Page 84 of 124 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2465

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by pateuglow View Post
    I do not profess to be exceptional - I do think I mulliganed too aggressively. I have also found streaming makes playing the decks much more difficult, as I'm trying to explain and get suggestions from chat etc etc.

Only way to go is up I suppose
    yes i really understand that. perhaps you are doubting more on stream about hands. dont worry, eldrazi is an rewarding deck for practice ;)

i do appreciate that you play my list. i hope the sideboardguide that i and darkness wrote (that will be posted today), may guide you in your boarding decisions
    Eldrazi stompy list: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/noloam

sideboard guide can be found on page 84

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    4 ancient tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    2 Vesuva
    1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    4 Eye of Ugin
    4 Glimmerpost

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Warping Wail
    4 Thought-Knot Seer

4 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 All Is Dust

3 Voltaic Key
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Basalt Monolith
    4 Thran Dynamo

3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    1 Kozilek butcher

SB: 2 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 pithing needle
    SB: 2 Warping Wail
    SB: 4 leyline of the void
    SB: 4 Spatial Contortion
    SB: 1 zuran orb

I played this list Sunday in a tournament of 60 players.
    6 rounds in Switzerland and I finished first at the end of the 6 rounds

game 1 vs ant 2/0
    game 2 vs infect 2/0
    game 3 vs bug 2/0
    game 4 grixis (decay main deck) 2/0
    game 5 miracle 2/1 (top player italian angelo cadei)
    game 6 Death and taxes flap

top vs miracle (angelo cadei) lose 1/2 (g2 and g3 only 3 land....)

I find the really strong and competitive bunch.

tips and advice
    Amazing job Caprino. What did you like/dislike about your build?

Also, did you ever get a chance to test this list....

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post975259

If so, what did you like or dislike about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Amazing job Caprino. What did you like/dislike about your build?

Also, did you ever get a chance to test this list....

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post975259

If so, what did you like or dislike about it?
    wasteland is a problem
    Delver is a problem

However, your deck is fast mana in the early rounds ... the matches that I won have been dropping Ulamog the third round, or all is dust wurms Kozilek etc.

I agree. Kozilek and Ulamog turn 4 are ridiculously powerful. The list I linked to more consistently find and cast them since it has 8 built in tutors for them. Its also extremely strong against decks relying on counter magic to control the board like Miracles and BUG.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

@caprino: seems like you should be playing 1-2 copies of Karakas to your list just so you can keep bouncing and casting your eldrazi fatties. How important are the voltaic keys? Seems suboptimal with chalice.

@everyone else: How does eldrazy stompy beat lands? I've been playing around with this deck some and it just seems like we are an absolute dog to lands. Any suggestions out there?

Tsabo's Web, Pithing Needle, Leyline of the Void, Relic of Progenitus, Faerie Macabre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I've been doing well with the Leyline of the Voids. They stop the Life from the Loam and Punishing Fire combo, gives you time to beat them down. Also, Needle is great against Maze of Ith, Wasteland and Thespian Stage, and your Wastelands can stop their opposing Maze of Iths and Glacial Chasm. All in all, I agree it's not a good matchup but you do have a solid post board game plan against their strategy.

On a sidenote, Noloam is in the final steps of verifying our guide and it will be posted no later than tomorrow!
    Last edited by Darkness; 10-26-2016 at 10:35 PM.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    @caprino: seems like you should be playing 1-2 copies of Karakas to your list just so you can keep bouncing and casting your eldrazi fatties. How important are the voltaic keys? Seems suboptimal with chalice.

@everyone else: How does eldrazy stompy beat lands? I've been playing around with this deck some and it just seems like we are an absolute dog to lands. Any suggestions out there?
    leyline, needle, wasteland, chalice + prayer. the match is bad

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post

The keys are very important because for artifacts allow you to do much mana and to launch the big creatures in the first 4 rounds.

