Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCG Louisville -20/32 Eldrazi

Jul 2013
    Detroit, MI

Re: SCG Louisville -20/32 Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    . . . how hard is it to see that 8 sol lands in Modern is more broken than anything ever was before this?
    Second.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardio View Post
    There have definitely been more busted things in modern than this, trust me.
    What a silly post. Why would I trust you when you could have actually proven your point with a direct example?

I've been playing Modern from the beginning as well, and there hasn't been anything as busted as this. Punishing Groves combo? Nowhere near as broken. Green Sun Zenith? Oppressive, but not 50% of a day 2 metagame oppressive. Birthing Pod? The best deck for sure at its time, but not by this much. 8post? Not quite as bad, they at least needed to get past turn 3 while building their manabase to really start breaking parity. Amulet Bloom? That deck was dumb as shit but not nearly consistent enough to make this kind of impact. Splinter Twin? Not even that great.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

What a silly post. Why would I trust you when you could have actually proven your point with a direct example?

I've been playing Modern from the beginning as well, and there hasn't been anything as busted as this. Punishing Groves combo? Nowhere near as broken. Green Sun Zenith? Oppressive, but not 50% of a day 2 metagame oppressive. Birthing Pod? The best deck for sure at its time, but not by this much. 8post? Not quite as bad, they at least needed to get past turn 3 while building their manabase to really start breaking parity. Amulet Bloom? That deck was dumb as shit but not nearly consistent enough to make this kind of impact. Splinter Twin? Not even that great.
    BLAZING INFECT.

You sir, are silly. (removes silk glove and smacks Phoenix on the beak. glove bursts into flames)
    MTGO: Ricardio

Nic Fit: legacy's magical EDH deck

I came here to party and resolve prime time triggers.

"Well, I ain't calling you a truther." -Josh

IMGUR:http://ricardio69.imgur.com/all/

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

BLAZING INFECT.
    Close, but required more to go right. It didn't have nearly the metagame presence, and more cards answered it. Obviously deserved the ban as well.

I'm disappointed in the no emergency ban statement by Aaron Forsythe.
    I'm not. In fact, I'm relieved that they're sticking with only banning things at the proper times so that people can at least be secure in their decks between announcements. The out-of-nowhere Splinter Twin ban already made me lose a lot of confidence in any deck being safe, and them saying I can't even be secure between announcements would probably drive me off completely.

Though I'm not sure why anyone would expect an emergency ban to begin with, considering they have never banned cards between banning announcements ever (Memory Jar, while usually called an "emergency ban," was only an emergency in that they announced it later than usual, not that the ban itself happened between announcements).

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Eldrazi in modern is an infectious disease. Its killing off everyones desire to play and will inevitably lead to a tipping point.
    Eldrazi is a symptom, not the disease.
    The root cause lies in how modern is treated and how WotC goes about designing cards.

The biggest problems are the turn 4 rule (needs to go as if aggro decks are killing on turn 4 sometimes 3 a combo that is only reliable for turn 4 and might not b able to go off until later is too slow to bother playing), and the lack of necessary cards for decent control strategy to emerge (many missing for no reason other then bad feels).

The health of MtG always rested on the balance of Aggro, Control and Combo stratagems and their hybrids. In modern wizards has castrated any strategy that does not include aggro. leaving us with nothing but aggro and hybrid-aggro decks in the format, and he best aggro deck against other aggro decks will naturally rise to the top. Right now that is Eldrazi because wizards pushed them way to much (several are undercosted like mimic which should either require colorless mana or be at least 3 mana, probably both) and did not have the common sense to check how they interacted with the older eldrazi cards like the ones they re-printed in MM2015 last year.

People have been complaining about issues with modern for years, Eldrazi is just the consequence of some of those issues running rampant.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

I believe it may be an overreaction by wotc. Seeing how blue is the single best color in legacy but the single worst color in modern is blue, they make every attempt to push it down and keep it down. I am more green mage than the next guy but I think a balance to the color pie in formats is very necessary. Blue is also the weakest color in standard barring jace but then again, who cares.

I believe it may be an overreaction by wotc. Seeing how blue is the single best color in legacy but the single worst color in modern is blue, they make every attempt to push it down and keep it down. I am more green mage than the next guy but I think a balance to the color pie in formats is very necessary. Blue is also the weakest color in standard barring jace but then again, who cares.
    I think you misspelled White.

