Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCG Louisville -20/32 Eldrazi

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

SCG Louisville -20/32 Eldrazi

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...ry=US&limit=50

Wow...

There are 6 flavors but all build upon the same shell.
    5 Affinity, 7 Other.

Re: SCG Louisville -20/32 Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Wow...

5 Affinity, 7 Other.
    It is just occupying 62,5% of the top 32 places Kappa

Day 2 metagame share was 31/64 = 48,4%

Just saying.

Greetings,
    Kathal

PS: For myself I will try to avoid to play on any Modern event pre April bannings.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

I am curious where those players were in the standings at the end of day 1, or more specifically what were the stats for the top 32 at the end of day 1.

However, we also need to consider that the SCG scene tends to have allot of players copying whatever list just won/is being hyped (and SCG has been hyping eldrazi), and the creature base for Eldrazi is Std. legal (from sets that were heavily opened due to chasing those rare shiny lands) with no mythics making it cheap and easy to assemble, so if you already have the eyes building the decks quickly is not very hard (when the lists came out from the PT I looked at them and was missing 1 urborg and the side board gut shots which I thought I had somewhere towards able to build either of the 3 types in the top 8)

The main problem is not eldrazi but that modern does not have the density of strong control or combo decks at the moment to counterbalance the aggro decks, and eldrazi is the best aggro deck at the moment. Wizards threw a major monkey wrench in the gears right as eldrazi came in, and the aggro decks are the only ones who have had time to adapt so far.

Another part of the problem is modern seems to be too dependent on targeted sideboard cards that kill 1-2 decks and are useless elsewhere. which means you either run out of space, or run to many 1-2 ofs in your board to reliably draw the hate.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    However, we also need to consider that the SCG scene tends to have allot of players copying whatever list just won/is being hyped (and SCG has been hyping eldrazi), and the creature base for Eldrazi is Std. legal (from sets that were heavily opened due to chasing those rare shiny lands) with no mythics making it cheap and easy to assemble, so if you already have the eyes building the decks quickly is not very hard (when the lists came out from the PT I looked at them and was missing 1 urborg and the side board gut shots which I thought I had somewhere towards able to build either of the 3 types in the top 8)
    I mean, do we really need to consider "hype" when Eldrazi legitimately is the best deck in the format?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This certainly seems like another Survival-era thing again.

Slightly different in the sense that Eye really is broken in Modern, but rather than build other decks to beat Eldrazi, people are just building Eldrazi to beat Eldrazi.

Eye will be banned. The only question is how much face do they want to save, versus how much profit they want to make. That will determine if it comes down with Shadows (i.e. before Oath is OOP) or they wait until Oath really is OOP.

I am pretty sure they want that latter, but results like this might force their hand.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

It would be nonsense if they don't do anything in April. What reasonable argument is there for leaving eldrazi in the format as is when the current banlist includes the cards it does? I'm pretty confident it's treasure cruising it's way out of here in a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    ... What reasonable argument is there for leaving eldrazi in the format as is when the current banlist includes the cards it does?...
    The reasons that I can come up with have to do with venal motivations, or that WotC is not a particularly agile company. Maybe they've already printed a bunch of eldrazi hate chase cards in the next set and are just waiting to publish.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The reasons that I can come up with have to do with venal motivations, or that WotC is not a particularly agile company. Maybe they've already printed a bunch of eldrazi hate chase cards in the next set and are just waiting to publish.
    If they want to perpetuate the cash grab, yes, a statement like "we are aware that Eldrazi are currently preforming disproportially in Modern, however, we will wait and see how the meta reacts to the new cards in Shadows" could be made. Or some other nonsense like that, to keep the sales rolling until Oath is OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Wow...

5 Affinity, 7 Other.
    Brainstorm, Ponder, Force of Will, Blue Fetches wave hello.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Eye of Ugin shouldn't be banned. It's a pillar of the format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Eye of Ugin shouldn't be banned. It's a pillar of the format.
    Pointing at Twin.

Greetings,
    Kathal

PS: Just because something is a pillar won't make it safe vs a ban.

Jul 2013
    Detroit, MI

I don't get the whole "leaving Eldrazi as a deck in Modern makes WotC lots of money" argument. Can someone explain that to me? Are competitive players really buying booster packs of OGW to get Eldrazi Mimics and Reality Smashers? I don't see anyone interested in playing a broken deck in competitive tournaments buying booster packs like a very casual player.

Also, ugh to the stats from SCG Louisville. I'm about 90% not attending GP Detroit.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    I don't get the whole "leaving Eldrazi as a deck in Modern makes WotC lots of money" argument. Can someone explain that to me? Are competitive players really buying booster packs of OGW to get Eldrazi Mimics and Reality Smashers? I don't see anyone interested in playing a broken deck in competitive tournaments buying booster packs like a very casual player.

