Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Eternal Masters - June 10, 2016

Re: Confirmed: Eternal Masters - June 10, 2016

Yeah, people seem really negative on it after the full spoiler but I'm still really excited for my box.

The mtgo oversights are disappointing but it's still one of the coolest collections of cards they've ever done.

I think it's funny how blatant the front-loading of the spoilers were, you think they would've saved something good for last. But I'm still calling it the best reprint-only set ever.

Now I just need to go back to plotting how I'm going to get my stupid Imperial Recruiters...

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    An awful lot of pissing and moaning going on in here. The set is literally packed full of ultra powerful cards. If everyone got everything they wanted, the set would be 400 cards and there would be nothing left to print for EM2.
    Eh, people are probably just mad because it looked like it was not only going to be a lot of fun in limited, but also have pretty good EV to justify the cost of the events. Now that the full list is out, it still looks like a lot of fun, but the value just isn't what it looked like it was going to be after the first handful of spoilers.

I somewhat agree though, they know these things are an absolute goldmine, but they have to manage their "reprint equity" well to keep it that way. I just wish the packs were slightly cheaper like the original MM. That set felt a lot closer to breaking even on limited events.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Holy shit am I salty about that mythic Sphinx. They just couldn't help themselves to put a fucking Comet Storm in the god damn set. I'm OK and even enthusiastic about cards here for Limited purposes or even just for nostalgia. At least there is a reason and the entire set can't be jam packed with value. But there is no reason for a thrice printed bulk rare like Sphinx to be in this set at mythic. GG.
    Calm down, sparky. Before they printed Blightsteel / Griselbrand / Emrakul, Sphinx was in the rotation with Inkwell and Darksteel as a Tinkerbot of choice, and it sometimes even popped up in Oath alongside such all-stars as Terrastadon and Iona. It's a fine choice for a card to include in Eternal Masters.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    I think it's funny how blatant the front-loading of the spoilers were, you think they would've saved something good for last. But I'm still calling it the best reprint-only set ever.

Now I just need to go back to plotting how I'm going to get my stupid Imperial Recruiters...
    I hate to feed into the negativity because I'm still excited for the set, but I just hate how there was no bomb card at the end and they previewed Berserk as the "Card of the Day" in "honor of EMA" and then NOT include it. Kind of a dick move.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    Not including Flusterstorm is inexcusable.
    I stand corrected.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Wow, what a great set. I am more than pleased with this set. It is a little disturbing how many people are really upset about the cards selected to include in this set. They need to settle down and realize that thier expectations were inappropriate. Arguing over whether a single card is included or not included in a reprint set is a stupid waste of time. Every set needs to have chase cards, other highly valued cards, mid grade cards, and chaff. It is a formula that works, sells cards, gives discussion boards something to discuss, and gives customers a win the lottery/get shafted/did okay feelings when they open packs.

A pack of cards will not have positive expected value on the secondary market. If the set was more loaded, like including port, fluster storm, recruiter, mana drain, Zendikar fetches, and all the other stuff people expected to get, retailers wouldn't sell the set for 10 dollars a pack. Then people would be upset that they can't afford to get a decent amount of packs from the set.

The set rocks, anyone that flipped out about the cards selected should just relax.

To those people who flipped out. Would you rather not have the set than have the set in its current design. If your answer is yes, stop posting, it is a waste of your time and ours. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by ramanujan View Post
    Wow, what a great set. I am more than pleased with this set. It is a little disturbing how many people are really upset about the cards selected to include in this set. They need to settle down and realize that thier expectations were inappropriate. Arguing over whether a single card is included or not included in a reprint set is a stupid waste of time. Every set needs to have chase cards, other highly valued cards, mid grade cards, and chaff. It is a formula that works, sells cards, gives discussion boards something to discuss, and gives customers a win the lottery/get shafted/did okay feelings when they open packs.