The Karakas do not find them important, I guarantee that once you've played 2 Ulamog your opponent concedes.
    chalice is no problem

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I have just picked up Eldrazi online and have been loving it. I am currently 40-11 with Noloam's 75. That puts me at 78% win loss ratio which is ridiculous. I had trouble the first few times I played the deck earlier this year primarily due to side boarding decisions. The list is similar to a combo deck where it is trying to be very consistent every game and side boarding out the wrong cards can break that consistency and will dilute the power of the deck. Understanding what cards are important in which match ups are critical since we do not have general counter spells or discard which can hit all different types of relevant cards per match up, instants, sorcery, artifacts, creatures esc. Here is the side boarding guide for Noloam's 75 that he and I have been working on for about a week, it covers the most common decks in legacy, there are a few rare ones missing but you should be able to decipher what cards are good and why they are good for other match ups based on this guide.

Eldrazi Stompy
    Sideboarding Guide

List

Creatures (25)

4 - Endless One
    4 - Eldrazi Mimic
    4 - Matter Reshaper
    4 - Thought-Knot Seer
    4 - Reality Smasher
    3 - Simian Spirit Guide
    2 - Oblivion Sower

Artifacts (6)

4 - Chalice of the Void
    2 - Umezawa’s Jitte

Instants (4)

2 - Warping Wail
    2 - Dismember

Lands (25)

4 - Ancient Tomb
    4 - Cavern of Souls
    4 - Eldrazi Temple
    4 - Eye of Ugin
    3 - Mishra’s Factory
    3 - Wasteland
    2 - City of Traitors
    1 - Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard (15)

4 - Thorn of Amethyst
    4 - Leyline of the Void
    2 - All is Dust
    2 - Ratchet Bomb
    1 - Endbringer
    1 - Pithing Needle
    1 - Karakas

Match Ups

Miracles

-3 Matter Reshaper (No value vs. Swords to Plowshares and Terminus)
    -3 Simian Spirit Guide (This is an early game card and the games will go long. Blow outs into over exposure into Terminus cause losses)
    -2 City of Traitors (This is an early game card games will go late)
    -2 Umezawa’s Jitte (You don’t want to draw both in the late game, it is still fine vs Monastery Mentor, Vendilion Clique and Snapcaster Mage)

+ 2 Ratchet Bomb (Catch all vs Counterbalance, Back to Basics, Angel and Mentor tokens, Blood Moon and Moat)
    + 1 Pithing Needle (Good vs. Sensei’s Divining Top and Jace)
    + 4 Thorn of Amethyst (Slows them down, makes their cantrips less effective)
    + 1 All is Dust (Against a overloaded board of Mentor or Angel tokens, Jace, Blood Moon, Back to Basics and Moat)
    + 1 Karakas (Better lategame than city and it bounces Vendilion Clique/Venser)
    + 1 Endbringer (Good threat and is a great source of card advantage)

Grixis/BUG/RUG Delver

No Boarding (Your matchup is good from the start do not dilute they deck from what it is already doing)

Shardless BUG

-3 Simian Spirit Guide (This is an early game card and the games will go long)

+2 All is Dust (Cleans the board after a stalemate)
    +1 Endbringer (Good threat and is a great source of card advantage)

Jund

+2 All is Dust (Cleans the board after a stalemate)

Death & Taxes

-4 Chalice of the Void (It gets bounced by Flickerwisp and only catches Swords to Plowshares and Aether Vial. They board out the moms after boarding of course)

+1 Pithing Needle (Good against Wasteland, Aether Vial, Mangara, Stoneforge Mystic)
    +2 All is Dust (It is not the best strategy as their game plan is to deny you access to your mana. However, if the games go late and you have your mana it helps clean up the board.)
    +1 Karakas (Helps to escape the mana denial plan and bounces Thalia)

Eldrazi

-4 Chalice of the Void (no targets)

+2 Ratchet Bomb (Shuts down big Endless Ones)
    +1 Karakas (Extra land vs Wasteland)

Storm

-4 Matter Reshaper (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)
    -2 Oblivion Sower (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)
    -2 Dismember (No valid targets)
    -2 Umezawa’s Jitte (This card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)

+4 Thorn of Amethyst (Slows them down, makes their cantrips less effective)
    +4 Leyline of the Void (Gets Past in Flames, Cabal Therapy, if they try to flash back with Goblin tokens and Cabal Ritual)
    +2 Ratchet Bomb (Gets Empty the Warrens mainly, but can clean up their Lion’s Eye Diamonds and Lotus Petals if they are scared for a Chalice of the Void on zero. Play them before your Chalice hits the board)

