Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldrazi at SCG Philly

Re: Eldrazi at SCG Philly

Eldrazis are too big for a Meekstone to be effective.
    They just become burns on a stick.
    At the fourth they drop you're dead anyway.

Also, Chalice of the void is a card.

May be Mentor for chump blocking + Meekstone for tempo gain but.. how do we lock them out? mm

Ulamog, Cavern and Karakas give them inevitability

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Delvis View Post
    There may be a significant amount of players trying to port their Modern decks to Legacy. If you face one of these, you shouldn't struggle too much. They'll be in way over their head. Unless they get a nut draw, of course - which seems to be what most people on The Source think of the Eldrazi deck in general, that it only wins with god draws. They couldn't be more wrong, but it's their own grave they're digging. I've given up trying to convince people not to dismiss the deck.

The Eldrazi players you should worry about are the ones who play Legacy regularly, know the format better than their immediate family, and have been brewing and testing for around a month to optimize the list. We exist. Members of our group have been playing this deck in tournaments 3-4 times per week for the last month. I think that at least 1 Eldrazi player will make Top 8, but I'd take the over if the O/U is 1.
    I think this is about right. Eldrazi's most difficult tier 1 matchups are D&T, Lands, Shardless, and 4c Loam, and I don't think any of those are unwinnable. I gave my guess in the OP, but if people write the deck off and Storm and Miracles show up in force we could easily see 2 or more copies in the top 8.

It's mostly just elf and D&T that may play Meekstone and they both have infinite blockers.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Varal View Post
    D&T ... infinite blockers.
    mmmm tell me more!

Meekstone is an old pet card of mine from the 4th edition days, so it was actually one of the first things I thought of when it comes to dealing with Eldrazi. Unfortunately though, I can't see it working for a couple reasons. It will often be countered by Chalice, and it's useless against Eldrazi mimic. They'll keep untapping, and going in big every time the Eldrazi player puts another fatty into play.

Due to chalice, it would be my instinct to look for 2 mana cards to fight Eldrazi. You need to get something online fast, but you also need to get it past chalice.

Time to bust out some Peace Talks and Peacekeeper. A small black dude drawing triangles in the ground will stop the onslaught of eldrazi!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Hey, I have been stomping people with a big ass testicle monster for more than a year. These pretenders come onto the scene and all of a sudden our Dark Mistress is not worthy of your fear or respect? You fear this unwashed, untested rabble more than our most unholy? I expected better from all of you.

(Fuck I hope this deck becomes a thing. I want to stomp it so hard...)
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Shardless player here, if anyone is wondering about the matchup it is very slanted in Shardless's favor. How slanted? 10-0 in matches slanted (from results in the MTGO Leagues). I played against Jim Davis the other day and accidentally skipped my 2nd turn g1, still won the game, still won the match. Lost game 2, but only because of a very below average draw past ~ turn 5.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Having recently checked in with the Philadelphia Convention Center, I am here to warn people NOT to enter Floor G, Hall G as per StarCityGames.com. Hope everyone enjoys a nice weekend of M:tG!
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Will there be coverage for this event? If so, when does it begin?
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    Having recently checked in with the Philadelphia Convention Center, I am here to warn people NOT to enter Floor G, Hall G as per StarCityGames.com. Hope everyone enjoys a nice weekend of M:tG!
    Oh c'mon, you can't say that and not tell us what it is!
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Will there be coverage for this event? If so, when does it begin?
    Stream Information: Stream starts at 10:30 EST
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thanks Dice! Is this on Twitch? Usually I only watch footage after the fact, but I'm pretty psyched to see what happens this weekend!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Mar 2013

It begins. DnT v Shardless.

DnT wins. 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Thank you sir!

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Shardless player here, if anyone is wondering about the matchup it is very slanted in Shardless's favor. How slanted? 10-0 in matches slanted (from results in the MTGO Leagues). I played against Jim Davis the other day and accidentally skipped my 2nd turn g1, still won the game, still won the match. Lost game 2, but only because of a very below average draw past ~ turn 5.
    I think this matchup is only in your favor due to less than optimal eldrazi deck construction, though it probably swings back in your favor once we see the new madness cards. Once you start seeing winter orbs and no eldrazi temples, you'll know you're looking at the real deal - I don't think mimic is gonna be in the lists much longer, endless one may be, and TKS will be the core card...so temple's days are probably numbered.

Of the eldrazi you faced, how many were abjectly wrong? (matter reshapers, trinispheres, SSGs)

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Of the eldrazi you faced, how many were abjectly wrong? (matter reshapers, trinispheres, SSGs)
    I would like to see some evidence before I would let someone say that something is abjectly wrong. I think right now you should state that in your opinion it is wrong but the jury is still out.

May 2015
    PDX

I would like to see some evidence before I would let someone say that something is abjectly wrong. I think right now you should state that in your opinion it is wrong but the jury is still out.
    I would direct you to the eldrazi thread. Sufficed to say eye + trinispere is the opposite of a combo. Matter Reshaper doesn't go in the same deck as chalice (you need 1-cost deck manipulation, or you just drew and cast a chump blocker). The three mana point in this deck is largely devoid of meaningful plays, and with access to up to 12 sol lands [not temple], SSG is a dead card if you don't have 2x sol land/ssg/smasher in opening hand (vs no wasteland). This deck is about 2cmc (prison) - 4cmc (tks) - 5/6+ cmc (inevitability) in its colorless iteration.

Thread Information