A pack of cards will not have positive expected value on the secondary market. If the set was more loaded, like including port, fluster storm, recruiter, mana drain, Zendikar fetches, and all the other stuff people expected to get, retailers wouldn't sell the set for 10 dollars a pack. Then people would be upset that they can't afford to get a decent amount of packs from the set.

The set rocks, anyone that flipped out about the cards selected should just relax.

To those people who flipped out. Would you rather not have the set than have the set in its current design. If your answer is yes, stop posting, it is a waste of your time and ours. Just my 2 cents.
    Not reprinting Rishadan Port online has been a glaring issue for years and they've missed probably the best chance yet to reprint it. Of course people are angry.

The card selection is overall fine - the amount of rarity upshifts is not. And that causes problems with the online EV, which is abyssal.

Overall, a great set for paper. For MTGO, it's "Wasteland Lottery 2: Electric Boogaloo", which is terrible.

EMA will still sell well, and we'll get an EMA2 in the future. They have to stagger some of the high demand cards to keep the product relevant in the future.

My biggest gripe is a lack of land destruction. I liked drafts when Stone Rain was a common.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Not reprinting Rishadan Port online has been a glaring issue for years and they've missed probably the best chance yet to reprint it. Of course people are angry.

The card selection is overall fine - the amount of rarity upshifts is not. And that causes problems with the online EV, which is abyssal.

Overall, a great set for paper. For MTGO, it's "Wasteland Lottery 2: Electric Boogaloo", which is terrible.
    You have a fair point there. I must admit that the MTGO perspective isn't one I understand. I apologize for not scoping my statement to be paper. I am paper, all the way. I tested MTGO in Beta when they were allowing free torment drafts and that is it.

Dude what? Sinkhole and Wastlend! Oh yah both at rare, I get your point...

So this set has ~ 20 Money Cards. Means of course you loose money if you open packs (that is obvious) but you still have a good chance to get a goody if you win a draft!

Did someone expect to earn money for buying boosters? If yes, magic probably the wrong hobby for you...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

And Vindicate. Most aggressively priced land destruction suite in a set ever.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Dude what? Sinkhole and Wastlend! Oh yah both at rare, I get your point...

So this set has ~ 20 Money Cards. Means of course you loose money if you open packs (that is obvious) but you still have a good chance to get a goody if you win a draft!

Did someone expect to earn money for buying boosters? If yes, magic probably the wrong hobby for you...
    Playing limited is not a way to make money unless you draft all the good stuff then leave.

If you bought a lotus years ago you maid money of that set of crap you left to the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    And Vindicate. Most aggressively priced land destruction suite in a set ever.
    Vindicate is also rare.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

I think the big winner's here are pauper and EDH commander. Maybe they should've changed their marketing/branding for it, I think a lot of people read this as "Legacy Masters", which I don't think that's even a possibility with a reserved list. Better marketing I think by WotC would've fixed this.

I'm as pumped to draft this set as I am that I didn't pre-order a box of it. Limited looks fun AF, though I think white looks a little OP.

The set seems fine to me. Spoilers were a bit front loaded, but they always are. When is the mass release of cards at the end of the spoiler ever notable for eternal constructed formats? That's when they announce the limited fodder. This set is going to bring down the entry price on several decks, and if you've already bought into the format enough to have the lands, the price is going to go down quite a bit more which will make switching decks vastly easier, perhaps making the format a bit more dynamic.

Yeah, it'll be nice to pick up some of those cards I've been missing.

I certainly regret, a couple of months ago, deciding to go in on Entombs instead of Mox Diamonds. They were about the same price at one point.

I'm still slightly disappointed about Imperial Recruiter, I was hoping to get those. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

Apr 2014
    phillipines

no snap and lotv,maybe on the next EM2
    Live and Let Live

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by big_ticket View Post
    no snap and lotv,maybe on the next EM2
    Both are far more likely to be Modern Masters cards
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information