Elves

-2 Oblivion Sower (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)
    -2 Matter Reshaper (Mediocre, doesn’t disrupt what they are trying to do)
    -1 Dismember (You take too much damage, you can get raced afterwards if you have an Ancient Tomb in play since they can swarm you)

+2 All is Dust (If you Though-Knot Seer their Glimpse of Nature or Natural Order, you slow them down and can flush their board afterwards)
    +2 Ratchet Bomb (Catch all against since most of their deck consists of one drops)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Good vs Deathrite Shaman, Wirewood Symbiotic and Quiron Ranger)

Omni-Tell

-2 Matter Reshaper (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)

+1 Endbringer (Stops Emrakul from attacking)
    +1 Karakas (Can bounce Show and Tell Emrakul)

Sneak Attack

-3 Matter Reshaper (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)

+4 Thorn of Amethyst (Makes cantrips less effective, slows them down)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Stops Sneak Attack)
    +1 Endbringer (Stops Emrakul and Griselbrand from attacking)
    +1 Karakas (Can bounce Show and Tell Emrakul and Griselbrand)

Lands

-1 Warping Wail (Mediocre too few targets, Gamble and Life from the Loam)

+4 Leyline of the Void (Locks out their Life from the Loam and their Punishing Fire)
    +1 Karakas (Bounces Marit Lage and good versus Wasteland)

Infect

-1 Oblivion Sower (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)

+1 Pithing Needle (Shuts down Inkmoth Nexus)

Stoneblade Variants

+2 All is Dust (Catches all (True-Name Nemsis, Batterskull Germ, Jace, Stoneforge Mystics, Snapcaster Mage, Lingering Soul Tokens, Hierarchs, Sylvan Libraries)
    +1 Endbringer (games always go to the late game, so it’s great vs Batterskull and it shoots down Baleful Strix)

Burn

-1 Ancient Tomb (You don’t want to help the burn deck)
    -2 Dismember (You don’t want to help the burn deck)
    -2 Oblivion Sower (Card is too slow)

+1 Karakas (Better than Ancient tomb)
    +4 Thorn of Amethyst (Helps to slow them down and to prevent the Ensnaring Bridge from hitting the board)

Reanimator

-2 Oblivion Sower (This card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)

+1 Karakas (Bounces the Griselbrand, Elesh Norn and Jin-Gitaxias when they hit play)
    +4 Leyline of the Void (Locks out the graveyard package)
    +4 Thorn of Amethyst (Makes cantrips less effective and slows them down)

Mavericks

-4 Chalice of the Void (Not enough targets and can they play Cavern of Souls)

+1 Endbringer (Taps Knight of the Reliquary and helps break Standstills)
    +2 All is Dust (Helps to clear the board in a standstill)
    +1 Karakas (Helps vs Wasteland and Thalia and to make it easier to All is Dust)

Oops All Spells

-1 Dismember (Targets only the Undercity Informer, when they do not have mana up to use it)

+4 Leyline of the Void (Locks out the graveyard package)
    +4 Thorn of Amethyst (Makes fast mana less effective, slows them down)

Dredge

-2 Oblivion Sower (Comes out to slowly doesn’t help breaks standstills)
    -2 Dismember (Doesn’t help when you are being swarmed)
    -2 Umezawa's Jitte (Doesn't help when being swarmed, costs a lot of mana to get live, you'll spend early turns doing other things more effective.

+4 Leyline of the Void (Nullifies their graveyard strategy completely)
    +2 Ratchet Bomb (Clears all Zombie tokens made by Bridge from Below)

Manaless Dredge

-2 Oblivion Sower (Comes out to slowly doesn’t help breaks standstills)
    -2 Dismember (Doesn’t help when you are being swarmed)
    -2 Warping Wail (Though it can counter the first of Cabal Therapy and Dread return, it doesn’t stop the sac flashback for each, which is what enables their Bridge from Below engine)
    -2 Umezawa’s Jitte (Comes down to slowly doesn’t clean up standstills fast enough)

+4 Leyline of the Void (Hit their graveyard to lock them out of the game)
    +4 Thorn of Amethyst (They have no mana so it will permanently lock the from casting Cabal Therapy or Dread Return)

