Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GP Columbus, worth a trip?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Re: GP Columbus, worth a trip?

I'm sure it is great fun to do such a trip with friends, but would you still be driving for 10 hours if you did it by yourself? That's part of my problem, as I will either have to meet up with people I never met before, or I'll be stuck by myself and I know from previous experiences that that isn't really my thing ;). It's been crazy busy at work this week and won't be better next week, but I hope to be able to buy the tickets during Easter and will see what becomes of it then :).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    I'm sure it is great fun to do such a trip with friends, but would you still be driving for 10 hours if you did it by yourself? That's part of my problem, as I will either have to meet up with people I never met before, or I'll be stuck by myself and I know from previous experiences that that isn't really my thing ;). It's been crazy busy at work this week and won't be better next week, but I hope to be able to buy the tickets during Easter and will see what becomes of it then :).
    I think so. I'm actually considering taking my motorcycle on its first road trip, I've got an old college friend who lives 80 miles from Columbus. Decision is still pending on me actually getting the thing back into driving condition from its winter stasis. I'm a bit of an introvert though.

Apr 2011
    South Jersey

I debated it myself, but Columbus is meh. I like to go out and hit the night life afterwards. If your going for strictly magic than my opinion is utterly worthless. I wish it was in Atlantic city every time, magic, poker, clubs, booze. Total win there.
    Legacy deck of choice: Enchantress

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    You're welcome to hang out with me and some Philly (and possibly Cleveland) people. Columbus is actually a great town.

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalstylez View Post
    I debated it myself, but Columbus is meh. I like to go out and hit the night life afterwards. If your going for strictly magic than my opinion is utterly worthless. I wish it was in Atlantic city every time, magic, poker, clubs, booze. Total win there.

You just aren't going to the right places in Cbus. I'd take it (or any decent sized Midwestern city) over Baltimore, AC, or Wilmington any day.

Apr 2011
    South Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    You're welcome to hang out with me and some Philly (and possibly Cleveland) people. Columbus is actually a great town.

You just aren't going to the right places in Cbus. I'd take it (or any decent sized Midwestern city) over Baltimore, AC, or Wilmington any day.
    Different strokes for different folks 👍
    Legacy deck of choice: Enchantress

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I think so. I'm actually considering taking my motorcycle on its first road trip, I've got an old college friend who lives 80 miles from Columbus. Decision is still pending on me actually getting the thing back into driving condition from its winter stasis. I'm a bit of an introvert though.
    You got me temporarily excited to do a bike trip, then I checked the map and realized Columbus is 19 hours from here. Through Kansas. And Missouri.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You got me temporarily excited to do a bike trip, then I checked the map and realized Columbus is 19 hours from here. Through Kansas. And Missouri.
    Yeah, I know we've talked about motorcycle trips... but I don't think this is the one. :)
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

To be fair, a majority of the issues that have haunted PES for the Detroit/Pittsburgh GPs seemed to be closer related to side events and unexpectedly high turnouts (which wasn't communicated fully well).

For diehards like us who go to play a specific main event format, those issues are less related to TO. The only direct factor that the TO has is organization (and even then a lot of it is still judges), communication (such as the cap in Pittsburgh), and entry fees (which as Koby said is stupidly high, but still less for Columbus than the past few GPs). By no way am I justifying that PES is a decent TO (they aren't), but for anyone going for just the main event, it's nothing to fear that much, as long as you pre-register (and it looks like the website linked previously has been updated to allow preregistration, with a count of free seats, with nothing else listed). So at least they're trying to be organized with regards to the cap this time. As for round turnaround, that usually is not the TOs fault (exception being the first few rounds of GP NJ due to all the drops after people got their swag bags), as these are related to players playing slowly, judge calls, players being dumb and not handing in their match slips, etc.

