Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy: Take the Crown

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: New set announced - "Conspiracy: The Reign of Brago"

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    I think there are a lot of magic players out there that are into more than one or two formats. It is getting increasingly hard to keep up when you want to get somewhere in Legacy or Modern plus a bit of Standard and still collect cards for Highlander/Commander and other casual decks.
    Back in the day (God I feel old...) you could go to your LGS and expect to find someone who wanted to play Type 2. You could ask if they had Extended, and not feel like an idiot, and everybody knew what Type 1 was (even if most people couldn't afford 300$ for a Lotus.) Now, seeing people playing Standard and asking if they have anything other than Commander is a crapshoot. If people aren't Testing or practicing for a Modern event, they don't play for fun, if you don't recognize them already they probably don't know what Legacy is.

The recent historical growth of the playerbase is HUGE, but I seriously have to wonder how many of they organically move into Modern like WotC likes to believe. I know people who have been playing Standard for 3 years who still couldn't hope to play modern without sinking a few hundred dollars into cards (at least before the Best Deck In Modern was a BFZ/OGW block deck...) and they don't seem to have much interest in playing with old cards.

TL;DR - I suspect WotC is trying to squeeze as much $$$ out of new players before they decide what they actually enjoy playing, and the easiest way to do that is with a new retail produce every 2-3 months. Your average Casual FNM'er is going to pick up a few packs of everything that comes out regardless of how good it is.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I assume they figured out how to spread product between their different audiences more effectively. That would certainly explain two summer sets - EMA for the spikes, Bragaloo 2 for the more casual groups.
    This comes out at the tail end of August, which means it'll drop after the halfway point of "SOI's Small Set" draft lifetime, about the time people start to get sick of drafting a format and want to do something else. EMA comes out in early June and is expensive and (likely) complicated, so it's kind of a niche thing for hardcore drafters and people who like to gamble. Aside from potential Eternal reprints, there's very little overlap in audience between the two - most hardcore drafters I know who liked Modern Masters did not like Conspiracy because of either competitive snobbery or a genuine dislike for multiplayer or CNS's draft fuckery.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Back in my days we've had two sets per year, all of them with (mostly) nice pictures. We were playing cards like Erhnam djinn and River Boa for years before getting tired of them. We also drank red wine and listened to Type O Negative or Hypocrisy. There was one base set each other year (less often than Hypocrisy album). We've spent more money on beer than on Magic, and man, that beer was cheap-ass cheap.
    It was nice times.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The set just lost a card, gained a name change and spoiled it's story.

Well played Wizards, well played.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...g-conspiracy-2

Edit:

I wonder if what we are looking at is the back and forth set up of this sets theme. I am thinking after finding that little bit that he is likely in it and the story is him v Rose.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

This is a really neat idea. One little complaint I have is that I wish they'd named it something like [TITLE]Conspiracy 2[/TITLE][SUBTITLE]Reign of Brago[/SUBTITLE] just so that we'd have something official and consistent to call it.

I'm sitting here laughing at the idea of like one casual who loves Brago, finds out about "Reign of Brago", never hears about Brago's death, and is super said when he starts cracking packs.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Re: New set announced - "Conspiracy: The Empty Throne"

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    This is a really neat idea. One little complaint I have is that I wish they'd named it something like [TITLE]Conspiracy 2[/TITLE][SUBTITLE]Reign of Brago[/SUBTITLE] just so that we'd have something official and consistent to call it.

I'm sitting here laughing at the idea of like one casual who loves Brago, finds out about "Reign of Brago", never hears about Brago's death, and is super said when he starts cracking packs.

No more Brago... May he Rest in Peace

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Anyone else find it curious how they end the page with Brienne of Tarth staring at the throne?
    Like the Dutch always say:"Beter goed gejat, dan slecht bedacht.". Meaning that it is better to steal a good idea, rather then to come up with a new and terrible idea.
    But i would like to believe that this Brienne character will be something like a 4-6 CMC Green and White bomb.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Like the Dutch always say:"Beter goed gejat, dan slecht bedacht.". Meaning that it is better to steal a good idea, rather then to come up with a new and terrible idea.
    But i would like to believe that this Brienne character will be something like a 4-6 CMC Green and White bomb.
    I bet she fights like a man

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I bet she fights like a man

She, no. He'd better be!
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

The set just lost a card, gained a name change and spoiled it's story.

Well played Wizards, well played.

Edit:

I wonder if what we are looking at is the back and forth set up of this sets theme. I am thinking after finding that little bit that he is likely in it and the story is him v Rose.
    Oh God, that's too cute for words. I love the little touch of reducing the number of cards by one to suggest Brago just got killed (again?)

A++, whoever from marketing spent time on a joke that only we few who check DailyMTG every day would get. :)

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Back in my days we've had two sets per year, all of them with (mostly) nice pictures. We were playing cards like Erhnam djinn and River Boa for years before getting tired of them. We also drank red wine and listened to Type O Negative or Hypocrisy. There was one base set each other year (less often than Hypocrisy album). We've spent more money on beer than on Magic, and man, that beer was cheap-ass cheap.
    It was nice times.
    I still do this every Friday night. The only difference is it's called cube and the beer has been replaced by Cognac

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

First time, the gag was nice, but imho, it has overstayed its welcome.

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

Do they think the set name matters that much?
    'Conspiracy 2' would have been fine with me.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

"Conspiracy 2: A Good Day to King or Queen or Kill Hard the Reckoning"

Jelly should just be in charge of naming things.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Resident appellomancer at your service.

Mar 2013

I was mostly right.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...-conspiracy-2?
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Conspiracy 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

So, spoilers start on the 15th of this month, but we get a peek at the new Planeswalker of the set.

Her profile.

Her story.

Presumably the card art:

Perhaps a 'Walker? Her profile alludes to her being a "ghost-assassin" which certainly seems White and Black to me. If she is CMC 3 and doesn't suck that would certainly be interesting.

EDIT: Could someone rename this thread to "Conspiracy 2: Take the Crown" since that is now the name of the set?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    EDIT: Could someone rename this thread to "Conspiracy 2: Take the Crown" since that is now the name of the set?
    Done.

Thread Information