Page 35 of 124 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Eldrazi Stompy

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [DTB] Eldrazi Stompy

@Noloam: Since you keep 5-0ing, I'm curious about your match-ups for analysis. It would be interesting to see if you ran just into good match-ups where the GW build would be just as good (if not better) or if there are matches where the colorless build is clearly superior (and if so, finding out what's the reason for that is important).

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    @Noloam: Since you keep 5-0ing, I'm curious about your match-ups for analysis. It would be interesting to see if you ran just into good match-ups where the GW build would be just as good (if not better) or if there are matches where the colorless build is clearly superior (and if so, finding out what's the reason for that is important).
    most of my 5-0 are based on playing one time at least against ANT. i have a anti storm package, that is just wrecking to them. so that is a bye. it seems like a always run into: 1 storm, 1 or 2 miracles, 1 delver, 2 randoms. if i run into 2 times shardless, there is a great chance i go 4-1 or 3-2 :(

i win 90% of my miracle matches. Ratchet bomb is just bonkers against all hate. 50/50 of the U/R matches. 40/60 of the team america matches (in their favour). and i lose a lot against esper stoneblade and BUG shardless. esper stoneblade is just not even funny

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Noloam_ View Post
    most of my 5-0 are based on playing one time at least against ANT. i have a anti storm package, that is just wrecking to them. so that is a bye. it seems like a always run into: 1 storm, 1 or 2 miracles, 1 delver, 2 randoms. if i run into 2 times shardless, there is a great chance i go 4-1 or 3-2 :(

i win 90% of my miracle matches. Ratchet bomb is just bonkers against all hate. 50/50 of the U/R matches. 40/60 of the team america matches (in their favour). and i lose a lot against esper stoneblade and BUG shardless. esper stoneblade is just not even funny
    Well, I just lost a match vs Esper because I misplayed G1 and should have killed the SFM instead of the Batterskull token. The 5/6 took over the game. Should have been a clean 2-0 instead, but I'm an idiot. The white build should still be able to put a better fight due to Displacer.

Your claims about Miracles are interesting. I'm currently 63,2% vs Miracles. Pre-board is pretty favorable and I win most of the times. The real trouble comes when they board in their Mentors, Wear/Tears and Blood Moon. What's your boarding strategy? Maybe I should bring in Thorn over World Breaker, anti-synergy with All is Dust be damned.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Well, I just lost a match vs Esper because I misplayed G1 and should have killed the SFM instead of the Batterskull token. The 5/6 took over the game. Should have been a clean 2-0 instead, but I'm an idiot. The white build should still be able to put a better fight due to Displacer.

Your claims about Miracles are interesting. I'm currently 63,2% vs Miracles. Pre-board is pretty favorable and I win most of the times. The real trouble comes when they board in their Mentors, Wear/Tears and Blood Moon. What's your boarding strategy? Maybe I should bring in Thorn over World Breaker, anti-synergy with All is Dust be damned.
    yes you bet your boots that GW is better vs all blade builds. you dont play thorns main. thats the whole difference vs mirracles. i board in all 4 extra disco balls postboard. Miracles then is just a clunky sitting duck, activating top, while getting smashes in the meanwhile. snapcaster + plow for 5 mana wont cut it.

my plan is just play 1 dude and attack with it untill it gets removed. never overextend. board out 1 city of traiters, 3 matter reshapers, 1 endbringer, 1 dismember, 1 jitte and the 2 simian spirit guides. bring in 1 all is dust , 2 needles, 2 ratchet bomb, 2 thorn, 2 sphere.

Mar 2007

yes you bet your boots that GW is better vs all blade builds. you dont play thorns main. thats the whole difference vs mirracles. i board in all 4 extra disco balls postboard. Miracles then is just a clunky sitting duck, activating top, while getting smashes in the meanwhile. snapcaster + plow for 5 mana wont cut it.

my plan is just play 1 dude and attack with it untill it gets removed. never overextend. board out 1 city of traiters, 3 matter reshapers, 1 endbringer, 1 dismember, 1 jitte and the 2 simian spirit guides. bring in 1 all is dust , 2 needles, 2 ratchet bomb, 2 thorn, 2 sphere.
    Blade is a dance on the razor's edge. Next round was vs Bant Blade that was lost because I drew my 7th mana land one turn too late for All is Dust in G3. But it's those little things that separate a 5-0 from a mediocre 3-2.

Obviously your deck is better vs Miracles with all those board cards. Needle on SDT is great (when it doesn't clash with Chalice). I'm not really sold on Sphere, though, as it hindered my quite a bit as well when I playtested it.

