Thread: Missing Thought Knot Seer triggers

Missing Thought Knot Seer triggers

OK so this Eldrazi deck is the new hotness, and there's a lot of inexperience and/or sloppy players out there that are picking up this deck and smashing faces with it. I've noticed on Cockatrice that many of these players miss a trigger, and it's not the ETB one. "When TKS leaves the battlefield, target oppnenet draws a card." This is the trigger my opponents are missing, and in a comp REL tourney I'd love to call out players on this detrimental trigger they are missing, since it seems to fall on me to remember this every time it happens in a casual game.

What is the best way to call people out on this? When do I call the judge? Lets say it's my turn, I untap, I cast Swords to Plowshares on my opponent's TKS and it resolves. My opponent takes the card and puts in exile, and gains the life. He says nothing else. Presumably it's back on my main phase priority. What should I do there? If I remind him of the trigger I'm just helping him play his deck. The result I would like is for him to get a warning at the very least, for either angle shooting me with "oops forgot" triggers or more likely just sloppy play, that happens to benefit him. Should I just go for another action or pass priority on the phase, and then call the judge when he still says nothing? When the judge comes over and I tell him my opponent missed a trigger (of which I obviously haven't) will it look like I'm the one angle shooting?

Any input from experienced Comp REL players or judges would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Missing Thought Knot Seer triggers

I have seen sloppy play with this card as well, although it was at a standard PPTQ tournament (not exactly the lynchpin of professional play, to be honest). The thing is, the table next to me had two Eldrazi players, both of which had a Thought-Knot Seer on their board, and when they traded and each players' Seer died, both did not say anything about triggers and played on as if nothing was amiss!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If you notice a missed trigger from your opponent's sources, then call a judge.

Sloppy play and a lapse occur from time to time. Warning help to track any pattern of cheating by omission.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Make it clear that you're past the point where the trigger could resolve by doing something that could only be done if the trigger didn't exist (playing something, verbally moving to next phase/step) and then call a judge when your opponent doesn't say anything. Your opponent will get a warning every time and you'll get the draw trigger resolved immediately.

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg2-1/
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Make it clear that you're past the point where the trigger could resolve by doing something that could only be done if the trigger didn't exist (playing something, verbally moving to next phase/step) and then call a judge when your opponent doesn't say anything. Your opponent will get a warning every time and you'll get the draw trigger resolved immediately.

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg2-1/
    Thx cdr that's what I was looking for.

Thread Information