Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential fixes for 2 inherent problems of this game.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Re: Potential fixes for 2 inherent problems of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by LanciatoreDiBanane View Post
    I get you point. I was saying that you can fix the problem by defining a minimum number of spell that you need to have. For instance, you impose as a rule that the land pile must contain at least 10 lands while the spell pile must have at least 30 spell (numbers are without testing of course). I bet that this would help at avoiding perfect draws.

force of will is a card game that was developed around this rule and players seem to be happy about it. There are mtg cards like belcher that are hard to integrate with this new rule, but I really believe that is at least worth to give a shot to this system (just pick two legacy decks and try to do a game with a friend)
    If they were separated, you couldn't add spells to the land deck, since it'd be a "land" deck.

On another note, I was talking to a friend who said that if MTG had come out now, it wouldn't have lasted because of the lands. He says the game only works because of its amazing OP. What are your thoughts on this?
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    On another note, I was talking to a friend who said that if MTG had come out now, it wouldn't have lasted because of the lands. He says the game only works because of its amazing OP. What are your thoughts on this?
    Magic was the first TCG so I think the answer to this question relies a lot on whether, in our alternate time line, someone else comes up with TCGs.

If someone does, I agree that it falls flat. The mana system can be clunky. Standard decks cost as much as every Hearthstone card combined. And can you imagine launching MODO in today's marketplace?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Magic was the first TCG so I think the answer to this question relies a lot on whether, in our alternate time line, someone else comes up with TCGs.

If someone does, I agree that it falls flat. The mana system can be clunky. Standard decks cost as much as every Hearthstone card combined. And can you imagine launching MODO in today's marketplace?
    Oh man.. Didn't even think about MTGO in today's market...
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post

Vs. System (actual VS. System and not the bastardized turd redo) fixed the mana screw problem, but without as much variance the better player nearly always won. Eventually that, along with the apes at UDE killed the game. You need the donkey to win occasionally, like it or not land screw provides an avenue for this -- especially in limited.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Vs. System (actual VS. System and not the bastardized turd redo) fixed the mana screw problem, but without as much variance the better player nearly always won. Eventually that, along with the apes at UDE killed the game. You need the donkey to win occasionally, like it or not land screw provides an avenue for this -- especially in limited.
    God I love your expression "apes at UDE" couldn't agree more with this sentiment.

The second point I don't really agree with though, in saying you need the donkeys to win. No you don't. Practice and get better so you're not the donkey anymore.

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Thread Information