Page 103 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2465

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Miton View Post
    Did you really put winter orb in the SB of a deck that needs access to like 18* mana to function?

*possibly slight exaggeration but not by much

that's the brainstorm shows list - and winter orb is a great sb card against miracles and lands. Our lands tap for 2 and eye of ugin doesn't even need to tap so there's a ton of synergy.

Here's what I'm currently running:
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Endless One
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    1 Endbringer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Warping Wail
    2 Dismember
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Wasteland
    2 Mishra's Factory
    2 Oblivion Sower
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Matter Reshaper
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 2 All Is Dust
    SB: 1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    SB: 2 Karakas
    SB: 3 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle

Jan 2017
    Australia

Is it wourth having the karakas in the SB rather than just running them main over, say, a factory and an urborg?

Here is a 5-0 list from the most recent Magic Online league that was posted(Qernavak):

4 Endless One
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Matter Reshaper
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher

2 Dismember
    2 All is Dust
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    1 Wastes

SB
    1 Karakas
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Warping Wail
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Oblivion Sower
    1 All is Dust
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

The reason I point this one out specifically is I really like what is going on with the numbers. All is Dust main makes a lot more sense now given the rise in popularity of TNN decks, and not only having them main but having access to a third in the SB seems like a great place to be now. I also like the Metamorphs quite a bit against these True Name decks as well, either copying their Nemesis itself and being able to race or making an additional Smasher to try and get through the TNN itself. Unclear on the one Wastes but I can see why it's there, and I'm not sure how I feel about omitting Thorn of Amethyst entirely. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by d00mwake View Post
    Here is a 5-0 list from the most recent Magic Online league that was posted(Qernavak):

4 Endless One
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Matter Reshaper
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher

2 Dismember
    2 All is Dust
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    1 Wastes

SB
    1 Karakas
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Warping Wail
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Oblivion Sower
    1 All is Dust

The reason I point this one out specifically is I really like what is going on with the numbers. All is Dust main makes a lot more sense now given the rise in popularity of TNN decks, and not only having them main but having access to a third in the SB seems like a great place to be now. I also like the Metamorphs quite a bit against these True Name decks as well, either copying their Nemesis itself and being able to race or making an additional Smasher to try and get through the TNN itself. Unclear on the one Wastes but I can see why it's there, and I'm not sure how I feel about omitting Thorn of Amethyst entirely. Thoughts?
    My compiled results from modo are here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This rough list is in response to the metagame shift. As you suspected, I tuned it for the TNN decks that suddenly became abundant, but also to increase its aggressiveness and speed in response to the rise of non-storm combo decks. the metamorphs provide additional insurance vs. SnT by being able to copy the creature they drop. So far it's doing just fine, I don't have enough matches to tune it further or to assess whether it is a good list.

Thorns were taken out because I haven't seen storm at all, and I don't really like to bring it vs. other decks where it's not stellar. I already have a good matchup vs. miracles, so I don't really see which matchups are left where it would be necessary.

2 Oblivion Sower in the SB are for improving the miracles matchup and other Leyline matchups.

List is in early development, I would encourage anyone trying it to give it its own variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Qernavak View Post
    the metamorphs provide additional insurance vs. SnT by being able to copy the creature they drop. So far it's doing just fine, I don't have enough matches to tune it further or to assess whether it is a good list.
    I hope you don't mean dropping Metamorph off the SnT as they drop the creature because that doesn't work as the clone can't become a copy of a creature entering the battlefield at the same time. And playing metamorph the turn after they show a creature seems too slow, especially if it's Emrakul where they just smash and annihilate your board.

(Not hating on the card, I love metamorph)

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    I hope you don't mean dropping Metamorph off the SnT as they drop the creature because that doesn't work as the clone can't become a copy of a creature entering the battlefield at the same time. And playing metamorph the turn after they show a creature seems too slow, especially if it's Emrakul where they just smash and annihilate your board.