That being said, I will not be going, due to two weddings in May, and a 5 day trip to San Francisco the week after the GP (which auto prevents me from going to EE4), which I can't afford to travel two full days for Columbus (since flying there from Seattle is a full day lost traveling each way due to flight scheduling). Agreed that Eternal Weekend really needs to be announced, as I know the contingent from Seattle who wants to go would like to start handling travel plans (which gets increasingly difficult/expensive from March on for anything during the summer).

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

While I'm sure they always had a large amount of control, WotC appears to now be 100% selecting the playmats for GPs and they've all been announced here. Events occurring on the same weekend will now have the same playmat.

To double the pain, it's a card that hasn't seen widespread legacy play in multiple years.

Certainly an... interesting choice. Geist has been all but irrelevant since the printing of True Name Nemesis. I looked back through SCG's deck archives. The last time Geist was played in an SCG Open or Classic and finished high enough to have its deck posted was October 2014. The last time that Geist posted these kind of results in the maindeck was November of 2013.
    Last edited by thecrav; 03-24-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: formatting mixup
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

It actually looks pretty cool on a playmat but man I'm glad I got my sweet Delver playmat last year.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Yeah, Geist is pretty underwhelming for a Legacy pick, but it sure beats the hell out of the rest of them. Can't say I've ever wanted a shitty Limited common as a playmat.

Sure does suck to be anywhere but GP Toronto.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Yeah, Geist is pretty underwhelming for a Legacy pick, but it sure beats the hell out of the rest of them. Can't say I've ever wanted a shitty Limited common as a playmat.

Sure does suck to be anywhere but GP Toronto.
    Damn, the Toronto mat is pretty legit, this coming from someone that almost never uses them. Toronto is also a pretty great city, and currently the event is only $45 USD...why oh why does it have to be Standard constructed!? If this was basically any other format I'd consider going.

Also I just noticed that 3/7 playmats feature Jace, so that's cool. Can't wait to see what products get tied into their shitty half-baked superhero storyline next.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

I am totally baffled by this choice of artwork for a Legacy GP playmat.

Sure, Wizards probably wanted it to be something from Innistrad due to SOI block's release, but there are SO many choices that are much more relevant to the Legacy format. I would have thought Snapcaster Mage, Liliana of the Veil, or Griselbrand to be SUPER low-hanging fruit for an Innistrad-themed mat, but clearly Wizards had other ideas.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    I am totally baffled by this choice of artwork for a Legacy GP playmat.

Sure, Wizards probably wanted it to be something from Innistrad due to SOI block's release, but there are SO many choices that are much more relevant to the Legacy format. I would have thought Snapcaster Mage, Liliana of the Veil, or Griselbrand to be SUPER low-hanging fruit for an Innistrad-themed mat, but clearly Wizards had other ideas.
    Liliana and Snapcaster are both Modern staples, which would've made the playmat more desirable as well.

While we're throwing out INN block cards that would've been cool to have a playmat of, Terminus and Entreat the Angels both have at that's super sweet when blown up.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Yeah, I know we've talked about motorcycle trips... but I don't think this is the one. :)
    Coming from Pittsburgh, Cbus is the perfect distance.

I would 100% take the bike there if I wasn't carpooling with friends.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    This Sunday's Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) Finals is Battle for Zendikar/Oath of the Gatewatch limited with a Modern Filans on Saturday, and Preliminaries that award the token you need for this weekend (or a future Constructed PTQ Finals) start up again today at 8:30 a.m. PT/3:30 p.m. UTC. Additional Preliminaries take place at 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. PT.
    Ugh Wizards....

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by cab0747 View Post
    Coming from Pittsburgh, Cbus is the perfect distance.

I would 100% take the bike there if I wasn't carpooling with friends.
    Why not do both!?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Just an update from the OP. I'm really grateful for all the info and offers I got here and had made up my mind that I wanted to go. For some reason though the ticket to the conference only was now about $150 cheaper and since I'm paying the difference, my flight ticket including the GP became just too expensive. I was looking at a $600-800 trip for a GP, which was not worth it to me. Maybe another time, I'm definitely keeping a look out for future GPs :).
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Thread Information