Grixis Tezzerator

-4 Chalice of the Void (No targets as they run it)
    -2 Warping Wails (Not enough targets to keep in post board)
    -1 Umezawa’s Jitte (Comes down to slowly doesn’t disrupt what they are doing)

+4 Leyline of the Void (Stops their Thopter Foundry Combo)
    +2 Ratchet Bombs (Destroys Thopter Tokens, Thopter Foundry, Ensnaring Bridge and Blood
    Moon)
    +2 All is Dust (Kills All Planeswalkers, Blood Moon, The Abyss, Nether Void, Thopter Foundry and Thopter tokens)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Stops Tezzeret, Jace, Dack Fayden and Thoper Foundry, lots of application)

4c Loam

-4 Chalice of the Void (No targets as they run it)
    -2 Warping Wail (Doesn’t hit enough targets to be valued in matchup)

+4 Leyline of the Void (Stops their Life from the Loam lock, Knight of the Reliquary growing and Punishing Fire lock)
    +2 All is Dust (Cleans up Board from all their permanents late game)

UR Delver

-1 Ancient Tomb (You don’t want to help the burn deck)
    -2 Dismember (You don’t want to help the burn deck)
    -2 Oblivion Sower (Comes down too late and makes price of progress even more awkward)

+1 Karakas (Better than Ancient Tomb damage)
    +4 Thorn of Amethyst (Makes cantrips less effective, slows down their burn package)

G/B Turbo Depths

-2 Dismember (Too few Targets)
    -1 Oblivion Sower(Too slow and doesn't disrupt what they are doing)

+1 Karakas (Bounces Maret Lage)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Stops Wasteland lock, Vampire Hexman, Thespian Stage, Knight of the Reliquary, Deathrite Shaman, Sensei’s Divining Top and Expedition Map)
    +1 Endbringer (Great Threat and Taps Marit Lage token and Knight of the Reliquary)
    +2 Ratchet Bomb (Hits Deathrite Shaman, Dark Confidant, Sylvan Library and Knight of the Reliquary)

12 Post

+1 Pithing Needle (Helps against Expedition Map, Sensei’s Divining Top, Candelabra, Ugin the Spirit Dragon and Eye of Ugin)
    +1 Endbringer (Good end game Threat and taps their Primeval Titan, Emrakuls, or Ulamog.)

Aluren

-2 Oblivion Sower (Comes down too slowly and doesn’t disrupt their combo)

+2 All is Dust (Catch all for if the game goes late)

Merfolk

-4 Chalice of the Void (They also run Chalice of the Void and have Cavern of Souls)
    -2 Warping Wail (It only hits Silvergail Adept and Curse Catcher but not if they have a lord effect)

+2 Ratchet Bomb (Their Lords are all two drops and helps sweep their board)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Hits Aether Vial, Wasteland and Mutavault)
    +1 Endbringer (Can target Phantasmal Image and is just better then Warping Wail)

MUD

-4 Chalice of the Void (They also run Chalice of the Void and have Cavern of Souls)
    -1 Warping Wail (Not enough targets to use post board)

+1 Pithing Needle (Hits Mishra’s Factory, Karn Liberated, Wasteland, Umezawa’s Jitte and Kuldotha Forgemaster)
    +1 Karakas (Helps to avoid Wasteland disruption)
    +1 Endbringer (Helps to match their bigger creatures)
    +2 Ratchet Bomb (A bad card due to their big mana costs, but better than Chalice of the Void or Warping Wail)

Pox

-2 Oblivion Sower (To expensive to effectively cast vs their land hate)
    -2 Dismember (To few targets apart from Mishra’s Factory)

+1 Pithing Needle (Good vs their Lilianas, Wasteland and Mishra’s Factory)
    +2 Ratchet Bomb (Good vs Ensnaring Bridge)
    +1 Karakas (Helps to avoid Wasteland disruption)

Nic Fit

-3 Simian Spirit Guide (You will go into late game explosiveness is not as relevant)
    -2 Umezawa’s Jitte (Not very impressive, only if the run Baleful Strix)
    -1 Matter Reshaper (Not very impressive doesn’t pair well vs their fatties)