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I think you misspelled White.
    I am fairly certain blue is the most underperforming color currently as well as the weakest. There is no top tier blue deck. Every other color is represented.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I am fairly certain blue is the most underperforming color currently as well as the weakest. There is no top tier blue deck. Every other color is represented.
    You have no idea how refreshing this actually is after spending most of my time playing a format that's 80% blue. I also look forward to people claiming 4+ different color combinations of Eldrazi isn't diversity but 4+ different color combinations of Delver is. They share the same shell, but they're completely different!
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    You have no idea how refreshing this actually is after spending most of my time playing a format that's 80% blue. I also look forward to people claiming 4+ different color combinations of Eldrazi isn't diversity but 4+ different color combinations of Delver is. They share the same shell, but they're completely different!
    Delver decks and eldrazi decks operate on the same core of cards. One is temple and eye, the other is daze and stifle(hymn)

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

There has been a blue deck in every modern pro tour final iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

LOL

So, till some weeks ago there was always at least one U centric deck in Tier one, most of the times a combination of: Merfolk, Twin, Delver, Grixis Control/Midrange, Jeskai Control/Midrange, Storm and a couple others (like UW Control)

Heck, even atm the best Eldrazi deck is a Ux based version, since Drowner of Hope is just bonkers in the Mirror. Merfolk is again a Tier 1 deck even in the current T0 infested Eldrazi meta.

Now, we look at white. The only W decks which have done well in the past and were part of the Tier one was: Junk, BW Tokens, Abzan Company, Melira Pod and Jeskai Control

Atm only Abzan Company is viable, everything else is either banned (Pod) or just gets stomped by Eldrazi. And even in that deck it plays W only for the SB cards and Path to Exile (along some bullet creatures, which also exist in B).

Even when we are talking about the history, W was always the most underperforming colour in Modern, the only time it really saw play was last year after the Pro Tour with Abzan (because Lingering Souls was such a good card in that metagame).

Also, saying that U has the weakest cards in Modern is nonsense. Snapcaster, Serum Visions, Cryptic, Remand and Mana Leak are one of the strongest cards we have. Also, there are a ton of decent U cards too, like Jace Architect of Thought, Delver, Condescend, Repeal, Echoing Truth, Dispel, Negate, Vendillion Clique, Spreading Seas,... . When we are talking about Ux cards, there is Electrolyze, Supreme Verdict and the manlands (Tarpit and Collonade) and several other decent cards (e.g. Esper Charm and Countersquall).

W has: Lingering Souls, Path, Kitchen Finks (kinda) and Resto Angel as MD cards. However, the W SB cards are bonkers in Kor Firewalker, Worship, Timely Reinforcement, Stony Silence, Kataki, Suppression Field, Aven Mindscencor, Rest in Peace and a couple more.

Matter of fact: If you are running W in Modern it is 90% of the times because of the great SB cards.

Greetings,
    Kathal

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

This appears to be the case now (Blue was indeed astonishingly unrepresented at the last PT), but hasn't been historically.

UWR Control, RUG Scapeshift, Twin, and Pyromancer's Ascension have been staples of the Modern format basically since its inception. As Kathal points out, there are many good Blue cards for Modern.

Also, comparisons of Eldrazi's dominance to Brainstorm's in Legacy aren't quite fair. The different Eldrazi decks have a lot more in common than the different Brainstorm decks. I can see the comparison to the flavors of Delver specifically, but while we may see 20/32 Brainstorm decks, we never see that penetration of Delver decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    This appears to be the case now (Blue was indeed astonishingly unrepresented at the last PT), but hasn't been historically.
    You mean the one where there were 0 (yes 0) white cards in the top 8?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sts-2016-02-06

As Patrick Sullivan said, until there are more white cards than blue cards in modern, 'blue underperformance' is just a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    There has been a blue deck in every modern pro tour final iirc.
    Yep. Although, in fairness, until the current one there was always a Green deck, and even including the current one there's always been a Red deck.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Yep. Although, in fairness, until the current one there was always a Green deck, and even including the current one there's always been a Red deck.
    There was 1 green card in 1 of the eldrazi lists...

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Eye of Ugin shouldn't be banned. It's a pillar of the format.
    I can't tell which level of sarcasm this is intented to be, but I like it.

Thread Information