Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Eternal Masters - June 10, 2016

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Re: Confirmed: Eternal Masters - June 10, 2016

This is awesome news! I really like the Waste and Force arts.

That said, I feel like a dope for picking up 2nd playsets of Waste and Force this past month...

Without reserved list cards, not sure what I actually want from this set sadly. I mean, having extra playsets of Wasteland and Force of Will will be nice so I don't have to swap cards between decks so often. I really hope this is popular and leads to killing off the reserved list in the long term due to interest in legacy.

Wonder what else we'll get in the set?
    Cockatrice: Bosque

So psyched for this. Anything to increase the legacy player base is fine with me. Not that this wont solve the dual land issue, but it does seem that dual land prices have been going down slightly over the past year or so, wonder if this will spike them again.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Pretty glad they did this.

pretty sad there's not german cards.

Oct 2015
    Paris

I just hope that they do not announce a new format with legacy pool but without the RL when they will release the Eternal Master set.

Otherwise, we can finally have some japanese FoW, that's pretty cool :)

Nov 2010
    Lisbon, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    "The original policy only applied to non-premium cards, meaning that Reserved cards could still be reprinted as a premium-exclusive card (and quite a number of cards had been reprinted such way). Starting in 2011, no cards on the reserved list would be printed in either premium or non-premium form."
    The reserved list was created on the basis to hold any reprint from devaluation of cards. If I am a player holding a lot of let's say Mox Diamonds, I could have easily filed a lawsuit against Hasbro to be compensated for the damages I got from the FTV printing. Premium or non premium, a reprint is a reprint.

Its my opinion, the reserved list is purely non-sense and mark my words.. One day they will reprint the dual lands. It could take 5, 10 or 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Force of Will is Mythic. Wasteland is Rare.
    Whatever else is in there, this is already pretty good. Now let's just hope for a large print run.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Who the hell cares? With the drastic cut in Legacy events starting this year having some staples isn't going to change squat. Wotc just playing with your balls by releasing some product to make money off a format they do nothing to maintain. We might get back two gps a year that we can all play at and not these concurrent bs weekends. Set will no doubt sell, but I'm already thinking what they can do for set 2. Either way BB duals ftw.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

So the source that had the good info was right? Going back and reading the highly dubious posts about why this set was highly dubious is pretty funny.

Mar 2010
    Houston, TX

Wonder what the odds are for getting snow duals? IMO that's the best way to get around the RL for duals.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomLotus View Post
    Wonder what the odds are for getting snow duals? IMO that's the best way to get around the RL for duals.
    Plateau be in the basic land slot lol.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomLotus View Post
    I'm pretty sure the reserved list doesn't "allow" functional reprints :(

*@Plateau, I have a friend playing Painter, mono red version. He's trying to pimp his deck, and want beta plateau's too, but as he said, "Who wants to pay 500$ for black border toilet paper?"

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Wotc just playing with your balls
    I think we will see the Legacy tournament scene grow again in 2017. Not sure whether that will be WotC, SCG, or a SCG competitor, but the player base is huge right now.

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post

*@Plateau, I have a friend playing Painter, mono red version. He's trying to pimp his deck, and want beta plateau's too, but as he said, "Who wants to pay 500$ for black border toilet paper?"
    What about a strictly better "when this land enters the battlefield, look at the top card of your library" :)

(clearly notsrs)

Oct 2013
    Portugal

It is growing in Europe. The amount of big tournaments doubled(or tripled?) from last year

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Hold on to your Duals, their prices are about to go up. Also now I am forced to make a unmakeable choice, what do I hate more, the old Force art or the new boarder? (Yea, you can tell at me now.)

Who wants to bet that now we see Stoneforge unbanned in Modern?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

The part about being designed for draft, and leading off with Commander have me a bit worried about the sets contents.

I get the feeling there will be to much EDH and useless filler, and not enough cards playable outside of EDH.

I am also worried about this being a low print run set like Modern Masters, and not enough getting printed to actually make a dent in physical prices. Tempest Remasters was available for less than a month if I recall correctly, and we all know what they tried to pull with VMA.

I fear that this set will cause dual land prices will get more out of hand which is discouraging me from buying the last 15 cards I need to finish my first legacy deck. It is hard to justify getting a dual land when you might be priced out of the last five you need. Otherwise, it is good to see that they are trying to address some of the price issues.

Oh, this comes up all the time. The Reserve List only prohibits them from making functional reprints. If a card has new mechanics, it's not a functional reprint. Now, that said, the whole legal challenge to the Reserve List boils down to mushy-mushy equity anyway, since the claim that Jerkoff Collector Conglomerate or whoever they care about would likely bring is a promissory estoppel / unfair business practices claim. So, Hasbro's legal team likely has to think about whether a mechanical change to a card is so minor that the aforesaid Jerkoff could claim it was not actually a change at all, and thus a violation of WotC's promise. That's the nuts and bolts at play when WotC talks about the "Spirit" of the Reserve List.

So, in the case of Fork -> Reverberate, the question is whether changing the color of the copied spell actually makes any difference to the function of the card. There's a fair case that it doesn't; after all, who plays Blue Elemental Blast, anyway? 2010's version of Painter? In the case of Snow Duals, there's a stronger case to make because there are actually lots of cards that interact and care about Snow mana and snow lands. It's a scale, but it's not hard for WotC to print mechanically distinct cards with the same power level as those on the Reserve List. They choose not to do so.

ANYWAY

Let's try to think about what's in this set and what's out. Since it has to be draftable, and presumably intended to help Legacy at least a little bit, one would assume we see Legacy archetypes in each color. I don't know what the color combinations would be... but here's my initial guess at what cards would be in consideration:

Blue: Merfolk
    White: Death and Taxes
    Black: Pox
    Red: Goblins or Burn
    Green: Elves

Blue-White: Miracles
    Blue-Black: Storm or Reanimator
    Blue-Red: Delver
    Blue-Green: Shardless
    White-Black: Zombardment/Tokens?
    White-Red: uh... Burn?
    White-Green: Maverick
    Black-Red: more... burn?
    Black-Green: Nic Fit
    Red-Green: Belcher

EDIT: The nice thing is that very few of these archetypes rely on reserve list cards for their core functionality.

Mar 2010
    Houston, TX

Not functionally the same, no. Snow does other things, though... Opens up other interactions (that are probably meaningless in Legacy, but whatever). I think they could do it.

Thread Information