(Not hating on the card, I love metamorph)
    I stand corrected, metaphor on SnT wouldn't have worked.

Been testing with ESP and World Breaker and do not believe that this will be a "thing".

Have been testing with Metamorph afterwards and must say... I am impressed. When you want it to be a TKS, its a TKS. When you need a Smasher, its a Smasher. Copying the opponents creatures has also been mighty fine as well as being an extra hate artifact (thorn e.g.) - Its just never a bad draw.

I really like the idea of metamorph given the meta flop. Has anyone tried smuggler's copter? I keep seeing it in paper tournaments but not online. My friend who went to GP louisville said he also saw a skysoveriegn at the top tables as well. I'm Deffinetly up for giving it a shot but wanted some more opinions on vehicles.

Hello! Long time lurker on this thread, finally got the time to post my tournament report from last November at Grand Prix Chiba. I went 11-4 and finished #74 out of 2503 players. 7-2 on Day 1 and 4-2 on Day 2. Here's what I used:

deck image uploaded here: http://i65.tinypic.com/jtkifn.jpg

I designed the deck in a way that it retains the blitz nut draw (mimic-tks-smashers) and at the same time have strong mid to end game due to multiple activations of Eye of Ugin with the help of Grim Monoliths. True, Simian Spirit Guides can let you cast All is Dust, but monolith makes it more realistic.

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:22
    4 Endless One
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    2 Endbringer
    4 Oblivion Sower

Spells:14
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Warping Wail
    1 Dismember

Lands:24
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Eye of Ugin
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Dismember
    2 Trinisphere
    3 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 All Is Dust

My matchups are as follows:
    R1 & R2: Bye
    R3: Miracles - Win
    R4: Miracles - Win
    R5: Death and Taxes - Win
    R6: Merfolk - Loss
    R7: Ad Nauseam Tendrils - Win
    R8: Death and Taxes - Loss
    R9: Grixis Delver - Win
    R10: Eldrazi Mirror - Win
    R11: Merfolk - Loss
    R12: Punishing Jund - Loss
    R13: Miraxles - Win
    R14: Manaless Dredge - Win
    R15: OmniTell - Win

Keypoints
    - Turn 2 Oblivion Sower is a very strong play; backbreaking especially against the noloam version (Eldrazi Mirror)
    - Grim Monolith "realistically" lets you cast end game haymakers like Ulamog/All is Dust
    - Grim Monolith makes your Eye of Ugins more Potent
    - Grim Monolith should be viewed as the Legacy counter-part of "Noble Hierarch" from Modern Bant Eldrazi since it enables sick draws
    - Grim Monolith makes you resilient to Blood Moon
    - Grim Monolith makes the combo alternate wincon work in a way that a T2 kill is possible (T0 Leyline T1 Monolith T2 Helm)
    - Ulamog is strong against miracles; 2 of my Miracles wins are due to Ulamog exiling their Ensnaring Bridge/Moat
    - On worse matchups, which are almost unwinnable, comboing them out with Helm-Leyline works.
    - Damage from Dismembers and Ancient Tombs are real. True Name Nemesis is tough to beat
    - Jund is a very tough matchup especially when they got the DRS-Wasteland-Liliana hand
    - Thorns are horrible, tried a lot of versions of Eldrazi and I just decided to settle with Trinispheres to save SB slots as well

Feb 2015
    Brazil

For those using blue version, have you thought about using trinket mage to tutor for chalices/basilisk collar/tormod's crypt/needle?

