Page 41 of 124 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    could you tell me in which matches the SOFAI shines? jitte is the greatest card vs burn and elves imo.
    I have had trouble with any deck running Jace, TMS. It really ticks me off. LOL. I also have trouble vs Delver decks. The SOFI is good against all blue and red decks, including Grixis Delver, but more than that it gets me card draw that normally I don't see. I understand that we already have a good game against Miracles, but I'm having trouble...might just be me, but the SOFI has been fabulous in testing.

I have not lost to Elves yet, even without the Jitte's, and play against it often.

Several of our players are Top-8 or better in major tourneys, and it's possible the SoFI is a crutch for me...but in testing it is giving me what I need. Now I need to see if it works in the real world. I'll report on it. It's entirely possible that in real life it's the worst card ever.

Dave
    I will Find a way...or make one.
    Check out my wife! http://DanceKitten.com
    Card Carrying Member: Team Mind Trick
    Best.Fortune.Cookie.Evar: \"Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.\"
    Noloam said, "i lost an unloseable game against miracles, where i accidentally tapped my tomb for lethal.."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

You should run more Factories. They help against PWs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    You should run more Factories. They help against PWs.
    Good point. I had 3 in there previously, and found my mana base becoming fragile. Running your build here hasn't worked for me. Not sure why. I modified it and then took first place with my previous build a month ago, but I'm running into Delver and JTMS trouble. I'll tinker and see about adding at least 2 Mishra's Factory's. I think 3 would be better for consistency, I just don't see how to get that done without dropping cards I feel I need. Perhaps drop 1 City of Traitors, my Karakas, and the single maindeck Wastes, but I have to say I don't want to drop those.

Also, I rely on black and run 2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and don't want to drop them. I can certainly go back to a previous build, but then I feel I'm going back to old problems.

I'll run what I've got and report, then work on adding Factorys, which I think could solve other issues.

It's all such a fine balancing act....
    I will Find a way...or make one.
    Check out my wife! http://DanceKitten.com
    Card Carrying Member: Team Mind Trick
    Best.Fortune.Cookie.Evar: \"Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.\"
    Noloam said, "i lost an unloseable game against miracles, where i accidentally tapped my tomb for lethal.."

Mar 2007

Careful when trying to cast C spells with Lotus Petal. I misclicked and it resulted in a game-losing bug when trying to cast it with double Petal.

Turns out you can't undo or cancel shit, locking up the game, so you can either just concede or wait to time out. Good thing it happened in G2 and I still took down G3 vs Aggro Loam.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Careful when trying to cast C spells with Lotus Petal. I misclicked and it resulted in a game-losing bug when trying to cast it with double Petal.

Turns out you can't undo or cancel shit, locking up the game, so you can either just concede or wait to time out. Good thing it happened in G2 and I still took down G3 vs Aggro Loam.
    Thats another reason to play the ape ^^. You can always rewind his abillity. Im glad you won from him. He was my only loss in my 4-1 run yesterday. He drew 3 wastelands naturally. This guy.....

I see many lists running 3/4 matter reshaper...I cut them after 2 weeks of testing...I do understand that they are good card advantage against liliana/baleful/decay/waste decks...but aside this imho minimal advantage...are they worthy 3/4 slots?

Sent from my LG-H525n using Tapatalk

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by the_goat View Post
    I see many lists running 3/4 matter reshaper...I cut them after 2 weeks of testing...I do understand that they are good card advantage against liliana/baleful/decay/waste decks...but aside this imho minimal advantage...are they worthy 3/4 slots?

Sent from my LG-H525n using Tapatalk
    If you play wastelands, they are great. you can play threats and destroy lands. If you dont run wastelands, they are sometimes silly. in my nonwasteland build i play 3

btw,gratz with your 5-0 btw hocuspocus!
    Thanks ! :)
    I will try an other run next week to see if i just been lucky or of this build is really strong.

yes i also saw that list. i never tested it, but i love to see how sower works. i cutted my 2nd urborg for now (in my wasteland list), i drew the 2nd piece to many times late game. i have a hard time justifying 3 of them. but i guess you need the for your fatties
    3 urborg seems ugly but i didn't have so much issue in five games : sometimes i drew multiple legendary lands i couldn't cast but games were allready in control by my side.
    At worst, urborg turn multiple copies of eye / urborg as lotus petal.
    The other reason to play so much urborg with sower is to turn on fetchlands you stole from your opponent
    And dismember become a much better removal.

Obviously this build is really good at activating eye and crushing miracle.
    I think this build is much resilient to blood moon than traditional one with generic mana casting cost of oblivion sower.
    I also should run somes copies of all is dust which didn't fit with my previous wasteland / amethyst build.

