Thread: [Rumor] New format?

[Rumor] New format?

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...tructed-format

People think it's going to be eternal minus the reserved list.

Thoughts?

How will this impact legacy? it will gut certain decks for sure.

Re: [Rumor] New format?

Quote Originally Posted by AznSeal View Post

Thoughts?

Ugh.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Right now there is nothing to say the sky is falling and no prof of anything. The roumor started when someone on YouTube started suggesting, with no evidence, that the rumored "Eternal Masters" would mean that a new format called "Eternal" would be made. He seemed to be talking out of his own desire and less out of any real grounding information. (At the time EM was a rumor and not one had any real info.)

As for the Maro thing, its not an if, in the future something like Pauper, EDH or maybe an extended Modern format could show up. They are not going to be able to cut the legs out of Legacy though because they do not control the format past the Ban list. The rest of the formats survival is on us and I think we do a dam good job of keeping it alive.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Maro frequently replies "When" to things like this because "If" is a solid yes/no and "when" is a maybe
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by AznSeal View Post

Thoughts?

They've already done that. It's called Modern.

He's just saying there will be new constructed formats in the future, it could be next month or in ten years. It could be something like Commander, Pauper or 93/94.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Just noticed that the post is from November last year. Not that it makes it irrelevant, but yeah, just keep in mind.

Let's assume for the sake of speculation say that this rumor was true, and that all reserved list cards were banned in Legacy.
    Wouldn't that somehow - ironically - violate the spirit of the reserved list?

From what I can gather, the reserved list was announced as a means to ensure the long term value of collectible cards over time.
    The 'no reprint' policy was meant to ensure that the value of reserved cards wasn't diminished by a future increase in supply.

However, at the same time it was discovered that the collectibility (and hence value) of a Magic card isn't determined by supply alone, but also by its strength for game-play purposes.
    So, if a card is in high demand for tournament play, it will be worth more.
    Today that may seem like a self evident truth, but back then game-play and colletibility aspects weren't seen as intertwined like that.

What this means is that, if suddenly reserved list cards were banned, they would be much less relevant for game-play purposes, and their value would drop accordingly.
    Which seems to be directly against the stated purpose of the reserved list.

I`m sorry to repeat myself between threads, but can we please stop calling this a rumor? It isn`t. It`s baseless speculation, which is not the same thing. Nobody has leaked info or hinted at such. It`s just something that has snowballed from that "what if" thought experiment article on Goldfish. MaRo refusing to deny that there will be a new constructed format at some point in the history of the game is scarcely a hint toward anything at all. There is nothing here. If there is some kind of basis for this so-called rumor, I haven`t seen it.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    Let's assume for the sake of speculation say that this rumor was true, and that all reserved list cards were banned in Legacy.
    Wouldn't that somehow - ironically - violate the spirit of the reserved list?

From what I can gather, the reserved list was announced as a means to ensure the long term value of collectible cards over time.
    The 'no reprint' policy was meant to ensure that the value of reserved cards wasn't diminished by a future increase in supply.

However, at the same time it was discovered that the collectibility (and hence value) of a Magic card isn't determined by supply alone, but also by its strength for game-play purposes.
    So, if a card is in high demand for tournament play, it will be worth more.
    Today that may seem like a self evident truth, but back then game-play and colletibility aspects weren't seen as intertwined like that.

What this means is that, if suddenly reserved list cards were banned, they would be much less relevant for game-play purposes, and their value would drop accordingly.
    Which seems to be directly against the stated purpose of the reserved list.
    While you might be right I have the impression that for WotC it is all about avoiding letigation. I think the reserved only mentions reprints, not other measures that might decrease the value so I think they could get away with that scott free. They might still upset the collector cartel but from what I understand they (WotC) wanted to get rid of the reserved list in part because that's what a lot of their player base wanted. But they were afraid to, not because of a potential negative player reaction, but out of fear of getting sued.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information