Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And then it hit me..

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: And then it hit me..

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    What do you mean, "Welcome to Legacy"? Legacy is a format largely revolving around 1CMC. Chalice makes it so that only one person can actually participate in the game. The card is un fun to play against, for the vast majority of people. This doesn't mean it's an argument for banning it, but it leads to more nongames than any other card in the format.

*But sure, it's a winning strategy. I don't deny that. That doesn't mean it's fun to play against. A turn 1 chalice on the play is very close to be a winning play.
    Umm, Blood Moon?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Yup, Chalice is unfun to play against. Just like Counter-top, turn 1 Delver with Daze backup, turn 1 combos, Loam/Waste lock, Thalia + Ports, and just about every other strong play that Legacy decks make. At least Chalice requires you to warp your deck around it, unlike Counter-Top which is a one-sided Chalice at several numbers.
    Thank you. Non-miracles players have been abused for several years by one-sided chalices and they get to use brainstorms and ponders and tops IN ADDITION to nullifying opponents' one drops.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

There are many more possibilities to beat countertop, than a turn1 chalice on the play - Daze, Spell Pierce, REB - Counterbalance is a turn 2 play. Chalice is a turn 1 play, on the play. That pretty much means you have to have FoW or lose.

I stand by my argument; Chalice leads to more non-games than any other card in the format. Blood Moon isn't as much a blowout as chalice turn 1 is - Besides are there one deck that plays maindeck blood moon, and that's Painter. That deck is not exactly known for it's consistency.

There's ONE card mentioned anywhere, which can lead to a turn 1 win (much, much, much less consistently than Chalice, that is too) and that's wasteland.

A chalice for one leads people not to PLAY the game. None of the other cards (besides a Blood Moon, for some people, I guess?) makes it impossible. All the cards mentioned by people loving Eldrazi are cards that can actually be fought against. Chalice is a lot like sideboards in modern: You land this haymaker, and you're pretty close to winning the game. Counter-Top doesn't do this, Thalia (Thorn of Amethyst), Wasteland, Rishidan Port.

"You have to construct your deck in order to play Chalice". That's not really true anymore, now, is it? It worked like that before, it doesn't with the new Eldrazi cards, as they actually WANT you to play stuff like Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors anyway. It's not like it's mud with Cloudpost etc.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

While I will admit I am guilty of taking part, I am now going to point out we have a ban thread. Please take the talk about Chalice there.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

You know what's fun? When i* whined about having to play against cantrip.dec 9 games out of 10 making each game feel the same and unfun, people called "us" whiners and losers, and go play modern and whatever. This at 80%+ penetration of cantrip.dec in Legacy. Now that a deck is what, 20% of the meta? and is designed as a counter to cantrip.dec (while still not being an hard counter, see for example grixis delver with angler/pyro/strix etc... which goes even vs it) and is actually PLAYABLE, people whine about "the good old format" despite a format where cantrip.dec is 80% of the meta is an aberration of the last 2-3 years, and not something that was true since the format started existing.

Blue mages crying? boo-fucking-hoo maybe now the cantrip cartel will be only 50% of the meta and you may have an actually sorta unfavorable MU. Seriously after 700 pages of B&R restricted list telling people not to cry over brainstorm being everywhere, i expected something better.

Now the legacy meta could actually have a new pillar , a strategy not fueled by the cantrip cartel that's actually viable. I for one embrace the new Eldrazi Overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post

Now the legacy meta could actually have a new pillar , a strategy not fueled by the cantrip cartel that's actually viable. I for one embrace the new Eldrazi Overlords.
    I don't think WoTC designed the Eldrazi to be dominant in particular, but this new world order with better creatures was inevitably going to change the metagames.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I don't think WoTC designed the Eldrazi to be dominant in particular, but this new world order with better creatures was inevitably going to change the metagames.
    For sure, i don't think WotC actually predict any change, especially after they say things like "we didn't think CoCo would be good in standard". They may be good at designing, but predicting format, well, that may be another story.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

For sure, i don't think WotC actually predict any change, especially after they say things like "we didn't think CoCo would be good in standard". They may be good at designing, but predicting format, well, that may be another story.
    I don't think many people are good at predicting the impact of all cards. I remember people calling TC bad (IIRC, I was guilty of that, too) or calling DRS a shitty BoP/Lavamancer. There are obviously good cards like Abrupt Decay that catch everybodies' attention, but there are also many hidden gems that can only be fully evaluated after seeing them in action.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The crux is that those cheap, undercosted creatures normally feed blue shells first. The unique nature of Eldrazi, their accel and their C requirement are as prohibiting as it can get to prevent blue from abusing them the most.

