Thread: How to Build a Sideboard

Bryant Cook

How to Build a Sideboard

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Re: How to Build a Sideboard

Good article. It gives the reader a nice grasp on how to handle building a sideboard.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I killed the huge banner. Site instantly became more usable. Will comment on article later.

EDIT: Actual article is very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Good article. It might be picking nits, but your statement of Leyline of Sanctity not interacting with Liliana of the Veil isn't quite accurate since it shuts down her -2 and -6 ability.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Good article. It might be picking nits, but your statement of Leyline of Sanctity not interacting with Liliana of the Veil isn't quite accurate since it shuts down her -2 and -6 ability.
    In the context of TES Leyline of Sanctity does not interact with the one ability that is relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    In the context of TES Leyline of Sanctity does not interact with the one ability that is relevant.
    Right, but he mentions Stoneblade (both before Leyline when talking about Hydroblast and after when talking about Grafdigger's cage) and both of Liliana's minus abilities are extremely relevant against that deck.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Right, but he mentions Stoneblade (both before Leyline when talking about Hydroblast and after when talking about Grafdigger's cage) and both of Liliana's minus abilities are extremely relevant against that deck.
    Oh for sure, guess I need to check my reading comprehension. :)

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Written like a boss

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

So, what should I side in against Storm with Goblins? Eidolon of the Great Revel? Well written article, thank you!
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    So, what should I side in against Storm with Goblins? Eidolon of the Great Revel? Well written article, thank you!
    Not a goblins player myself, but Eidolon is great out of burn and we both are pressing our opponents life total.
    (But isn't goblins playing Thalia as well?) Anyway I like Eidoln is much that I have 2 additional Pyrostatic Pillars (and a Mindbreak Trap) on my sideboard.

I'd be tempted to bring in the Eidolons in a lot of matchups as it is just a great card against cantripping decks in general, so by the standards of the article it's a fine choice (I guess)

____

In the light of this article I am reconsidering my sideboard, trying to follow what you say.
    I'd be greatful for any comments and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    So I've read this article on sideboards and as I plan on attending a small event next week I am reconsidering my sideboard.

For reference this is the main I settled on:

For a meta snapshot: Last 30 player event had in top 8: 3 Miracles, 2 ANT, 1 OmniTell, 1 BUG Delver and 1 Red Stompy (he he).
    As thats to small to gone for it specifically I will take the Decks to Beat section into account as well.

So.
    Sidboard-lile stuff we have in the main:
    4 Eidolon for Storm
    3 Sulfuric Vortex for Miracles
    (1 Searing Blood, DnT, Stoneblade, Delver, Elves)

Sideboard cards I am sure of:
    2 Pyrostatic Pillar and 1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Smash to Smithereens (even tho Stoneblade isn't Dtb it is just a hallmark, DnT and Stompy are targeted)

most likely some number of Pyroblasts.

It looks like we don't want any gravehate (looking at he meta) and it might even be the Reanimator Matchup is just for the Acceptance section... What do you think?
    "is not easy
    for me
    u r a champion, it is easier" - some cockatrice guy

Thread Information