I didn't play vs shardless yet but i have great hopes with sower acting as a bigger tarmo and black mana to cast dismember.
    Also sower get all fetchlands they removed with DRS
    Maybe this is too much optimistic ... ^^

Hey Barook, I had the same problem when i tried your build but fortunalty i was reimbursed after submitted a bug report to mtgo : http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/668

If you play wastelands, they are great. you can play threats and destroy lands. If you dont run wastelands, they are sometimes silly. in my nonwasteland build i play 3
    you play 3 even if they are sometimes silly...why not replacing them? when they are not silly what is the benefit? i mean...the benefit worhty 3 slots?

May 2016
    The Netherlands

you play 3 even if they are sometimes silly...why not replacing them? when they are not silly what is the benefit? i mean...the benefit worhty 3 slots?
    because you need them vs burn, tempo and fast aggro decks. the other possibilties are just worse. eye + solland and 2 of these dudes is still great

because you need them vs burn, tempo and fast aggro decks. the other possibilties are just worse. eye + solland and 2 of these dudes is still great
    ok...i agree you can have a stellar opening hand and dump 2 of them on turn 2...but against burn chalice/thorn t1 is good enough to slow their deck down...and i'd rather play t2 thought knot seer to get rid of price of progress or vortex...i will test them again...at the moment i replaced them with 2 warping wail (playset maindeck) and 1 spatial contortion..

apart burn/aggro decks is there any other matchup where they shine?

May 2016
    The Netherlands

ok...i agree you can have a stellar opening hand and dump 2 of them on turn 2...but against burn chalice/thorn t1 is good enough to slow their deck down...and i'd rather play t2 thought knot seer to get rid of price of progress or vortex...i will test them again...at the moment i replaced them with 2 warping wail (playset maindeck) and 1 spatial contortion..

apart burn/aggro decks is there any other matchup where they shine?
    i dont Always have chalice and thorn is only slowing them down (which almost does nothing on the draw). if he plays a goblin guide T1, then you are only able to block turn 2 or 3 with TKS. If he bolts the seer, you are in big trouble. the reshaper makes good trades and makes you ramp into bigger creatures. warping wail does almost nothing vs burn.

well against all tempo decks they are great. only vs elves, combo and control they are not impressive.

i dont Always have chalice and thorn is only slowing them down (which almost does nothing on the draw). if he plays a goblin guide T1, then you are only able to block turn 2 or 3 with TKS. If he bolts the seer, you are in big trouble. the reshaper makes good trades and makes you ramp into bigger creatures. warping wail does almost nothing vs burn.

well against all tempo decks they are great. only vs elves, combo and control they are not impressive.
    100% agreed...i promise i will retest them...unfortunately not tonight as i built the deck already and i am at work...
    in my local metagame (8 aficionados playing same deck since 2 years and 10 other players randomly rotating to weekly meetings) we have:

1 or 2 miracles
    1 ANT
    1 lands
    1 12 post
    2 or 3 delver variants (4c delver/bug/ur)
    1 shardless
    2 burn
    2 eldrazi (one is me)
    2 blade variants (esper blade/deathblade etc.)

I recently started to play in side 2 copies of zuran orb...against burn they are obviously nuts...but i loved them in the mirror (i have nothing better in side and I do not want chalices) and against ur delver too...

May 2016
    The Netherlands

100% agreed...i promise i will retest them...unfortunately not tonight as i built the deck already and i am at work...
    in my local metagame (8 aficionados playing same deck since 2 years and 10 other players randomly rotating to weekly meetings) we have:

1 or 2 miracles
    1 ANT
    1 lands
    1 12 post
    2 or 3 delver variants (4c delver/bug/ur)
    1 shardless
    2 burn
    2 eldrazi (one is me)
    2 blade variants (esper blade/deathblade etc.)

I recently started to play in side 2 copies of zuran orb...against burn they are obviously nuts...but i loved them in the mirror (i have nothing better in side and I do not want chalices) and against ur delver too...
    yes zuran orb also seems great to me. perhaps they are even OK, vs tempo. because you fatties Always beat them in the long run and you can respond to wasteland. i Always wanted to test that card. i love to hear results

Mar 2007

Just played DrGenial. He's back to the colorless build. While Obligator is good, the colorless version is more stable for him. I guess I'll don't bother with the RWg version, then.