Also, ugh to the stats from SCG Louisville. I'm about 90% not attending GP Detroit.
    Well, no, they don't buy boosters. But if vendors want to have Mimics (and the rest) in stock, where else are they going to get them but boosters?

Maybe this sounds rude, but I'm not sure how conceptualize sales in a way that the singles market for a brand new set doesn't drive booster sales.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Competitive players who are not also collectors are going to buy the singles.
    The single have to come from opened booster packs.
    Packs have to be opened in order to support the demand.

Compeative players are not buying packs directly, but they are still supporting booster purchases.
    Buying singles from casuals/drafters usually ends up going into the entry for their next draft, and helping them justify the money on their hobby.
    Buying singles from merchants supports the merchant who probably got the card from opening product, or from a casual player/drafter as trade.

Demand for in print and currently being drafted cards helps fuel drafts of that product, which produces sales for WotC.
    It is the out of print cards that competitive player demand does not noticeably increase WotC profit margins, but even then there is probably a small increase from a few casuals finding the card in their binders/boxes and trading it in to pay for a draft.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Brainstorm, Ponder, Force of Will, Blue Fetches wave hello.
    Well... when you put it that way, I guess the format is fine.

Jul 2013
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    Buying singles from merchants supports the merchant who probably got the card from opening product, or from a casual player/drafter as trade.

EDIT: deleted comment about limited supply of Eldrazi Temples; I didn't realize that Eldrazi Temple was an uncommon. Nevermind, there's a near unlimited amount of Temples available and still lots of Eyes, so the lands aren't the supply choke point.
    Last edited by Timber; 02-23-2016 at 03:08 PM.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Eldrazi in modern is an infectious disease. Its killing off everyones desire to play and will inevitably lead to a tipping point.

If they ban Eye in April and not temple, the other way around or both: things can smooth out a bit.
    If they don't ban them and milk out the printings, modern will regress into extended.
    If they YUGIOH it and print cards to specifically hate out eldrazi like so kind of back woods, inbreeding attempt, shit will hit the fan and force everyone out.

For me, I will only play a fun deck(RG ScapeTrapBreach) in small events and keep Jund in my room till eldrazi is gone or its smart of me to sell out of this falling format.

ALSO: temple was a in clash deck or something. infinite supply.

EDIT: Infiltrated Timber's safe zone
    MTGO: Ricardio

Nic Fit: legacy's magical EDH deck

I came here to party and resolve prime time triggers.

"Well, I ain't calling you a truther." -Josh

IMGUR:http://ricardio69.imgur.com/all/

Jul 2013
    Detroit, MI

Don't compare dumb stuff like trading cards to cancer.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I'm disappointed in the no emergency ban statement by Aaron Forsythe. They really dropped the ball on this one, how hard is it to see that 8 sol lands in Modern is more broken than anything ever was before this? They've gotten a completely fucked up SCG metagame to prove it's out of control. Why do people insist there's a counter to everything and we should let the metagame settle? Sometimes it isn't just people jumping on a bandwagon because it's the flavor of the month, sometimes it's because there is an insurmountable power differential between decks.

I'm not going to Modern tournaments until it's banned, and I've seen plenty more who share the sentiment. I don't want to play with or against a broken lands deck in Modern because the format has no checks and balances for that type of thing. Turn 3 Fulminator Mage? Blood Moon? Any strategy that would heavily attempt to stop the broken lands is going to eat it to a bunch of free Eldrazi Mimics on turn 1 anyway.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    I'm disappointed in the no emergency ban statement by Aaron Forsythe. They really dropped the ball on this one, how hard is it to see that 8 sol lands in Modern is more broken than anything ever was before this? They've gotten a completely fucked up SCG metagame to prove it's out of control. Why do people insist there's a counter to everything and we should let the metagame settle? Sometimes it isn't just people jumping on a bandwagon because it's the flavor of the month, sometimes it's because there is an insurmountable power differential between decks.

I'm not going to Modern tournaments until it's banned, and I've seen plenty more who share the sentiment. I don't want to play with or against a broken lands deck in Modern because the format has no checks and balances for that type of thing. Turn 3 Fulminator Mage? Blood Moon? Any strategy that would heavily attempt to stop the broken lands is going to eat it to a bunch of free Eldrazi Mimics on turn 1 anyway.
    There have definitely been more busted things in modern than this, trust me. Insisting there is a counter somewhere is lazier than quitting/playing eldrazi till they ban it.

I wouldn't quit modern cold turkey but I would not go to a large event. fulm is too slow on t3 and often times moon is just too slow as well.
    MTGO: Ricardio

Nic Fit: legacy's magical EDH deck

I came here to party and resolve prime time triggers.

"Well, I ain't calling you a truther." -Josh

IMGUR:http://ricardio69.imgur.com/all/

Thread Information