May 2015
    PDX

I think people need a reality check if they think chalice is less fun to play against than counterbalance. Let's be very clear on this point: you can fight a chalice, but you can't fight counterbalance. More precisely, in the absence of terrible mana curves, you need 10-12 "kill that counterbalance" cards to deal with it; you're actually better off with a sideboard strategy of killing basic plains to shut off half the counterbalance deck - you can also just not play magic (caverns full of boseju).

There is one [terrible] 2cmc answer to counterbalance: Abrupt Decay. Meanwhile you'd be very hard pressed to find any color that has no 2cmc answer to chalice x=1. Chalice does nothing to defend itself from the 2cmc kill-spell, nor is it able to protect itself from the fact that it has 0cmc and can be tampered with by manipulating counters. Even if you suffer from a lack of creativity and want to play legacy like standard (1-for-1 mindless removal format), chalice is waaaaay more manageable than counterbalance (and you don't have to sit through 20 minutes of insufferable top spinning to tell you what you already know: you can't resolve any spell under 3 cmc).

I mean if they printed a Leyline of "remove all counterbalances from decks (and hands) from the game before it starts" it would actually be a 4x in sideboards.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

That is also true. Chalice is an extremely easy to remove permanent that is played in a deck that play no permission. Abrupt decay , shattering spree, ancient grudges etc... are all your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I think people need a reality check if they think chalice is less fun to play against than counterbalance.
    Just a thought - maybe people are worried they will have to play against both?

Everyone assumes that the haters are mostly sour cantrip players. What if the people complaining about Shops are the same people who complain about Miracles and the cantrips. Shops could be just like Lands and D&T - another nonblue option that is not the sort of nonblue deck most people want to play.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    There are many more possibilities to beat countertop, than a turn1 chalice on the play - Daze, Spell Pierce, REB - Counterbalance is a turn 2 play. Chalice is a turn 1 play, on the play. That pretty much means you have to have FoW or lose.

I stand by my argument; Chalice leads to more non-games than any other card in the format. Blood Moon isn't as much a blowout as chalice turn 1 is - Besides are there one deck that plays maindeck blood moon, and that's Painter. That deck is not exactly known for it's consistency.

There's ONE card mentioned anywhere, which can lead to a turn 1 win (much, much, much less consistently than Chalice, that is too) and that's wasteland.

A chalice for one leads people not to PLAY the game. None of the other cards (besides a Blood Moon, for some people, I guess?) makes it impossible. All the cards mentioned by people loving Eldrazi are cards that can actually be fought against. Chalice is a lot like sideboards in modern: You land this haymaker, and you're pretty close to winning the game. Counter-Top doesn't do this, Thalia (Thorn of Amethyst), Wasteland, Rishidan Port.

"You have to construct your deck in order to play Chalice". That's not really true anymore, now, is it? It worked like that before, it doesn't with the new Eldrazi cards, as they actually WANT you to play stuff like Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors anyway. It's not like it's mud with Cloudpost etc.
    This is entirely untrue. There's not a single deck in Legacy that solely consists of 1-drops, and there are some commonly played maindeck answers like Vial, Cavern, and especially Abrupt Decay. There are decks that don't run a single basic or red spell though. For those decks, a turn 0/1 Blood Moon means you can't play a single spell unless you have Force or already landed a Deathrite.

I don't think either is prohibitively unfair though. Various Chalice decks have existed in the format for years and haven't ever been a huge problem because they naturally have to trade the consistency that the standard cantrip suite provides for those powerful early game plays. Same for Blood Moon. Both also lose a ton of power when you're on the draw because they become open to Daze and Pierce, or allow vital turn 1 plays like Top, DRS, Delver, and Vial.

