Page 43 of 124 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    I also wonder, why you whould play all is dust & thorn is some matches? I never do that.
    This. Thorn and All is Dust is a nonbo.

As for All is Dust, third time's the charm. At least my opponent took it with humor that he got AiDs 3 times in a row.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

hahaha thats great :). i hope shardless will leave the building soon

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

I finally got around to playing a tournament with this monstrosity:

4 Eldrazi Mimic
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Matter Reshaper
    2 World Breaker

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Warping Wail
    2 Spatial Contortion
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Forcefield

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Brushland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Eye of Ugin
    2 Karakas
    2 Mishra's Factory

4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethist
    3 All Is Dust
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Spatial Contortion
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Endbringer

Went 3-0-2 in the round robin, beating deadguy ale, delver and aggro loam. Ended up losing to the Deadguy player in the top 8 when he ran out triple wasteland, double vindicate, hardcast shriekmaw on a TKS, then I couldn't get enough lands and started discarding Reality Smashers.

The deck is great fun. I am missing a 3rd Eye (cannot find it). All is Dust is amazing, but of course, not when you are being wastelanded 5 times.

From what little I know, Matter Reshaper is ridiculously good. I never managed to even draw one World Breaker, but have been good had I drawn it when I had more than one land in play :P

3 Warping Wail and 2/1 Spatial Contortion are amazing. Didn't play Storm or Reanimator, but I did bring in Leylines against the Loam player.

A lot of Eldrazi means I will use Obligators. Maybe even Kozilek's Return since I will be able to cast it.

Either way, a decent start, seems fun?

Played a gpt today, 5 rounds. went 3-2. the meta has really shifted lately as i'm not 4-0ing and 3-1ing every event anymore.

rd 1 elves 2-0 chalice does work he never saw a cavern.

rd 2 12 post 0-2. He won the die roll and was always one step ahead of me and a mull to 4 game 2 sucked.

rd 3 grixis delver 2-0 smashed him both games i won game 2 at 1 life.

rd 4 rug delver 1-2 he is a friend of mine so we knew it was fairly die-roll dependent . He won the die roll. I lost with him at 3.

rd 5 lands 2-0 He has turn three merit liege i have karakas . Game two i mull to 6 he plays a stage, i play an ancient tomb and a lotus petal he plays a dark depths and passes. i e.o.t. a warping wail to make a dude .Untap, play an eldrazi temple play a endbringer . The game ends a few turns later with a factory and mimic attacks.

Really liked the list i played ,i would make some changes but i want to think about it .

More thoughts later.
    Last edited by metronome2charisma; 05-30-2016 at 01:23 AM.

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

So I won a local legacy event today we had 26 players and we were playing for a Tundra!

This is the list I ended up playing it's noloam's list -2 thorns in the SB + 2 spatial contortion, our meta tend not to have a lot of combo decks and more creatures. I don't remember all my matches in details but I will do my best:

Rd1 Manaless Dredge 1-0

I have played against this player before and I know what deck he is on, so I win the die roll and proceed to choose to draw first I win game 1 with something like turn 1 mimic, turn 2 reshaper turn 3 TKS.

G2: I tried to mull into leyline failed and lost.

G3: I have a leyline in my opened and I win.

Rd2 2-0

I get paired against a friend that is playing UWR Delver, we playtested before and I knew this MU can be hard.

G1: He gets a batterskull in play and I can't find a way to deal with it.

G2: I have a CoV on 1 and CoV2, eventually I landed a Smasher and won.

G3: I don't remember this game very well but I think I resolved a CoV=1 early and was able to resolve my creatures.

Rd 3 3-0

OmniTell

G1: he combos me on turn 2.

G2: I play a sphere of resistance on turn 1, which turned out to be just enough to keep him from going off.

G3: TSK on turn 2 takes a SnT from his hand, after that I played a thorn, the game got interesting when my opp cast cunning wish and realized he forgot to move his intuition from his deck back to his SB and I won.