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by cddungan View Post
    R6: Merfolk - Loss
    R11: Merfolk - Loss
    - Damage from Dismembers and Ancient Tombs are real. True Name Nemesis is tough to beat
    Can you please tell a bit more about these matchups? Why did you lose and why did they win?
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Chronatog View Post
    Can you please tell a bit more about these matchups? Why did you lose and why did they win?
    On those games, it just happened that my opening lands are Ancient Tombs. Multiple True Name Nemesis can really stop Eldrazi Offense and then suddenly steal your momentum by playing Lords. Aside from that, I believe I lost a game when my Smasher was copied by Phantasmal Image. They will not take out Force of Will; I asked both players why and they said they need to counter my All is Dust which is the best card against them. I was also cursing whenever I use Dismembers as 4 life is really a huge cost.

Well my losses came from these 4 decks:
    2 Merfolk, 1 Jund, 1 Death and Taxes

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

@cddungan: That list seems like a very solid shell for a slightly higher curve version. Have you considered/found yourself wanting for a single AID main, over e.g. a Jitte or an Endbringer? With the amount of mana you have thanks to Monoliths being awesome, it seems like you'd want some high-end power cards available - yet, the only real outlet you have is Eye of Ugin.

@cddungan: Your list is very interesting (and I will test it for sure) but... what happens if a monolith is counter? Did it often happen, in that case multiple sower and endbringer (6 cards) will be dead cards (very difficult to cast)?
    Last edited by benoasan; 01-26-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    @cddungan: That list seems like a very solid shell for a slightly higher curve version. Have you considered/found yourself wanting for a single AID main, over e.g. a Jitte or an Endbringer? With the amount of mana you have thanks to Monoliths being awesome, it seems like you'd want some high-end power cards available - yet, the only real outlet you have is Eye of Ugin.
    Not really, having Jitte is a mandatory for a deck that has a bad matchup against Death and Taxes and for life recoup. Lifeloss from Ancient Tomb and Dismembers are not to be taken lightly. Endbringers, on the other hand, are your only outs maindeck against Show and Tell and Reanimators. If ever I would consider squeezing in an All is Dust, I would probably take out 1 Oblivion Sower, but that depends metagame wise. If True Name Nemesis is popular on your local metagame, AID maindeck is a good thing.

@benoasan: So far, I haven't experienced a matchup where my monoliths got countered. Most of the time, they will wait for the spells that you would cast with the mana. If ever they counter the Monolith, then that is good. It just means you got a better chance of resolving your better spell (TKS/Chalice) on the next turn.

I want opinions on this list,

25 Land

1 Urborg, Tomb Of Yawgmoth
    4 City Of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Caves Of Koilos
    4 Wasteland
    4 Eye Of Ugin
    4 Eldrazi Temple

22 Creatures

4 Bearer Of Silence
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thought-knot Seer
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    2 Endbringer

4 Chalice Of The Void
    4 Toxic Deluge
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Do I have enough coloured mana to cast my spells?

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Placed 3rd winning $125 store credit at this EE event:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...es-Jan-28-2017
    With this list:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 6 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

// 25 Creature
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Endless One
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    1 Endbringer
    2 Oblivion Sower
    3 Matter Reshaper
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

// 4 Instant
    2 Warping Wail
    2 Dismember

// 25 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    2 Mishra's Factory

// 15 Sideboard
    // 6 Artifact
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Trinisphere

// 1 Creature
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre

// 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

// 2 Land
    SB: 2 Karakas

// 2 Sorcery
    SB: 2 All Is Dust

BUG Delver (2-0)
    This matchup is great for me and I was happy to see it. I curved nicely into mimic-TKS-smasher and easily took G1. G2 he gets a Lilianna, deathrite, and goyf into play, but I needle his deathrite and proceed to smash face.

Infect (2-1)
    On the play - turn 1 chalice turn 2 TKS GG. G2 I wail my opponents T1 glistner, but should have saved it for his t2 and t3 invigorated Blighted Agents. G3 I keep a hand with 2 needles, revoker, dismember and some sols. The key moment of the game was when I - in response to a kicked vines targeting his elf - cast dismember. De dazed dismember and I was able to pay with SSG and swing in next turn with smasher

Predict Miracles (2-0)
    On the play – mimic TKS Smasher. He had this artifact that let him look at some cards… seems bad. G2 was a 20-minute grind fest where he was left with less than 15 cards in his deck. The first all is Dust buried a jace and 3 angle tokens, the second buried 5 angle tokens and a clique. I win with 2 life.

