Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Eternal Masters - June 10, 2016

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Confirmed: Eternal Masters - June 10, 2016

Makes me remember the better times when Tom LaPille was gone from Magic

The archetypes are divided into the ten 2-color pairs. WG is enchantment-themed, hence the Enchantresses. Making Argothian mythic kinda fucks over that plan, though. And where the fuck is Auratog for going ham with Rancor? Missed opportunies all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    I should have said: Everyone's an entitled fucking critic.

WoTC could put $100 bills into packs and you people would complain about the folds.
    Thing is that they intentionally screwed up alot of value to get to a certain EV point - in Paper.

Not to mention the extremely low EV online is going to mess with card availability alot. This is likely going to be another, more expensive Wasteland lottery, aka "Tempest Remastered 2: Electric Boogaloo".

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

WoTC could put $100 bills into packs and you people would complain about the folds.
    Hilarious, never heard that before.

The point isn't about value, the online meta is totally skewed around Port being a crazy price. It's such a ridiculous exclusion that I'm genuinely baffled by it. Infernal Tutor too, among some others.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

If this wasn't $10 a pack I would play the hell out of draft and sealed with this set. There's piles of cards I love in this set that I don't get to play with enough. Balance, Braids, Nekrataal, Mogg Fanatic, Fact or Fiction, Serra Angel, Werebear, Winter Orb, Nevinyrral's Disk, etc. It's like nostalgia in a pack with new bad art.

Sadly it's $10 a pack and will have a tiny print run. I hope it is popular enough that WOTC will see fit to continue doing things like this but perhaps print more, and lower the cost.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I actually played D&T with ports online and it didn't really seem like I had any advantages from port being less common online.

I am curious, what are you guys' opinions on how port being less common influences the meta?

Obv. Less port decks, but what gains % points because of that?

Fow - 75 euros - cool
    Balance - 5,5 euros - fuck me
    Chome Mox - 9 euros - fuck me
    Worldgorger - 2 euros - fuck me (TWO EUROS)
    Vampiric - 25 euros - cool i guess (people will shit on this card, lets be realistic)
    Karakas - 95 euros - cool
    Mana Crypt - 75 euros - cool
    Jace - 67 euros - cool
    Wanderer - 13 euros - fuck me
    Necro - 6 euros - fuck me
    Enchantress - 10 euros - fuck me
    Dack - 21 euros - cool
    Sneak Attack - 30 euros - cool

7 Mythics are in the good spectrum, 6 of them are boxs destroyers

Top, Waste, Gamble, Maze, Entomb, Sinkhole and library are the only rares worth something so is a 7 out of 35, the average value of a rare in this set is 7.14 euros, you tend to lose money buying boosters each time you find a rare

Teraphy and chain lightning are notable mentions in the uncommon slot.

So you either coinflip with the mythics and wasteland or get lucky with foils, if not you will always lose money, that's it.

Also, the MTGO status is dumb, port shouldnt cost much more than a lotus right?
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    What exactly are you supposed to Natural Order for?
    You Natural Order for Bloodbraid Elf, which cascades into Shardless Agent, which cascades into... Whitemane Lion?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I actually played D&T with ports online and it didn't really seem like I had any advantages from port being less common online.

I am curious, what are you guys' opinions on how port being less common influences the meta?
    You have an advantage in that people do not metagame much against your deck, because it is so uncommon due to port's price. That is something that would be hard to realize through games, but if you build according to online metagame it definitely has an effect on your choices.
    But miracles is about 40% of the 5-0s online (apparently that's what Mengucci counted in an article or video), and miracles doesn't need to adapt much to D&T, so it's not the primary issue online.

Edit, to your edit "Obv. Less port decks, but what gains % points because of that?" : Hard to quantify but it's relevant. A bigger impact is how the value of certain decks changes.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    You Natural Order for Bloodbraid Elf, which cascades into Shardless Agent, which cascades into... Whitemane Lion?
    Doesn't work. You have to Cast Bloodbraid for cascade to work.

I am sad that there isn't any Goblin Settlers 😔
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

While that is so bad I wish you could do it, Cascade only triggers on being cast, not ETB.