I can see Eldrazi decks being a bit better than past iterations just because they have more threats and can run them out more consistently with the additional Eldrazi lands. They're also playing a lot of fatties that are immune to some of the standard removal like Decay and P. Fire. Still, they run a greedy manabase and will have mulligan issues like Stax and MUD have for years. There are also a handful of decks that are already pretty well-equipped to fight a Chalice deck game 1, like Loam, Elves, Dredge, and Lands.

I actually think this is a good thing rather than the end of the world. It's a bit annoying that they basically printed a deck in a single block, but for a lot of folks like myself the format has felt stale for a few years now, so it's nice to see a bit of a shake up.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    As the LORD OF THE CHALICE, I will drink in all the salty tears of blue mages.
    I think there are few people who have been as big a proponent of Chalice in Legacy as myself. I just prefer to play it in a blue shell that draws better cards and plays fewer pesky 'Creatures.' Whenever Tempo decks threaten the format, it's time to dust off T1 Chalice for 1.

Legacy Shops (or MUD as more people call it) has been a borderline competitive deck for a long time. The issue is that play patterns were similar to those of Tron decks in modern, and if you didn't have your engines going, you didn't really have a hope to cast half of your deck. So Eldrazi in legacy does the same thing it does in Modern - the engines are simplified, and the cards are cheaper so that you can realistically cast them without the engine much of the time.

At least in Legacy we have a MUCH deeper card pool to try to fight specific strategies - I was discussing how sweet Wall of Razors would be in Modern last night...
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    I was discussing how sweet Wall of Razors would be in Modern last night...
    cutting up space aliens with razorblades is an epic flavor win, but warping wail, dismember and spatial contortion answer it. I'm thinking Shield Sphere in the mirror! (also gets erased easily but comes down sooner to prevent more damage)

The difference between modern and legacy is that legacy is balanced because the overpowered cards keep each other in check. In modern they ban whatever is overpowered which makes it much harder to react to new archetypes like eldrazi.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I agree with what you're saying. On the other hand it might just mean that we could lose Storm but gain some other (at the moment still unknown) deck in return. It'll probably become one big circlejerk. Storm might get pushed out by Eldrazi, the next thing comes along and kills off Eldrazi and that thing in turn folds to the resurgence of Storm and so on and so on.

Also, isn't it the nature of Legacy that some decks eventually go the way of the dodo? It sucks for those piloting the deck in question, absolutely, but that's just the nature of the game. Cardboard Darwinism.
    I'm sorry. I thought we banned Survival of the Fittest in Legacy? Only blue decks are allowed to be good.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    I'm sorry. I thought we banned Survival of the Fittest in Legacy? Only blue decks are allowed to be good.
    I lol'd!

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Blue mages crying? boo-fucking-hoo maybe now the cantrip cartel will be only 50% of the meta and you may have an actually sorta unfavorable MU. Seriously after 700 pages of B&R restricted list telling people not to cry over brainstorm being everywhere, i expected something better.
    When I would talk to "most" players about the problem of BS I would get the usual retort of something like:
    "They should just print something as good for the other colors in magic."

Well, the other colors didn't get anything to combat BS but I too, welcome the eldrazi overlords...

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

On Chalice, Blood Moon, and Counterbalance: Aaron Forsythe was gunslinging at GP Detroit on the weekend, and soliciting opinions about Modern. I talked to him about Legacy a bit instead, and mentioned that I thought things that stop you from doing anything are very good in Legacy right now, which is kind of a bummer.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    On Chalice, Blood Moon, and Counterbalance: Aaron Forsythe was gunslinging at GP Detroit on the weekend, and soliciting opinions about Modern. I talked to him about Legacy a bit instead, and mentioned that I thought things that stop you from doing anything are very good in Legacy right now, which is kind of a bummer.
    Not really. What they stop you doing is filling your deck full of Duals and cantrips. I am not one to issue fault with that situation.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information