Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Post – Colorless Eldrazi Ramp

Re: [Primer] Eldrazi Post – Colorless Eldrazi Ramp

So I don't know if anyone's paying attention to Legacy anymore but this deck is pretty damn sick with the addition of Golos, Tireless Pilgrim.

My list that made 12th place in the last Legacy Playoff event on MTGO just feels super broken. I go 4-1 or 5-0 in every league and I would have easily top8ed that playoff event had I not made some critical mistakes against Death n Taxes twice in the swiss. I steamrolled everything else in that tournament.

Here's the link to the list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2565382#paper

I cut out the Cascading Cataracts because you really don't need it and just subbed in an extra Blast Zone.

Seriously, Golos is the missing key the deck always needed to push it over the top. With Golos you get silver bullet answers to decks, you get ramp, you get a blocker and an attacker, and you get the tutor for your win con (Eye of Ugin) late in the game. It's just super sick. Try the list out, I actually think it's the best iteration of Eldrazi Post ever.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So I don't know if anyone's paying attention to Legacy anymore but this deck is pretty damn sick with the addition of Golos, Tireless Pilgrim.

My list that made 12th place in the last Legacy Playoff event on MTGO just feels super broken. I go 4-1 or 5-0 in every league and I would have easily top8ed that playoff event had I not made some critical mistakes against Death n Taxes twice in the swiss. I steamrolled everything else in that tournament.

Here's the link to the list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2565382#paper

I cut out the Cascading Cataracts because you really don't need it and just subbed in an extra Blast Zone.

Seriously, Golos is the missing key the deck always needed to push it over the top. With Golos you get silver bullet answers to decks, you get ramp, you get a blocker and an attacker, and you get the tutor for your win con (Eye of Ugin) late in the game. It's just super sick. Try the list out, I actually think it's the best iteration of Eldrazi Post ever.
    As a long-time lover of Ugin, the spirit dragon, I adore your iteration of the deck. A natural question is: why no Karn, TGC? Don't you feel the need of a toolbox? Don't you miss "free wins" by lattice?

Hi guys!!!!

i can see the thread is been inactive for a while, but i'd like to know your oppinion on my build. I've been testing this on XMage and I have had mixed results.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the list

Creatures

2x Golos, tireless Pilgrim
    2x Walking Ballista
    3x Endbringer
    3x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-knot Seer
    2x Ulamog, the ceaseless hunger
    1x Emrakul, The Aeons Torn

Artifacts

4x Chalice of the void
    4x Grim Monolith
    3x Trinisphere

others

2x All is dust
    2x Ugin, The Ineffable
    2x Ugin, the Spirit dragon

Lands

4x Ancient tomb
    1x cascading cataracts
    4x Cloudpost
    4x Eldrazi temple
    4x Glimmerpost
    2x Karakas
    3x Eye of Ugin
    1x Thespian's Stage
    2x Vesuva
    1x Wastes

Sideboard

3x sorcerous spyglass
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Ratchet bomb
    1x Wurmcoil Engine
    4x Leyline of the void
    2x Warping Wail

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I don't particularly think Wurmcoil may work in a lot of match ups, since Oko exist. Maybe another titan in that spot (Emrakul new or Kozilek, the great distortion)?. Walking ballista feels kind of clunky, since Karn TGC exist, and the spyglass, and needle..... I was thinking on Stonecoil Serpent as an option, since can block delver, Marit Lage and is immune to Oko

Anyway. Any help is gonna be well recieved. As a sidenote, i don't like karn TGC, because.....reasons (I like to beat my opponents to death, and not lock them out of the game. Chalice and 3ball slow them doen, allowing me to develop my game plan. It doesn't block them from having fun)

No more love for this deck ?
    Time to shake up this thread.

New tool for us, don't think it's worth a slot though (Golos and little Ugin are awesome for this CCM), but the lifegain part maybe relevant in some matchups as a Karn target.

Anyway, finished first and went 5-0-1 in a "Win a bayou" tournament with my list, a bit updated :
    4 Tomb
    3 City
    3 Vesuva
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Thespian Stage
    1 Eye of Ugin
    2 Blast Zone
    1 Karakas
    1 Cascading Cataracts (questionable land, Golos interaction is not that relevant IMO, may be replaced by any utility land or third Thespian)
    1 Wastes
    1 Dark Depths

4 Chalice
    4 Grim
    3 Dynamo
    2 Manifold
    2 Trinisphere

4 Karn Creator
    3 Ugin Spirit Dragon
    2 Ugin Ineffable

4 TKS
    2 Golos
    2 Ulamog Ceaseless
    1 Ballista

SB : 4 Leyline, 2 bridge, 3 Spyglass, Ratchet Bomb, Lattice, Tormod, Trinisphere, Ballista, Liquimetal

Won versus UR Delver, RUG Delver, Hogaak, Soldier Stompy and Infect, draw versus 4c Loam.

The decklist plays by itself, it's just that awesome.
    The key is to to know how to mull as we're on topdeck mode for the rest of the game.
    I mulled several times to 5 (and won all those games), just to be able to cast something turn 1 anyway, as it at least was equal to Hymn to Tourach my opponent.