Rd4 4-0

Shardless BUG

G1: I'm able to curve out perfectly with mimic, reshaper, TKS and Smasher.

G2: I didn't draw enough creatures and he played Scavenge Ooze and Goyf and beat me when I couldn't answer his threats.

G3: I keep an aggressive hand since we have very few time on the round, we actually didn't have enough time to finish the game but I was playing down, and the board looked in my favor so my opp was nice to concede to me.

Rd 5 5-0

Goblins

G1: My opp tells me he is a new player and if he does anything weird or wrong not to get too upset, he keeps a hand that doesn't really do anything until turn 3 when he plays a lackey, I kill it with wail, the following turn I TKS and I see a hand with Krenko and Blood Moon, I have jitte in hand so I take blood moon and let him keep krenko, eventually I have TKS and smasher with jitte equiped and win the game.

G2: I play a TSK turn 2 and see a hand with 2 blood moons and one rabblemaster I take rabblemaster, next I play a 4/4 endless one and win the game.

I really wanted to play the last round to try to be the top seed going into top 8.

Quarter Finals

Reanimator

G1: Ok so at this point I think I was already super lucky to beat OmniTell and now I have to beat another hard MU. My opener was just too slow to beat reanimator and had not disruption, my 6 was a little better, he kept a hand with no lands, I play a mimic on turn 1, he draws doesn't play a land and discards Tyrant, I play TKS see a hand with 2 petals, exhume, animate dead, careful study and probe; I think I take careful study. He never drew a land and I kept playing creatures.

G2: I have leyline in my opener, he can't really do much and I just kept playing creatures every turn.

Semi Finals

I play the same UWR Delver player from the swiss.

G1: I have to mull to 5 and lost to double delvers, funny though I actually had the win on the swing back with two smashers so not bad for a mull to 5.

G2: I resolve a CoV=1 later tower deals with a germ token also in the same turn I play a needle naming batterskull, smasher+TKS takes care of the game.

G3: We both mull to 6, I don't remember the whole game but I remember him not having swords to plowshares, he plays a meddling mage and names Smasher I have double TKS in hand, the first one sees 2 bolts FoW and wasteland, I take one bolt later he plays a SFM, I play the second TKS and choose the batterskull he just searched up, later he has to chump block with meddling mage, and I am able to swing for the win with smasher.

Finals!

Well after going undefeated I was finally on camera

https://www.twitch.tv/romariovidal/v/69153955

May 2016
    The Netherlands

well played (except for the attack with the 2/2 endless one into the goyf, but you already saw that :)).its funny to see that the bug player boarded in winter orb XD, our Eye's dont care.

i btw dont know why you whould cut the thorns side, instead of the spheres. the spheres are just worser thorns

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

@lilevo: Gratz!

Another league run, another 4-1, picking up my first loss against the Colorless Eldrazi build in the last round (10-1 now). But his hand was simply too stacked G2 and G3.

New league run, 2-0 so far:
    What suprises me is how I manage to keep winning vs Aggro Loam. Between Wastelands, KotR and Loam, one would expect a very shitty match-up, yet I somehow still pulls wins out of my ass. 5-0 in matches so far, but maybe I'm just incredibly lucky.

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

lol that attack was real bad btw as far as remember that was my only punt the whole day, the sphere thing might sound stupid but while I sleeving up the deck at 2 am I realized that I only own 2 thorn of amethyst and I really hate to play with proxies so yeah that's why I played with that list.

The Aggro Loam matchup is really interesting in that every player I talked to says its very much in favor for their deck (claiming to go X-0), but my testing shows that it's very 50/50. They may be slightly favored against the colorless version, but I'd put it even if not slightly unfavored against the W (or RW, not sure where Barook is w.r.t. obligators and the red splash right now) version. Displacers, and their lack of removal really prevents them from landing much of a kill. Postboard, Eldrazi either kills them super fast when they stumble, or just clogs the board until All is Dust wins it for you. This is the matchup where more than anything else I want to see Endbringers.

