Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GP Columbus, worth a trip?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: GP Columbus, worth a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Not going to Columbus doesn't show Wizards you don't support PES. It shows that you don't support Legacy.
    I disagree. Unfortunately, there's not really any way to know if this is true without actually asking OP. Several of the people vocally boycotting are also making sure to let OP know their reasons.

We're also still supporting Legacy. We're just doing it at a different tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    The big factor on future events will be the turnout, not who ran it.
    *All the following stats North America only

First, I don't think that this is true. Legacy per-GP attendance more than doubled 2013 to 2014 but we still only got one GP in 2015 (And 2016)

Second, we often forget that the Pro Tour and its associated events, including Grand Prix, are promotional events. Unless WotC plans on putting Underground Seas in boosters some time soon, Legacy will never be a good thing for them to promote. Therefore, they're not likely to have more GPs for it.

Third, turnout and who runs the event are linked. Of the top ten highest attendance GPs, two are Modern Masters (CFB/Cascade), two are the two Modern events PES ran that people complained about. The remaining six are all Star City Games. After GP DC this weekend, SCG will have the NA record for largest GP for Limited, Team Limited, Modern, and Legacy. That's not a fluke. It's because they run excellent events.

LARGEST NA GPs OVERALL ATTENDENCE:
    GP Vegas 2015 - ChannelFireball & Cascade Games
    GP Vegas 2013 - ChannelFireball & Cascade Games
    GP Richmond 2014 (Modern) - Star City Games
    GP New Jersey 2014 (Legacy) - Star City Games
    GP Chrlotte 2105 (Modern) - Star City Games
    GP Pittsburgh 2015 (Modern) - PES
    GP Detroit 2016 (Modern) - PES
    GP Worcester 2014 (Modern) - Star City Games
    GP Orlando 2014 (Limited) - Star City Games
    GP Atlanta 2015 (Limited) - Star City Games

LARGEST NA GPs, PER FORMAT:
    Legacy - GP New Jersey 2014 - Star City Games
    Modern - GP Richmond 2014 - Star City Games
    Standard - GP Chicago 2014 - Pasttimes
    Limited (other than Modern Masters) - GP Charlotte 2013 - Star City Games
    Team Limited - GP Detroit - PES*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

On the bright side, if PES fucks Columbus up as much as they've fucked up every GP for the past few years, Wizards might actually not give them GPs next year.

Guptil and Wizards go way back, but Wizards has also consistently pulled GPs from TOs who run them poorly. And also Legion, that was after I stopped judging, no idea what happened there.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

GP Detroit seemed reasonably well-run to me. I'm aware of the people posting on reddit about how they got in a fight with the TO over refunds or whatever, but in terms of making a big tournament happen smoothly, I think they did fine this time.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    FWIW, my decision on GP Columbus vs Eternal Weekend was decided by "Hey self, would you rather spend a weekend in Columbus, Ohio or in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?"
    Well, EE4 is in Allentown. Not Philly. Philly sucks, but does have Reading Market. Which is sort of legendary in the community. Funny thing is, Columbus' North Market is probably the only indoor market I would rate over Reading. So there's that. But since Reading is off the table, since, y'know, Allentown is nowhere near Philly, I can't recommend the Coopersburg Diner highly enough if you choose the EE. You will not likely find more food for your dollar on their dinner menu outside of maybe Taco Bell.

I'm a fat guy who likes Legacy. But I have priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Bryant Cook

I disagree. Unfortunately, there's not really any way to know if this is true without actually asking OP. Several of the people vocally boycotting are also making sure to let OP know their reasons.

We're also still supporting Legacy. We're just doing it at a different tournament.

*All the following stats North America only

First, I don't think that this is true. Legacy per-GP attendance more than doubled 2013 to 2014 but we still only got one GP in 2015 (And 2016)

Second, we often forget that the Pro Tour and its associated events, including Grand Prix, are promotional events. Unless WotC plans on putting Underground Seas in boosters some time soon, Legacy will never be a good thing for them to promote. Therefore, they're not likely to have more GPs for it.

Third, turnout and who runs the event are linked. Of the top ten highest attendance GPs, two are Modern Masters (CFB/Cascade), two are the two Modern events PES ran that people complained about. The remaining six are all Star City Games. After GP DC this weekend, SCG will have the NA record for largest GP for Limited, Team Limited, Modern, and Legacy. That's not a fluke. It's because they run excellent events.

LARGEST NA GPs OVERALL ATTENDENCE:
    GP Vegas 2015 - ChannelFireball & Cascade Games
    GP Vegas 2013 - ChannelFireball & Cascade Games
    GP Richmond 2014 (Modern) - Star City Games
    GP New Jersey 2014 (Legacy) - Star City Games
    GP Chrlotte 2105 (Modern) - Star City Games
    GP Pittsburgh 2015 (Modern) - PES
    GP Detroit 2016 (Modern) - PES
    GP Worcester 2014 (Modern) - Star City Games
    GP Orlando 2014 (Limited) - Star City Games
    GP Atlanta 2015 (Limited) - Star City Games

LARGEST NA GPs, PER FORMAT:
    Legacy - GP New Jersey 2014 - Star City Games
    Modern - GP Richmond 2014 - Star City Games
    Standard - GP Chicago 2014 - Pasttimes
    Limited (other than Modern Masters) - GP Charlotte 2013 - Star City Games
    Team Limited - GP Detroit - PES*
    It's hard to compare PES to SCG, one is clearly a powerhouse in the industry and well... the other is PES. That said, I don't think it reflects well on the format to have a bunch of people skip a Grand Prix because of the company running the event. I honestly don't believe Wizards will view it as a cause of PES running a poor quality event, but more likely a dying interest in the format after SCG's absence.