+4 Leyline of the Void (vs Veteran Explorer, Recurring Nightmare, Cabal Therapy and Eternal Witness)
    +2 All is Dust (The primary purpose is to rid the board of Planeswalkers and break late game standstills)

Goblins

+1 Pithing Needle (Hits Aether Vial, Rishadan Port and Wasteland)
    +1 Karakas (Helps prevent land Disruption, also bounces Thalia if they are running it pasteboard which can assist casting a crucial All is Dust)

Tin Fins

-2 Matter Reshaper (The card is too slow and has no disruption to their combo)
    -2 Warping Wail (Too slow and they play more instant speed reanimates compared to traditional Reanimator)

+1 Karakas (Bounces the Griselbrand or Emrakul when they hit play)
    +4 Leyline of the Void (Locks out their graveyard package completely)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Hits Griselbrand or Children of Korlis)

Painter’s Servant

-2 Oblivion Sower (Comes down too slowly and doesn’t disrupt their combo)
    -1 Matter Reshaper (Does not interact with their combo enough)

+2 Ratchet Bomb (Helps disrupt the Painter’s Servant Grindstone interaction and can take out pesky permanents like Blood Moon, Magus of the moon and Ensnaring Bridge)
    +1 Pithing Needle (Hits Sensei’s Divining Top, Goblin Welder, Grindstone and Jaya Ballard)
    Last edited by Darkness; 11-15-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Jun 2015
    MA

Love the sideboard guide. Thanks!!
    Streaming on Twitch! twitch.tv/leavingalegacy

Co-host of Leaving a Legacy

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Wow! Excellent work! Thank you guys!

May 2016
    The Netherlands

i hope this will help. i took us some time to run this through

Jun 2015
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    i hope this will help. i took us some time to run this through
    It is appreciated! btw, ran through the CLL last night again on UR Delver this time, only 2 outrageous punts, went 4-0, 8-1 in games
    Streaming on Twitch! twitch.tv/leavingalegacy

Co-host of Leaving a Legacy

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by pateuglow View Post
    It is appreciated! btw, ran through the CLL last night again on UR Delver this time, only 2 outrageous punts, went 4-0, 8-1 in games
    well done man. I hope that you will grow in your results. i kinda went off the rails with my previous comment. I find if very hard to match people make even the slightest mistakes with the deck :).

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    leyline, needle, wasteland, chalice + prayer. the match is bad
    The Endbringer / Oblivion Sower flex slots helps tremendously too.

Edit: I actually keep Warping Wails vs Dredge. The token can self-sac to exile bridges.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by fireiced View Post
    The Endbringer / Oblivion Sower flex slots helps tremendously too.

Edit: I actually keep Warping Wails vs Dredge. The token can self-sac to exile bridges.
    i have a hard time even casting TKS. and im running SCG. so endbringer and sower are just not happening most of the time (due to port, wasteland, ghost Q)

Yes the wails should be in there. that is an error from my part. ive asked darkness to adjust this

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Just a note on the Tin Fins matchup, most builds will bring in Stoneforge Mystic w/ Skull and Jitte, Monastery Mentors and Swords to Plowshares from the board. Worth keeping in mind.

Good job on the SBing notes, very helpful. Maybe we can get it in the original post? It would be useful to have it pinned somewhere easy to be directed to for when people asking about SBing advice. If the original post can't be changed then maybe a link to the post in your sigs?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

What is you reason for leaving Karakas in the board against BG Turbo Depths? It should be in there, as well as against 4Colour Loam if you see Dark Depths game 1 i guess.

Other than that, great work so far! I am just getting back into legacy after a unpreventable sellout and there finally is a "stable" stompy deck. I will probably be a regular on this thread in the short future.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStarDeceiver View Post
    What is you reason for leaving Karakas in the board against BG Turbo Depths? It should be in there, as well as against 4Colour Loam if you see Dark Depths game 1 i guess.

Other than that, great work so far! I am just getting back into legacy after a unpreventable sellout and there finally is a "stable" stompy deck. I will probably be a regular on this thread in the short future.
    lol yeah thats another mistake. I should but 1 sower i guess for that vs turbo depths. against 4 color loam it is not the best. the dephsplan is just a sideplan

Thread Information