EDIT: Beaten by a few seconds. The only card I really would have liked to have seen is Imperial Recruiter, but whatever, it's not as if I really needed them...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    What exactly are you supposed to Natural Order for? Regal Force?
    Silvos? Giant Solifuge? I don't know exactly.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Yeah, I spent the 5 minutes since I posted looking for the rules on that... Actually never found clarification, but I figured I was wrong when I re-read cascade.
    I guess you're stuck NOing for Silvos, Rogue Elemental.

And while not having Imperial Recruiter in the set is unfortunate, no Goblin Matron is truly a shame.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    You have an advantage in that people do not metagame much against your deck, because it is so uncommon due to port's price. That is something that would be hard to realize through games, but if you build according to online metagame it definitely has an effect on your choices.
    But miracles is about 40% of the 5-0s online (apparently that's what Mengucci counted in an article or video), and miracles doesn't need to adapt much to D&T, so it's not the primary issue online.

Edit, to your edit "Obv. Less port decks, but what gains % points because of that?" : Hard to quantify but it's relevant. A bigger impact is how the value of certain decks changes.
    There's also the fact that online results provide less useful data than paper results when the meta is warped by a lack of Dnt/Lands. This is the case in other formats too (budget, usually red decks are always over-represented) and arguably legacy's cost of entry in paper means that the format is always warped by budget issues. But in this case it's a problem that could have been solved....really, really easily.

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

Seriously, complaining about new sets for a card game is about as first world of a problem as it gets.

Yes, not every pack is going to be worth more than what you paid for it. How has this become a foreign concept for people? Are boosters supposed to be guaranteed positive return investments?

Set looks good and I'm gonna have fun drafting it and gambling on packs here and there.
    Bravo Wizards

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisTom View Post
    Seriously, complaining about new sets for a card game is about as first world of a problem as it gets.

Yes, not every pack is going to be worth more than what you paid for it. How has this become a foreign concept for people? Are boosters supposed to be guaranteed positive return investments?

Set looks good and I'm gonna have fun drafting it and gambling on packs here and there.
    Bravo Wizards
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    The point isn't about value, the online meta is totally skewed around Port being a crazy price. It's such a ridiculous exclusion that I'm genuinely baffled by it. Infernal Tutor too, among some others.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisTom View Post

Bravo Wizards
    My problem with rares and mythic is the spectrum being WAY to harsh, if you buy a box you are spending 250 euros, you shouldnt be able to find a 2 euro mythic and a bunch of 30 cents rares, the spread is so high that you can possibly go like -200 on a box

Also, if the card value is not the main focus printing things like port and misdi could have helped the online enviroment, boosters online have like no value unless you hit a lucky card, there is no middle ground between wasting 10 euros and gaining a bunch
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

All you guys complaining about mythic values and wasted slots, and here I am just wondering when the hell I'm going to get foil High Tide.

Nov 2006
    London

I guess you're stuck NOing for Silvos, Rogue Elemental.
    They could've at least dropped a Terastodon in there since it also works with Reanimator.

As it stands I don't see any reason to even draft NO.

Weird.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    This set is horrible. You are most likely not going to get your $10 back by buying a pack. Not buying this set.

They could've included Show and Tell, Imperial Recruiter, Imperial Seal, Rishadan Port, e.t.c instead they put crap like Inkwell Leviathan at rare.
    Edit: Also, where is Stoneforge Mystic in this set? Crucible of Worlds? Survival of the Fittest?
    They could have printed all that, but then what would go in Eternal Masters 2? You have to remember that reprints are basically money in the bank for WotC/Hasbro, but only if they manage them correctly. Putting a chase card in a regular set or Commander/Duel Deck can push a lot of product, but there's only so many times you can reprint a card before the value tanks and it's no longer a selling point. These "masters" sets are brilliant from the WotC point of view, because the limited print run is somewhat offset by the higher cost, and it doesn't affect the price of cards nearly as much as a normal expansion set or precon. Hell, for some of the mythics it actually moves the price up, because it creates the illusion of supply and drives up demand.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Well, speaking strictly from the MTGO perspective, its not because of this set that you will see an influx of Legacy players.

It didn't make any of the top tiered decks more afordable. But then again, without sorting the manabase issue they will never be able to make access more affordable and since that is restricted to the RL...

At least this set made the Pauper players happy and online they are far more significant than Legacy players.

absence of mtgo reprints is illogical and infuriating, moreso in conjunction with the legacy summer promo program or how to call it... and I don't play Modo nor I'll draft EMA at all

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    good point

Thread Information