I don't think we can afford to not play Karn. It's way too strong, fills the 4 ccm spot (aka the 2nd wave) as a must be answered threat, and won me so many games.
    Little Ugin is also incredible, flexible as a removal, a chump blocker generator + card advantage, all in one, plus it bridges to high end threats.

A thought I had when playing : with Karn, I found myself wanted to grab any land at some point.
    Maybe slot a Vault of Whipers should be fine (in place of 3rd Spyglass).

Quote Originally Posted by superallulla View Post
    Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I don't particularly think Wurmcoil may work in a lot of match ups, since Oko exist. Maybe another titan in that spot (Emrakul new or Kozilek, the great distortion)?. Walking ballista feels kind of clunky, since Karn TGC exist, and the spyglass, and needle..... I was thinking on Stonecoil Serpent as an option, since can block delver, Marit Lage and is immune to Oko

Anyway. Any help is gonna be well recieved. As a sidenote, i don't like karn TGC, because.....reasons (I like to beat my opponents to death, and not lock them out of the game. Chalice and 3ball slow them doen, allowing me to develop my game plan. It doesn't block them from having fun)
    Hi superallula,

Don't neglect relevant cards cause you may encounter some Karns here and there. It is not a relevant percentage of the meta to do so. Define a gameplan, see whats best and stick to it.

Your list leans more on Eldrazi Posts than Big Ugin Mana we were discussing, so I may not be able to help here.
    I just feel like your list is trying to do both strategies, while they are fundamentaly different. Eldrazi wantsbto beat down the opponent with a good late game plan (Ulamog), and Big Mana just wants to lock out the game, keep the threats in check in order to resolve either a Big Eldrazi, Ugin Spirit Dragon or a Lattice.
    Maybe you lose efficiency in trying to bridge somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    No more love for this deck ?
    Time to shake up this thread.

New tool for us, don't think it's worth a slot though (Golos and little Ugin are awesome for this CCM), but the lifegain part maybe relevant in some matchups as a Karn target.

Anyway, finished first and went 5-0-1 in a "Win a bayou" tournament with my list, a bit updated :
    4 Tomb
    3 City
    3 Vesuva
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Thespian Stage
    1 Eye of Ugin
    2 Blast Zone
    1 Karakas
    1 Cascading Cataracts (questionable land, Golos interaction is not that relevant IMO, may be replaced by any utility land or third Thespian)
    1 Wastes
    1 Dark Depths

4 Chalice
    4 Grim
    3 Dynamo
    2 Manifold
    2 Trinisphere

4 Karn Creator
    3 Ugin Spirit Dragon
    2 Ugin Ineffable

4 TKS
    2 Golos
    2 Ulamog Ceaseless
    1 Ballista

SB : 4 Leyline, 2 bridge, 3 Spyglass, Ratchet Bomb, Lattice, Tormod, Trinisphere, Ballista, Liquimetal

Won versus UR Delver, RUG Delver, Hogaak, Soldier Stompy and Infect, draw versus 4c Loam.

The decklist plays by itself, it's just that awesome.
    The key is to to know how to mull as we're on topdeck mode for the rest of the game.
    I mulled several times to 5 (and won all those games), just to be able to cast something turn 1 anyway, as it at least was equal to Hymn to Tourach my opponent.

I don't think we can afford to not play Karn. It's way too strong, fills the 4 ccm spot (aka the 2nd wave) as a must be answered threat, and won me so many games.
    Little Ugin is also incredible, flexible as a removal, a chump blocker generator + card advantage, all in one, plus it bridges to high end threats.

A thought I had when playing : with Karn, I found myself wanted to grab any land at some point.

Fantastic looking list and congrats on winning a Bayou!

How often did you end up summoning Marit Lage?

Well, not so much, so I switched it for a third Golos (as DD can be considered as a spell) with mixed results so far.
    Cascading Cataracts too didn't impressed me that much. But I'm still wondering what land could take the slot.

Still today, part of the deck's strength is being an underdog where opponents don't really know how to play against.
    Knowing how to bait Wastelands is a life saver in those cases. Ancient Tomb fits the role perfectly here as it allows you to play Chalice, 95% of the time will then get nuked, then you can land Posts.

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Have you considered 1x Expedition Map side? The cost 1 may be awful with Chalice, but other than that, accessing Eye of Ugin when you are flooded, Glimmerpost for life, or any piece of Depths/Stage may be worth considering. I did it months ago and I liked it.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by gRR!! View Post
    Have you considered 1x Expedition Map side? The cost 1 may be awful with Chalice, but other than that, accessing Eye of Ugin when you are flooded, Glimmerpost for life, or any piece of Depths/Stage may be worth considering. I did it months ago and I liked it.
    Worth considering indeed, nice tech.
    I feel like, how the list is build, you almost never get flooded without anything to do (a problem I encountered when I tried to go full on big Ugin).
    The curve lets you play something for 2/3/4/5/6/8/10, and opponents run quickly out of gas trying to counter Chalice, then TKS/Karn, then a high end threat.
    Matches I lost were either horrible matchups (Dark Depths is clearly unwinnable), or when the deck simply loses by itslef while mulling into oblivion (cause I keep 95% of the time hands that allows me to play an early threat with flollow up, and mulligan aggressively to do so).