As for the Shardless match, note that my current GW build was constructed with Shardless in mind after getting horribly destroyed before. And it succeeded quite well in turning around the match-up, considering I'm currently 8-2 against them in matches, and those losses were mainly based on shitty variance. I would definitely try to drop the Faerie for a 3rd All is Dust. You're gonna need it. The lack of spot removal is also going to hurt you in that match. Is Pithing Needle really that much better overall than Warping Wail, which also has applications in the Miracle match-up and vs combo? Although I can see the nonbo with the "disco plan".

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Blade is a dance on the razor's edge. Next round was vs Bant Blade that was lost because I drew my 7th mana land one turn too late for All is Dust in G3. But it's those little things that separate a 5-0 from a mediocre 3-2.

Obviously your deck is better vs Miracles with all those board cards. Needle on SDT is great (when it doesn't clash with Chalice). I'm not really sold on Sphere, though, as it hindered my quite a bit as well when I playtested it.

As for the Shardless match, note that my current GW build was constructed with Shardless in mind after getting horribly destroyed before. And it succeeded quite well in turning around the match-up, considering I'm currently 8-2 against them in matches, and those losses were mainly based on shitty variance. I would definitely try to drop the Faerie for a 3rd All is Dust. You're gonna need it. The lack of spot removal is also going to hurt you in that match. Is Pithing Needle really that much better overall than Warping Wail, which also has applications in the Miracle match-up and vs combo? Although I can see the nonbo with the "disco plan".
    yes sphere does hinder yourself. but without a turn 1 or 2 turn 2 drop against ANT, you are basically dead. that is a insane record against shardless. what do you board in and out? yeah perhaps i do need to cut the faerie. its more an emotional call, because i get turn 1 entombed ,turn 2 reanimated 10/10 times. i also like it vs lands, because i already cutted my wastelands.

i board in needle against ALL wasteland decks. its also great vs sneaky show and belcher. so there is no way im gonna cut those, as long as i play wastelandless eldrazi. and yes the disco plan and the wails are kinda a nonbo, that why i cut 1 or 2 wails in the reanimate match also. i dont like the synergy with eye of ugin and the disco balls

Mar 2007

Finished my League run 3-2, matches being ANT (win), Esper & Bant Blade (loses), Miraces (win) and Esper Blade (win). 3 Blade decks out of 5 matches is a tad bit too much for my taste.

yes sphere does hinder yourself. but without a turn 1 or 2 turn 2 drop against ANT, you are basically dead. that is a insane record against shardless. what do you board in and out? yeah perhaps i do need to cut the faerie. its more an emotional call, because i get turn 1 entombed ,turn 2 reanimated 10/10 times. i also like it vs lands, because i already cutted my wastelands.

i board in needle against ALL wasteland decks. its also great vs sneaky show and belcher. so there is no way im gonna cut those, as long as i play wastelandless eldrazi. and yes the disco plan and the wails are kinda a nonbo, that why i cut 1 or 2 wails in the reanimate match also. i dont like the synergy with eye of ugin and the disco balls
    You're worried about Storm, out of all things, one of our best match-ups? I roflstomped them even without any discoball in my 75. Due to Displacer and Karakas, I'm also less worried about Reanimator.

I can see Sphere being good vs Shardless. The plan that turned out to work best is balls-to-the-walls aggro, with All is Dust back-up for the finishing touch. I board out Chalices (not that hot), Jitte and Displacers (not many good targets here, plus you deprive them of good AD targets this way). Maybe you should bring in Leyline instead to slow them down further, but I'm on the fence regarding it due to potential dead draws later on. Pithing Needle looks like a durdle card that double as AD target, and after trying all kinds of things against Shardless, you don't want durdle (even if it looks good on the paper), you want to smash their face in.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

Finished my League run 3-2, matches being ANT (win), Esper & Bant Blade (loses), Miraces (win) and Esper Blade (win). 3 Blade decks out of 5 matches is a tad bit too much for my taste.

You're worried about Storm, out of all things, one of our best match-ups? I roflstomped them even without any discoball in my 75. Due to Displacer and Karakas, I'm also less worried about Reanimator.

I can see Sphere being good vs Shardless. The plan that turned out to work best is balls-to-the-walls aggro, with All is Dust back-up for the finishing touch. I board out Chalices (not that hot), Jitte and Displacers (not many good targets here, plus you deprive them of good AD targets this way). Maybe you should bring in Leyline instead to slow them down further, but I'm on the fence regarding it due to potential dead draws later on. Pithing Needle looks like a durdle card that double as AD target, and after trying all kinds of things against Shardless, you don't want durdle (even if it looks good on the paper), you want to smash their face in.
    well thats is quite lucky i guess. Because only chalice and thought knots wont always do the trick. they can turn 1 discard, turn 2 go off quite easily. i played storm for 3 years in a row. yes the white build is great vs reanimate ^^

yes i play board in sphere on the play. it eats a fow a lot of times, which is great. needle is not otimal vs shardless i agree. But it can also catch a jace or liliana. yes i will try the leylines for sure the next time. i do like jitte in that match. it gets rid of the stupid strixes

