the annex before he begins and begins with Land and Petal. I just do land, EE, top. In my eot he plays entomb and I draw from top, hopelessly searching for FoW but drawing something else, I think Wasteland. I thought "Well, at least this would be a quick loss and we have enough time for the third round". He tutors a fattie in his grave, went into his turn, draws... And curses his deck before he pass. I slam CB, and hope that I maybe could be lucky to avoid my doom. He draws, curses again and castes Simian Spirit Guide. I untapped, played Top and quickly find a sword for his creature in the following rounds. We played a little further until he scoops, I don't remember why, possibly another mentor.
    3-0

Round 4: Marco with ANT (2-0)
    I remember that he's playing combo. He wins the dice roll.

I mulligan into 2 Force, Counterspell, 3 Land, scry another land on bottom. He starts with Probe + Cabal Therapy on FoW. I draw top from top and slam it. He cantrips and has another Therapy for my CS. I find CB and for the next tree rounds I always counter his cantrips with announce CB trigger, looking at my top 3, then drawing from top. On the fourth time I manage to resolve Entreat for 2 Angels when he's at 16 life. He tries something in the meanwhile but I had found my other two Forces in the meantime and the Angels beat him badly.

I board +3 blast +2 fluster +2 surgical +2 clique +EE +w/t -3 Terminus -4 Swords -Crucible -2 Mentor -1 Jace

I keep Flusterstorm, Ponder, Snapy, Force, CB, Tundra, Waste. He starts with USea into Ponder. I play my Tundra and pass. He tries Bayou into Dark Ritual, but that catches a Flusterstorm. I cast counterbalance and pass. He eats my CB with abrupt decay and cantrips afterwards. I break my Ponder and see Surgical Extraction, Top & CB. So I decide to draw the surgical, drop a land and pass. In his draw step I remove all his decays (he had no Krosan grip or xantid swarm in his deck, nice!) and saw that he had 2 Cabal Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Ad Nauseam, Ponder, Lotus Petal on Hand. He played ponder and Infernal Tutor. I was thinking about countering it for some time, but decided against, he searched for another duress. I went to my turn, draw top, played it, draw CB from top and slam it on the board. He tries to play the Cabal Ritual next round, I force. After that I casted Snapy for extraction on his Cabal Rituals, wasted two lands and destroyed Petals with Explosives before he accepted his loss.
    4-0

Round 5: Patrick with Omnitell (ID)
    Over the course of the tournament we've chatted often because he's a buddy of an old friend of mine and a nice guy. We decided to draw, as we were the only ones with 12 points in the tournament, and just played for fun/internal ranking.

I lost the dice for another time and kept a decent hand, but he quickly devastated me with SnT into Omniscience into Cantrip into Enter the Infinite.

I boarded like round 2 after the first game.

I kept another decent hand and did my best to defend against him but my fate was quickly sealed.

After the matches we exchanged about our deck and sideboard plans and he showed me a far better sideboard strategy against his deck. Next time I will board +2 Surgical +3 Pyroblast +w/t +Council's +2 Flusterstorm +2 Clique -2 Jace -Crucible -4 Swords -4 Terminus against OmniTell.
    4-0-1

I got first thanks to my opscore, picked a Jace TMS as price and am pretty happy with my performance. I think I have boarded the moon to much (after all it's just against shardless and a straw of hope against MUD/Lands/12 Post) but I will just keep an eye on that in the future.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: First Place with Miracles at Magickeller Hannover

Great run with a bit of luck. Congratulations.
    I would have stopped you for sure.
    My short report can be found here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post931310
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Jun 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Great run with a bit of luck. Congratulations.
    Thanks! A bit of luck is always involved :)

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    I would have stopped you for sure.
    You mean like the last three times when I had beaten you 2-0?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by acidhead View Post
    You mean like the last three times when I had beaten you 2-0?
    I am sure, you never beat me 2-0 and I don't want to recall you hotbox plays in public.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Thread Information