Top 8'd in a 50-man tournament, with the same list except I switched a spyglass for a Bridge in the SB.

In the swiss, beat Sneak Show 2-0, Snowko 2-0, BG Depths 2-1, Hogaak 2-1, lost to BG Depths 1-2, and ID vs another BG Depths.
    Lost vs UW Helm in the quarter, where my opponent drew the exact two cards that would've saved him, back to back (B2B + Disenchant) while I got him locked with Chalice on 1, Sypglass on Tefeiri + TKS beats for the win.
    Semi would have been vs Infect, a favourable match-up, and BG Depths in the finals (they were literally everywhere), but hey, cards soul, you know.

Deck is just too good, definitely. BG Depths is the only tier deck that we can't really handle, but other than B2B surprises, it feels unstoppable.
    Again, mulliganing into relevant hands, even beyond 6, is key.
    Need to brew now that we've got another combo online (Basalt + Forsaken Monument), but honestly, I'm not sure I'll change anything from there.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Need to brew now that we've got another combo online (Basalt + Forsaken Monument), but honestly, I'm not sure I'll change anything from there.
    Monument plus baby Ugin also makes it so he spits out 4/4's, but no idea if that is really all that good though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Well done on the win Chris.

Are you still playing a maindeck Cataracts? Have you ever used the combo with Golos to win a game that you were behind in?

I updated the second post in the thread with your list.

Hi Captain,

Thx for adding it !

I'm still on Cararacts but mainly cause I didn't had the time to re-test the list. In all of the games ever played with the list, it just happened one time (and found me a Ugin Spirit).
    Maybe, getting a second Karakas MD isn't a bad move (been wrecked two times by the new shape of Reanimator with Korlis/Tendrils combo).
    I used to play Dark Depths previously but then again, not great.
    I consider that it's a flex spot, so do as you will ;)

On a side note, there's a new list running around, with 4 Sphere of Resistance, Stonecoil Serpent, and the combo Basalt Monolith/Forsaken Monument.
    It appears to be successful, although I'm not a big fan of Spheres (slows you down too, doesn't stops opponents like Trini does).

Edit : tournaments won were only 20+ men tournaments :)

Pyre of Heroes

Artifact (Rare)

2, Tap, Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a creature card that shares a creature type with the sacrificed creature and has converted mana cost equal to 1 plus that creature's converted mana cost. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Seems fantastic with Matter Reshaper. I would try it as a 1 of.

Apr 2021
    Oz

I don't mind this deck at all, but can someone explain the plan to combat a quick blood moon or magus? This deck seems to suffer badly if they get one of these down...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by z0anthr0pe View Post
    I don't mind this deck at all, but can someone explain the plan to combat a quick blood moon or magus? This deck seems to suffer badly if they get one of these down...
    Grim Monolith answers Moons. I'm also not tracking on Red Prison decks being a powerhouse in the current meta, so I think the plan is mostly to not get paired against it.

Yes, Blood Moon can be played around easily.

The real thing thats holding this deck back is the same thing that pushed moderns big mana eldrazi deck (eldrazi tron) out of that format. While everyone else got cool anti Chalice tech like Prismatic Ending and Boseju, colorless big mana decks literally got 0 new cards printed for them since KGC, and aside from KGC, this deck recieved nothing since its conception 6-7 years ago.

By now, I was hoping we would have atleast gotten some powerful 7 mana Eldrazi to make Conduit of Ruin playable (a baby Ulamog that exiles one permanent, or a baby Kozilek that draws 2 cards). But we didnt and so have had to make do with Endbringer (and Worldbreaker in the green splash lists) instead of Conduit. This was also the reason I suspect most stopped iterating on this list after KGC. With no new tech to test, there was nothing to iterate.

Thats no longer the case, we just got a fantastic new card that I think will breath new life into this deck…

Karn’s Sylex almost feels like it was handcrafted to make colorless big mana decks like this in legacy and tron in modern into powerhouses once again. It automatically fills the role Ratchet Bomb did but usually does it better, and also is a hate piece against fetchlands, fow and some combo cards.

A turn one Sylex shutting off fetchlands, and doubling as a sweeper is exactly what this deck needed. From the list posted above that won the challenge, I would cut 2 All is Dust, and a Warping Wail a to test 3 Sylex. That number might come down after testing. I would also probably cut a Matter Reshaper to test a one of Timeless Lotus form the new set. The anti synergy of Sylex with Chalice is a bummer, but we rarely manage to keep Chalice in play for long thanks to Prismatic Ending and Boseju. Maybe its time to cut Chalice.
    Last edited by Clark Kant; 09-01-2022 at 07:38 PM.

Last edited by Clark Kant; 09-03-2022 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information