i will board -2 thorn -4 chalice + 4 leyline +2 all is dust

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

What kind of list do you run?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Mar 2007

well thats is quite lucky i guess. Because only chalice and thought knots wont always do the trick. they can turn 1 discard, turn 2 go off quite easily. i played storm for 3 years in a row. yes the white build is great vs reanimate ^^

yes i play board in sphere on the play. it eats a fow a lot of times, which is great. needle is not otimal vs shardless i agree. But it can also catch a jace or liliana. yes i will try the leylines for sure the next time. i do like jitte in that match. it gets rid of the stupid strixes

i will board -2 thorn -4 chalice + 4 leyline +2 all is dust
    You also have Warping Wail and post-board Leyline. It's not that tragic.

As for Shardless, you have Smashers and Factories to deal with PWs.

The problem with Jitte is that you need to charge it first before it can kill a Strix. And more often than not, you have to run a creature into Strix to charge it, defeating the purpose. Getting your Jitte killed while expecting to get charge counters on it also spells trouble.

@Zombie: I linked the list last page.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

@Zombie: I linked the list last page.
    You should just put a link to your mtggoldfish archive in your signature. Maybe people stop asking then.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    You should just put a link to your mtggoldfish archive in your signature. Maybe people stop asking then.
    But that would also tempt people more often to look up my decklist when I'm playing against them. Otherwise, I would have done that already.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

For what it's worth I've been helping a friend test stompy decks by playing Miracles and Thorns have been really effective, quite surprisingly so. He's on Goblin Stompy, but I think the same logic will work here.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

What exactly are the AID mainly for? D&T I assume. But are there any matchups you like them in that you think I might be surprised?

Do you bring some number in vs Miracles?

Been playing your list as the gauntelt in preparation for Columbus, but I feel like there is lack of Blood Moon answers (Ratchet bomb or other). Is this a conscious decision because you don't expect blood moons or you just don't see them as a big deal?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by toor View Post
    What exactly are the AID mainly for? D&T I assume. But are there any matchups you like them in that you think I might be surprised?

Do you bring some number in vs Miracles?

Been playing your list as the gauntelt in preparation for Columbus, but I feel like there is lack of Blood Moon answers (Ratchet bomb or other). Is this a conscious decision because you don't expect blood moons or you just don't see them as a big deal?
    It's a conscious decision. Ratchet Bomb is a terrible answer to Blood Moon as it takes 4 (!) turns of durdling before doing anything of relevance. If you have a better solution to Blood Moon that isn't extremely narrow, I'm all ears, as SB slots are precious.

All is Dust is for control/midrange match-ups.

noloam's list got featured on the mothership today.

Apr 2016
    St. Louis, MO

It's a conscious decision. Ratchet Bomb is a terrible answer to Blood Moon as it takes 4 (!) turns of durdling before doing anything of relevance. If you have a better solution to Blood Moon that isn't extremely narrow, I'm all ears, as SB slots are precious.

All is Dust is for control/midrange match-ups.

noloam's list got featured on the mothership today.
    Wow, absolute honor it must be for him! Congrats noloam!

Grats noloam on having your list featured. Anyway, what is your gameplan vs delvers? The matchup feels extremely 50/50 to me. If we can land a t1 chalice, we can win unless they blind flip their delvers t1 and we dont draw removal in time. Is your gameplan similar to barooks and to just rush them down as hard as possible? In that case do you ignore the flipped delver as long as possible? Seeing your results, I was wondering what you brought in from the side to deal with them besides ratchet bomb.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

lel LSV used my bad list. my current list runs the 4 eyes

my gameplan is to board out 2 thorn and bring in 2 pithing needles. thats it. BUG delver is bad, the rest is Ok

btw ratchet bomb is perfect vs miracles. ever played against back to basics? its an absolute horror. you can sneak the rachet bomb in and you have the time to tick it up. no problem

Mar 2007

lel LSV used my wrong list.

my gameplan is to board out 2 thorn and bring in 2 pithing needles. thats it. BUG delver is bad, the rest is Ok
    You bring in Needle against Delver while boarding out Thorn?

@toor: Stuff like this is the reason to run All is Dust. It's your 7-mana "I win"-button.

May 2016
    The Netherlands

You bring in Needle against Delver while boarding out Thorn?

@toor: Stuff like this is the reason to run All is Dust. It's your 7-mana "I win"-button.

yup. thorn buys you one turn, while getting an delver swing or shaman drain in the meanwhile. that certainly is not impressive. if you get wastelanded while having a thorn i play, you really look silly. if they cant wasteland, you are just a better aggro deck. especially with the 4 caverns

rachet bomb is just an all star in a lot of matches. elves, storm, belcher etc

how whould your deck solve the back to basics problem, after you board gets plowed our terminused?

Thread Information