Thread: Non-factory cut cards

Non-factory cut cards

This probably falls under "judge discretion" but I'm wondering why that would be the case at all.

You're probably seen some miscut cards that were obviously miscut from a sheet on purpose. These would not be factory miscuts but cut by someone outside of the production process. Are these legal for play? If so, why? The corners would not be perfect, correct? Only factory cut cards would have legal corners, yes?

Appreciate thoughts on this.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Re: Non-factory cut cards

They're pretty much treated like alters - ie, yes the HJ's decision.

Generally speaking, they're legal for play.

Dec 2011
    MA

I would just like to know why these and flip cards are legal, but not CE cards.

No good reason, it is one of the few levers outside the reserved list WotC can pull to put reserved list cards into circulation. They can be rounded just like the handcut stuff.

If they're marked (distinguishable from other cards in a sleeved deck) even a little, they're not legal. I've personally never seen a hand-cut card that would be legal, people cut them poorly pretty much as a rule. It's not up to the discretion of a judge, either they're marked or they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by S1N1STER View Post
    Because CE cards were never intended to be tournament legal. Hence "Collector's".
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by S1N1STER View Post
    not sure if it's ce or IE but one, or both, feel thinner / more flimsy than a regular magic card.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    If they're marked (distinguishable from other cards in a sleeved deck) even a little, they're not legal. I've personally never seen a hand-cut card that would be legal, people cut them poorly pretty much as a rule. It's not up to the discretion of a judge, either they're marked or they're not.
    I don't mean to necro/derail this thread, but I was under the distinct impression that Eli Kassis' "miscut" duals weren't factory-cut. I've seen them on camera; why is that allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I don't mean to necro/derail this thread, but I was under the distinct impression that Eli Kassis' "miscut" duals weren't factory-cut. I've seen them on camera; why is that allowed?
    he can have them "pro"-cut = not using scissors a a nailclipper, I think I've also read something about sanding A cards into B cards in large stacks back in the day in some of the threads here... I doubt it's really noticable and anyone really cares as long as it's sleeved, there are more important things to care about than imperfect corners...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I'd assume they're not marked if they're being allowed in tournaments. I don't think I ever saw them in person myself. They can be "miscut" as long as the corners/edges are indistinguishable from factory cut.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    he can have them "pro"-cut = not using scissors a a nailclipper, I think I've also read something about sanding A cards into B cards in large stacks back in the day in some of the threads here... I doubt it's really noticable and anyone really cares as long as it's sleeved, there are more important things to care about than imperfect corners...
    I assume you meant to say Beta cards into Alpha cards.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

IIRC, someone (who knows Eli) told me that they are cut on the same cutter that cuts "real" cards, so they are not factory cut in the sense that it wasn't cut for Wizards during the production process, but they are cut on the same sort of machine, using the same technique.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Yeah you can go to a professional cutter and have sheets cut to specification like Eli Kassis. Reason IE and CE are not legal is gold border on back and square corners are easily distinguishable by touch regardless of sleeve short you putting an opaque sleeve in a toploader.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Yeah you can go to a professional cutter and have sheets cut to specification like Eli Kassis. Reason IE and CE are not legal is gold border on back and square corners are easily distinguishable by touch regardless of sleeve short you putting an opaque sleeve in a toploader.
    That's a little off, as already stated. The reason those sets have those features is because Wizards never wanted them to be tournament legal. Wizards was able to price these printings substantially lower because they were not legal for sanctioned play. Even if you modified a card from a non-legal printing to the point where it's indistinguishable from a card from a legal set, it's still an illegal card because it's from a non-legal printing.
    Last edited by cdr; 07-26-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    -David DeLaney

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Wizards was able to price these printings substantially lower because they were not legal for sanctioned play.
    "Was able to" and "deigned to" are not synonyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    "Was able to" and "deigned to" are not synonyms.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say. World Championship decks were indeed incredibly inexpensive, and even CE etc were cheap compared to what they would have cost if they were real cards.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information