As for the match itself, I threw away G2 because I had the kill on board if I had played Ancient Tomb to activate Factory, but saw it too late. G3 was won with an unblocked Reality Smasher + Spatial Contortion for exactly 8 life. That's a first, too. Now I'm 10-0 vs the colorless Eldrazi build in matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus View Post
    Hey Barook, I had the same problem when i tried your build but fortunalty i was reimbursed after submitted a bug report to mtgo : http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/668
    Didn't get jackshit because I still won the match.

tested tonight following list

4 factories
    4 caverns
    4 tombs
    4 temples
    3 eyes
    3 cities
    2 urborg
    1 tower of the magistrate

4 smasher
    4 tks
    2 ssg
    4 mimic
    2 matter reshaper
    2 endbringer
    4 endless one

3 warping wail
    2 dismember
    4 chalices
    2 thorn of ametist
    2 jitte

side
    4 leyline
    2 null rod
    2 zuran orb
    2 all is dust
    2 revoker
    2 ratchet bomb

round1 vs pox
    i realize he is on pox from the basic swamp + cursed scroll start, i decided to play around wasteland and pox keeping my sol land in hand with ssg and mana open for wail, i drew another wail and i use it to exile his first bloodghast, he plays another and i decide to remove it too, i then play tks with factory open for an eventual sacrifice and i exile liliana, leaving him with lingering soul. he cast it and i reply with endbringer, i spend few turns pinging his fliers and he spends them back flashbacking the souls. i resolve 1 thorn and chalice for 1 and i finish him slowly by pinging him/drawing. g2 i have leyline and nuts start with sol land into chalice into sol land into tks - i see he does not have 3rd land for liliana but i decide to exile it anyway...he draws third land but his game is compromised. 1-0

round2 vs lands
    nemesis deck - it's getting popular in my lgs...tonight there were 2...i win die roll and mulligan to 5 i keep chalice sol land tks thorn smasher, i cast chalice for 0 and thorn scrying mishra factory on top, i slow him down but i am struggling finding 3rd land, meanwhile he finds crop rotation to slowly assemble the combo and finishes me with 20/20 annoying legend. g2 i have leyline for his loam/fire recursion but he manages to naturally drew the combo...i have a feeling this is a truly unwinnable matchup. 1-1

round3 vs punishing jund
    i win the die roll i start with nuts hand sol land chalice sol land tks followed by second tks, he scoops when he does not draw 3rd land. g2 i have leyline but he manages to win due to liliana + toughtseize...g3 i have double leyline and thorn...i have him stuck on 3 lands...i cast tks and i see double goyf (at the time humble 3/4 due to leyline) and hymn to tourach...i exile this one as I am putting pressure with tks and i have all is dust in hand...he peels from top 4th land cast double goyf, i still feel safe with all is dust...even if i will have to sac my leylines...i draw reshaper and play it...he draws liliana makes me sac..i sac reshaper...and i reveal thorn...i play it, thinking it;s a good move and i screw it up...as i will never be able to cast all is dust...that now costs 8...he manages to discard my all is dust with thoughtseize...his goyf have now tribal + sorcery! they are huge and they force me to chump...game over...bad beets...1-2

round4 vs burn
    i win the first thanks to chalice + tks exiling his pop...g2 i take too many damages from my tomb and one pop for 6 means game over...g3 i start tomb into chalice for one city into chalice for 2 cavern smasher and i win with him looking sadly at the board...i did not need the 2 zuran orbs to win...but i was hoping so badly to have them in opening hand...2-2

sad but true..one stupid mistake prevented me to winning some prize (payout is only for 3-1 and 4-0)
    I will give it a try again next Monday...overall i like the list...but I feel I want pithing needle over revoker...and perhaps the helm combo instead of null rod...

May 2015
    PDX

@the_goat Looking at the 2 Zuran Orb (without Crucible), you might consider straight-up Sheltered Valley as a sb swap for Urborg or Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    @the_goat Looking at the 2 Zuran Orb (without Crucible), you might consider straight-up Sheltered Valley as a sb swap for Urborg or Tower.
    zuran orb is there as a counter for price of progress and as a tech for the mirror...to recycle extra eyes/urborg and to mitigate too many tomb activation or dismember...sheltered valley will not help against burn...sure i gain 1 or 2 lives but then price burns me to death...crucible is an interesting card...will try to test it...

Went 1-3 last night, my worst performance in 3 months. I was really tired and just drew poorly. played against

rug delver (1-0)

burn (1-1) i'm now 5-1 against burn, so thats a thing. I felt burn way nearly a bye until getting SMASHED in these 2 games. to be fair he killed me from 10 while i was attacking for lethal.

imperial taxes (1-2)

bloodmoonred (1-3)

It was awful. bringing my record in matches to 56-28-3...That one hurt. i've really been thinking about running 4 eye 2 urborg and a couple main deck all is dust...Any one have any experience with similar lists?

May 2016
    The Netherlands

i find it funny that a lot of decks are playing blood moon as hatepiece vs eldrazi. they lock out themselves a lot of times also. just won vs UWR blade who just got raced, while bloodmoonlocking himself LEL

i just 5-0'ed.

-Colorless eldrazi (drgenial ^^)
    -UR
    -White eldrazi
    -Infect
    -UWR blade

i dont know about the tower mainboard. perhaps it should be another wasteland or the 2e urborg. i want to play the tower, but its hard for me to find the slots. i dont really find room for it in the sideboard also :(. i will have a chat about this with riehu
    Last edited by Noloam_; 05-27-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Thread Information