With that being said, it leads to a discussion I was having with someone I was testing with last night - is the success of the colorless version online due to the lack of decks like DnT and Lands, where displacer (at least on paper) seems miles better? For those playing the colorless version, how do you think it goes against those decks?

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Nocley View Post
    The Aggro Loam matchup is really interesting in that every player I talked to says its very much in favor for their deck (claiming to go X-0), but my testing shows that it's very 50/50. They may be slightly favored against the colorless version, but I'd put it even if not slightly unfavored against the W (or RW, not sure where Barook is w.r.t. obligators and the red splash right now) version. Displacers, and their lack of removal really prevents them from landing much of a kill. Postboard, Eldrazi either kills them super fast when they stumble, or just clogs the board until All is Dust wins it for you. This is the matchup where more than anything else I want to see Endbringers.

With that being said, it leads to a discussion I was having with someone I was testing with last night - is the success of the colorless version online due to the lack of decks like DnT and Lands, where displacer (at least on paper) seems miles better? For those playing the colorless version, how do you think it goes against those decks?
    aggromloam is a ok match. you can get wasteland locked or walk into turn 2 lilly. but sometimes they have hand with teeg, punishing fire and liliana and you have just a big board of fatties. after boarding bring in the leyline: no more loam (noloam ;)), 2/2 knights, dead shaman and no punishing fire combo, makes the deck less impressive.

i played a lot vs D&T and is it great for the collorless build. having 4 mother of ruins blanks main is sweet. i disagree that displacer is miles better there. if i land an endbringer in the D&T match, it is lights out most of the time, because they usualy use there plows early game.

lands is indeed a very bad match up for colorless
    Last edited by Noloam_; 05-30-2016 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    @lilevo: Gratz!

Another league run, another 4-1, picking up my first loss against the Colorless Eldrazi build in the last round (10-1 now). But his hand was simply too stacked G2 and G3.

New league run, 2-0 so far:
    What suprises me is how I manage to keep winning vs Aggro Loam. Between Wastelands, KotR and Loam, one would expect a very shitty match-up, yet I somehow still pulls wins out of my ass. 5-0 in matches so far, but maybe I'm just incredibly lucky.
    Do you have a link to your decklist and possibly a SB guide? I keep seeing your name on this thread but I haven't been able to find your list! Thanks a lot :)

May 2016
    The Netherlands

5-0'ed today. it was perhaps the hardest 5-0 ever, with almost all 2-1's

won from:

miracles (h0cusp0cus ^^. im doing my best to get him back to eldrazi ;))
    miracles
    jund
    esper stoneblade
    colorless eldrazi

my stomach turned around when i was 4-0 and the jund guy topdecked the lilly. while he was on 3 with no board and i had smasher. but thank God for the all is dust topdeck :).

i think i am close to the perfect colorless landbase now (i've tried combinations of 3/4 factory, 1/2 urborg, 3/4 eyes, 2/3/4 citys, 0/2/3/4 wastelands. i will discuss it with riehu in the future.

i boarded out 4 chalices, 2 warping wail and 2 spirit guides vs jund. i wanted to try 4 leyline, 2 rachet bombs and 2 all is dust. i still dont know if it is correct. but the punishing fire combo and goyfs can be really annoying
    Last edited by Noloam_; 05-31-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by planeswalkerzen View Post
    Do you have a link to your decklist and possibly a SB guide? I keep seeing your name on this thread but I haven't been able to find your list! Thanks a lot :)
    It's on page 22.

i think i am close to the perfect colorless landbase now (i tried combinations of 3/4 factory, 1/2 urborg, 3/4 eyes, 3/4 citys, 0/2/3/4 wastelands. i will discuss it with riehu in the future.
    do you mind sharing your numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Nocley View Post

In my experience, Aggro Loam is every bit as bad of a matchup as they make it out to be. Maybe I'm playing the deck wrong, maybe you're playing against weak 4c loam opponents, but good mulliganing by the 4c loam player always seems to result in them having the relevant pieces. The matchup in fact seems to be getting worse now that maindeck Depths/Stage and StP in the side are becoming more common thanks to Kronberger.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by the_goat View Post
    do you mind sharing your numbers?
    i think my list will be on mtg goldfish any moment.