RW Painter’s Servant (2-0)
    Very nice guy, also undefeated. We know what each other are on and agree he’s very favored. I’m on the draw and keep a seven with creatures I can cast under a blood moon (half my deck). He never sees a magus or a moon and I TKS an ensnaring bridge and smash face. G2 I see my lands get pyroblased and transformed into mountains, but ultimately I had a pithing needle and revoker on stone, a chalice on 1 and 0, and creatures that are able to attack under bridge.

Round 5 I intentionally draw into 1st seed. The top eight was my buddy on DnT, two Shardless, Grindstone, UX? Eldrazi, and two BUG (neither had fatal push!) I didn’t like my matchups and we all agreed to split the $1000 store credit. We still played top 8 to determine who gets the EE points good for BYES in local tournaments.

Death and Taxes (2-0)
    Guy I drove with. He’s running pretty much the exact 75 I have. I promptly steamroll him with mimic TKS smasher both games. Those the beats friend.

Shardless BUG (1-2)
    G1 Hymn, wasteland and a pair of goyfs do me in. G2 Recurring theme - smash to the face. Game 3 – See Game 1

I would have gotten $150 store credit at 3rd, but splitting ended up working out because my pal on DnT would have only gotten $60 and he hooked me up with some goods to compensate! Picked up a set of Thorns and some other cards and left happy.

I think once fatal push becomes more prevalent this deck will RIP. Catch meover in the new and developmental decks forum championing Eldrazi and Taxes!
    Last edited by contra; 01-29-2017 at 07:00 PM.

@ cddungan

Interesting list. I am not quite ready to go down that road yet myself. Keep us posted with your results!

@ contra

I think once fatal push becomes more prevalent this deck will RIP. Catch meover in the new and developmental decks forum championing Eldrazi and Taxes!
    I doubt Fatal Push will be much more than a better Disfigure and a 1- or 2-off in sideboards. So I dont really see the problem but please elaborate on that. And if Fatal Push should be the reason for Eldrazi dying.. shouldn't it hurt Eldrazi and Taxes even more?
    Last edited by Serapha; 01-30-2017 at 07:13 PM.

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Serapha View Post
    @ cddungan
    I doubt Fatal Push will be much more than a better Disfigure and a 1- or 2-off in sideboards. So I dont really see the problem but please elaborate on that. And if Fatal Push should be the reason for Eldrazi dying.. shouldn't it hurt Eldrazi and Taxes even more?
    while the comparison to disfigured is tempting, it really isn't apt. Push kills tks (conditionally), mimic, and endless one (always). While its not super nasty against eldrazi, it has more than enough targets in the rest of legacy (things disfigure can't kill: goyf, knight otr, leovold, Serra avenger) making it a 2-3 maindeckable card - especially next to snapcaster. This makes the deck weaker in those matchups (which also run decay for our chalice on 1)

Push is also good against eldrazi and taxes, but less so because of displacer, Thalia, and the already optimized matchup against BUG decks - goyfs and discard beats just aren't as effective. Not to mention fetchlands coming into play tapped bc of THC prevents the revolt mechanic if only for a turn.

With BUG & TNN gaining more popularity, should we start considering running 2x Engineered Plague in the SB? It could be castable from 2x Urborg (and potentially petals) even without running any B pain lands?

Rogue / Merfolk - TNN BUG
    Bird - Shardless BUG / Baleful Strix
    Human(?) - Death & Taxes
    Beast - Cavern Harpy / Aluren
    Elf - obvious
    Any other creature types worth mentioning in the current metagame?

Example deck list:
    http://www.mtgstocks.com/decks/123413

Thread Information