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    GP Detroit seemed reasonably well-run to me. I'm aware of the people posting on reddit about how they got in a fight with the TO over refunds or whatever, but in terms of making a big tournament happen smoothly, I think they did fine this time.
    You mean how every single round went 30 minutes over time? I was there and it was fucking miserable.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I think if Legacy players are vocal enough on social media, WoTC will at least take future tournaments into consideration.

It's pretty well known that Eternal players are pretty hardcore about their formats. If a TO is doing poorly enough to turn off Legacy players from the one US GP we have / year, I think that will at least get someone's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Being part of the event, I greatly disagree. 25-30 minutes of wait time after a round ends is not acceptable.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'm avoiding all Grand Prix this year in protest of exorbitant entrance fees that seem to runaway with no limit. Also, PES is dogshit. No thanks.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomegrant View Post
    Being part of the event, I greatly disagree. 25-30 minutes of wait time after a round ends is not acceptable.
    Time to get food/cigarettes/take a dump between rounds? Sounds like all upside to me
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    Strictly from an EV standpoint, Grand Prix tournaments are horrible, prizes are disproportionately small for events this size. If you aren't interested in qualifying for the Pro Tour, there isn't much of a reason to play in them.
    Agreed, but I would add the caveat that you can still enjoy the Grand Prix for the sake of competition. I have no intention of ever qualifying for the Pro Tour, but I'd still be interested in playing local Legacy GPs because that is the game at the highest level as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Time to get food/cigarettes/take a dump between rounds? Sounds like all upside to me
    Yeah but you're not gonna take a shit after every round. The first one or even two are all upside but if you're tacking 30 minutes on to every round of a 9 round day, you're gonna be there for another 4.5 hours on what is already a very long day and that's pathetic from any TO worth their salt.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

FWIW, my decision on GP Columbus vs Eternal Weekend was decided by "Hey self, would you rather spend a weekend in Columbus, Ohio or in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?"
    Wait, has Eternal Weekend been announced? Cause I made the same decision (based on the same criteria ) but I thought they haven't posted dates yet . . .

Is there some reason people on here can't attend both EE4 *and* GP Columbus?

I mean, there are only so many big Legacy tournaments available. Why not attend as many as you can?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Is there some reason people on here can't attend both EE4 *and* GP Columbus?
    $$$$$$?

Seems relevant.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    $$$$$$?

Seems relevant.
    Free time as well? Not living near any of those places? Amount of vacation time from work?

If those were in my back yard, it'd be one thing, but I live in the middle of nowhere. I also only get a week off per year.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

I actually really like Columbus

In the end I guess I'm kind of lucky to live in the middle of the two events, so I'll be going to both the GP and to EE4.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Thanks all for the replies, it's definitely good to know in advance that the TO of the GP does not have the best reputation. I'm quite limited with respect to the time frame I have available for these events. It should either be the weekend before the GP or the weekend of the GP so if Eternal Weekend is not in one of those I probably can't make it. Would've been great if EE4 was in one of those weekends but unfortunately its the week after and that isn't a real option for me. Anyway, any info about the weekends is still welcome as I have to plan/book everything still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    Thanks all for the replies, it's definitely good to know in advance that the TO of the GP does not have the best reputation. I'm quite limited with respect to the time frame I have available for these events. It should either be the weekend before the GP or the weekend of the GP so if Eternal Weekend is not in one of those I probably can't make it. Would've been great if EE4 was in one of those weekends but unfortunately its the week after and that isn't a real option for me. Anyway, any info about the weekends is still welcome as I have to plan/book everything still.
    Realistically, you should take everything said in this thread with about an entire shaker of salt. People will find things to complain about even if the tournament is run by the best TO in the world. If you have the time and the money, why not come play some Legacy? It also helps that Columbus has some great stuff to do (really good food, stuff to do in the Short North, and an awesome rhythm game arcade if you're into that) for those times when you're not playing Magic.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2010
    Ontario, Canada

We just booked our hotel, traveling like 10 hours from butt fucking Sudbury in Ontario for it, so its def worth the trip as gp road trips are the best trips i have been on.

Quote Originally Posted by god_campbell View Post
    We just booked our hotel, traveling like 10 hours from butt fucking Sudbury in Ontario for it, so its def worth the trip as gp road trips are the best trips i have been on.
    Yep - I've got 3 friends I will most likely be riding 11 hours with to get to Columbus. Might even be able to convince another carload to join us since legacy has really been taking off (finally) in our area. Legacy FNM's the last few weeks with 18-22 people each week.

I traveled with a buddy to Seattle and we had a great time. Plane ticket expenses and everything else worth it by far - except now I am really jealous of the quality of LGS they have there (Mox Boarding house, looking at you).

Thread Information