4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Wasteland

maby even 1 city of traitors is the best build. there is almost no situation in which i like that card. having 2 cities in your opener is a mull. having 1 normal land and a city is very close to a mull. i only like it against decks like belcher or ANT, in which i can drop a turn 1 discoball. 4 cities is just madness
    Last edited by Noloam_; 05-31-2016 at 04:56 AM.

i think my list will be on mtg goldfish any moment.

4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Wasteland

maby even 1 city of traitors is the best build. there is almost no situation in which i like that card. having 2 cities in your opener is a mull. having 1 normal land and a city is very close to a mull. i only like it against deck like ANT, in which i can drop a turn 1 discoball. 4 cities is just madness
    Thx!
    I noticed you do not run Tower of the magistrate anymore...I loved it everytime I drew it...I even tested a build with double tower...anyway...de gustibus non est disputandum I suppose...

With my playgroup we were wondering if this deck (colorless build) could support full set of wasteland and crucible of words (with Zuran Orb perhaps) in the side
    Did anyone ever tested the card? Recursion of Waste and/or recovering your lands seems solid...

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by the_goat View Post
    Thx!
    I noticed you do not run Tower of the magistrate anymore...I loved it everytime I drew it...I even tested a build with double tower...anyway...de gustibus non est disputandum I suppose...

With my playgroup we were wondering if this deck (colorless build) could support full set of wasteland and crucible of words (with Zuran Orb perhaps) in the side
    Did anyone ever tested the card? Recursion of Waste and/or recovering your lands seems solid...
    yes tower is still great and i think it is reasonable to play them. i think the 2th urborg is better. making a mishras workshop out of 1 of my 4 eyes feels just abusive. your burn and tempomatch also becomes mutch better, taping the tomb can cost you games.

i think playing 1 or 2 zuron orbs is reasonable. i dont think i want to play crucible. eldrazi is an aggro deck, not a control deck.

2th 5-0 in two days.

Miracles (2-0)
    tinfins (2-1)
    Shardless bug (2-0)
    Esper blade (2-0)
    ANT (2-0)

So i've noticed that the colorless version only seems to help vs our already good matchups. Though the mana is a bit more stable.

The matchups I consider tough and expect to be a reasonable amount of GP.

In anticipation of columbus (Most popular top)

Miracles (good for all versions of the deck).
    Delver Variants (UR being the hardest) is colorless best here?
    Shardless BUG (not good for both variants, colorless better?)
    Death and Taxes (good for all versions)
    Mirror (More popular?, better for colored)
    Storm (good for all versions better for colorless)
    Show and Tell (Might be more popular than storm, worse for colorless by a lot)
    Infect (Haven't tested, but displacer >> reshaper)
    Lands (Bad for both versions, better for colored)

Anyone disagree with my characterizations? I played some more against grixis delver and have decided that matchup wasn't as bad as my initial testing, but still not great. Still don't have a sb plan I love, but 2 spatial contortions are a big game. The new rules on delver, make Ratchet bomb worse as well.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I am still fooling around with that WRG version with factories, but this is what I think the break down is personally (someone correct me if I am wrong):

Which Version is best against which decks:

Playing Against Colorless WG WR
    Miracles 3 1 2
    Delver Variants 3 1 2
    Shardless BUG 1 3 2
    Death and Taxes 1 2 3
    Mirror 3 2 1
    Storm 1 3 2
    Show and Tell 3 2 1
    Infect 3 2 1
    Lands 3 2 1

I think the above list is why I feel that the WRG mix is a viable and important next step for the colored versions, since it helps you be aggressive with obligator when you need it, while maintaining Breaker in the side and Displacer in the main.

Thread Information